September 17, 2014 | 1015 users online

Moisturizers - La Roche Posay - Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 9:55:00 AM More reviews by sillysilly

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a really nice basic light moisturizer for those of us who don't react well to stuff with silicones. It sinks in quickly and doesn't feel greasy or sticky at all. I've been using this for a couple years now as a replacement for colladerm (which starts to go bad quickly in the bottle, ime, has a slightly off smell, and a slightly sticky feel). The bottle is the perfect size to bring in your bag or on the plane. I actually use this for my hands as well (while on the go) because most products in small packaging that are sold for hands are way too greasy for my taste.

My skin is normal, acne-prone, gets dry when the weather is especially cold.

2012: still using this, have gone through many bottles. this is the only thing that never burns when my skin is going crazy.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 12:42:00 PM More reviews by MojoWorkin

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got a sample of this in a swap, it was so good I had to buy it.

It's pricey, but my skin is really sensitive, dry but prone to acne -- I needed this. Non comedogenic, gentle, humectant, minimal ingredients, light, not greasy, non scented: it has all the things I'm looking for in a facial moisturizer.

I will continue to pay the extra for it, and go out of my way to buy it online (rather than just getting something at the drugstore) for all of these reasons.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 1:09:00 PM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Exceptional light, basic oil-free moisturiser containing minimal ingredients and no artificial fragrance. High in La Roche-Posay's signature soothing thermal water with a humectant "delivery system" of glycerine and squalane. Packaged in a hygenic opaque 40ml pump bottle, clinical but stylish. Stands alone or can be used alongside other members of the Toleriane range for reactive skin. Sounds boring and generic, but is really quite fabulous.

I've been using this for the past two months on my very sensitive, dry-to-combination skin during the most testing time for any moisturiser - midwinter in Scotland. I originally intended to layer it, serum style, with a heavier lotion (Avene Skin Recovery Cream) over the top when/where necessary. This approach has worked well for me, but I've been surprised to find that the Fluide alone sometimes provides ample hydration and moisture for daytime. Oilier skintypes would probably be able to use this without anything on top to seal it in. Outside is cold with strong winds and the relative dryness of the east coast of Scotland; home is a draughty 17th century tenement and central heating needs must, but since using TF my skin hasn't become dehydrated as it usually would (read: parched underneath, greasy shine on the surface). Quite the opposite: it looks plumped up and glowing, fine "thirst lines" all but gone. Zero irritation - skin is in fact much calmer overall - and pores mercifully devoid of clogs (unlike some unfortunate reviewers).

On initial application the Fluide leaves a slight dewy finish, suggestive of healthy radiance rather than oil slick. One full pump is enough for face and neck. It's rapidly absorbed and makes an excellent base for whatever you care to put on top, be it a richer cream, sunscreen, make-up or all three. Foundation wears well and evenly over this - until recently I was debating whether to invest in a primer, but finding a suitable moisturiser has made the question redundant. It can also be applied over treatment products without redistributing them to the wrong bits of face, which was a pleasant discovery.

A tentative HG - and I never use that term for fear of tempting fate (caution born of a lifetime in irritable skin) - and a loud recommendation for people who share my skin type/concerns, or who are at the oilier end of the spectrum and find most lotions too heavy or emollient, but experience dehydrated skin. Now for the major con: LRP's parent company is L'Oreal, which occasions a personal dilemma on the animal testing front. Can be difficult to lay your hands on - in the UK, large Boots stores now stock La Roche-Posay (allegedly - it hasn't yet materialised in some). If you happen to be Edinburgh-based, the Royal Mile Pharmacy (Canongate end, by the Netherbow Well) and Newington Pharmacy (Clerk St) both stock LRP. Otherwise garden.co.uk or zest-essentials.com are reliable online stockists, or skinstore.com for those outside Europe.
EDITED TO ADD 10/09: As this has similar ingredients to many makeup finishing sprays, which are often essentially water and glycerin mixtures, I've been experimenting with using this over foundation if it ever looks cakey, too matte etc. It can't be spritzed in its current packaging but dabbed and smoothed on with a damp sponge or even fingers, it gives an identical and lovely radiance.
Ingredients: Water, squalene, glycerin, dipropylene glycol, sodium carbomer, ethylhexyloxyglycerin/ethylhexylglycerin, capryl glycol. 14 (US$24) /40ml (1.4fl.oz)

23 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by macbook313

I used this just twice and have the worst skin I've had in a long time. I broke out so quickly. I can't return this fast enough.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2009 10:05:00 AM More reviews by nailbunny

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

UPDATE Dec 2009: Have switched to just Macadamia Nut Oil as cleanser and moisturiser. It's my HG, now.
My skin is ultra-sensitive, acne-prone, prone to redness, combination. I can't use anything foaming, mineral oil or essential oils. The Toleriane range is exactly formulated for my skin type.
UPDATE: *sigh* not moisturising enough. Have switched to Avalon Lavender Daily Moisturiser, which I apply on skin dampened with LRP water which is working great.
UPDATE, again: it's always a combination of cleansing and moisturising and the balance between the two that we all are trying to find. Now that I've switched to a cleansing routine that is ultra-gentle, this moisturiser is now moisturising enough for me. I'm so glad I didn't give it away or use it up on my arms - my normal ways of getting rid of a rejected product. So, it's back up to 5 lippies
UPDATE (22/7/09): After 4 weeks of using my own mix of Sunflower+Camellia+Jojoba oil in equal parts as my cleanser and moisturiser, my skin is clear and glowing again.
This moisturiser is the only store bought moisturiser I can use, but it still makes my skin sting a little and the oil mixture works so much better that this has been put on the bottom shelf in the bathroom.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2009 2:46:00 AM More reviews by smam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can be quite harsh on my skin, as I prefer to use very strong treatments and like products with very strong concentrations of ingredients like glycolic acid, salicylic acid, and vitamin c. Usually, my skin can take it, but every once in a while I get a bout of sensitivity, and this product is what gets me through it quickly and repairs my oily/combination skin. It instantly soothes and calms redness and irritation, while keeping skin matte yet hydrated throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2008 5:14:00 PM More reviews by sweetheart519

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really great moisturizer. LOVE it. I have sometimes severely dry skin, especially in winter. I also suffer from eczema and very itchy skin. My face gets very tight sometimes, and flaky, after I wash it.

I thought this might be too light for my really dry skin, but it is PERFECT. Sinks right in, gives me just the right moisture. No more tightness and no more flakes, and I use it under my retinoid at night. This is my nighttime moisturizer due to there not being any SPF.

I have tried a lot of moisturizers over the years. This one is highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2008 5:41:00 PM More reviews by rebeccaae

This was recommended to me by a dermatologist. My skin had suddenly started misbhaving and this really helped the problem. It's my HG, though I still do love to dabble with the more lux brands ocassionally. Who doesn't like a thick, whipped cream sometimes... I however, use this as my daily moisturizer. It's incredibly light weight and keeps my skin just hydrated enough. Everyone should use a moisturizer, you just need to pick one that's not too heavy for your type of skin. Strangely enough, mine has become more oily as I've aged and this is the perfect fit for me. It lasts a few months using it everyday. I think it was about $25. I buy it on amazon. I love the nice pump it comes in - very clean. And, it's light and easy to take with you on trips. Give it a shot if your skin has been acting up.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2008 8:22:00 PM More reviews by hmkramer

This is really good - it's a good light moisturizer if you just need a little moisture, or it works great layered under your regular moisturizer for more intense moisture. It's a bit odd - almost watery, but effective and very gentle. I use it on my young children if their skin gets red or dry, too. It's also great for airplane rides. You can get through security with it and apply during the flight. It's light enough that you don't get greasy, but it protects you from drying out. I think I like it so much because it's so versatile - you can really use it year round in different ways and it's so gentle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2008 1:20:00 AM More reviews by amara_lani

If you have problem skin and are looking for a gentle, fragrance-free, lightweight moisturizer in a hygienic, lightweight, shatter-proof, travel-friendly pump, I would recommend this moisturizer.

Admittedly this is not my go-to moisturizer after I decided to give up products containing synthetic ingredients and favor myself more naturally-sourced moisturizers. But this one survived the toss-out extravaganza because, quite simply, it is free of the top most hazardous synthetics to put on the skin and it works well. Toleriane Fluid sinks easily into the skin and leaves a slight "glow." I find it perfect under foundation.

Note of Caution: it's sister sunscreen, La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX SPF 15 moisturizer/sunscreen, contains harmful ingredients (eg, parabens) and comedogenic sources of sun protection and is NOT recommended by me.

approx. $23 for 1.35 oz (40 mL)

Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Fluid's Full Ingredients:
Water
Squalene (noncomedogenic, moisturizing)
Glycerin (noncomedogenic, moisturizing)
Dipropylene glycol
Sodium Carbomer
Ethylhexyloxyglycerin/Ethylhexylglycerin
Capryl Glycol

Squalene gets a good deal of attention as an effective noncomedogenic moisturizer for the skin. Traditionally it was sourced from shark liver oil but these days generally it is botanically-sourced, coming from olives, amaranth seed, rice bran and wheat germ. Along with glycerin (also in this moisturizer) and jojoba oil, squalene gets the lowest possible ratings for both comedogenicity and for irritation making it very appropriate for sensitive or acne-prone skin. A decent option. Hope this helps!!

**I reserve a 5-lippie rating for products that shine above the rest in terms of efficacy, and based on toxicity and comedogenicity. I have a strong interest in consumer health and setting higher standards for the beauty industry. I extensively research products developed with consumer health in mind. This is my personal quest to find the best-quality products. We shouldn't have to choose between beauty and health.**

18 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No