Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi

3.6

Not tested on animals

Castile Soap (Water (Aqua), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tall Oil, Potassium Hydroxide), Glycerin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Goldenseal) Root Extract, Hedychium Coronarium Root Extract (Awapuhi), Fucus Vesiculosus Extract (Bladderwrack), Cymbopogon Martini Oil (Palmarosa), Citrus Aurantium Amara (Bitter Orange) Peel Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Oil, Callitris Intratropica Wood Oil (Blue Cypress) *Eco-HarvestĀ®

on 2/6/2011 10:57:00 AM

My favorite face wash of all time. I've been using this for 3 years, and don't think I'll EVER find a product this good.

You can see the difference after one use. You can either leave it on for a deeper clean, or use quickly for every day. It cleans EVERYTHING off your face and heals acne soooo quickly. The only downside is that it can be hard to find these products. Anything made by this company is incredible. I just turned my best friend on to this wash and she will never go back as well. Seriously...try this stuff.

on 1/23/2011 5:54:00 PM

My face has never felt cleaner than after using this cleanser! I mean its really squeaky clean although it is a bit drying. I would take the advice on the bottle and avoid use on the eyes, it definitely stings/burns. I've been using another cleanser as a makeup remover at night and this in the morning with good results.

on 1/16/2011 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Have purchased this several times, usually switch around on face washes but will sometimes go back to this one. Dirt cheap, a little goes a long way and natural. Downside is that it is drying on your skin, and my skin is oily, be sure to moisturize afterwards. Helps my breakouts and I get that squeaky clean feeling. I don't think it smells the greatest but it is tolerable.

on 11/28/2010 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

I desperately wanted to like this product: a) super cheap, b) a little goes a long way, c) TTO! How could I go wrong?

Oh, how wrong. First off, this is a Castille soap, which makes it very, very drying to begin with. Add some TTO, you've got overly dry and irritated skin. Awapuhi is a Hawaiian species of ginger; great for soothing stomachs, not so great at soothing the skin. Basically, a recipe for disaster, at least on my combination skin.

I will say this for the soap: it cleans everything off. I mean seriously everything - long-wear mascara, waterproof eyeliner (of the UD 24/7 or MUFE Aqua Eyes caliber, even), etc. Once I realized I couldn't use this on my face comfortably, I started using this to clean my makeup brushes. Best decision ever.

on 11/21/2010 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I will start by saying that I do not use this cleanser every day. I used to have stubborn adult acne that I have pretty much entirely cleared up thanks to my beloved HG Avene Cleanance Soapless Gel Cleanser. However, I do still get the occasional hormonal or stress related breakout, and when that happens, I turn to this. My old benzoyl peroxide cleanser/mask stopped working and is too harsh for my skin, now that it is no longer covered in hideous pimples. The first time I washed my face with this cleanser, I was unsure. It's so runny and the smell is so pungent that I worried the tea tree oil would be too harsh. However, after I rinsed, dried off and applied moisturizer, my skin felt like butter. I've seriously never felt my skin so soft in my entire life. My face was glowing!
In short, I really like this stuff as a blemish treatment, but unless your face is super oily I would not recommend using this daily. Definitely better than that worthless salicylic acid!
The packaging kind of sucks, though. I would recommend dumping it into a foaming bottle.
The price is right, and it's really effective, but I want to stress that NO product is for everyone, so if it didn't work for you that doesn't mean the quality of the product is poor.

on 10/26/2010 11:04:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

the new packaging pulled me in on this one. it's a castille soap with some extra stuff to perk it up. it's not bad but my face felt sort of filmy after using it. i'm going to return it. there are better cleansers out there so i won't keep this one. on the plus side, it is all natural, a little goes a long way and the smell is okay.

on 10/20/2010 4:27:00 PM

I bought this because I was running out of hope with my terrible acne. It worked really well the first while and I've been using it half a year, and surprisingly, the small pump bottle has lasted that whole time! That's good. I don't know, I guess you could say I have a love hate relationship with it. I think it is a good product, but maybe not for me. I have moved on. But I am still trying things which contain tea tree oil.

on 10/17/2010 5:41:00 PM

I have been using this cleanser for several months and while I really liked it at first, I have come to the realization that is it causing my skin to dry out and flake. This cleanser does a great job of removing my makeup and leaving my face feeling clean. The tea tree oil in it also seems to help with the ingrown hairs that I tend to get on my chin. Unfortunately, after consistent usage, my chin, cheeks, and nose have all started to flake. My skin is no longer oily feeling like when I started using the cleanser, but I cannot stand the flakies. Of course, I didn't realize this was the culprit until after investing in a 32 oz bottle! I guess I'll just have to use it up by using it to wash my brushes.

on 10/13/2010 10:23:00 AM

I really wanted to like this. I love that it's sulfate free and 'natural', I even like the watery consistency because to me that means less gunk to clog my pores. But, it just didn't work out for me. I don't know if it's the tea tree oil, or just the cleanser in general, but it left me with terribly dry skin. To make matter worse, the morning after I used this for the first time, I had what almost looked like a burn on the delicate skin under my eye! It was a red scaly patch that was verrrry dry, like all the moisture was sucked out of it. I've never had anything like that happen before, so I'm quite certain it was the cleanser. Not good! I'm now using the Desert Essence Gentle Nourishing Organic Cleanser (for dry skin, and also sulfate free) instead, and am having much better luck with that one.

on 10/1/2010 4:31:00 PM

My local co/op was having a sale on all their Desert Essence products and when I saw the GIANT 32 fl oz. bottle of Thoroughly Clean Face Wash w/ Organic Tea Tree Oil and Awapuhi for $9 I had to get it. Alone, the size of the bottle is worth it. The product is going to last and last, but that aside it's really amazing. It cleans your face like nothing else -- but be careful about getting suds in your eyes, it stings! My face feels refreshed every time I use it this month. So far, I've hardly scratched the surface of this jumbo bottle. It'll probably last well over 6-8 months. Another girl wrote a review about cleaning her MU brushes with this, I think that's a great idea. Will have to try it out! :)