November 28, 2014 | 1435 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by CamoCutie

Unfortunately I didn't have quite as good a result as almost everyone else! I do dye my hair quite frequently. In the past 8 years it's been every color you can imagine! Over the summer I had blond hair which I had highlighted every 6 weeks or so at the salon. When school rolled back around and I couldn't work as much, I dyed my hair a medium brown because I simply couldn't afford the highlights any longer. Over the following months I began missing my blond and used Colo Oops! to take out the brown with very little damage, and have been using ammonia free blond dyes to lighten my hair up. On a whim, I bought this kit to try to speed up the lightening process! I had my fiance help me with pulling my hair through the cap (poor baby!) and left the bleach on for only 20 minutes. The mid-level color has a 25 volume developer in it, so I wasn't too worried about damage -- but I should have been! Though my hair has been through a lot, I baby it like crazy. Before the bleach it was soft and had almost no signs of damage. As I was washing the bleach out, chunks of my hair were coming with it! I let it air dry, fearing heat would make it all fall out, and realized the last three inches of my long, pretty hair were completely destroyed. I ran right out the nest day and had most of the damage cut off and a moisturizing and repairing treatment done, but my hair is going to take several weeks of TLC to get back into any good shape. All that being said, the color really is gorgeous. No brassiness at all, even though I took it off after only 20 minutes. If you have virgin hair you might be able to pull this off, but if you color/heat style your hair often stay away!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2013 1:44:00 AM More reviews by winghearted

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this in the shade "Honey". I have black permanent dye on my hair, so I was really nervous about using this. I thought it'd come out orange and brassy. I was so wrong. It came out beautifully, no brassiness and little damage. Will definitely repurchase in the future when I need to touch it up. I do recommend doing a strand test (the kit has instructions) so that you know how long to leave it in your hair.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 2:54:00 PM More reviews by AbigailHope

I loves this product!! Very cheap, got mine at cvs. I was really hesitant at first because I've bleached my hair before and damaged it pretty bad. This stuff was easy to use and my hair is still really soft! I would recommend doing the strand test first and taking off about 10 minutes due to the heat on your head processing it quicker. I used all the circles and ended up pulling very small amounts of hair through because I was scared it was going to be brassy! My hair looks like I walked out of a salon, if not better. No brassiness and my hair looks natural and beautiful ! I will definitely use again in a bout a week to add more around face frame area! If you want salon hair for cheap, I highly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 6:34:00 PM More reviews by chrikat

This product is great! I used it for the first time today and was amazed at the results. Like other reviews have said, the finished product looks like I got my hair done in a salon! My hair is naturally a dark dishwater blonde so for years I have been trying at home color to try and lighten it with minimal success. I usually end up with it turning brassy and then end up at the salon getting highlights to cover up the brassiness. I was again at that point where the color did not look good but with money tight did not want to go to the salon again and then I read reviews for Revlon Frost and Glow. I figured the worst that could happen is I would end up at the salon. For $6.99 my hair looks fabulous and I will never go back to all over color or the salon for highlights again. Mad that I have spent so much money over the years on bad color and expensive salon visits! It was time consuming but I was able to do it by myself and once I got the hang of pulling the hair through the cap it was really not too bad. I left the mixture on for 30mn but could have probably rinsed it out sooner but I know my hair alway comes up quickly. Color is a perfect blonde that blends in perfectly.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2013 1:03:00 PM More reviews by beachsexybronze

Ive been using this since I was 18 years old (now in my early 30's). This has been the absolute best highlighting kit, that never gives my dark hair brassiness, and always comes out a perfect cool honey blonde, and gets more better everytime I touch it up!

I used to paint biolage streaks in my hair using a comb but recently started using the cap, and although it can take a bit long to really get the perfect strands out, it works great everytime.

One thing you can do to make sure you get to the root as much as possible is make sure the cap is as tight as you can.

*I also use the highlighting cap when wanting to make permanent hair color streaks-works really perfect too! Plus I always worry about the PPD toxic dye touching my scalp, so I sometimes use the highlighting cap and use ALL of the holes and use a permanent hair color, then a week later I then use the highlighting cap for the highlights and only use the "circled" holes. ;)

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2013 1:23:00 PM More reviews by unrelatedwaffle

I read about 10 pages of comments on this review and watched all the tutorials on YouTube before doing this kit. I have dishwater blonde hair naturally, which was dyed a medium ash blonde. Unfortunately, my hair came out almost completely bleach blonde, not really highlighted. If you have really fine hair (like me!), pull about HALF as much hair through the holes (or use only the circles) as people in the tutorials. Because of the fineness of the hair, the same amount to the naked eye as someone with thicker hair is actually a lot more.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Norva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Impressive product! I was scared to death to try to frost/highlight my own hair, but after using the product I will definitely be doing it from now on. For the last several years I've been coloring my own hair due to never having time for the salon and not wanting to fork out the money. But, I've never been very happy with the all over one color look. When I was going to a salon I was getting a weave of colors to cover/blend in my grays. I wanted to go back to doing that since the all over color damages my fine hair so much and I'm tired of my hair being so dark. But I was also afraid to try lighter or blonder colors. So, today I used this product on my dark auburn color (my natural color is med brown with 50% gray) and it looks wonderful. My hair is about 4 inches past my shoulders. I had no problem pulling through the cap whatsoever. It took about 20 minutes. I thought perhaps I wasn't getting enough hair through, but it turned out just right. I used only the circled holes. Next time I will likely use all of them. It didn't seem to damage my hair at all and my hair damages easily. I left it on about 40 minutes. Gosh, I just wish I'd done this several years ago!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by callipiter10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't usually write reviews, but this product deserves it. I have used various different brands of home hair color but always end up with brassy/ orange hair, and end up having to go to the salon anyways to get it fixed. I heard good things about this product, and decided to give it a shot, even though I was not expecting much. I used the blonde color, and it looks just as good if not better than when I go to the salon for highlights that cost more than $100.I have used it twice now. I say give this product a shot.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2012 9:14:00 PM More reviews by slowmotiongirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AMAZING.

I am never paying salon prices again. I was in a quandry this morning, as I had the impulsive urge to get my hair highlighted, but didn't feel right shelling out the cash to get it done professionally.

Read the reviews and went for it, and I am extremely impressed. I did the honey highlights for my medium brown hair. It turned out natural, professional, and beautiful looking.

The only negative aspect is that it is quite labor intensive. Simple and easy to do, but labor intensive none the less. It is best you have someone with you to help you out, specifically with the back parts. I struggled awkwardly for over an hour with a mirror trying to get the crown and back finished, and eventually gave up as I had no one with me to help. But it still looks brilliant just as a half head.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 3:19:00 AM More reviews by pianadark

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product really delivers- especially for a $7 drugstore kit. I wanted to write a review on this because of all the wonderful, helpful reviews that made me brave enough to attempt highlighting my own hair. I read just about every review and had my kit stored in my closet for months before i had the courage to try it. This was the first time I have ever highlighted my hair myself without going to a professional. What kept me from trying this? Fear of brassy, orange hair and uneven color... none of which happened. This has got a seriously good rating here for being a hair color product with bleach. Revlon is doing something right.

I typically pull really brassy, orange hair when I use any sort of lightening agent or bleach. I have course, thick, Asian hair (notoriously hard to lift, doesn't take color well). I was getting frustrated spending around $145 at various Chicago salons for highlights because my hair would barely lift and i never felt completely satisfied with the end result, especially for what i was paying plus the 2 hours at the salon. With the Revlon kit in Honey, I was able to go from a level 6 light-medium golden brown to beautiful caramel and honey highlights. I purchased the Magicap from Sally's but decided that the Revlon was easier to use and fit my head better, though I did use the metal hook from the purple Magicap. Love that the bleach mixture is blue to tone down any brass/orange. In my opinion, the cap was snug and very easy to use. Both hooks worked fine and didn't hurt even though I poked through the holes along the way. The process overall was not as bad as I had expected.

I was scared to do allover highlights in case the root area turned out brassy or the ends wouldn't lift as evenly. I only wanted highlights placed on the middle to bottom layers of my hair, so I went straight across my head starting at the temples, pulling small pieces out of only the circled holes. It took 45 minutes to pull the strands carefully. 5 Min to apply the color. The full 60 minutes to lift my resistant hair to a light caramel brown-honey blonde. I waited for the most of the orange to disappear and rinsed when I started seeing a peachy blonde. Remember: if you're not sure when to rinse or have any feeling it will still be a bit orange, wait 5-10 min and check again! Too light and not brassy is always better than orange and brassy. You can always tone down too-light hair color with a demi permanent dye if necessary. (I like Wella in the blue box from Sally's) The highlights come out very blended and subtle with two small pulls of hair with a metal hook. The plastic one included pulls out larger sections. With the metal hook and two pulls per hole, I had blended highlights that were nowhere near chunky or too subtle. Just very well blended, fine to medium thickness. Looks very professional and brightened up my hair overall with sun kissed looking highlights.

Some advice:
-Like many others have said, don't freak out and rinse early. Get past the orange stage. The highlights will blend in more and look better after drying.
-Tie or pin back all unhighlighted hair and if any of the bleach mixture gets on it, wash it off very thoroughly. This bleach is very strong and even when I got tiny wisps of hair slightly covered in the mixture, then wiped it off, it still came out a tad lighter than the hair around it.
-Strand test every 10 minutes and check from root to the ends to ensure the color is evenly lifted.
-If you have long hair and want to do full highlights, I'd recommend buying 2 kits. One kit was perfect for half a head of highlights on hair length that is just past my chest.

Hope this helps and good luck!

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No