August 22, 2014 | 1930 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2010 11:04:00 AM More reviews by sll74

the new packaging pulled me in on this one. it's a castille soap with some extra stuff to perk it up. it's not bad but my face felt sort of filmy after using it. i'm going to return it. there are better cleansers out there so i won't keep this one. on the plus side, it is all natural, a little goes a long way and the smell is okay.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2010 4:27:00 PM More reviews by lalalaurenski

I bought this because I was running out of hope with my terrible acne. It worked really well the first while and I've been using it half a year, and surprisingly, the small pump bottle has lasted that whole time! That's good. I don't know, I guess you could say I have a love hate relationship with it. I think it is a good product, but maybe not for me. I have moved on. But I am still trying things which contain tea tree oil.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/17/2010 5:41:00 PM More reviews by GlamBunny

I have been using this cleanser for several months and while I really liked it at first, I have come to the realization that is it causing my skin to dry out and flake. This cleanser does a great job of removing my makeup and leaving my face feeling clean. The tea tree oil in it also seems to help with the ingrown hairs that I tend to get on my chin. Unfortunately, after consistent usage, my chin, cheeks, and nose have all started to flake. My skin is no longer oily feeling like when I started using the cleanser, but I cannot stand the flakies. Of course, I didn't realize this was the culprit until after investing in a 32 oz bottle! I guess I'll just have to use it up by using it to wash my brushes.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by caramelkiss19

I've been using desert essence tea tree and jojoba oils, I wanted to try the cleanser as well. I got the larger pump dispense bottle, which is important because this cleanser is very runny. That being said, I'm so so on this. I don't think it did a whole lot to clear my skin, but I'm more congested than anything. This would be far too drying on me in the colder winter months. I'm not positive on the makeup removal ability on this either because I remove my MU w/jojoba oil prior to cleansing. I also would not feel comfortable going around my eyes with this...
Update 12/11- Used this up as a cleanser for my makeup brushes, worked wonderfully for that but would not recommend for delicate facial skin :/

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2010 10:23:00 AM More reviews by sixdemonbag

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this. I love that it's sulfate free and 'natural', I even like the watery consistency because to me that means less gunk to clog my pores. But, it just didn't work out for me. I don't know if it's the tea tree oil, or just the cleanser in general, but it left me with terribly dry skin. To make matter worse, the morning after I used this for the first time, I had what almost looked like a burn on the delicate skin under my eye! It was a red scaly patch that was verrrry dry, like all the moisture was sucked out of it. I've never had anything like that happen before, so I'm quite certain it was the cleanser. Not good! I'm now using the Desert Essence Gentle Nourishing Organic Cleanser (for dry skin, and also sulfate free) instead, and am having much better luck with that one.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2010 4:31:00 PM More reviews by lunadestella

My local co/op was having a sale on all their Desert Essence products and when I saw the GIANT 32 fl oz. bottle of Thoroughly Clean Face Wash w/ Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi for $9 I had to get it. Alone, the size of the bottle is worth it. The product is going to last and last, but that aside it's really amazing. It cleans your face like nothing else -- but be careful about getting suds in your eyes, it stings! My face feels refreshed every time I use it this month. So far, I've hardly scratched the surface of this jumbo bottle. It'll probably last well over 6-8 months. Another girl wrote a review about cleaning her MU brushes with this, I think that's a great idea. Will have to try it out! :)

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2010 8:36:00 AM More reviews by boouwhore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted this product to work after hearing so many positive reviews. Unfortunately this product is just not right for me. Before I used this face wash I had mild acne on my t zone and rarely did I ever get a pimple on my cheeks. the first time I cleaned my face using this product my face felt tight. the second day a red rash-like thing appeared on my left cheek. Then my whole face got really red as if I had a sun burn--which never happens to me btw. SO now I have a case of severe cystic acne that won't go away and a perpetual redness even though I haven't used the damn thing in three months. This cleanser really did a number on my skin. Turns out that the tea tree oil is way too harsh for my skin. I guess just because a product contains "all-natural ingredients" does not neccesarily mean it will work for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/16/2010 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Reira

It was too drying for my face. My face felt so squeaky clean and taut that it became really v. uncomfortable.

So i used it to help with my back acne. Amazing! Cleared up my back acne so quickly!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2010 1:00:00 PM More reviews by fantasian00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this cleanser, I've been using it for about 6 months now. I use other cleansers in between too, but I think this one is the one i will use long term. It leaves my face squeaky clean and feels very organic, the consistency is a little watery though. I bought a giant 32 oz bottle online at vitacost, then i pour it out onto an old pump bottle. I think a big bottle should last me a year, what a deal ;).

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2010 8:46:00 PM More reviews by joziegrozy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for at least 2 years now and have recommended it to my friends. It took me awhile searching for a nonSLS that could still clean my face. I love the smell, I love tea tree oil :)

It can get drying, but I live in a humid country; so it works fine. I use it morning and night. I've bought the really big bottles and use my own dispenser.