Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar

3.4

Price: $

Price: $

Triethanolamine, TEA Stearate, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Water Purified, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Ricinoleate, TEA Oleate, Cocamide DEA, Fragrance, Tocopherol

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this for maybe 10 years now. A dermatologist recommended it to me for my sensitive eczema prone skin. I strayed occasionally to other products - particularly in my teens when a orangey brown bar of soap just didn't compare to all the colorful fruity smelling concoctions that my friends were using! I have combination skin, so I get quite oily around my nose and chin, but dry and flakey everywhere else. This is so simple and inexpensive, but honestly, it's the best. It cleans all oil and makeup residue from my face without being too drying. I find it to be virtually the same as the liquid version that comes in the pump pack, but the bar is just much more cost efficient. I now use st Ives apricot scrub once or twice a week, this cleansing bar every day, followed by the neutrogena moisturiser for sensitive skin. I find that this combo balances my skin perfectly, I rarely have any dry patches and hardly ever get a spot of acne. I still can't believe that something that's so cheap (and lets face it, not very glamorous) is the cornerstone of my skin care!

on 4/8/2011 5:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Cool

not bad as a basic cleanser for normal skin. i wouldnt use it for dry skin though, its far too drying with continued use. it wears down so fast, id rather use the pump. being acne prone, it didnt do enough for my complexion. one major pro is that it will take off all your face makeup with one wash, no need to re-cleanse.

on 2/25/2011 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have been using this consistently for years - since it was recommended by my dermatologist when I was 13 (I'm now 36). Great soap, cleanses well, doesn't cause breakouts, and rinses completely. This does tend to "melt" easily as it is mostly glycerine. I keep it in a covered soapdish in my freezer when I am not using it, I tend to get more life out of it that way, especially in the summer. Staple in my skincare routine!

on 2/22/2011 12:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a great, inexpensive cleanser to have around. It has never given me any problems. It basically does its job and nothing more, nothing less.
Yes, it smells a little funny, and it isn't the prettiest bar of soap around, but it works! And for the price, it's so nice. It could be drying to those with dry skin, but using a moisturizer right after will take care of that.
Bar soap is a little inconvenient, I will admit, and sometimes the bar will just turn to mush if my soap container doesn't keep enough water out, but I think this stuff is just a bit over a dollar per bar, so it's still easy on the budget.
I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something cheap, simple, and something that works.
By the way, I have very acne prone skin, and this has never caused any flair ups!

on 2/21/2011 1:58:00 PM

this is a great and inexpensive facial cleansing bar.

I have bought this soap on and off for over 10 years now (as you can tell by my screen name I love to try products always!) Anyway, I have tried about every facial cleanser on the market. From, high priced clinque, origins, etc. to generic store brand ones, to infomercial ones. Yet I find myself always going back to this one. It is a very good cleanser. It leaves a nice clean feeling on your skin. Not burning and tingling, not soft and greasy, just clean! When I met my husband he still had breakouts (he suffered from bad acne as a teen) He started using this and within a week his skin looked like it did when he was a young kid. He LOVED it. I always make sure he has it on hand for himself when I am embarking on a new find! He has stuck with it though and will not try another one. All I can say is it does work, it is great and the smell is not as bad as some make it out to sound. I have tried many high end products I just did not care for the smell myself and could kick myself for purchasing in the first place. If you get it and don't like it costs less than a Venti Coffee from Starbucks so you really aren't losing out!

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I have really sensitive skin and this works great for me. whenever I use this my face fresh and clean

on 1/4/2011 12:54:00 PM

I like this. It takes off my makeup remover residue quite well, and it is so cheap. The only downfall is that it is a really soft bar. The smell isn't so bad, I quickly got over it. Definitely does not dry my combination skin either.

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I just started using it today. Yes, initially I did notice the weird smell, but it didnt totally bother me. I have no problem w it, except that it did dry out my face about my t-zone. I always have an issue with cleaners bc of this. I just quickly moisturized my face.

on 12/22/2010 12:37:00 PM

I love this soap!!

I have combo skin with random small breakouts and I am an AVID searcher of the best of the best products. I have used everything from Dermalogica to La Mer.

While I love Dermalogica's special cleansing gel, it just doesn't cut it so a friend of mine recommended this soap and I'm hooked. The smell is whatever, I don't even notice it. I store it in a plastic soap dish and I do not put it under running water. I use a little beauty scrubber sponge ($5.00 for a pack of like 20 so I toss them every month or so) and I just wet the sponge and run it across the soap and later up on my face. Cleaning and exfoliating in one! I use this bar soap only at night to remove makeup. I follow up with a scrub with salicylic acid and a nighttime moisturizer and eye cream. In the morning I use a gentle liquid cleanser.