July 24, 2014 | 1643 users online

Hair Color - Manic Panic - Temporary Hair dye

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 6:53:00 PM More reviews by danakay5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So basically i love manic panic pillarbox red and vampire red, which i mix more pillarbox than vampire but the results are soo pretty!! i usally use loreal highlifts once every 2 months to allow the manic panic to really attach and last longer but i do not use bleach that is sooo horible for your hair!!... i wash my hair only with cold water that allows the red to really last ..but i liertally get asked every where i go what red i use lol i think ill end up doing a you tube video for it lol... but really love this product!!!! and its vegan so its not harsh on your hair if you dont use bleach before =)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by stfulauren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Other

I've used manic panic for the past 6 yrs and not once have I had a problem with it fading too soon. But I also wash my hair every 2 or 3 days, in cold water, and use color treated shampoos/conditioners. It takes about a month for it to start fading which I like a lot. I usually have re-dye my roots before I have to do a touch up on the rest. Only things that's wrong with it is that it IS hard to get out my hair. Since it's a semi permanent vegetable-based dye, it won't come out with hair color removers. But I've heard that if you mix up a small batch on bleach(20v-30v developer) with some shampoo and massage it in your hair for a few minutes that the color will come right out. (That's if you let it fade a bit too.) I honestly love this dye though, especially the blues and purples.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by melancolleen

Manic Panic has been a lifesaver for my hair. I first tried it about a year ago while trying to find way to take generic auburn color to a really vibrant red. I didn't pre-lighten, but I'm sure my hair was porous as I subject it to frequent dying. I didn't leave it on for an absurd amount of time, maybe an hour or two at most, but the color came out AMAZING! I used Hot Hot Pink and it gave me this lovely purple-ish red since I had layered over my previous color. Since it's a vegetable dye, it didn't damage my hair at all. In fact, I think my hair feels better every time I use it!
The color lasted a long time for me because I a.) don't need to wash my hair often in the first place, and b.) when I do wash it, I use cold water! If I have color from the jar leftover, I'll add it to my conditioner for a bit of a refresher. After my roots grew out to a noticeable length, I'd put a bit of dye on them too. Obviously my new hair isn't as porous and it doesn't take as well, but it was never bad-looking. I quite enjoyed watching my hair change shades as it grew out and faded.
This summer, I decided I wanted to go blonde for awhile. BIG mistake. Never got close to the shade I wanted, and damaged the fuck out of my hair. When I tried to go back to auburn I used a chemical formula, and my hair must have been extremely over-processed because it turned nearly black, except for my roots. I was pretty distressed, but remembered my success with MP before, so I went and bought the Pillarbox Red shade in hopes of adding a red tint at the very least. It greatly helped soften the harsh black color and faded into a lovely red-brown over the course of a couple weeks.
Upon looking at Sally's October flyer, I saw that MP is on sale so I think I'm going to go revamp my look and try a new shade of red or pink on my hair. I expect nothing but great results! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair weird colours ever since my sophmore year of high school. Purple, red, blue, green, I've done it at least once. I find myself going back to red and purple over and over because, as it's fading and growing out, it looks the best with my naturally blond hair.

I'm one of those lucky people who's hair holds onto dye well. My friend and I (she's blond as well) have shared colours before, and while I can get the effects to last for months on me, hers is usually completely gone within a couple weeks.

Manic Panic is the first brand I used when I ventured into the world of weird hair colours. The colours they offer are great. It applies fairly well (beware the staining, as with all dye) and has a pleasant, non-chemical smell.

What I didn't care for with Manic Panic was it's staying power and how the colours faded out. I tried a couple shades of their purples and reds.

The red was completely gone after only a couple washes (after leaving it to saturate my hair for several hours), and when the purple began to fade, it left me with a greyish tinge to my hair.

This brand is ok if you're looking for cheap, temporary colour that lasts for a few washes. If you want something lasting, this is not the brand for you. I am now hooked on Special Effects. It costs about the same, is also chemical free, lasts a LOT longer in my hair and fades much more nicely.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Something that people should realize about this dye is that it is plant-based, so it is inherently different than chemical dyes that most people are used to. You can leave this on for as long as you like. One method that works really well is to mix the dye w/ a little deep conditioner, saturate hair, wrap, cover with a shower cap, and leave it on while you sleep. As long as the dye is wet, it will continue to adhere to the hair. This can make colors like Atomic Pink that would normally last for 3-4 washings last for more like 20 washings. Also, the Manic Panic in the jars that you can buy at Sally and other places is less pigmented than the gel variety (which may be discontinued) because it has built-in conditioner. That's right, this dye nourishes your hair while you use it. So slather it on, wrap it up, and let it soak in to your hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by robotobunneh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

In the past I've used various Manic Panic dyes on bleached hair (New Rose, Electric Tiger Lily, Ultraviolet, Enchanted Forest, Electric Lizard...) with varying degrees of success.

However, I've gone back to a more natural style, and have grown out my medium golden brown hair (it's about mid back length). Since my hair is practically virgin hair at this point, I thought I'd use some pink/purple dye to colour the underside so I picked up Fuschia Shock. Here is my review specifically for that colour:

Pros:
-The colour showed up really gorgeous. It's a bright/medium wine colour and it flatters my skin tone very well.

Cons:
-This dye STAINS. Like not like normal hairdye... I'm talking spend an hour with a toothbrush and some Comet with bleach scrubbing your shower, bath, and any other surface that this dye came into direct, or indirect contact with. I have NEVER had a hairdye stain this bad.
-To be honest, as beautiful as the colour is, I regret dying my hair. I'd much rather have it back to my normal brown colour, which brings me to:
-Good mother of science, this stuff BLEEDS. After dying, I washed my hair... a good 10-15 times with Sunlight dish soap to fade it as much as possible (again, decided I didn't like it). Kept bleeding colour. Did a hot oil treatment because my scalp was irritated, and then washed with my regular shampoo and once again PINK EVERYWHERE. I'm honestly terrified to wash my whole head at the same time because I don't want my lovely brown hair on top to get stained :/

In all, Manic Panic is great if you want crazy hair colours. But think long and hard about that choice before you do it. Also, if you pick up Fuschia Shock, be prepared to be cleaning up for a longgggg time and be prepared to wear this hair colour until the end of days because it sure doesn't look like it's fading yet :/

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2011 8:12:00 PM More reviews by sam23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really like manic panic, I've used pillarbox red and rock'n'roll red so far and both colors have turned out nicely. They don't last that long but I don't mind that, I usually get a solid 2 weeks with a vibrant color and it just dulls more and more for a month or so after that. I have never had one that had a soupy consistency, the ones I've tried were more like lotiony consistency. I definitely recommend only using this if you have several old already stained towels you can use while it's washing out (or black towels) because it does bleed after each wash. but I never bleach beforehand and I always get a pretty red color out of it so I like it. I'm going to try black soon as well. I just wish it was a smidge cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2011 4:02:00 AM More reviews by msdeliare

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

my hair is fine, light brown and naturally curly...like tight spiral curls.i relax my hair and the next day i applied MANIC PANIC INFRA RED (did not bleach). the mistake i made was i put leave in conditioners and an olive oil product in it right after i dyed it....it rubbed off on my clothes...on everything really.i ended up going to the beach and it washed out in the ocean....when i got back i also had MANIC PANIC VAMPIRE RED. i used it but i didn't put any leave in conditioners or oils in my hair after and it stayed!!! that was about 8 moths ago....i still can see traces of the vampire red on my hair after my hair has grown out. everybody's hair is different...i found a way to make it work on my hair...it is kinda liquidy and i made a mess but then again at the time i didnt use a brush to apply it.i left it on for 4 hours and rinsed with cold water...i've heard vinegar works...i didnt want to try it tho.im about to try the new MANIC PANIC ROCK N ROLL RED. im going to do it the same as the vampire red...but im also going to use a filler because my ends are pretty dry from relaxing. before i dye it im gonna do a few days of conditioning and then let it be for 2 days then use filler(redred filler) and then dye it. and rinse in luke warm to cold water to help seal it in.MANIC PANIC isnt for everyone or for every hair type either...but i like it a lot...not to expensive...you can mix different kinds if you wanted..non damaging...not tested on animals.....great color if done properly (again every hair type is different)i have used it and im about to do it again...i trust it.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2011 1:55:00 AM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This hair dye is awful. The consistency is literally soup. Watery, colored soup. It was terrible to try to apply to my hair, it dripped everywhere. It stained everything worst than a permanent hair dye, ANY permanent hair dye i've ever used.
I've had to bleach my bathtub for a few hours to get it all out.

I prepped my hair prior and lightened it, since I have naturally blonde hair but it was dyed darker. I slathered it all in my hair and wrapped it in plastic wrap and left it for an hour and a half.

Upon washing it out, it WOULD NOT STOP BLEEDING. The "excess color" wouldn't stop bleeding after that, either. Dye on my sheets, shirts, anything that my hair touched.

The color went from purple/pink to red to a dull peach within two weeks.

It didn't do any damage to my hair but it was a complete waste of time and money. Terrible color "payoff" not even worth keeping up with.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2011 3:41:00 AM More reviews by ANZology

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I feel this dye is getting very unfair reviews due to people having a massive lack of knowledge of general dying. I'm not saying anyone is stupid by any means. But there are some people that obviously didn't real the labels. Know what you are buying.

Everyone's hair is different. You can check your own hair's porosity. And if you've decolorized virgin hair, it's obviously going to be super porous for dying after the processing. It's obviously recommended that you decolorize the hair before putting vibrant colors in it (especially if you have a dark natural color, or any previous coloring done).

This is NOT a permanent dye (seriously, read the labels), it is a semi-permanent/vegetable dye. That obviously means that the color will not stick for a very long time. If you are dying your entire head, or long sections, and you wash frequently, this will not last. You should either look up stronger dyes, or let a salon take care of it. If you have a few streaks, or a colored section hidden under your natural hair (so roots will not be obvious), then this is a good dye to use.

Because this is a vegetable dye, it does not contain harmful chemicals. I know girls that leave this on their noggin's for hours at a time, or over night to stain their hair. They've never experienced any discomfort nor hair loss from doing so (and neither have I).

You need to consider your shampoos being used. They might strip out ANY dye you put in your hair. Obviously, make sure the shampoos and conditioners are for color treated hair. And don't be scared to try something new if you don't feel your current goodies are working. Corn starch (yes, corn starch) can also be used if you don't plan to wash your hair daily. Use it on DRY HAIR ONLY. It absorbs excess oils. Do not substitute corn starch for shampoos completely.

I am by no means in butthurt-defense mode over this dye. It just helps to know why it is or is not working. If you still do not like MP, Special Effects is another vegetable dye that gets some good praise. I have never used it myself, but it's gotten favorable reviews from what I've seen. Unfortunately, it only seems to be easily available online nowadays.

And on a final note: Dyes stain stuff. That's just how it is. Put on gloves, use Vaseline, wear a shirt you don't want to ruin (or a cape), and suck it up and scrub the tub. Or, again, just go to a salon.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No