April 20, 2014 | 977 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Eye Basics

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2007 11:26:00 AM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was very surprised to read the negative reviews on this product. I have very pale skin and I have it in linen and find that it replaces eye shadow completely for me, it covers up my veiny eyelids and makes my eye look natural and clean. I put a little face powder on top or some chanel "blush" irrelle in Satellite (if you have seen Satellite you know why "blush" is in quotes), add some eyeliner and mascara and I'm off.

I did have an episode where it looked fake and creasy, but that is because i put on too much product. Use a light hand and this stuff is great. What I do is wipe off the excess on the sides of the tube and do three dots just above my crease and blend. It WILL look like chalk if you put too much on, but just because you don't know how to apply it does not make it a bad product in my opinion. I am glad I gave this another chance. Update April 08- I am bumping this down to four lippies because I don't like how it dries up like clockwork at the three month mark. I trash my eye products every three months generally, but will extend something to four months or so if there is product left. Good stuff but aggravating detail.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2007 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Kayelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Like most of the negative reviews, I found this chalky and really difficult to blend. I have it in Linen, and no matter what I do with it it looks obvious and tacky. The packaging is decent, but to me that doesn't help if the product is inferior.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2007 4:44:00 PM More reviews by th_butterfly06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Based off all the reviews I had to try this. What it does help with is for the bottom eye lid. I always had trouble keeping eyeliner on my lower lid (I don't apply on my waterline, I apple below it) but with this product it does help the eyeliner stay on longer. It definitely DOES NOT help with creasing. I have yet to find anything that helps with eyeshadow creasing on my top lid. I just ordered UDPP online and waiting to try it out. Based off how well UDPP works, will depend if I re-purchase this.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2007 11:17:00 AM More reviews by merilynn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got enticed into LM after reading reviews here. Also, when I first arrived at counter, a client told me how much she loved the line. I had a really nice counter person apply TM, concealer, and eye basics. I came home thinking that I really looked flawless, but after buying all these products and using them, I quickly changed my mind. I remembered that makeup artist spent a really long time smoothing out eye basics with handle of brush rolling it back and forth so it would be even. I wouldn't dream of spending several minutes rolling it on my eye to get flawless look. Have since had numerous makeovers where artists apply foundation over entire eye or concealer, and then foundation over entire eye and then makeup. That is a lot easier than applying eye basics as eye basics comes in a tube with applicator which other reviewers say causes it to go rancid quickly if one uses wand, so I apply with brush. I purchased this in wheat and the idea was that eye basics could be used in lieu of eye shadow, but when I apply it, it looks a little ghostly so I don't even bother too much with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2006 12:46:00 PM More reviews by leopardskinny

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this RIS in Linen. I will start on the good points first. Okay, first of all, I loved the wand applicator in the little tube. Second, this product made my eyeshadow crease less than with nothing on underneath - no, not amazing or very good, but something worth mentioning. Onto the not so good bits. When I first opened up the tube I was all exited, reading the amazing reviews on here I was expecting this to make my eyes look great! First impressions of it were that it was a little gloopy, but whatever. My lids are normal- not dry, not oily, so I was expecting just your average application. I have come to the conclusion that this is more of a 'base' for eyshadow. Eg. Put on your primer, like UDPP, and then put on a layer of this for evening out eyelids. I gave this away to my little cousin and now I think I would like it back for putting on top of my UDPP for evening out my eyelids! It is okay I guess but a bit expensive for a base. Maybe I might buy/swap for this again. It did cover my imperfections well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2006 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Ms_Diorella

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I Bought eye basic in linin and really like it, makes my eyeshadow last longer and it looks freshly applied all day, Its non messy and easy to use, I bought the mercier eye basics brush to apply it with also, which makes it easy to use and you don't have to use much product at all so it's good value for money! I also got 2 of the mecier shadows the same day, Pearl and Temptation, they look great over the eye basic and pop out much better than with out using the basic!

Overall a very good product and pretty good value!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 2:27:00 PM More reviews by sheisontherun

I am so torn on this product. On one hand, it covers my funky, veined eyelids better than anything else I've tried. The linen shade works really well for that. On the other hand, it creases like nobody's business and seems to make eyeshadow disappear faster. I should add that my skin is on the oily side so that may contribute, too. I like tossing this on when I'm not planning on wearing any shadow because it gives a nice, polished look. But with eyeshadow it kinda stinks. Not a bad product, as it does have its place, but it could be better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2006 8:18:00 PM More reviews by wendirr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have the Eye Basics in Linen and the color is perfect as a base for my eyelids. I am a very neutral porcelain. It covers my redness and creates a smooth, even canvas for my eyeshadow. It also makes eyeshadow show up better and be true to the color it is in the pot. You only have to apply a very small amount. Be sure to blend it quickly because it dries fast, but as long as you don't use too much you won't have a problem. My eyeshadow lasts all day without creasing when I use this product. It is expensive, but should last a very long time since you only have to use such a small amount each time.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2006 1:44:00 PM More reviews by tammyhughes

I have this in linen and LOVE it. I use it as a highlighter shadow (and then layer the chocolate eye basics color on my lower lid with the summer tan eye basics to go color over the chocolate - it looks fab!) These creme products are the first shadows I've ever used that do not crease even after a long day (and believe me, I've tried everything ... Dior, Bobbi Brown, MAC, the list goes on). It does take some practice to apply these shadows, but once you get the hang of it you'll love them.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2006 8:21:00 PM More reviews by maggiefung125

A very nice eye makeup base, does what it says.

The point is to apply as little as you can, and it will last all day long. Same thing goes for most of their products, less is more.