MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush

4.4

on 1/28/2012 9:49:00 PM

For about eight dollars cheaper, you can get a superior brush with the #217.

If you have a large lid space and a deep crease, this brush will probably be amazing for softly blending colors. However, if you have a small lid space like I do (think double eyelids but without a deep socket/crease space), this brush will over-blend your shadows and make the colors go everywhere instead.

Also, for $30, I would expect this brush to be super soft, but I find that it's a little scratchy on my lids. I definitely prefer the #217 because it is softer and offers much more control.

on 1/2/2012 5:20:00 PM

I absolutely love this brush! It's probably the best smudge brush out there and I don't think i'd be able to live without it.. haha :) The price, I think, is a "okay" price, because the brush is so high in quality and if you clean it and take care of it, it'll last forever!
Well, I use it daily and I love it! So to everyone who's thinking about buying it, go and do it, NOW! :D

on 12/27/2011 3:15:00 PM

This is a review for the windshield wiper brush in general. The MAC version is a fine one. I just wanted to add my opinion that that this is the most useful brush I own. In fact, I keep a couple around so I can use multiple within an eye design without having to clean (between dark and light or shimmers and mattes, etc.). I have a broad, almost monolid, and the windshield wiper action has been the easiest way for me to get a smooth application without skips or drags. This brush almost single highhandedly put eyeshadow back in my life when I was young and had just about given up on it. Just wanted to share that for other women who might be having the same frustrations.

on 12/27/2011 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love this brush!! I got a mini 224 Special Edition a few years ago and I have used it everyday since. I decided to pick up the full size because I used it so much and I'm still in love! It is the perfect blending brush for blending out the crease color. I found the regular 224 to be softer and less scratchy than the Special Edition but that's a good thing. No shedding for me!

on 12/25/2011 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a great blending brush, larger than the 217. I use the 217 for blending eyeshadow into my crease or at the corners of my eye, but I tend to pick this up if I'm just applying one colour or paintpot onto my lids quickly just because it's bigger.

Also it's absolutely great for buffing concealer into the skin - it's my goto concealer brush.

One lippie off because it's not particularly soft and because it does shed a lot -- for the price it really shouldn't shed as much as it does but it does.

on 11/20/2011 2:08:00 PM

This brush is rough and sheds! I am very dissappointed and am returning this brush. Do not waste your money on this brush.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I think, just like the MAC 217, this brush can be just as versatile. It can be used for blending, a light wash of colour all over the lids and browbone and can be used for crease work. But I must admit you have to have a large enough crease and sadly for me, I don't. But it's not to say it's not sufficient at blending, because it is! I mean where has this brush been all of my life? At first I thought I didn't need it because I had the MAC 217, but that still doesn't diffuse colour quite as nicely as this brush. Yeah it can be a bit rough but it's not intolerable. It's well crafted and lightweight in your hand and if I ever so happen to lose this or accidentally break it, I would totally buy it again!

on 11/7/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i loooooooooove my 224 brush is blends out color very nicely i use my brush for background color then i go in with a more pointed brush like mac 226 brush to define my crease. also i use the 224 brush to blend out conceler or soften color loooove my 224 brush. i think its a must have.

on 11/7/2011 10:06:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Hands down best e/s blending brush. Doesn't deposit a lot of color so it's okay for applying highlighter/brow bone color. Blends like a dream though and really helps to banish any "lines" when doing bold e/s looks. Would definitely buy a back up.

on 11/7/2011 3:50:00 AM

Ok I see it is not just me who finds this brush super scratchy. It is quite pointy so the scratchiness is emphasized. I also find it too big and too fluffy for blending but would have still been happy to use it if not for the scratchiness. I am really disappointed with it (the only MAC disappointment I have). I am going to try to return it - hopefully MAC will take it back...

Top Rated MAC Products