Laura Mercier Tightline Cake Eye Liner in Black Ebony

4.3

on 5/14/2008 6:39:00 PM

Love this eyeliner. The only thing that makes a very thin line that sits very close to the lash line. Once it sets, it lasts all day without budging. The only thing is that it is not waterproof so I have to use a different product if I want to use it on the waterline, which I only do when I have heavier makeup, which is rare.

The cake lasts a long time, but you do have to buy a brush to use this properly. I wish they would come out with more colors. I would love to have a dark brown and a warm gray with this. Sometimes black can be too jarring on casual days. The mahogany brown they have is too reddish.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I have this eyeliner in Black Ebony and Bleu Marine. I've bought BB's cream eyeliner and it smudges by the end of the day. I have little asian eyes and whenever I open my eyes, the liner will smudge onto my lid unless even when I use waterproof liner. But LM's eyeliner stays on all day and doesn't move. I apply it with MAC's pointed eyeliner brush so I can get in between my lashes and can draw as thin or thick a line as I want. It does kind of smudge when I apply on my lower lashes, but to make it stick I use Benefit's She Laq or I'll use Chanel's stylo yeux waterproof eyeliner pencil (also another great eyeliner). I will definitely buy LM's eyeliner again.
Update: I love BB's gel eyeliner too. It just took me a while to apply it right, but it also doesn't smudge on my lids and it looks more intense than LM's eyeliner.

on 3/1/2008 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This product really breaks my heart. I've tried it so many times, each time fooling myself into thinking that I was probably doing it wrong. I keep going back because tightlining with this gives the perfect emphasis that my eyes need without being too much like almost all of my other liners do. The extra plus is that it doesn't aggravate my contacts. However, the biggest problem is that it smudges like crazy. If I blink, black smudges show up on my lower lid, which doesn't help because I have really bad dark circles already. If I close my eyes (for example, when I'm taking a shirt off) it smudges completely onto my lower lid as if I had purposely put eyeliner there in the first place. I've tried moistening the brush lightly and heavily and it doesn't help either way. I've also tried reading older reviews in hopes of finding a tip, but it's nothing I haven't tried already..So hopefully I'll figure it out, otherwise it's 20$ down the drain :(

on 2/28/2008 7:49:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

LOVE this! It only smudges if you mix it too thin. Only use a TINY amount of water. Also, mix it somewhere else, not in the pan. A nice black dense line that stays put, even when I sleep.

on 2/24/2008 10:48:00 PM

When the MA put this eyeliner on me, I had to get it. I loved how dark the eyeliner was and how easy it was to apply (using the flat LM brush that the MA used). A week later though, I began to notice that this liner smudged very easily. I started to apply primer before the liner, but that still didn't stop the smudging. I also noticed that if you use the method of making the brush wet before getting the liner on the brush, it changes the consistency of the liner palette, which then makes the liner not as dark as it originally was. I still haven't found the perfect liner, but this is better than previous ones I've used.

on 12/19/2007 4:25:00 PM

Sorry to bring down the ratings, but this product smudges on me something awful. I used it to tightline and it created a black smudgy arc above my eyelids and on below my bottom lids. I'm returning this to Sephora ASAP. MAC's blacktrack fluidline is a blacker black, easier to apply, and doesn't smudge on me at all.

on 12/4/2007 8:03:00 AM

This is the blackest eye liner ever. Not that sissy "Natural Black" like Clinique's cake eye liner. Think ink. With the LM flat liner brush, this stuff is unstoppable. I hate the price, but it's going to last a lifetime. My lids are oily and this is the only stuff I can keep on -- lasts all day and night without a smudge.

on 11/18/2007 6:10:00 AM

This is the longest lasting eyeliner that I own. It is a dark black and I apply it wet for a strong look or damp for a softer look.
I did find this a little tricky at first but once I learnt the application it is fine. Just a little time consuming so if I am in a rush I will use pencil instead but I do prefer this for the longevity.

on 11/18/2007 12:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't know how this liner can be beaten for control and staying power. Used with the recommended LM brush, this product does everything it claims and more. Go to the counter and ask for a demonstration--you won't be disappointed. I am a guy interested in bringing out my eyes, not in becoming a drag queen. Tightlining +/- a little mascara on the upper lashes is the way to go. I got it right on the very first try at home, and if I can do it, all of you can.

Love, love, love this eyeliner. I prefer powder or cake eyeliners to gel because they are easier to control (for clumsy me, at least!). When applied with a damp brush, this eyeliner lasts all day, never smudges, and stays true black. I wouldn't use it for tightlining or on the waterline because powders are generally not waterproof.