July 25, 2014 | 1246 users online

Eyeliner - MAC - Powerpoint eye pencil in Engraved

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2010 12:38:00 PM More reviews by Mandibulo

A good basic black. I've seen better, in the sense that it could go on smoother and be a lot darker, aka a true black. I have trouble lining the waterline with this as I don't find it soft enough, plus it kind of drags my skin when I try to get an opaque black line out of it, so a little harsh on the delicate eye area. Doesn't smudge or transfer on me, but I haven't really had that problem with any eyeliner. I'd say if you're looking for great staying power go for the retractable one by Mac (Graphblack), and if soft and creamy is what you want out of an eye pencil, then check out the normal wooden black pencil from Mac (Smolder). Don't think I'd repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2010 6:16:00 PM More reviews by modelsoup202

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I mean this eye liner is good but its not great. It smudges pretttty bad and doesnt glide on as easy as the 24/7 urban decay eyeliner in zero. If u really want to buy a good prciey eyeliner i def recommend urban decay's 24/7 eyeliner in zero over this one anyday:)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2010 4:27:00 AM More reviews by chrrrristina

I took a chance and bought this product after reading all the mixed reviews here. In the store I swatched it onto my hand and waited a minute and rubbed over it and it barely smudged at all! So I bought it and wore it out and i checked my makeup after a few hours and it hasn't smudged one bit!

I love love love this eyeliner. My favourite pencil liner so far. The texture is creamy and glides so easily when applying. It's waterproof and long lasting. Definitely recommend this for an everyday liner.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2010 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Kriszta07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Well i have to say it is the best pencil liner i have tried so far (before i had rimmel, avon and revlon). But its still far not as good as i expected it to be. i have to line my eyes 3-4 times with 2minute breaks inbetween to actually get a black line! so i have to bulid it up way too slowly! a part of the product will stay on for hours but not evenly. i tried to set it with black eyeshadow but it made no difference.
the only way it works very good is when u put the product on the back of your hand, apply it with a 219 brush on the lash line and blend it so from dark lash line up to nothing on the lid and put a pigment on top of it and it will have a nice smokey effect. (im bad at explaining, hope that made sense :) )
so it is better then drugstore and it has one not fail purpuse, but if your lookin for a good liner i still wouldnt recomend it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 10:57:00 PM More reviews by TheShe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was pretty disastrous for me. Eyeliner is really fickle and personal, and what works wonders for one person is bound to be a flop for someone else. I'm just here to add my voice to the chorus:
This stuff lasted, tops, maybe 30 minutes on my lids before it transferred (big black line halfway up my eyelid), and then shortly after just melted off into a gray-black smudge under my eyes. I have oily lids and have a hard time finding liners which DON'T do this, but it's not impossible - blacktrack, for instance, works for me most of the time. But this stuff was probably the worst that I've ever tried, and that's saying something. The fact that they sell this as a waterproof liner is especially ridiculous, I think. I guess 'waterproof" doesn't necessarily mean "doesn't smudge off in ten seconds", but it's kind of implied.

A couple of plusses: it's very, very creamy. No tugging at all and it feels really luxurious to apply. If you've got dry lids, this might actually be your holy grail. I'm just saying: oily lids, don't even bother. Or at least buy somewhere with a good return policy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2010 5:13:00 AM More reviews by dea2407

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

(0 - 5 points, 5 = excellent, 0 = very bad)
pigmentation: 5
texture: 5
smudge-free: 4
colour-fast: 4
versatile?: 5
staying power: 4
TOTAL POINTS: 27 of 30 = very good

Powerpoint Pencils in general are the best liners for me! They are: easy to apply, last very long (even on the waterline) and available in lots of colours. Plus: they are my favourites for lining my upper lashline - I'm really clumsy with eyeliners there, but they work great for me and last all day long!
Engraved is THE black liner for me!!! Easy to apply, richly pigmented and a just the classic black. It doesn't smudge on me - as some other reviewers wrote...
I have never thought about buying another one since I own this and I will buy again and again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by bloodyroses

I figured it's much more useful to review 7 different pencil liners at the same time. For reference, I'm Asian, my eyes are not hooded and are very sensitive. I wear contacts and my seasonal allergies go berserk when spring comes, so they get really watery and itchy. I never wear liner alone--always with eyeshadow primer and eyeshadow. The bottoms of my lids are not oily. The objective was to test out how these liners wear on the waterline

LISE WATIER WATERPROOF EYELINER in NOIR INTENSE

This liner definitely STAYS put. Just watch out if you're crying--then it can get a little smudgey. It's very smooth--no skipping or anything. It's also really pigmented, so you only need to draw the line once. It wears really well on the upper waterline, the upper lashline and the lower lashline, but when you put it on the lower waterline, it doesn't stay on. It fades from the lower waterline and also feels sticky--I've figured out that this is part of this particular liner's stay-put quality. The wear on the other parts of the eye are all-day. Lower waterline wear is just a little uncomfortable and lasts only about half an hour (which is good--the sticky feeling won't bother you the whole day, then). 17CAD, found at London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart and Sears Canada.

LANCOME LE CRAYON KHOL in BLACK EBONY

Super sotty black. Like, THE blackest black. Super easy to apply because of the high pigmentation. But aside from that, it's no fun to wear. In about half an hour, I no longer have a prettily lined waterline--instead it has migrated three times the thickness of the original line and it DOESN'T come off. Well, not unless I go at it with a q-tip soaked in makeup remover, but really, who carries makeup remover in their purse? 27CAD at The Bay, Sears Canada, Sephora, Shoppers Drug Mart and London Drugs.

MAC EYE KOHL in SMOLDER

For an eye kohl pencil, the staying power is really not that bad. It's about 2 hours of perfection. As the day goes on, it fades away. It does smudge, as well, but minimal. An "eh" pencil. One could do better. But if your eyes aren't very watery or anything, it'd probably be great for you. 17.50CAD at MAC at The Bay, MAC, MAC Pro.

SHU UEMURA DRAWING PENCIL in M BLACK 01

Hard to put on the waterline. It's probably because it's a waterproof pencil trying to draw on a wet waterline. It's very smooth and very black, though. Staying power is NIL. Absolutely nil. It was so bad, I returned it in a flash. After about an hour, it fades away COMPLETELY from the waterline and migrates waaaaaaaaay down below the lower lashline. 25CAD at Holt Refrew.

MAKE UP FOR EVER AQUA EYES in 0L

After the makeup board was recommending me this liner, I decided to try it out. I'm disappointed. It literally is the same story as the Shu drawing pencil. Very black with panda eyes in an hour, flat. Sigh. 19CAD at The Bay, Sephora, Sears Canada and Shoppers Drug Mart.

URBAN DECAY 24/7 GLIDE ON EYE PENCIL in ZERO

Again, another liner that just pissed me off. Everyone I talked to promised that it'd be THE liner and I was particularly excited because when Sephora opened just last summer, I made it part of my first purchase there. And you know what? Exact same story as the Shu drawing pencil and the MUFE liner. Pooey. 21CAD at Sephora.

MAC POWERPOINT in ENGRAVED

This liner has the same consistency as the Lise Watier liner, but this one actually stays much longer on the waterline, without that weird stickiness. Very smooth. You might need to run the liner over twice over the same place to make it darker, though. The fading is very gradual and very neat--it doesn't smudge and leave a mess below the lashline. I believe it only started to fade after 4 hours. So far, this liner wins the contest. 17.50CAD at MAC at The Bay, MAC, MAC Pro.

Phew. That was long. Hope this helps someone!

19 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 7/24/2010 12:06:00 PM More reviews by Sugarnspice28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not impressed with this at all!!!! I wanted a eyeliner that would give me the intensity of Smoulder but more staying power....what a utter waste of money! It is quite dry and isn't as easy to apply as Smoulder. Also fades ridiculously. Don't waste your money.
Update - I now use this to fill in my brows, works well for that purpose!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/23/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by michyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

it was 18 bucks. i wasted 18 bucks on this stupid eyeliner that smudges SO DAMN EASILY!

i have oily small lids so they smudged like crazy and this eyeliner seemed to not dry at all, 'cause i tried to close my eyes for like a minute or two to let it set on my eyelid so it wouldn't smudge but didn't work..

when i used it on my waterline it totally smudged without a doubt, i had raccoon eyes for the rest of the day when i wore this to school once. by the 3/4 block, omggg raccoonn eyeessssss... i definitely would not repurchase. expensive and smudges! but hey, that's just me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2010 11:51:00 AM More reviews by kjmsmm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the best black eyeliner out there! First of all - it is soft and creamy, but not too creamy as to smear as you are applying it like the Stila Eye Kajals. If you want to smudge it, it smudges beautifully. If you want a precise line, it will stay all day. This is waterproof so wear it to the beach or the pool! Love love love it!