Ouidad Climate Control Gel

3.7

on 6/13/2008 9:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I LOVE this stuff. I have very curly hair that I have struggled with my entire life, until I found ouidad!! I get the carve and slice hair cut every six months and I use only ouidad products! My hair has never been so manageable, and unfrizzy. I highly reccommend this and the botanical boost.

on 4/8/2008 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is a really nice humid-weather gel. It is expensive so I buy it in the professional size, but save it for the worst summer weather. I alternate with this and Curl Keeper (another awesome product for humid weather). I apply it very generously, section by section, to my hair and then diffuse dry. I can *always* count on a good hair day when I use this product, no matter what its like outside!

on 1/3/2008 1:26:00 PM

I am a naturally curly girl, and this is my HG styling product. Like most other girls with curls, I am a product junkie and have tried anything and everything to get my curls to behave. This gel gives me soft, defined, frizz-free spirals that hold all day (actually, several days). It is the only hair product that has kept my loyalty longer than a few months.

I purchase the professional 33.5 oz size through the Ouidad website (ouidad.com). At last purchase, the 33.5 oz size was $66. I have thick, medium length hair, and this lasts me between 2 and 3 months. I know it sounds like a lot of money, but I actually save money this way, since I'm not buying 5 or 6 products a month that I'll only use once before tossing.

Here is how I use the gel:

1. Shampoo and condition hair, rinse upside down.
2. While hair is SOAKING WET (and I'm still in the shower), apply quarter-sized amount of gel mixed with a pea-sized drop of deep conditioner and smooth over entire hair surface.
3. Using nickel-sized amounts of gel only, "rake" gel through hair in small sections at a time (about 5 sections) while hair is still upside down (and I'm still in the shower).
4. Scrunch hair (still upside down and in the shower) to promote curl formation and squeeze out excess water.
5. Step out of shower and use plain 100% cotton t-shirt to blot excess liquid.
6. Clip hair at roots for volume and air dry (or diffuse dry).
7. After hair is dried, rub nickel-sized amount of Shine Glaze between palms and run over hair, as if gathering hair in a pony-tail.

For full disclosure, I also use Ouidad shampoo and conditioner, and I do the Ouidad deep conditioning every month, so my hair is in the best shape it's ever been in. I'm not sure how well the gel would work on my "old" hair (back in my Herbal Essence days . . . *shudder*).

on 12/12/2007 11:01:00 PM

I love this stuff. I run it through my hair mixed with tres fx for a little more frizz control, and my muti-textured, extremely frizzy, hard to tame curls are suddenly shiny and bouncy. If I finger curl, I've suddenly got a head full of soft, shiny, light curls. It doesn't weigh down my hair at all or make it crunchy. Nothing has every worked like this for me before, and I've tried EVERYTHING.

on 11/22/2007 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Well, I'm a recovering Ouidad addict who bought into the idea of specialized products and a salon for people with curly hair. And yes, I've had several of those specialized "carve and slice" haircuts, too. Conclusion? Meh. It's all hype as far as I'm concerned. I have wavy/frizzy, thick hair that can be coaxed into curl with the right cut and products, or blown-out and straightened poker straight. Humidity is my hair's biggest enemy. This product, which can supposedly do the job as a curl gel and a straightening one, is mediocre at both. I've found Run-of-the-mill drugstore stuff (for me, the L'Oreal gel for curly hair) works better. Don;'t get me wrong - this stuff works to coax in the curl, but it doesn't control frizz as much as I would like. Extra couple of lippies off for being so pricey and hyped, when a $5 product works just as well or better.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I know this is the HG for a lot of curly heads, but this stuff just doesn't work for me. I've tried it on and off over the years, and I must be doing something wrong. It makes my scalp itch and leaves my curls with the weirdest texture and feel, almost like plastic. I have better results using drugstore gel or mousse.

on 6/28/2007 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I know a lot of people rave about this product, but I just don't get it. I wanted to like this gel, I really did, but it just didn't work for me. Every time I used it, it seemed like my hair just wouldn't dry. It left my curls super crunchy and they appeared "wet" all day long. It definitely cured the frizz, but that's only b/c my hair was extremely hard. Who knows, maybe I applied the gel all wrong?

on 5/16/2007 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have thick, coarse, very curly hair. An ex-coworker of mine told me about Ouidad, and I am absolutely indebted to her. I have been using Ouidad's products for 7 years and will not even think about using anything else. I started with the this product and from there started with the "Tame" line of products. I briefly tried the "Quench" line, but found that the "Tame" line worked much better for my curls. It did, however, take at least 2 months of continuous use of the shampoo and conditioner before I saw a dramatic results. For me, this is it!!!! Wonder if anyone has gone to one of Ouidad's salons and gotten the "Carving & Slicing"? Let me know, I'd be interested to know how it came out.

on 5/10/2007 2:13:00 PM

I really wasn't sure if I was going to like this product and I was afraid that it might weigh down my fine, thin curls, but it didn't at all. This is a really great product for naturally curly hair. I have absolutely no frizz whatsoever. This product does exactly what it says it will. It really works - so paying the extra $$$ doesn't bother me, because I have wasted so much money in the past on products that don't do as they claim. I will continue to buy this product and recommend it. It is especially good now that the weather is getting really humid. You should definitely try this product!

on 4/5/2007 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

generally not too impressed. did strange things to my hair and i suspect it's given me, on multiple occasions, some kind of bizzare irritation on my forehead and sides of face. not the worst stuff, but for the price, should have been much better.