MAC 224 Tapered Blending Brush

4.4

on 12/25/2011 4:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is a great blending brush, larger than the 217. I use the 217 for blending eyeshadow into my crease or at the corners of my eye, but I tend to pick this up if I'm just applying one colour or paintpot onto my lids quickly just because it's bigger.

Also it's absolutely great for buffing concealer into the skin - it's my goto concealer brush.

One lippie off because it's not particularly soft and because it does shed a lot -- for the price it really shouldn't shed as much as it does but it does.

on 11/20/2011 2:08:00 PM

This brush is rough and sheds! I am very dissappointed and am returning this brush. Do not waste your money on this brush.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I think, just like the MAC 217, this brush can be just as versatile. It can be used for blending, a light wash of colour all over the lids and browbone and can be used for crease work. But I must admit you have to have a large enough crease and sadly for me, I don't. But it's not to say it's not sufficient at blending, because it is! I mean where has this brush been all of my life? At first I thought I didn't need it because I had the MAC 217, but that still doesn't diffuse colour quite as nicely as this brush. Yeah it can be a bit rough but it's not intolerable. It's well crafted and lightweight in your hand and if I ever so happen to lose this or accidentally break it, I would totally buy it again!

on 11/7/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

i loooooooooove my 224 brush is blends out color very nicely i use my brush for background color then i go in with a more pointed brush like mac 226 brush to define my crease. also i use the 224 brush to blend out conceler or soften color loooove my 224 brush. i think its a must have.

on 11/7/2011 10:06:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

Hands down best e/s blending brush. Doesn't deposit a lot of color so it's okay for applying highlighter/brow bone color. Blends like a dream though and really helps to banish any "lines" when doing bold e/s looks. Would definitely buy a back up.

on 11/7/2011 3:50:00 AM

Ok I see it is not just me who finds this brush super scratchy. It is quite pointy so the scratchiness is emphasized. I also find it too big and too fluffy for blending but would have still been happy to use it if not for the scratchiness. I am really disappointed with it (the only MAC disappointment I have). I am going to try to return it - hopefully MAC will take it back...

on 9/29/2011 2:12:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This brush is too big to use as a crease brush for my hooded, small eyes, but it works beautifully as an all-over blending brush! I mainly use this to blend concealer under my eyes and around tiny blemishes, and it really does deliver an airbrushed finish, rather than look caked on.
I'd buy this again, mainly because it does such a good job at blending concealer.

on 9/19/2011 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I've had this brush for 4 years and I've come to realize that this brush is not for me. It's fluffy and yet it can be scratchy sometimes. You can use it to wipe fallout, apply highlighter on your brow bone or to sheer out colors. It's packaging is solid, no loose ferrule. I don't have a crease and I don't use this brush very much. It is better for eye shapes with a crease, especially a deep crease. Stable brush, just not for my eye shape.

on 9/13/2011 4:53:00 AM

--- I see there is another 224 reviewed here, but I will put my review under the official MAC naming ---
My 224 says France as place of manufacturing. It is a brush that really changes my makeup results from what I have been used to.
I use it to apply and blend crease colour and to diffuse the colour towards my eyebrows. I FEEL that this brush has great potential, but since I am inexperienced and self-taught I cannot say how good this is.
It picks up colour quite well, no unnecessary eyeshadow picking of e/s fallout and it deposits it in the exact spot I want. Then it is easy to blend,
The bristles are soft and dense and I had no issues of hair fallout yet. I spot-clean it every now and then, and also wash it from time to time. No problem, no bleeding, no shedding, no splaying (guard always on).
I will repurchase if I lost this, but not to have multiples as one is enough for me. All in all necessary but not something thrilling.

on 9/11/2011 9:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Okay, the price is horrendous, BUT I had to buy it as soon as I could! Why? Because the price of brushes keeps going up! Anyway, yes, this is a super brush for diffusing colors. It keeps harsh edges away from your lines. It's a little too big for crease work. I have small eyes, so I use the 217 for that. It's really a great brush to have in your arsenal. No regrets buying at all!

Top Rated MAC Products