April 19, 2014 | 1064 users online

Self Tanners - Bare Escentuals - Faux Tan

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2011 1:52:00 PM More reviews by bambigirl0512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought the jumbo size with the new buffing brush that was offered recently on QVC as the TSV. So glad I tried it. I don't quite understand the bad reviews. In order tom love this product, you have to know how to self tan. If you follow the basic steps, you will like this product. For my routine I shower AT NIGHT and use a body scrub on my skin, concentrating on elbows and knees, and shave. Then apply a body oil to my knees, elbows, feet, and hands so that the tan goes smoothly over these rough areas. Then I put a small amount of faux tan onto the buffing brush and buff away! After doing one leg, I then do my knee and foot with whatever is left over in the brush. Same for the arms, with the elbows and hands. If you put too much on these areas, of course it will be uneven, and you will have orange knees and elbows. then I let it dry for 10 minutes or so, out shorts on, and go to bed. In the morning I shower and the orange color rinses off and turns into a natural looking tan. I am fair NW15 and I only apply this about once a week. That is all I need to keep the color. It lasts a very long time.
If you try and apply this before an event, or leaving the house you will end up being orange within an hour! Sure it looks nice when you put it on, but it will oxidize on your skin and color your clothing. The best way to use this is before bed and shower off the excess color in the morning.
I love this self tanner!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2011 1:19:00 PM More reviews by psychout

Every Spring I try out self-tanners, and have never found one I liked. This year I decided to give this a try when I saw it on QVC, and I am so happy I did. I got the one with the brush - it's easy to apply, and the guide color makes it simple to see where you've missed.

The only down side I can see is that it's dark. I did it two days this week and one of my students told me that I had "tan feet." I looked down, and she is right! I am fair-skinned, and my feet look like they usually do in August.

The best part was she didn't say "orange feet"!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by amyd1969

I hate this stuff. It's THICK and takes forever to dry. Once you're on you're 3rd day it starts to peel off your skin and leaves it super blotchy. Love the Faux Tan but this moisturizer is horrible.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2010 11:29:00 AM More reviews by MiaAnneli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this product after reading so many good reviews about it, but as much as I wanted to like it, I didn't. The biggest problem was that it made my skin really dry, and when I tried to put make-up next morning after using this on my face during the night, my foundation didn't blend well on my face because of the dryness. It also seemed like my face lost its healthy glowing, result was kind of too matte. I also tried this for a second time, but same thing happend, it just dries my skin terrible. The color was pretty nice though, but little bit too yellowish and faded away too quicly.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by lilexibabe92

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This self tanner is the best out there. I've been using it for 3 years and it hasn't let me down. I have tried so many different self tanners from sprays, to mousses, to other lotions. I've also tried getting spray tans, and this out does all of them!! The only con is that it may stain your hands a little. I just scrub them after I use the self tanner, or you can wear gloves. But it honestly is the best self tanner, definitely give it a try!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2010 9:02:00 AM More reviews by sullenmoon

Totally agree with californiagrl. I have tried a multitude of self-tanners, many of them upon MUA reviewer recommendations, and found this one (I only tried the liquid version) to be the best in terms of a natural looking tan. Gloves are definitely a must for application...they help avoid any staining. I actually like the scent, and the tan will stay for a bit. My skin is hard to tan...i can get orange...but this product is amazing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 5:20:00 PM More reviews by ckgurl714

I would give this product a 4.5 if I could, but I stuck with a 4 for now. I am incredibly pale and would have never thought to buy this, but I received a free sample at an event I was working. When I saw the color of this powder, I thought "NO way". I swatched it on my hand, and thought the same thing. I apply bronzer with a foundation brush, but it's the Essence of Beauty one, so it's a little thicker/fluffier than most. Applying this product with a dense brush is really tricky and I wouldn't recommend it to a bronzer newbie. A little really does go a long way (and I use a ton of bronzer and go through most really quickly). I set up 2 lids to swirl this in when I am applying. I put a tiny bit of Faux Tan in the first one and touch my brush in it enough to cover most of the bristles, then I tap so there isn't too much product on the brush. I then take the second lid and just swirl the product in. Then I blend REALLY well. The tiny bit of powder is good for my face, neck, sometimes shoulders. This bronzer looks amazing and natural on. It was definitely a pleasant surprise. Also, no glitter!! When I look at the bronzer in the pot, it looks like there is some, but once applied, the product is just a natural glow. I have analyzed this product in all kinds of light, and I can't believe how natural it looks in the sun. My only small gripe about this product is it doesn't last all day and can look a little shiny, but I truly havent found a bronzer that does. Also, as others have mentioned, the holes on the BE sifters are ridiculous. That being said, I would repurchase this product, but I literally think the tiny sample would last me a month with daily use.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2010 11:13:00 AM More reviews by MakeMeUpToo

I use both the powder faux tan and the self-tanning, liquid faux tan and love them both! The powder faux tan is perfect for darkening my foundation to the exact right color for me, no matter what time of year it is. And the liquid faux tan leaves a beautiful, non-streaking, natural color on my skin. It does need a moisturizer added later though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2010 1:08:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like that this is matte not shimmery and shiny. In the pot it looks brown and uninteresting, but the tiniest bit warms up my skin (better than Warmth) with a subtle bronze. I find that Warmth has reddish-brown (rust) undertones, while this has more golden-brown (bronze) undertones. It takes a while to get the hang of applying a bronzer, but itís worth it (I like to apply it to my forehead, tops of my cheeks, across my nose and juts barely on my chin). As with all BE, a little bit goes a long way; and the packaging it terrible, so be careful when opening. I will buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2010 1:51:00 PM More reviews by californiagrl

Let me first start by saying that I read MakeupAlley reviews religiously but there was never really a product that made me want to write one myself...until now!

I recently tried BE's Faux tan and I am in LOVE!!! I read a bunch of reviews before buying it but was still pretty skeptical since I never really had a good experience with other self tanners.

My routine (I only did my legs):
1) exfoliated & shaved
2) moisturized all over (heavily on knees, ankles, feet)
3) used gloves to apply, while also using Suave lotion to help blend
4) took off gloves and blended all over with my hands
5) waited about 15 mins and put on loose pajama pants
6) woke up the next day and took a shower

RESULT: beautiful, EVEN, realistic, golden tan! Absolutely no streaking and even looks real on ankles.

I used lotion while applying Faux Tan because I was scared at how it was looking on my legs... I guess it's just the color guide, but it was looking SCARY...super streaky and dark!

I would only use this the night before, I definitely think it needs to set over night and washed off in the morning to achieve a golden, even-looking tan. I was nervous how it would turn out after I applied it but it was gorgeous the next day.... This is the BEST and most natural looking fake tan out there. I will keep buying this as long as they keep making it.