April 21, 2014 | 1478 users online

Liquid - Merle Norman - Luxiva Lasting Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2009 12:57:00 AM More reviews by bdawn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this foundation for a couple of years, but I never loved it. I had been using Merle Norman's Aqua Base for a about 15 years and I loved it but as my skin changed and aged I found that it just wasn't working for me anymore. It left my face to greasy and pasty looking. So I went to Merle Normans and asked them to recommend another product for me. Because I specified that I needed a foundation that lasts for the whole work day, they recommended the Luxiva Lasting foundation so I bought it in the same shade that I always bought the aqua base foundation in. The sales rep said it was exactly the same color, but it wasn't. it was at least one shade darker.

Okay, so there were some positives with this foundation. For one thing it really does last all day. As a matter of fact it seems to stay on until you take it off. It was also great for my oily skin. It dried matte and I didn't have to put any powder over top of it. However I hated the way it felt on my face. I'm suprised by the reveiwers that say it dries to a powder finish, because it sure didn't feel like that to me. I thought it dried like paint. Once you dot it all over your face you have to blend it very quickly because it dries fast and I swear I always felt like my face had been painted. Also I didn't see it doing anything remarkable for my overall appearance. I thought it gave okay coverage but made my skin look older overall. My whole face had a dry painted feel to it and the fine lines seemed more obvious.

Now my love affair with Merle Norman foundations seems to be over. Aqua base was my staple for years and I have since tried all of their other foundations only to be left disappointed. I am now using mineral foundation and I have heard that Merle Norman has recently developed their own mineral foundation. If anyone here has tried, the pretty please write a review. Although I have recently become disenchanted with Merle Normans foundations, I do believe that they use superior ingredients and I have always been impressed with their products so I have high hopes for their mineral make-up.

Oh and just wanted to say that Merle Norman SA's can be very snotty. I drive across town to go to a Merle Norman store that I know is friendly and welcoming. There is a Merle Norman store just a few block from me and I never go there anymore because of the crappy attitude I always get there.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2009 6:30:00 PM More reviews by rtaylor01

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Update: Have been using this for several months now, and I went back for a repurchase. It is really unique and works so well. HG.

I never buy the same foundation twice. I never find one that is perfect. I have aging, acne prone skin, tiny red veins around my nose, large pores, oily in the T zone, dry in other spots, dark patches from old scars and sun damage. To make matters worse, my neutral super pale skin is tough to match. Everything is too pink or yellow and nothing has the right amount of coverage. Once I get it on, it melts off after a couple of hours in the tropical climate I live in.
I had given up on a perfect foundation.
However, I ran into a new Merle Norman just to see. Perfect match, wonderful finish, stays all day. Waterproof even. No breakouts.Looks like skin, not like makeup.
I finally found the perfect foundation.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 9:56:00 AM More reviews by 1950sblonde

I love this product! I have normal-oily skin during the summer, but during the winter it is like my skin has no oil. So when I went in to get a makeover for prom and she told me about this I was a bit ecstatic to try it. When she applied it to my face it covered up amazingly! There was only one other product I have liked this much and that was this powder foundation I only use during the winter. I did have to use concealer for my dark circles because they are pretty bad, but that was about it; oh and a translucent powder to set the stuff. It is like a second skin that last a really long time if you don't sweat a whole lot, but since I live in Louisiana it doesn't last long, but when I move to Seattle I will wear this makeup every day. Sure it was a little out of my pocket, but it is worth the cost. I think I paid about $25-32 for it, but if it works why not just buy it?

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2009 7:37:00 PM More reviews by JYCS19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I had to go to 2 Merle Norman stores to find a good environment/ helpful sales associates. I swear, they have the worst customer service in a few of their stores, but I was lucky enough to find a good store in Toronto. It was $39 for 29ml which is almost the same amount of product from my Mac Select SPF 15 Foundation. It is more expensive but the SA ensured me that it would last 4-5 months because you only need a little product. If its anything like my MAC Select in terms of the longevity of use, this will last a very long time. I got matched with Creamy Beige and I wear NC30 in the Select foundation. Perhaps NC35 in the summer. I bought the concealer also in Bamboo which has a very nice yellow tone. The foundation or concealer are not pinky like the ones at Clinique, Lancome, MUFE, Smashbox, etc... I was afraid that Merle Norman wouldn't have yellow tones but they actually do! I just got it so I will update on the use of it. So far I like the color when I was matched up. I just wish the package for the foundation was see-through, just so I know how much is left, but it's okay! I got a nice gift with my purchase too!

Update 05/23/09: So I used it today and the SA told me it was medium to full coverage but honestly its so sheer! I feel like I have to use more product which is a waste. Its more expensive then my mac! This has no pink tone in it which I love. Color is a tad off because its a bit light and lacks enough yellow in it to match my neck, I'm wondering if I should try Soft Bisque.. MmMm... When I use this foundation, I have to top this off with the Merle Norman powder (Ultra Cream) I got as a sample which I think was a bit light. The concealer color was too dark n the finish was totally undersirable. I'm not completely sold on this product. It does last long and blends nicely but you have to work fast or those streaks are gonna dry on your face. I'm going to try it out when its really hot outside. I'll update soon.

Update 05/28/09: Lowering rate from 4 to a 2. The creamy beige was too light... and the soft bisque I tried as a sample on my face and went outside and its too dark... BOO HOO... It'd be nice if I could have found my right color but then again the coverage is quite sheer to me unless I pack it on... Back on my search for my HG

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by seira7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This stuff is fantastic - it's everything I could want in a makeup, superior coverage, yet it feels like a "second skin" It lasts and lasts and looks super natural as long as I take time blending.
Its non-transferrable too! Doesnt get on your clothes, cell phone. I have combo skin and I dont even need powder for the oily areas! The color I bought is a near perfect match, though its perfect for winter and the next shade up is too dark for a light tan. I would mix them but oh, lordy is this stuff freakin expensive! Yet its one of those must-have things you just need to save up for *shrug*

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2009 5:40:00 PM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I usually wear powder foundation, but it just hasn't seemed like enough coverage for me lately. After reading the glowing reviews on this, I was excited to try it. I went to my local Merle Norman and waited patiently as another customer was being helped. That's how it is in my local shop. They normally have one SA and you basically have to wait in line to be helped. The atmosphere is terrible. There's never any music playing (not even elevator music) and there are no testers of ANYTHING. All the products are kept in little drawers that only the SAs can open. You tell them what you're looking for, they reach into their little drawers and pull out whatever they think would be best. So, I ask about this foundation and she just looks at me like I'm crazy. "You wouldn't like that. It's like stage makeup. It's very heavy and it was made for oily skin". Ummm, my skin is very oily. Even though I tell her this, she looks at me as though I'm lying. She insists that I try several other foundations first, one of them an extremely heavy cream foundation that is heavily fragranced (called powder base foundation. Yuck. See my seperate review for this). So, after trying three different things and hating all of them, the SA acts as though she's stumped and there's nothing left to do. I basically had to demand to try this. I was so tired of being there and humoring this woman and I knew what I wanted to try even before I walked in. The formula was actually quite beautiful. It's pretty much a liquid-to-powder foundation in a tube. It feels light going on the skin and is very buildable to a heavy coverage. The shade "Cream" was an absolute perfect match for my MAC NC20 skin. I've actually never had a foundation match me so perfectly. I had to use a little concealer on problem areas and tried this both with and without setting powder. I found that it performs better without. Powder on top just seemed to make it clump up a little. I also tried it with Merle Norman's Luxiva Powder Foundation as someone else mentioned, but it looked a bit cakey. Wearing it for 10+ hours, my face actually did stay mosty matte. I only had to blot once during the day. There are a few negatives for this that, unfortunately, outweigh the pros. First, when a good layer is built up on the face, it feels very heavy on my skin. I'm so accustomed to powder foundations and this feeling is just unacceptable to me. The worst part, though, is that I break out in tiny whiteheads every time I wear it. I've decided that the hassle at Merle Norman is enough to prevent me from ever going there again...except to return this foundation. For reference, this product retails for $27.00.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2009 11:04:00 PM More reviews by weulike

ive had breakouts since i was in the 6th grade..i used covergirl..neutrogena...everything under the sun...but my mom gave me a sample to try one day and i fell in love with this stuff...i ended up buying some around my 10th grade year...and im in my twenties now and i never turned back...some people have doubts when i tell them that this stuff has cleared up my face so much..its unbelievable..it almost controls my oil...i dont really know how to describe this stuff..and it deff. covers up all my old acne scars...staying power is pretty much all day without a primer...and i live in the humid south...id give it a try!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2009 8:27:00 AM More reviews by pizzamomma

I have been looking for a lighter feeling foundation for spring and summer to replace the medium to full coverage of ELDW Light. I really wanted something with the same staying power as Estee L. Based on the reviews here I went in my local Merle Norman. I have never been in one before and was very impressed with the products and customer service. The sales lady was very helpful and NOT pushy. I got a generous sample of the Luxiva Lasting. I loved it so much, I went in and got the full size and some other products. It has a light-medium look and feel. And it has staying power. Give Merle Norman a try, you might love it. P.S. This is buildable if you want a heaver coverage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by lillylou2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Why oh why does anyone like this???? This foundation felt like a powder when i put it on... it's like it went to powder form when it hit my skin and i have oily to combo skin. II pretty much just hated it blah

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2009 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Breezi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this product!!!! I decided that I wanted a foundation that would give me more coverage and would control my oiliness throughout the day. When I bought it I expected a so so product meaning I was expecting a little bit of oil control and maybe a couple of touch up but to my surprise this foundation makes me look flawless throughout the whole day I think I just have to touch up once a day if that. Gotta love this product!