Revlon Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

4.3

Frosting Powder: Potassium Persulfate , Sodium Metasilicate , Sodium Stearate , Sucrose , Sodium Persulfate , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Sodium Chloride , Sodium Silicate , Silica , Hydrated Silica , EDTA , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Ultramarines (CI 77007) , Cream Developer: Aqua (Water) , Hydrogen Peroxide , Cetearyl Alcohol , Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral Oil) , Cyclopentasiloxane , Trimethylsiloxysilicate , Amodimethicone , C11-15 Pareth-7 , Laureth-9 , Trideceth-12 , Glycerin , Ceteareth-20 , Steareth-10 Allyl Ether , Acrylates Copolymer , Disodium Phosphate , Phosphoric Acid , EDTA , Methylparaben , After Highlighting Shampoo: Aqua (Water) , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide MEA , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Hydrolyzed Silk , Panthenol , Tocopheryl Acetate , Retinyl Palmitate , PEG-12 Dimethicone , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium C14-17 Alkyl SEC Sulfonate , Stearamine Oxide , Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose , PEG-23M , Propylene Glycol , Sodium Chloride , Citric Acid , Tetrasodium EDTA , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Parfum (Fragrance) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Limonene , Amyl Cinnamal , Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Red 4 (CI 14700) , Red 33 (CI 17200) , Yellow 6 (CI 15985) , After Highlighting Conditioner: Aqua (Water) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Behentrimonium Chloride , Linoleamidopropyl Dimethylamine Dimer Dilinoleate , Stearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Panthenol , Panthenyl Ethyl Ether , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine , Amodimethicone , Diisostearoyl Trimethylolpropane Siloxy Silicate , Isostearyl Glycolate , Triisostearyl Citrate , Diisostearyl Malate , Isostearyl Lactate , Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfoamate , Methoxypropylgluconamide , Ceteareth-20 , Hydroxyethylcellulose , Trideceth-12 , Cetrimonium Chloride , Parfum (Fragrance) , Isopropyl Alcohol , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde , Benzyl Benzoate , Citronellol , Amyl Cinnamal , Citric Acid , Methylparaben , Propylparaben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

I LOVE this Revlon Frost & Glow kit!!!! I have been getting my hair "highlighted" at the salon for the past 15 years or so. My highlights have never come out the way I wanted. Salons are sneaky. When they do your hair, they use special lighting and special toners for your hair. It's all magic and mirrors. You like your hair when they first do it, but days later those $120 highlights fade and get dull. I have a dark blonde color base (not natural of course :) and then I used to get partial highlights done. They looked okay the first and second day, but only because I hadn't washed my hair yet. After that, my highlights just faded into my dark blonde hair. It was disappointing, where the heck were my highlights?? I had to put up with the waiting, dishing out $120, plus hear salon gossip, ugh.
Sorry for the rant!! Now on to my rave review. This product offers better highlights/color than any salon I have ever been to. You apply this in the convenience of your own home, no waiting and none of the discomfort of waiting at the salon.
I bought the lightest kit, for light to dark blonde hair. The kit contains the cap, a double-sided spatula/hook, the plastic wrap to put over your processing hair, gloves, and of course the highlighting color and developer, and the tray to mix up the solution. It is a very complete kit, and all for $10.99 (I bought mine at Walgreen's). I know it's more inexpensive at Walmart or Target.

*NOTE* I do advise you buy a metal hook at Sally's Beauty Supply, instead of using the plastic hook that's included in the kit.. The metal hook really grabs the hair, and your time is cut in half, instead of using the flimsy plastic hook. I do like the cap in the kit, because it shows what sections to highlight. It's totally up to you, how much or how little highlighting you want. I bought the Magicap at Sally's,but that thing freaked me out. It felt like I was putting a condom on my head, haha!! I prefer the Frost & Glow cap for sure.

*The Application Process*
I was SO nervous before I started, I thought my hair would turn orange and I thought it could possibly fall or break off. My hair is damaged, and is colored and had semi-blonde highlights that were growing out. I was a bit skeptical. But I saw a few YT videos, and read all the wonderful rave reviews on Makeup Alley...so I went for it!!!! I put the cap on and tied it as tight as possible. I started in the back, and I did it all by myself. You can do it, just use a mirror, and if your arms get tired just take a little break. Next, I did the crown, the sides and lastly the front face framing pieces. I only pulled out hair from the circled holes, I wanted the dark blonde part peeking through. The strands I pulled out, were not too thick but also not super thin. I did all the sections, but I only pulled from the circled holes. It took about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Not bad at all, considering it was my first time and I did the back myself. I also took the bottom part of my hair that I didn't pull through, and I put that unprocessed part of my hair in a ponytail.
After the hair I wanted was pulled through, I started to mix the solution. Using a color brush, I dipped it in the solution (which is a pretty blue by the way) and applied it to my roots. Then, I took my gloved hands, and freely applied it all over the sections. It really is easier to just apply it with your hands. Make sure all the sections are saturated and as evenly coated as possible. I then took all the sections and put them on top of my head. I took the plastic wrap and put it over the top of my hair and clipped it in the front.

*The Processing Time*
I set the timer on my phone for 10 minutes, but I checked it after 5 minutes. It was definitely lightening, but it was kind of orangey. I set the timer for another 10 min., and checked after 5 min. again. Now it was ORANGE. No need to worry...you have to go through the orange stage in order for the color to lift. I had read reviews that said not to panic and wash it out or else you will have orange hair. I didn't wash it out of course. I repeated my time pattern...set timer for 10 min. and checked after 5 min. My hair was between orange and yellow, so it was definitely lifting to blonde. Again, I waited 10 min., checked at 5 min. and my hair was a light yellow, but the roots were still a little bit orange. I decided to leave it in for 10 more minutes. After the 10 min., my hair was a light yellow, (definitely, no orange in sight). That meant, all systems GO :) The total time I left it on was 50 minutes. Very important: you can't rush the process, everyone is different. I thought my hair would process sooner, because I was already blondish, but it took almost an hour. Just keep checking your hair every 5 minutes, and wait till your hair lifts to that pale yellow color.

*Washing/Removing the product*
I removed the plastic wrap and jumped in the shower. With the cap still on my head, I applied a generous amount of conditioner to my hair and the cap slid right off, no problem. I then shampooed my hair twice. I used the regular John Frieda Sheer Blonde Strengthening Shampoo and Conditioner. Next I applied the conditioner. I jumped out of the shower, to check the color quickly it was so light, but definitely not orange...WHEWWW!!!! I couldn't wait to blow dry, and if the highlights looked amazing on my wet hair...imagine it dry!! See below ;)

*Final Result*
I have beautiful, light golden, sun-kissed highlights all over my hair. Since I only used the circled holes, you can still see the variation of color...the light highlights and the dark blonde base. I LOVE my hair, the result is better than any salon, and it was under $20!!!! Oh, and my hair did NOT fall out, if anything, it looks healthier and so soft. I can't say enough good things about the Revlon Frost & Glow kit. Give it a shot, trust me...you will love it too!! No more salon

on 3/14/2013 1:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I just bought and used this. It works really really well, I have ombre and just added some more blonde to the bottom and added some to the front by my face. It is quite drying but works so well.
I gave up on going to the salon because they never give me what I want.
I left the product on for about 20 minutes and it pulled right through the already blonde part and pulled through the part that was brown by my face.
Would totally buy again!!! :)

on 2/16/2013 1:40:00 PM

I have been getting salon highlights since I was 15 and I'm 24 now. That's the only thing I've ever done to my hair, just love how natural they look. Lately my hair stylist was not leaving them on long enough even after I complied, very annoying. I wanted that really pale almost white blond and she just couldn't get it. So I started looking around and after reading all the reviews I was hooked. This product is wonderful! I left it on for 55mins and the color came out perfect, no brassiness or blotchy spots. I also through wella white lady toner on just for a little extra pick me and I'm so satisfied with my results. I used the one for blonde to light brown and it was perfect. My hair still feels healthy afterwards too so that's defiantly a bonus. Try it, you won't be disappointed:) also I took everyone's advice and put a metal hook at Sally's and had my husband pull through a lot of the back and whatever he couldn't reach, he actually said it was fun lol

on 2/8/2013 7:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I usually do not write reviews but i had to.....i have highlight before with so so results but after reading reviews on here and following some tips my highlights came out awesome!! Instead of using the kit for blondes like i usually do i got the honey highlights. I did the cap myself. I did by the magicap and metal hook from sally beauty supply and glad i did. This kit cost under $7.00 and looks like i went to the salon!!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this to do my ombre, in the "honey" color. It works well, the color comes out great. I don't usually use the cap but sometimes I will do a few highlights aroount the front. The packaging/mixing thingy kinda sucks but its like $6 so I can't complain.

on 2/6/2013 7:36:00 PM

Ok, I tried this product for the first time on my light-red dyed hair. It worked perfectly! I ended up with beautiful light-blonde highlights. I have a pixie cut and I used all the holes in the hat on the front, hoping to highlight my bangs. It took me about an hour to get the hair through the hat and apply the dye. Then I left it on for about 30 mins, checking often. It looks gorgeous, I'll definitely be using this product again.

on 2/4/2013 8:24:00 PM

Unfortunately I didn't have quite as good a result as almost everyone else! I do dye my hair quite frequently. In the past 8 years it's been every color you can imagine! Over the summer I had blond hair which I had highlighted every 6 weeks or so at the salon. When school rolled back around and I couldn't work as much, I dyed my hair a medium brown because I simply couldn't afford the highlights any longer. Over the following months I began missing my blond and used Colo Oops! to take out the brown with very little damage, and have been using ammonia free blond dyes to lighten my hair up. On a whim, I bought this kit to try to speed up the lightening process! I had my fiance help me with pulling my hair through the cap (poor baby!) and left the bleach on for only 20 minutes. The mid-level color has a 25 volume developer in it, so I wasn't too worried about damage -- but I should have been! Though my hair has been through a lot, I baby it like crazy. Before the bleach it was soft and had almost no signs of damage. As I was washing the bleach out, chunks of my hair were coming with it! I let it air dry, fearing heat would make it all fall out, and realized the last three inches of my long, pretty hair were completely destroyed. I ran right out the nest day and had most of the damage cut off and a moisturizing and repairing treatment done, but my hair is going to take several weeks of TLC to get back into any good shape. All that being said, the color really is gorgeous. No brassiness at all, even though I took it off after only 20 minutes. If you have virgin hair you might be able to pull this off, but if you color/heat style your hair often stay away!!

on 1/21/2013 1:44:00 AM

I bought this in the shade "Honey". I have black permanent dye on my hair, so I was really nervous about using this. I thought it'd come out orange and brassy. I was so wrong. It came out beautifully, no brassiness and little damage. Will definitely repurchase in the future when I need to touch it up. I do recommend doing a strand test (the kit has instructions) so that you know how long to leave it in your hair.

on 1/20/2013 2:54:00 PM

I loves this product!! Very cheap, got mine at cvs. I was really hesitant at first because I've bleached my hair before and damaged it pretty bad. This stuff was easy to use and my hair is still really soft! I would recommend doing the strand test first and taking off about 10 minutes due to the heat on your head processing it quicker. I used all the circles and ended up pulling very small amounts of hair through because I was scared it was going to be brassy! My hair looks like I walked out of a salon, if not better. No brassiness and my hair looks natural and beautiful ! I will definitely use again in a bout a week to add more around face frame area! If you want salon hair for cheap, I highly recommend this!

on 1/5/2013 6:34:00 PM

This product is great! I used it for the first time today and was amazed at the results. Like other reviews have said, the finished product looks like I got my hair done in a salon! My hair is naturally a dark dishwater blonde so for years I have been trying at home color to try and lighten it with minimal success. I usually end up with it turning brassy and then end up at the salon getting highlights to cover up the brassiness. I was again at that point where the color did not look good but with money tight did not want to go to the salon again and then I read reviews for Revlon Frost and Glow. I figured the worst that could happen is I would end up at the salon. For $6.99 my hair looks fabulous and I will never go back to all over color or the salon for highlights again. Mad that I have spent so much money over the years on bad color and expensive salon visits! It was time consuming but I was able to do it by myself and once I got the hang of pulling the hair through the cap it was really not too bad. I left the mixture on for 30mn but could have probably rinsed it out sooner but I know my hair alway comes up quickly. Color is a perfect blonde that blends in perfectly.