September 22, 2014 | 1215 users online

Moisturizers - Alpha Hydrox - Enhanced Lotion - 10% AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2012 1:08:00 PM More reviews by kmkaram

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been using this lotion for about 3 weeks and I can tell a difference in my skin's texture and pore size. I think, like with every product, it's important to read the description and research the effectiveness of 10% glycolic acid. I have sensitive skin, dry to combination, so I did not want something to dry my skin out further. I also only use this product at night, using a good moisturizer (I use Embryolisse) and an SPF. I'm sure more normal skin types could use this morning and night with a daytime SPF. It is important, though, to give the skin time to recover- over exfoliating isn't beneficial for any skin type. So when I see my skin is smooth and clean, I skip a night and use moisturizer rather than the glycolic.

Regarding the ingredients, some reviewers have pointed out that ammonia is an ingredient and commented with shock and horror that this is window cleaner! But all it takes is a google search to find out that different ammonia derivatives are used in cosmetics and even food for its anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties. This is certainly an important factor when you are sloughing off the top layer of your skin!

In general this is a mild but effective lotion that I am sure to continue purchasing. And the price--at less than a 1/5 of other similar products like Alpha A Liquid Gold-- makes it affordable for me to treat my skin the way an esthetician would recommend.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 11:07:00 PM More reviews by LaFemmNoir

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this almost 3 months now, so I think I can leave a credible review. Verdict: I LOVE THIS. It has made such a difference in my skin. For context: my skin was oily, olive complexioned, with mild acne and general unevenness of skin-tone, with acne scarring. It has done wonders for scarring and unevenness in particular. This is an unscented lotion with 10% glycolic acid. If you have highly sensitive skin or can not handle acidic skin-treatments this may not work for you, but most people I think can find benefit from this if they are patient and allow their skin to adjust to the lotion. I was impatient to try it at first but did a patch test on my jawline (please do the patch test, just to be safe) and 3 days later, began applying a small amount of lotion to my skin before bed. This lotion makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight so it is prudent to acclimate yourself by applying this at night, where sunlight can not aggravate your skin.First of all, it really does moisturize. Secondly, when you are first becoming acclimated, it may sting or itch a little. PLEASE hold fast, because it really works. By week two, I saw a noticeable improvement in skin-tone. By week 3 I was getting compliments on my skin. I go home from college for a week and leave the lotion behind, my skin feels gross and grimy and starts looking dull. I come back and go back to the lotion and all is well again. Like a dummy I was lazy with my sunscreen. WEAR SUNSCREEN. I was finding redness across my cheeks and nose, it was distressing. I realized it was the lotion so I stopped using it. My skin calmed down but it didn't look or feel as nice, so I re-acclimated myself to the lotion, this time, I was religious with my sunscreen. My skin was back to looking smooth and even and feeling clean. and this time, no redness! I wear this everyday, applying once in the morning and once at night. While I owe a large part of my current complexion to hormonal birth control pills, my skin never looked this good until I started using the AHA lotion, and I'd been using the BCP months before I found this. My skin is now a bit less oily, my scars completely faded out, my complexion more even, and my acne has improved too. Even with BCP I'd get pimply or get whiteheads in tandem with my prescription's scheduling, and so long as I use this lotion I no longer have to worry about it. It really is a great feeling to not have to worry about acne anymore. I also recommended this to a friend and she too has reported glowing results. If it doesn't work for you facial skin try applying it on your arms and legs, it also really helps with Keratosis Pilaris, and prevents ingrown hairs.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 8:55:00 PM More reviews by DJ89

This is my first review ever!! Im forever reading reviews but this deserved a review!! I remember reading some reviews on here about this product and it's affectiveness for acne and when I did last use it I think it worked pretty well but for some reason I stopped. Lately however I have had the worst breakout mainly on my chin area (hormones gotta love em) so neways I was getting pretty damn frustrated so I decided to try this out again. WELL first off let me just say it does sting like a mother on first application but u get used to it after a while. I was aware of the potential initial breakout some of u have mentioned and sure enough a week into using this lotion I had an awful awful breakout. Bear in mind I only use this on my chin area but it got so bad I was so close to stopping. Boy am I glad I didn't because after 5 whole weeks of purging, yes 5 WEEKS, now I do not wake up to new painful spots and my skin had cleared out nicely and marks were fading. This is truly amazing and I hope they never stop making it! I mean the purging is awful but I promise it is worth it because once all that bad stuff is brought to the surface u will thank this lotion!!!!! Been using it for just over 5 weeks so will update if there's any changes. Patience is the key with this product.
UPDATE: ok so I started using this for my stubborn chest and back acne that just wouldn't go away! I started using this beginning of feb 2013 and now 3 months later my acne is gone! I am sooo happy nothing I mean nothing has helped before! I purged a little at first but now along with the neutrogena body clear body wash that I use in the shower, my chestne and backne is gone!! Now I just need to work on fading dark marks and some scars which this is already helping but I'm gonna speed it up a little by using muac's 5 acid body peel which has 20% lactic acid..I've not started using it yet but will def write a review once I have! If ur suffering from breakouts face or body, get yourself this alpha hydrox ASAP!!!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 1:31:00 PM More reviews by renemy

I had great luck with the 8% exfoliating cream so when I ran out I decided to upgrade to this. This is just not as good for me. It feels oilier, rather than smooth and creamy, and worst of all, it makes my skin very rough and bumpy. I think it must be congesting my skin. This does not fade acne scars and it smells like white glue. I know this product gets great reviews, but like all things in life, there is no one size fits all.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2012 10:49:00 AM More reviews by Icaria

I must admit from the get go that I wasen't too impressed by the texture. Still I figured I'd use it for a while to see if it was as effective as the NeoStrata I was accustomed to. I don't think it is. It's almost watery when I put it on. This morning I woke up with two little pimples on my nose. This is not purging I know. I NEVER get 2 pimples at the same time. I get a tiny one once in a blue moon. Now, I have one on the tip of my nose (very elegant) & the other on the side. Yuck! I was so happy to finally put my hands on this & at $6 CAD it was like double whammy! Still, it's not a loss, I'll use it on décolleté, arms, hands & probably will repurchase for that purpouse since it's so affordable. Just not for my face. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 11:42:00 PM More reviews by KandEandS

Why is this thing Great? it contains glycolic acid which is an exfoliant itself. This stuff exfoliates your skin and moisturizing its at the same time. In my case I stopped using my exfoliating foam cleanser even if only using it 2x a week.

I have minor skin discoloration, i rarely break out (only during i use cerave pm) I have very few scattered freckles though that i am fine with. Now, on to this stuff, I noticed after a month of using it as a nightcream it gives you a glow in the morning or after you wake up! smooth face and just refreshed look. The fact that I am dreading is when I am about to apply it on my face, the smell is overwhelming to me (kind of acidic smell) it doesnt sting though and its creamy enough that it glides on smoothly.

I am totally torn if I will repurchase this product in the future I just found out it has amonia that is also used as one of the ingredients of window cleanser and just cleaners in general.

But it gave me the result that I need so I might have to suffer the consequence later on but for now I am LUVIN it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by sadendingsong

I didn't know exactly what this product was supposed to do besides help with breakouts and possibly wrinkles but I bought it because it was inexpensive and because of the great reviews. When I started trying it out, I was just done with using Retin-A because I wasn't happy with the results. This product is a better "skin perfecter" than the Retin A in terms of skin texture and reducing pore size. It also cuts down my breakout healing time and reduces the size of my breakouts. That alone is enough to keep me using it for a very long time, which won't be hard since this is a huge bottle and you only need a tiny amount each time because it blends out very easily. I started using Retin A again for some pigmentation issues but I still incorporate this into my routine. One thing I wasn't too sure about was if this was meant to be used over acne treatments or on its own. I think it is up to your preference and skin sensitivity as this does sting initially, so don't overuse it and your skin will really improve. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by fab50s

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Excellent AHA. Effective, not drying, VERY affordable at $12. In just a few weeks, noticing improved tone and texture. Still have wrinkles, but it's not Botox. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by themeanreds

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I forgot how silky smooth and nearly flawless this makes your skin! I used it as a teenager and found it effective for acne. I recently rediscovered it because I had a few fine lines that developed when I was off retinoids during my pregnancy. This stuff helps smooth fine lines and softens your skin. I deducted a lippie because it stings for a few minutes and obviously it is better not to suffer. Overall I'm happy. I wear a physical sunblock over it because it has no SPF and seems pretty potent/sensitizing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I went to a blog to ask for help on my skin. I had oily skin, the pores on my cheeks looked like orange rinds, I had some acne, and some very clogged pores. I wanted to improve my skin and the replies I received mentioned a gentle cleanser, a good moisturizer and an AHA or BHA product. I did a little bit of researched and stumbled upon this. I'm so happy I did! I've barely been using this for a week now and I've noticed so many differences! My skin is currently on the dry side due to this but a good moisturizer will sort that out. The oiliness of my skin is almost gone. I get a little bit of it by the end of the day but that's pretty natural. The orange-rind pores on my cheeks have shrunk. It's not as noticeable anymore that I have pores there when wearing make-up (the make-up used to sit in the pores thus making them look worse). Then there's the acne & scab from the healing acne. I had about 5+ pimples when I started using this. A week later and I'm down to 1 active pimple and two that are scabs. The scabs are healing a lot quicker than I normally would heal. My skin is pretty glowing without make-up and I only need a good light coverage. I did have a lot of redness on my cheeks too and that's toned down a lot to a slight pink flush now. I hope it'll eventually go away along with whatever's left of my obvious pores, pimples and scabs. So far so good though and I'd recommend this to a lot of people (esp oily & acne prone). If my skin keeps improving, even from the little I've seen so far, then I'll forever be buying this stuff!
2/12/12 update: Still using this. All my pimples are gone. I have a few healing spots. When I get pimples I apply this and almost over night they're gone or they've come to head. It's a miracle product in a bottle for me. Warning though is that it has dried out my skin a little. For how clear & glowing it is, I'll take it!
3/28/12 update: Still using this and loving it! I still get acne but that's more hormonal than anything in my control. Other than the few that pop up my skin is really nice and clear.
For those searching for this I got mine at Walgreens. Their website however does have really good deals if you don't mind using the web to order.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No