July 30, 2014 | 992 users online

Eye Shadow - Shu Uemura - Eye Shadow

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2003 10:16:00 PM More reviews by luvlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

amazing quality but the prices are a little too high.. slightly better quality than mac's or even stila's but i wont buy shu shadows line because of its prices. will stick to mac.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2003 6:21:00 PM More reviews by MissCastro1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Shu shadows are my latest obsession. They come in the most awesome colors, cute and convenient packaging and they are easy to remove so you can put them in a palette. They are very pigmented and last such a long time. By far my most favorite shadows.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2003 6:07:00 PM More reviews by msjene

The best shadows ever! At $18 each they come in a cool clear little compact with no applicators (thank you!) and can easily be removed to put in a palette. The colors are truly creamy and well pigmented. Their metallic line (ME) is truly metallic and very unique.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2003 4:11:00 AM More reviews by kopo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Shu is my favourite cosmetic line for many years & you can't beat the eye shadow. The texture is hiighly pigmented & smooth even better than Chantecaille or Stila especially in the matte formula. I'

Another close competitor is KP eye shadow trio with beauty colour and smooth texture. KP is overall a cheaper line (except for lippies) with great quality but only available in Asia.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2003 5:17:00 PM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I haven't tried every brand of eye shadow out there but I have tried alot of them. Shu Uemura eye shadows are some of the finest out there. I pretty much stick to my normal light colors for highlighting under my eye brow and taupe-brown-gray colors for the rest of my eyes. These shadows are expensive but very highly pigmented so it takes very little to apply and they last a very long time. These are so smooth and very easy to blend. I haven't yet been able to see their whole collection in person but I am really looking forward to that someday when I can see them all. I better start saving up for a very big splurge.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2003 4:01:00 PM More reviews by myyong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have this in Beige M 807. I wear it as a wash for casual days, though my bf says he can't see it, I feel that it evens out the tone of my skin, and makes it brighter and prettier (if that makes sense). One thing I must comment about Shu e/s, they are powdery in a rather thick clay-ish way. Very pigmented, not at all loose (no falling onto skin halfway between e/s and face) or chalky and blends like a dream (better than Chanel, IMHO). Can't wait to get more!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2003 5:51:00 PM More reviews by CarolineSwing

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am in LOVE with these e/s! The range of colors and the different types are amazing. Don't hate me but I have stopped buying MAC e/s and I am buying all of the Shu that look good on me. :) They are highly pigmented and blend nicely.

FYI: If you want to put these in a palette DO NOT BAKE THEM! On the back there is a little circle if you use a toothpick and stick it through the circle the pan will pop right out. I have read soooo many girls talking about baking their Shu pans out of the clear cases and it is not necessary.

The numbering system can be a little confusing until you get used to it:

ME = Metal

500's are Greens & Turquoise
600's are Blues
700's are Purples
800's are Beiges & Browns
900's are everything else including Rainbow, White, Gray, Silver & Blacks.

Some must have colors: -Pink ME 125 (great medium pink), -Green ME 555 (a vibrant grass green), -Blue ME 638 (a highly pigmented almost aqua blue), -Blue P 693 (a great dark blue, but not navy, very wearable), -Silver ME 945 (a to die for metallic silvery-taupe). And get the Aura Nude palette, such great colors!

To address a question I hear sometimes, there are two "sizes" of e/s pans (3 if you count the Atelier line, but that's a different review). Both pans have the exact same amount of product, but one is larger in diameter and thinner. The new ones are the smaller/taller pans and 99% of the Shu e/s you buy will be this smaller/taller size. But if you do get one that isn't the same as all the rest you have, don't panic, it's the same great product with a different container. :)

My only "Rant" is that the regular pans (e/s and Glow Ons) are *not* magnetic! To put them in a Shu palette you use the glue that originally held them in place, yuck. If you do want to put them in a non-Shu metallic palette you have to put on your own magnet. Not a big deal you say? Well, if you want to make your Shu palette magnetic you have to add a magnet strip to the palette *and* to the pans; that can get really thick. Shu pans work great in the Aveda palettes and the MAC 15-pan palette with the insert taken out. But the best palette by far is a Trish Mcevoy Large Planner Page (thanks susant66). Each page holds 24 e/s or 12 Glow Ons. So perfect and only $17 vs $30 for the Shu silver palette (holds max 16 e/s) or the large black Shu palette for $13 (holds 8 e/s max). You can attach magnets to the bottom of the pans. Or I prefer to use good double stick tape, it holds the pans perfectly and I can move them around to hearts content (and I don't have to deal with things not fitting as well). :)

For pics of several colors please see my pics or try a pic search for "shu", you will get tons of pics.

NEW FORMULA (as of July 2005)

Shu has reformulated their e/s formula recently and will be phasing out the "old" line that is reviewed above.

The first installment of 44 (out of a supposed 100+ during the next year) are very nice. They are softer then the "old" formula. Pigment is good, many of the colors show up better then some of the older look-a-likes. But, some of the ME e/s aren't quite as good as the old formula. So far there are several look-a-likes in the new line compared to the old line. I won't list them all, but a few are:

Old = New

Pink ME 125 = Pink ME 150

Gold ME 390 = Gold ME 350

Gold ME 365 = Gold IR 350

Olive ME 480 = Green ME 450

Green ME 555 = Green ME 550

White M 910 = White M 900

So far the way the new numbering system works is that each number (150 for example) comes in each of the four standard e/s textures:

ME = Metal, P = Pearl, IR = Iridescent, and M = Matte

Pink M 150
100's are Pinks

200's are Oranges

300's are Yellows & Golds

400's are Light Greens & Greens (some look like olives)

500's are Greens (some look like turquoise)

600's are Blues

700's are Purples

800's are Beiges & Browns

900's are everything else including White, Gray, Silver & Blacks.

The current numbers are:

Beige 800

White & Silver 900

Gray & Silver 950

Black 990

Some of the stand out colors are: Pink ME 150, Orange ME 250 (a stunning orange that is not quite orange, highly recommend), Green ME 450, Green P 450, Green ME 550, Blue ME 650, Purple ME 700, Beige ME 800, Beige IR 800, Black ME 990 (a true shimmery black).

I can't wait to see what comes out next. These 44 should be out in the USA and other countries sometime in October 2005. The next 25 should be out in Japan sometime in October 2005 (keep your fingers crossed).

I have some pictures of the new colors and some of the look-a-likes under this Profile or with all my Shu pics under CarolineSwing4. :D
continued >>

19 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2003 4:29:00 AM More reviews by bastet

These come in practical see-through plastic containers- small and handy they fit into any purse and you know which shade you're reaching for at one glance. AFAIK these can also be put into special Shu palettes. The colour selection is incredibly huge, the staying power is good and comparable to Stila. The consistency and blendability are excellent. Yet I had to deduct one lipstick for the price- they contain less product than Stila but are more expensive. I own the shades P black 960- a very dark silver-grey with blue undertones and IR green 511- a pistacchio green with a bit of golden shimmer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2003 4:51:00 AM More reviews by monlim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this in IR Beige 803 which is a deadringer for Mac's popular Vex (I put them both side by side and could barely see the difference, even the shimmer was similar!) At first I was kicking myself for spending a bomb on a color which I already seemed to have but when I tried it on, I realised it was slightly tauper than Vex which was slightly greener. However, the difference IS very slight. The texture of Shu is heavenly, glides on like silk. This would be the choice over Vex if like me, your skin is not too kind to green but you like a beigy goldy neutral. It's shimmery but not too metallic so as to emphasise crepey eyes. Simply wonderful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2003 3:31:00 AM More reviews by reyna

I've been on some kind of sick buying frenzy and got four of these at Sephora. ME Gold 390 - goldy bronze - I almost didn't get this one since it is so close to Mac Bronze (bronze is darker) but the Shu texture in this color was like buttah (update: I use this on inside half of lid to brighten eye like Mac Bronze does). The others are smooth as well, but the metallics feel more lush and this Gold 390 was almost cushiony. ME Pink 125 - firey rich rose with gold shimmer, most interesting color of the four I got, will be nice as lip color too. P Brown 873 - med/dark brown - replacing my Mac Brun for corners since Brun was hard to blend. M Orange 206 - light orange, I shouldn't have gotten this one because it's too close to skin color. They are very fine in texture compared to other brands. Shall I say it? It's a shu-in, hehe.