La Roche Posay Toleriane Soothing Protective Light Facial Fluid

3.8

Aqua/Water,Squalane, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Carbomer, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethylhexyl-Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol

on 11/10/2009 2:39:00 PM

Be really careful with this - it states non-oily on the box and only has about 7 ingredients - as an OSNW thought it would be good as need to find a replacement for Prescriptives Super Flight Cream now that prescriptives are going out of business (boo hoo!) Anyway, got totally lulled into a false sense of security with the minimal amount of ingredients and didn't do my usual patch testing on my forehead first, then cheeks before I put it anywhere on my nose or chin - big mistake! Chin and nose broke out terribly - lots of deep painful cysts on chin in particular - totally upset. Then had a closer look at the ingredients - squalene is an oil!!!! Be very careful - non-oily does not mean oil-free.

on 7/8/2009 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am not currently using this product but I have for many years used LaRochePosay products. They are great for sensitive skin and it never gave me breakouts or milia, I am thinking of going back to it. However, it's not a green product and I am trying to go the natural route. I enjoyed how it was lightly moisturizing. It's fairly pricey as a bottle cost 23$ CAD +tx. I think La Roche Posay is also owned by Loreal but it's their "dermatology clinic friendly" line. Hence the good quality.

on 7/8/2009 3:47:00 PM

I got this as a gift so I don't know how much this goes for. I have the worse type of skin ever! It's dry, combo, acne prone, sensitive skin with mild redness... almost anything I use ends up clogging my pore/breaking me out! This stuff isn't bad! It really does "sooth" my intolerable skin and leaves it nice and matte. No stickiness either. I can feel the cooling sensation after applying and it feels wonderful! Works great under make up and makes the redness in my face lessen. Great stuff!!

on 6/9/2009 10:54:00 AM

After a major break-out and with my skin being overly irritated my doctor told me to get this one. Toleriane is without perfumes and can be used by every skin type. It's a nice light fluid for those who have very sensitive skin and tend to get irritations from all the added perfumes in most facial creams.

on 5/15/2009 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This is a great light moisture lotion for when my skin is oilier during the warmer months. Never irritates my very sensitive skin and is a great bland moisturizer with no fragrance or preservatives.

on 5/14/2009 1:22:00 PM

I dig LRP and absolutely love their products. This is my very favorite moisturizer, and I've been using it about 6 months after receiving a ton of samples at CVS.
I find this very moisturizing for my Taz-treated skin. The lotion is thin and very hydrating. It wears wonderfully under makeup (I usually apply LRP Anthelios Moisturizer SPF 15 over it, which is nice and creamy) and I get nice, very dewy (in a youthful, not greaseball way) skin. I apply LM mineral setting powder over it and I'm done.
I have sensitive, plug-prone skin (in chin area) and haven't had any problems. As I said, I use Taz every night so maybe that just keeps my skin clear, but honestly....it's never looked better. I use it day and night!

on 3/20/2009 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This was one of the worst products I've ever tried. It caused a bad reaction although it has only a handful of ingredients and perfume/paraben and petroleum free. It balls up even when I put it on damp skin and doesn't even hydrate! For something that is meant for very sensitive skins I think it's way too harsh. I know people have success with this and it's all good. But for me most of the Toleraine range is a no go.

on 3/9/2009 12:42:00 PM

I got a sample of this in a swap, it was so good I had to buy it.

It's pricey, but my skin is really sensitive, dry but prone to acne -- I needed this. Non comedogenic, gentle, humectant, minimal ingredients, light, not greasy, non scented: it has all the things I'm looking for in a facial moisturizer.

I will continue to pay the extra for it, and go out of my way to buy it online (rather than just getting something at the drugstore) for all of these reasons.

on 3/4/2009 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Exceptional light, basic oil-free moisturiser containing minimal ingredients and no artificial fragrance. High in La Roche-Posay's signature soothing thermal water with a humectant "delivery system" of glycerine and squalane. Packaged in a hygenic opaque 40ml pump bottle, clinical but stylish. Stands alone or can be used alongside other members of the Toleriane range for reactive skin. Sounds boring and generic, but is really quite fabulous.

I've been using this for the past two months on my very sensitive, dry-to-combination skin during the most testing time for any moisturiser - midwinter in Scotland. I originally intended to layer it, serum style, with a heavier lotion (Avene Skin Recovery Cream) over the top when/where necessary. This approach has worked well for me, but I've been surprised to find that the Fluide alone sometimes provides ample hydration and moisture for daytime. Oilier skintypes would probably be able to use this without anything on top to seal it in. Outside is cold with strong winds and the relative dryness of the east coast of Scotland; home is a draughty 17th century tenement and central heating needs must, but since using TF my skin hasn't become dehydrated as it usually would (read: parched underneath, greasy shine on the surface). Quite the opposite: it looks plumped up and glowing, fine "thirst lines" all but gone. Zero irritation - skin is in fact much calmer overall - and pores mercifully devoid of clogs (unlike some unfortunate reviewers).

On initial application the Fluide leaves a slight dewy finish, suggestive of healthy radiance rather than oil slick. One full pump is enough for face and neck. It's rapidly absorbed and makes an excellent base for whatever you care to put on top, be it a richer cream, sunscreen, make-up or all three. Foundation wears well and evenly over this - until recently I was debating whether to invest in a primer, but finding a suitable moisturiser has made the question redundant. It can also be applied over treatment products without redistributing them to the wrong bits of face, which was a pleasant discovery.

A tentative HG - and I never use that term for fear of tempting fate (caution born of a lifetime in irritable skin) - and a loud recommendation for people who share my skin type/concerns, or who are at the oilier end of the spectrum and find most lotions too heavy or emollient, but experience dehydrated skin. Now for the major con: LRP's parent company is L'Oreal, which occasions a personal dilemma on the animal testing front. Can be difficult to lay your hands on - in the UK, large Boots stores now stock La Roche-Posay (allegedly - it hasn't yet materialised in some). If you happen to be Edinburgh-based, the Royal Mile Pharmacy (Canongate end, by the Netherbow Well) and Newington Pharmacy (Clerk St) both stock LRP. Otherwise garden.co.uk or zest-essentials.com are reliable online stockists, or skinstore.com for those outside Europe.
EDITED TO ADD 10/09: As this has similar ingredients to many makeup finishing sprays, which are often essentially water and glycerin mixtures, I've been experimenting with using this over foundation if it ever looks cakey, too matte etc. It can't be spritzed in its current packaging but dabbed and smoothed on with a damp sponge or even fingers, it gives an identical and lovely radiance.
Ingredients: Water, squalene, glycerin, dipropylene glycol, sodium carbomer, ethylhexyloxyglycerin/ethylhexylglycerin, capryl glycol. 14 (US$24) /40ml (1.4fl.oz)

on 2/12/2009 1:56:00 PM

I used this just twice and have the worst skin I've had in a long time. I broke out so quickly. I can't return this fast enough.

Popular Moisturizers