November 28, 2014 | 932 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2011 10:08:00 PM More reviews by MincePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Manic Panic Purple Haze gives me the look I want. Knowing that it will fade ensures that I'm not married to this color. If I want to try a more ultraviolet shade of purple or a blue, I could change to a different color fairly soon.

My hair is very dark brown. A colorist once described it as dark ash brown. The first time I had it done to get the purple layers, the stylist used a 20 volume lightener on the parts to color. She wove it into part of my bangs. She also sectioned off the top of my hair, out of the way, and lightened the layer of hair that falls from the temples down. It came out a shade of golden brown. She then applied a shade of purple that came out a bit more pink than I expected. So, my hair when it's down had a bit of peek-a-boo effect of a fuchsia/purple under layer that showed if the wind blew, it showed at the ends, or if my hair moved at all. She did not use Manic Panic.

Ok, that color lasted about three days. I swim - maybe that's part of it. But the color faded to pink+the golden brown.The stylist had me bring my choice of purple to the salon for a touch up so she could show me how to do the weekly touchups. She said it's normal to fade. (what she calls fading, I call disappearing.)

In the meantime, I watched youtube videos and saw the info that is in other reviews here about ways to get longer lasting color - apply heat, leave it in for hours, sleep in it with a shower cap over it.

At my appointment, she did it for me, and showed me how to do it. I like this color better than the one she applied originally. It's not bright, punk, purple, though - if that's what you'd expect all the time. It's actually rather subtle darker purple among my dark brown hair.

The touch up required half the jar.

Also we still expect that I'd have to do a touch up once a week with a salon visit about once a month. I'm still deciding if I want to put that much money & effort into my hair, but the Manic Panic was $6.49 at my Sally Beauty, plush I bought the color safe shampoo, gloves, disposable shower caps, the brush to apply the color. (a nail polish, I couldn't leave without a nail polish, but perhaps that's off topic)

At first I wasn't sure if Purple Haze would be the right shade, but I realized if I swim everyday, I'll have ample opportunity to try a different shade. I'm also considering having the lightened section made even lighter, so that the colorful part comes out bolder. (yeah, more $, more time) But ,hey, more vibrant color!!

In short, yeah finally, my stylist, who, by the way, has the world's most vibrant hair herself, thought there was nothing unusual about the fade time of my purple and to expect it with the MP. She said it was related to the "unnatural color" mostly, and yes, to expect weekly upkeep. So, I say, if you find a way to keep it longer and not need weekly upkeep, then you are ahead of the game, but it's not a Manic Panic product problem if it only lasted one week.

Just the purple I want. Easy to apply. No harsh chemicals. Yay.

Personal downside: I have a nervous habit of scratching my scalp often. Now my under-nails get purple. I need to keep up my manicure!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/18/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by kendallkaboom

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

i absolutely adore this dye! i've used Vampire Red, Pillar box Red, Shocking Blue, Hot Hot Pink, Ultra Violet, Electric Banana, and Electric Lizard. They are all absolutely amazing! they last for a while and are SO bright. I have nothing bad i could say about it. the container may look small but this stuff is so concentrated, a little goes a long way

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So basically i love manic panic pillarbox red and vampire red, which i mix more pillarbox than vampire but the results are soo pretty!! i usally use loreal highlifts once every 2 months to allow the manic panic to really attach and last longer but i do not use bleach that is sooo horible for your hair!!... i wash my hair only with cold water that allows the red to really last ..but i liertally get asked every where i go what red i use lol i think ill end up doing a you tube video for it lol... but really love this product!!!! and its vegan so its not harsh on your hair if you dont use bleach before =)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by stfulauren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I've used manic panic for the past 6 yrs and not once have I had a problem with it fading too soon. But I also wash my hair every 2 or 3 days, in cold water, and use color treated shampoos/conditioners. It takes about a month for it to start fading which I like a lot. I usually have re-dye my roots before I have to do a touch up on the rest. Only things that's wrong with it is that it IS hard to get out my hair. Since it's a semi permanent vegetable-based dye, it won't come out with hair color removers. But I've heard that if you mix up a small batch on bleach(20v-30v developer) with some shampoo and massage it in your hair for a few minutes that the color will come right out. (That's if you let it fade a bit too.) I honestly love this dye though, especially the blues and purples.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by melancolleen

Manic Panic has been a lifesaver for my hair. I first tried it about a year ago while trying to find way to take generic auburn color to a really vibrant red. I didn't pre-lighten, but I'm sure my hair was porous as I subject it to frequent dying. I didn't leave it on for an absurd amount of time, maybe an hour or two at most, but the color came out AMAZING! I used Hot Hot Pink and it gave me this lovely purple-ish red since I had layered over my previous color. Since it's a vegetable dye, it didn't damage my hair at all. In fact, I think my hair feels better every time I use it!
The color lasted a long time for me because I a.) don't need to wash my hair often in the first place, and b.) when I do wash it, I use cold water! If I have color from the jar leftover, I'll add it to my conditioner for a bit of a refresher. After my roots grew out to a noticeable length, I'd put a bit of dye on them too. Obviously my new hair isn't as porous and it doesn't take as well, but it was never bad-looking. I quite enjoyed watching my hair change shades as it grew out and faded.
This summer, I decided I wanted to go blonde for awhile. BIG mistake. Never got close to the shade I wanted, and damaged the fuck out of my hair. When I tried to go back to auburn I used a chemical formula, and my hair must have been extremely over-processed because it turned nearly black, except for my roots. I was pretty distressed, but remembered my success with MP before, so I went and bought the Pillarbox Red shade in hopes of adding a red tint at the very least. It greatly helped soften the harsh black color and faded into a lovely red-brown over the course of a couple weeks.
Upon looking at Sally's October flyer, I saw that MP is on sale so I think I'm going to go revamp my look and try a new shade of red or pink on my hair. I expect nothing but great results! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair weird colours ever since my sophmore year of high school. Purple, red, blue, green, I've done it at least once. I find myself going back to red and purple over and over because, as it's fading and growing out, it looks the best with my naturally blond hair.

I'm one of those lucky people who's hair holds onto dye well. My friend and I (she's blond as well) have shared colours before, and while I can get the effects to last for months on me, hers is usually completely gone within a couple weeks.

Manic Panic is the first brand I used when I ventured into the world of weird hair colours. The colours they offer are great. It applies fairly well (beware the staining, as with all dye) and has a pleasant, non-chemical smell.

What I didn't care for with Manic Panic was it's staying power and how the colours faded out. I tried a couple shades of their purples and reds.

The red was completely gone after only a couple washes (after leaving it to saturate my hair for several hours), and when the purple began to fade, it left me with a greyish tinge to my hair.

This brand is ok if you're looking for cheap, temporary colour that lasts for a few washes. If you want something lasting, this is not the brand for you. I am now hooked on Special Effects. It costs about the same, is also chemical free, lasts a LOT longer in my hair and fades much more nicely.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Something that people should realize about this dye is that it is plant-based, so it is inherently different than chemical dyes that most people are used to. You can leave this on for as long as you like. One method that works really well is to mix the dye w/ a little deep conditioner, saturate hair, wrap, cover with a shower cap, and leave it on while you sleep. As long as the dye is wet, it will continue to adhere to the hair. This can make colors like Atomic Pink that would normally last for 3-4 washings last for more like 20 washings. Also, the Manic Panic in the jars that you can buy at Sally and other places is less pigmented than the gel variety (which may be discontinued) because it has built-in conditioner. That's right, this dye nourishes your hair while you use it. So slather it on, wrap it up, and let it soak in to your hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by robotobunneh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In the past I've used various Manic Panic dyes on bleached hair (New Rose, Electric Tiger Lily, Ultraviolet, Enchanted Forest, Electric Lizard...) with varying degrees of success.

However, I've gone back to a more natural style, and have grown out my medium golden brown hair (it's about mid back length). Since my hair is practically virgin hair at this point, I thought I'd use some pink/purple dye to colour the underside so I picked up Fuschia Shock. Here is my review specifically for that colour:

Pros:
-The colour showed up really gorgeous. It's a bright/medium wine colour and it flatters my skin tone very well.

Cons:
-This dye STAINS. Like not like normal hairdye... I'm talking spend an hour with a toothbrush and some Comet with bleach scrubbing your shower, bath, and any other surface that this dye came into direct, or indirect contact with. I have NEVER had a hairdye stain this bad.
-To be honest, as beautiful as the colour is, I regret dying my hair. I'd much rather have it back to my normal brown colour, which brings me to:
-Good mother of science, this stuff BLEEDS. After dying, I washed my hair... a good 10-15 times with Sunlight dish soap to fade it as much as possible (again, decided I didn't like it). Kept bleeding colour. Did a hot oil treatment because my scalp was irritated, and then washed with my regular shampoo and once again PINK EVERYWHERE. I'm honestly terrified to wash my whole head at the same time because I don't want my lovely brown hair on top to get stained :/

In all, Manic Panic is great if you want crazy hair colours. But think long and hard about that choice before you do it. Also, if you pick up Fuschia Shock, be prepared to be cleaning up for a longgggg time and be prepared to wear this hair colour until the end of days because it sure doesn't look like it's fading yet :/

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by sam23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like manic panic, I've used pillarbox red and rock'n'roll red so far and both colors have turned out nicely. They don't last that long but I don't mind that, I usually get a solid 2 weeks with a vibrant color and it just dulls more and more for a month or so after that. I have never had one that had a soupy consistency, the ones I've tried were more like lotiony consistency. I definitely recommend only using this if you have several old already stained towels you can use while it's washing out (or black towels) because it does bleed after each wash. but I never bleach beforehand and I always get a pretty red color out of it so I like it. I'm going to try black soon as well. I just wish it was a smidge cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by msdeliare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my hair is fine, light brown and naturally curly...like tight spiral curls.i relax my hair and the next day i applied MANIC PANIC INFRA RED (did not bleach). the mistake i made was i put leave in conditioners and an olive oil product in it right after i dyed it....it rubbed off on my clothes...on everything really.i ended up going to the beach and it washed out in the ocean....when i got back i also had MANIC PANIC VAMPIRE RED. i used it but i didn't put any leave in conditioners or oils in my hair after and it stayed!!! that was about 8 moths ago....i still can see traces of the vampire red on my hair after my hair has grown out. everybody's hair is different...i found a way to make it work on my hair...it is kinda liquidy and i made a mess but then again at the time i didnt use a brush to apply it.i left it on for 4 hours and rinsed with cold water...i've heard vinegar works...i didnt want to try it tho.im about to try the new MANIC PANIC ROCK N ROLL RED. im going to do it the same as the vampire red...but im also going to use a filler because my ends are pretty dry from relaxing. before i dye it im gonna do a few days of conditioning and then let it be for 2 days then use filler(redred filler) and then dye it. and rinse in luke warm to cold water to help seal it in.MANIC PANIC isnt for everyone or for every hair type either...but i like it a lot...not to expensive...you can mix different kinds if you wanted..non damaging...not tested on animals.....great color if done properly (again every hair type is different)i have used it and im about to do it again...i trust it.