Philosophy Purity Made Simple (Real Purity Cleanser)

3.7

Water, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Sodium Trideceth Sulfate, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Coco-Glucoside, Coconut Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil, Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20, Glycerin, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Yellow 5 (Ci 19140).

on 11/1/2014 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Misleading! "Purity is natural", the label starts out....
Parabens and yellow 5 are not "natural" options. I've had this cleanser for over a year and never liked it. Rarely use it, as It causes little bleeding sores on my face. I want to like it. Tonight I read the label for the first time and am disappointed by the poetic jargon about innocence and purity and feeling blessed....then the ingredients which include several known to cause cancer in mice. It doesn't leave my face feeling hydrated as it claims it will.
I like some Philosophy products, but seems they are trying to destroy consumers' purity with this one! More like putridity! Farewell, purity!

on 10/29/2014 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Harsh and drying. Seemed to work really well in the first couple of weeks but continued use hurt my skin very badly. I used it last night, for example, and today the skin on my forehead is tight, itchy and it feels like I have cuts on my skin or something- I can't see any but this might be causing micro ruptures on the skin. Of course I have no evidence of that, so it is just an hypothesis. What I do now, and have evidence of, is that this product is harsh and it hurt my skin.

In fact, I bought a try me kit containing this product, Hope in a Jar day, Hope in a Jar night and the Microdelivery facial wash. In the first couple of weeks my skin was glowing and the breakouts I had been struggling with on my chin were healing nicely (aided by localized application of benzoyl peroxide). However, continued use caused my skin to have a bumpy texture, flaking, peeling, breakouts like I never had before (both in type and location) and severe dehydration.

I would stay away from this product if I were you. I actually feel silly because I bought into the hype just like that. The list of ingredients is also alarming, too many ingredients and too many essential oils. I like the scent and the packaging but I am not using this ever again and I already threw my bottle in the bin!

on 10/19/2014 3:12:00 PM

I read some of the reviews below, and I can honestly say, if this does not "melt away your makeup", it means you did not use this correctly. Over the past 5 years or so, I used up maybe 4 giant tubs of this. The correct way to use this is to use it DRY on your face when you have makeup on. Kind of like a oil cleanser. You gently message your face, including your eyes, as if doing a mini facial, if it becomes dry, add a tiny bit of water, and keep going. After you rinse it off, you usually don't need to re-cleanse your face, because it rinses clean with no oily film behind. But if you want to, you can re-cleanse your face with it, this time, you can use it with your face and hands wet, and this cleanser will act like a normal cleanser that foams. It takes away WATERPROOF makeup, even waterproof mascara in a heartbeat. In any case, this keeps my face super clean. I admit it is slightly drying, but it is not close to some of the other cleansers in terms of drying out my face. It keeps any pimples and such at bay, and I have exclusively used this for a very long time. The biggest bottle is the best value, and it lasts a very very long time. It is a yearly ritual for me now to use my Sephora 20% off on two bottles of Purity, one for me, one for my mom. I have sensitive skin, rarely breaks out, but gets red easily, and I wear makeup very often. My mom has dry skin, and she only uses waterproof sunscreen everyday. This works very well for both of us. I hope Philosophy would print the correct way to use this on its bottle, so that consumers will not be mislead and think it's ineffective. If you could buy a little bottle at Sephora, I highly recumbent you to try it out!

on 10/19/2014 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Ok....no. Bottom line this cleanser does nothing that my Cetaphil cleanser doesn't do and better. This leaves my already dry skin feeling a little drier after I wash my face and it takes extra rinses for me to feel like it's ALL rinsed off.

on 10/18/2014 10:41:00 PM

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've heard so much about this cleanser from various YouTube videos and online reviews that I just had to try it! I bought the trial/sample size at sephora for $10 since I definitely did not want to buy the full size for around $40. Thank god I didn't! I've only used this cleanser a handful of times but I can honestly say that it's one of the most overrated products. Not hating on it in anyway, it's just I expected so much since everyone raves about it, and I was left completely disappointed. In my opinion there's nothing special about this cleanser. If you do decide to try it I would go with the smallest size to test whether you like it or not. That way you don't waste your money.

on 10/18/2014 7:40:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This did not take off all of my makeup, and I only wear a little bit of Bare Minerals. I'm very simple, so the idea of this face wash was very appealing. It does say right on the bottle that it deep cleans and melts away makeup, well it didn't for me. I tried washing my makeup brushes with it, it did an ok job at that but I still re washed them with shampoo because they felt like they had a residue. I hate the smell of this, and if you get any tiny bit of the foam in your mouth it tastes HORRIBLE. It also mildly irritates my eyes and does nothing to help my acne prone skin. It's going back to Ulta!

on 10/13/2014 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is the most overrated, crap product I have ever used in my entire life. Not only does it suck, I don't feel it gets the makeup off my skin at all. It is suppose to "melt your makeup off your face" as the people on QVC state (if you have ever watched the Phiosophy special they have). That too is a lie. It doesn't melt anything. I have to go back and rewash my face after using this product.

The ONE and ONLY thing that I can and will say on a positive note about this product, and I am not sure if it was the cleanser or something else, was that I had a spot on my face from where I picked at a pimple (yes, I know) and it actually cleared up the red mark and it made it go away. I think that was more from the use of the hope in a jar than the actual purity product. With that said, I will never use this product again, and hope this will save many people money.

on 10/11/2014 4:41:00 AM

I've already used up two or three big bottles of this cleanser. It works so well with my clarisonic mia and does a great job in removing my makeup. The texture of the cleaner is so gentle and the smell is so calming. HOWEVER!! I finally realize this is the one that cause me BREAKOUT after I've used up two bottles.... I had breakouts and pimples on my chin and forehead during the period of using this cleanser. I thought it was because of my period and sleeping too late at night. I switched to Kiehl's after and my chin stopped breaking out. After i finished the Kiehl's I started using the philosophy again, and there the breakouts come n say hello. It also causes my husband breakouts after he uses this. He doesn't like the sneaky feeling of this cleanser.

on 10/3/2014 8:00:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Other

I've been breaking out like crazy recently, Just loads of little spots and bumps, and I'm not even too prone to breakouts. All my other skin products I've been using for a while so this cleanser must be the cause of the problems. Luckily I bought the smallest bottle size they did, but it's still way too overpriced for what it is. It didn't particularly hydrate my dehydrated combination skin either, and doesn't remove a lot of makeup. Overall, not great.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I wanted to love this cleanser so much so I bought a second bottle. My skin rebelled against me.