November 26, 2014 | 1773 users online

Loose Powders - Jurlique - Silk Dust

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2008 11:07:00 PM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a review for the new formula of the old silk dust. It used to be packaged in a small china pot and it is now in a shallow plastic tub with a matte black attached lid with a mirror and puff inside.

I chose the new citrus fragrance because this was the one that claimed to rebalance oily skin. I really dislike the fragrance which has suprised me. I usually like lemony scents,even masculine scents like Issey Miyake for men. I was expecting it to be a Clarins/Miller Harris type citrus but in my opinion it has an awful sink scouring odor to it. It smells like Bartenders Friend Cleaning Powder to me. It's very strong and everytime I smell it, it makes me feel down for some unknown reason. By contrast I loved the smell of the old rose silk dust, quite whimiscal and romantic. I don't think they've changed the scent formula of that one.

As for the packaging, it is more utilitarian, a little Laura Mercier in appearance and rather unisex. A nice touch would have been a slider to cover the sprinkler holes in the top to minimise powder loss. Personally I prefered the old design. I liked the charm of the china pot, it seemed more apothecary- like.

As for the powder, does it blot and control oil? It's very good for eliminating the appearance of stubbornly shiny areas, like those surrounding the area next to the base of the nose. This powder is coarse however so it should not be used liberally.

Edit: I much prefer the rose version and would always buy that.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2008 8:22:00 PM More reviews by pinkvanilla

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was excited to try this product after hearing rave reviews about it.
I was a bit disappointed. I guess it just doesn't sit well on my combination skin. It made my skin really dry on my cheeks and just a tiny bit dry on my t-zone.
I would purchase again, however I'd only use it on my t-zone and I'd only use a really small amount.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2008 9:58:00 PM More reviews by AutumnShadow15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

*Wow!* I love this powder!! I have a super oily t-zone and this powder keeps my face 100% oil free the whole day. It even if I sweat, my face still stays matte and fresh. The powder itself is exceptional - it has a delightful rose fragrance and blends flawlessly into my face. If you have oily skin and are considering buying this, I can highly recommend it! It has been an absolute godsend for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2008 8:52:00 PM More reviews by jjgosser

I use the lavender silk powder and LOVE IT!!!! It is excellent under mineral powder. You only need to dust your face lightly. I have oily skin and it helps my skin soooo much. LOVE IT!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2008 11:33:00 PM More reviews by wishfulwords

I LOVE this powder, I have repurchased this so many times, it's a definite HG. I never go out without having this on. I have stopped wearing foundation and heavy makeup since I am trying to improve my skin, so I usually put this on right after sunscreen.

This powder leaves an amazing finish! The jurlique line really aims to promote glowing skin. This powder is great for matte-ing down that shine, so that your skin is still left visibly clear, but not so "shiny". It is particularly good for days when your skin isn't the best and you just want to pat something light over it. Whilst the powder is white, it blends in nicely.

Along with the rest of the rose line, the scent is pleasant and definitely not overwhelming. Often the citrus line is associated with oilier skin, rose for balance and lavendar for dry skin. However, I have tried all three of them and also confirmed with the SA that they are all good for oil-absorbing, and the difference is mainly the scent.

Unforunately, I am not too pleased with the packaging (older version). Like other jurlique bottles, the jar is quite heavy and so isn't very portable. I'll have to find a smaller jar to decant some in, so that i can carry this around for touch-ups. I also don't like using the sponge they provided, I tend to use a dense flat top brush for even and cleaner application (if you use a soft, fluffy brush, the powder goes everywhere).

The only other powder I have found that mattifies and shrinks the appearance of pores is NARS, however it doesn't hold oil down as well and my sensitive skin can't seem to take it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 11:09:00 PM More reviews by Aji05

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The only makeup i wear everyday is blush and lipstick so silk dust is great for my powder blushes to hold onto on my cheeks. I dust a little on the apple of my cheeks and then apply blush. This is a staple for me. I'm a NC45 and the whiteness of this powder doesnt show when applied lightly. I wouldnt go overboard with it though.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/28/2007 3:56:00 AM More reviews by sjk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

It removes shine and keep my skin clear.

BecauseI like watery skin and it's dry winter, I only use this powder on

my t-zone after using sun screen and highlighter.

But on package, I saw dead insect.. maybe because of its natural lavender scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2007 2:21:00 PM More reviews by kametotsuru

I really like this product. It's very light and leaves my skin feeling and to appear smooth. The scent is great and not overpowering. I like that the pot has the the plastic lid dispenser with holes, so I can pour some out onto a powder puff and apply it to my skin. It can look light, but once it goes on the skin, it's tranparent and looks natural.
Edit: I wanted to like this because of the natural ingredients, however, this powder makes my face feel tight and it accentuates flaws on my skin. In pictures, my skin looks dry and pale.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2007 9:26:00 PM More reviews by brandde

I have combination skin and although this is a pleasantly fragranced powder (something Jurlique seems to do very well), for the price I could go to my pantry and pull out some cornflour, add a drop or two of essential oil and get the same effect. It made my skin feel dry when I applied it and left a visible powdery residue which needed to be brushed away. I found my T-zone was pretty shiny in a couple of hours. This is not a scientific product and no amount of herb 'magick' is going to help with an oily T-zone with these simple ingredients I'm afraid. Read the ingredient list - it's pretty much cornflour with a few novel herbs and pretty-smelling essential oils (synthetic fragrance? I don't know for sure, but I have never smelled a rose essential oil quite this sweet - and I have tried just about every single one available on the market). I opted for a standard mineral finishing powder and am much happier.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2007 10:18:00 PM More reviews by ricerice

love this product!. doesnt break me out at all which is always a plus since alot of products break me out. i can even use it at night when i'm sleeping to control the oiliness of my skin. one down side to this products is that it doesnt completely keep my skin looking oil free all day. after a few hours of dusting this 'dust' on my skin, i sometimes feel that i need to reapply. i dont particularly like the smell either. i have the one in lavender.