October 21, 2014 | 1988 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by asa805

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i have been using this for about 5 months now. It is AMAZING! My skin is completely transformed. Gone are those pesky pre-menstrual cysts/zits that i would get EVERY month like clockwork and would take 1-2 weeks to disappear, just in time to give me a couple weeks of decent skin before the vicious cycle began again. I was about to consider upping my spiro dose (25 mg a day) but thankfully I found this product thanks to the advice of MUA'ers. It is unreal. So good. The first few weeks I did notice that my pores looked a little large and perhaps had a tiny bit of purging. The stinging never really bothered me that much, i kind of liked it and it made me know it was working. My overall complexion is improved. Smaller pores, less bumps, less blotchy and slight reduction in eye area wrinkles. THis did nothing for my forehead wrinkles but i wasnt really expected it to. I just bought 2 more bottles of this plus 2 souffles and 2 Resq during the online sale. I plan to alternate products. Not sure how much better my skin can get though. Never thought i'd say that. NOw if only i can find some way to permanently remove my greys and forehead wrinkles and I am set! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/17/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by kisshippie13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a great moisturizer for people with combination to oily skin or acne prone skin.

I have combination/acne prone skin.

I use this stuff as my nighttime moisturizer. I love it!
So far, after about 2 weeks of using it, it has made my skin more radiant. And by radiant, I mean it has toned down the red spots all over my face from acne scarring, and it makes my skin glow. It also makes it less oily, pores are smaller, and face is smoother.

Only con is that it can sting quite a bit on breakouts. But you get used to it. It also makes your face red for about an hour after you use it (hint why I use it at night)

I think my skin is in the last of the "purging" phase, because my breakouts are getting smaller and fewer.
I paid 12 dollars for this and this bottle is HUGE. Will last a long time.

Will DEFINITELY repurchase!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2012 5:04:00 AM More reviews by yelloats

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I found that using this before i apply moisturizer stings really badly (like to completely bare skin). ive used it for about 2 weeks where i put on my eye cream FIRST and then neutrogena acne lotion along with my olay age defying night cream and last i use this alpha hydrox on my chin, nose, cheeks and forehead, avoiding my eye area as much as possible. i found that using all my face lotions/moisturizers first reduces the intensity of the sting. i have definitely seen improvements in my skin. for anyone who suffers dry nose area, this will definitely help with that. my skin is noticeably more even than it was before as well :)

GOOD STUFF and u can find it at marshalls or TJmaxx for a little cheaper

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been using this for about a month now and couldn't be happier. After graduating high school, my acne started going out of control. College was probably the worst my skin has ever looked. Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide both just irritated the mess out of my skin, and left me dried out and flaky. My skin was dehydrated, and overcompensated oil production, so not only was my skin rough and flaky, but it was an oil slick. Worst combo ever. I started taking birth control a little over a year ago, and it completely cleared up my body acne, and significantly decreased the amount of breakouts on my face. But I still had deep, painful breakouts along my jawline. They seemed to happen around my period, but they'd linger for weeks, and then leave a mark that stayed for months. My skin also became much drier, the oiliness is gone now. I came across this lotion while browsing makeupalley, and decided to pick some up. Best decision ever.

I've been using this twice daily, and the results are fantastic. After two days, the breakouts I had on my chin had come to the surface, and were easily extracted (so shoot me, I'm a picker. I know, I know.). I noticed within one use that my skin was much, much softer. Even with meticulous physical exfoliation, I'd almost always have a rough patch on each cheek. After one use, I had baby soft skin all over, and it had only gotten better every day since then. After one week, I could definitely notice the lightening of post-acne marks. And now, at the one month mark, an unintentional but welcomed side effect: my fine lines are disappearing. I know this is sold as a wrinkle treatment, but I was so focused on the acne that I had completely forgotten about that aspect of it. I'm only 20 so I don't have any serious wrinkles, but I've had fine lines around my mouth since I was 18 or so. Since using this, the lines on one side of my mouth are gone completely, and on the other side, they're extremely faded. My skin hasn't been this smooth and glowy, well, ever. It's the greatest feeling in the world to not have one single pimple on my face. It's been years since I knew what that felt like.

After I wash my face at night, I put a thin layer of this all over, wait a couple of minutes for it to sink in, then follow up with my moisturizer (a few drops of jojoba oil). It stings and prickles a little bit, but I'm a huge baby when it comes to pain, so if I can handle it, anyone can. Besides, it goes away after a minute or two. I think your skin builds a tolerance to it too, because sometimes now when I use it, I don't feel a thing. In the morning when I wake up, I rinse my face off with water only, and then apply another layer of this, then jojoba oil, then sunscreen. Spf is important. The second day I used this, I took my dog out for a quick walk (ten minutes, tops), and came inside to find my cheeks and nose bright red. In a way, this lotion is incentive to not be lazy, and remember to wear my sunscreen every day.

I'm going to keep using this for a long, long time. It's so nice not to NEED foundation and concealer anymore. Honestly last week I teared up when I saw my face in the mirror without any makeup on. Happy tears. It's a big confidence booster.

20 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by kmkaram

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been using this lotion for about 3 weeks and I can tell a difference in my skin's texture and pore size. I think, like with every product, it's important to read the description and research the effectiveness of 10% glycolic acid. I have sensitive skin, dry to combination, so I did not want something to dry my skin out further. I also only use this product at night, using a good moisturizer (I use Embryolisse) and an SPF. I'm sure more normal skin types could use this morning and night with a daytime SPF. It is important, though, to give the skin time to recover- over exfoliating isn't beneficial for any skin type. So when I see my skin is smooth and clean, I skip a night and use moisturizer rather than the glycolic.

Regarding the ingredients, some reviewers have pointed out that ammonia is an ingredient and commented with shock and horror that this is window cleaner! But all it takes is a google search to find out that different ammonia derivatives are used in cosmetics and even food for its anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties. This is certainly an important factor when you are sloughing off the top layer of your skin!

In general this is a mild but effective lotion that I am sure to continue purchasing. And the price--at less than a 1/5 of other similar products like Alpha A Liquid Gold-- makes it affordable for me to treat my skin the way an esthetician would recommend.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by LaFemmNoir

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this almost 3 months now, so I think I can leave a credible review. Verdict: I LOVE THIS. It has made such a difference in my skin. For context: my skin was oily, olive complexioned, with mild acne and general unevenness of skin-tone, with acne scarring. It has done wonders for scarring and unevenness in particular. This is an unscented lotion with 10% glycolic acid. If you have highly sensitive skin or can not handle acidic skin-treatments this may not work for you, but most people I think can find benefit from this if they are patient and allow their skin to adjust to the lotion. I was impatient to try it at first but did a patch test on my jawline (please do the patch test, just to be safe) and 3 days later, began applying a small amount of lotion to my skin before bed. This lotion makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight so it is prudent to acclimate yourself by applying this at night, where sunlight can not aggravate your skin.First of all, it really does moisturize. Secondly, when you are first becoming acclimated, it may sting or itch a little. PLEASE hold fast, because it really works. By week two, I saw a noticeable improvement in skin-tone. By week 3 I was getting compliments on my skin. I go home from college for a week and leave the lotion behind, my skin feels gross and grimy and starts looking dull. I come back and go back to the lotion and all is well again. Like a dummy I was lazy with my sunscreen. WEAR SUNSCREEN. I was finding redness across my cheeks and nose, it was distressing. I realized it was the lotion so I stopped using it. My skin calmed down but it didn't look or feel as nice, so I re-acclimated myself to the lotion, this time, I was religious with my sunscreen. My skin was back to looking smooth and even and feeling clean. and this time, no redness! I wear this everyday, applying once in the morning and once at night. While I owe a large part of my current complexion to hormonal birth control pills, my skin never looked this good until I started using the AHA lotion, and I'd been using the BCP months before I found this. My skin is now a bit less oily, my scars completely faded out, my complexion more even, and my acne has improved too. Even with BCP I'd get pimply or get whiteheads in tandem with my prescription's scheduling, and so long as I use this lotion I no longer have to worry about it. It really is a great feeling to not have to worry about acne anymore. I also recommended this to a friend and she too has reported glowing results. If it doesn't work for you facial skin try applying it on your arms and legs, it also really helps with Keratosis Pilaris, and prevents ingrown hairs.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by DJ89

This is my first review ever!! Im forever reading reviews but this deserved a review!! I remember reading some reviews on here about this product and it's affectiveness for acne and when I did last use it I think it worked pretty well but for some reason I stopped. Lately however I have had the worst breakout mainly on my chin area (hormones gotta love em) so neways I was getting pretty damn frustrated so I decided to try this out again. WELL first off let me just say it does sting like a mother on first application but u get used to it after a while. I was aware of the potential initial breakout some of u have mentioned and sure enough a week into using this lotion I had an awful awful breakout. Bear in mind I only use this on my chin area but it got so bad I was so close to stopping. Boy am I glad I didn't because after 5 whole weeks of purging, yes 5 WEEKS, now I do not wake up to new painful spots and my skin had cleared out nicely and marks were fading. This is truly amazing and I hope they never stop making it! I mean the purging is awful but I promise it is worth it because once all that bad stuff is brought to the surface u will thank this lotion!!!!! Been using it for just over 5 weeks so will update if there's any changes. Patience is the key with this product.
UPDATE: ok so I started using this for my stubborn chest and back acne that just wouldn't go away! I started using this beginning of feb 2013 and now 3 months later my acne is gone! I am sooo happy nothing I mean nothing has helped before! I purged a little at first but now along with the neutrogena body clear body wash that I use in the shower, my chestne and backne is gone!! Now I just need to work on fading dark marks and some scars which this is already helping but I'm gonna speed it up a little by using muac's 5 acid body peel which has 20% lactic acid..I've not started using it yet but will def write a review once I have! If ur suffering from breakouts face or body, get yourself this alpha hydrox ASAP!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by renemy

I had great luck with the 8% exfoliating cream so when I ran out I decided to upgrade to this. This is just not as good for me. It feels oilier, rather than smooth and creamy, and worst of all, it makes my skin very rough and bumpy. I think it must be congesting my skin. This does not fade acne scars and it smells like white glue. I know this product gets great reviews, but like all things in life, there is no one size fits all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Icaria

I must admit from the get go that I wasen't too impressed by the texture. Still I figured I'd use it for a while to see if it was as effective as the NeoStrata I was accustomed to. I don't think it is. It's almost watery when I put it on. This morning I woke up with two little pimples on my nose. This is not purging I know. I NEVER get 2 pimples at the same time. I get a tiny one once in a blue moon. Now, I have one on the tip of my nose (very elegant) & the other on the side. Yuck! I was so happy to finally put my hands on this & at $6 CAD it was like double whammy! Still, it's not a loss, I'll use it on décolleté, arms, hands & probably will repurchase for that purpouse since it's so affordable. Just not for my face. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 11:42:00 PM More reviews by KandEandS

Why is this thing Great? it contains glycolic acid which is an exfoliant itself. This stuff exfoliates your skin and moisturizing its at the same time. In my case I stopped using my exfoliating foam cleanser even if only using it 2x a week.

I have minor skin discoloration, i rarely break out (only during i use cerave pm) I have very few scattered freckles though that i am fine with. Now, on to this stuff, I noticed after a month of using it as a nightcream it gives you a glow in the morning or after you wake up! smooth face and just refreshed look. The fact that I am dreading is when I am about to apply it on my face, the smell is overwhelming to me (kind of acidic smell) it doesnt sting though and its creamy enough that it glides on smoothly.

I am totally torn if I will repurchase this product in the future I just found out it has amonia that is also used as one of the ingredients of window cleanser and just cleaners in general.

But it gave me the result that I need so I might have to suffer the consequence later on but for now I am LUVIN it.