December 19, 2014 | 1443 users online

Styling Products - Aveda - Light Elements Smoothing Fluid

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 10:30:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

A great all-round product. My hairdresser uses this one me and has convinced me that it was a necessary product for my short, straight hair. I rub a few drops through my hair before I use my flat iron and use a bit with my fav styling products. It leaves my hair shiny and smooth and not the least bit greasy. And, you've got to love that great Aveda smell. It's expensive but a little goes a long way. I use it daily and one bottle lasted almost a year. Will definately repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 3:38:00 PM More reviews by mcaird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am in love with this product. It definitely smooths my hair while adding lots of shine. You can't use too much or it will make your hair greasy, but used right it's wonderful. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by wonderwall03

This product smells fantastic (it's infused with lavender) but more importantly it works well for controlling frizz and fly-aways. I use it after straightening my hair and it makes it feel softer and smoother. Bonus, you don't need a lot so the bottle lasts awhile! Just as a reference, I have straight, dyed hair that's fine (but I have lots of it).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2008 9:22:00 PM More reviews by fashionista1984

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I received this in a swap and I am in LOVE. it makes my hair so silky and shiny and smells great....i have tried the biosilk silk and it makes me soooo greasy....this makes my hair silky and shiny...i have hair down to my mid back and i use 3 pumps but i could probably get away with 4! I love this and i will buy it when i run out of this bottle!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2008 1:42:00 PM More reviews by GreenEyes85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think the main thing to remember when using any products with oil is "less is more." This must be used very sparingly, and not ever on the roots. Stick to hair that falls below your brows. That said, I have hair that gets oily at the roots, long before the rest of my hair needs to be washed. I used to wash my hair every single day until I realized how damaging it was. I don't have frizzy hair, but use this to stop fly-aways and make the ends look smooth after blow-drying. If you use this right, it makes your hair look like you have no split-ends. My hair still looks clean the next day if I avoid the roots. Not only does it make hair smooth, but it adds shine. For those with super-oily hair, try applying this before you blowdry, while hair is still very wet, and then blowdry when hair is slightly damp.

Disclaimer: my cousin is an Aveda stylist and taught me how to use this product; maybe I'm biased, but I really like it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2008 10:30:00 PM More reviews by MissHiss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This really didn't do anything for me in terms of de-frizzing. The shine element is completely irrelevant when you have a head full of frizzy hair. I gave it away after a fortnight. Absolutely not worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2007 6:33:00 PM More reviews by mxk2

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

While the Smoothing Fluid didn't weigh my hair down as much as other silicone products I've tried, it did make it look very greasy, even when applied sparingly. Will be returning it to the Aveda store.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2007 6:39:00 PM More reviews by bannerstone

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product delivers on its claims. It smooths out frizz without weighing down the hair. Protects hair from heat. I like that you can put this in both damp and dry hair. Very light minty scent that dissipates quickly. Expensive at around $27, but worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2007 2:04:00 PM More reviews by covenant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

i have been having the hardest time finding a good product to use to straighten my wavy hair w/o getting alot of frizz afterwards. my stylist suggested i try this, and yes the price is up there, but i thought if it works, it's worth it. so i tried it, and i have to say i am very impressed. i use it on my damp hair before blow drying with a paddle brush, then run some more thru after, and touch up with the flat iron. i get very little frizz, wayyyy less than with any other product, and what frizz there is is usually gone within a short time. my hair feels great too. very soft and silky, and not weighed down. i will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/24/2007 1:04:00 PM More reviews by diggity

One of my favorite products! Yes, it's expensive, but it lasts a long time. This is the lightest serum I've ever found that actually works. I use it in a few ways. I like to put it on a section of wet or damp hair before blowdrying (a good tip that works well for me is to twist the hair after it's dry and still warm, this prevents the section from frizzing up and makes nice waves). I also like to use it on dry hair before flat ironing. And then it' s also a good lightweight finisher. I really do love this stuff - have repurchased many times throughout the years. For reference, my hair is fine, thin, naturally curly but I often straighten.

If I want to air dry, I do use a heavier serum though since this is too light to prevent frizz (for me). For that, I use Garnier sleek and shine serum or the discontinued Loreal vive anti-frizz serum on wet hair right out of the shower.