Kerastase Bain de Force

3.9

Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Disodium Cocoamidopropionate, Laureth-5 Carboxylic Acid, Glycol Distearate, Sodium Chloride, Cocamide MIPA, Sodium Laureth-8 Sulfate, Hexylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Methylparaben, Magnesium Laureth-8 Sulfate, Polyquaternium-30, Magnesium Laureth Sulfate, Hydroxypropyl Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Sodium Oleth Sulfate, DMDM Hydantoin, Carbomer, Polyquaternium-7, Magnesium Oleth Sulfate, Quaternium-87, Methylparaben, 2-Oleamido-1,3, Octadecanediol, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 10 (CI 47005), Fragrance (Parfum)

When I first tried this shampoo I wasn't sure about it. I went into my hairstylist at Vidal Sasson Costa Mesa and told her that my hair had been feeling a little limp from my Bain Chroma Riche and Bain Satin. She said that this product, the green bottle with the white stripe was great for color treated blonde hair. I have hair that is medium, maybe a little on the fine side but I have a ton of it. My stylist said that natural blondes have the most individual hairs but it isn't as thick as other colors. Its slightly wavy and naturally blonde but I had highlights and lowlights for more dimension. This shampoo is supposed to be rotated in with the Bain Satin or the Chroma Riche. I was told to get it like every third time. In the shower I liked how it cleaned my hair but left the moisture in. I felt like a protein type of strengthening. Now this is crucial. When I first used the shampoo I used it with the Age Recharge mask. This combo left my hair hair feeling a bit oily at the roots, dry at the ends and a little stringy. I bought the Vita Cement condititoner and tried it and discovered that these two products used in conjunction with each other are amazing. I expected a protein conditioner but no, what I had was amazing soft shiny hair that felt like it was in great condition. I don't dislike the age recharge mask, I just suggest using it with another shampoo. My vote is this shampoo is great. Im going to buy Bain Satin next time and rotate like my stylist suggested. I think that if you buy the shampoo, in order to get the full benefit you also need the conditioner with it. I have not tried the conditioner on it's own. Im so happy with the effects of the two products together that I don't want to risk a bad hair day.

on 7/17/2010 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Well to kick start this review I better mention why I first decided to purchase this product...
Late last year I decided to get my hair chemically straightened while on holiday, so I got it rebonded (a.k.a. Japanese hair straightening). My hair was amazingly straight, especially after being so dry and rebellious prior to the treatment.
When I got back from my holiday I unfortunately ran out of the shampoo they had suggested I use (which was only available in that country), so of course I had to choose another brand of shampoo and conditioner. After a week or so my hair was falling out far more than normal hair should. It was to the point where my hair would clog the shower drain (and that's bad!). :(
I was furiously researching what others, who have had the same hair treatment, were using and that is how I stumbled upon this product.
I was putting all my faith in this product as I was scared that it wouldn't be the right product to use, but low and behold it worked wonders. After a couple of weeks of using this product my hair was beginning to strengthen and my hair fall was reduced. Now my hair hardly comes out at all. :D
I only give this product 4 lippys because I am sure that there is another shampoo out there that could do just as good of a job for less the price, but I haven't come across it yet. So for now this would have to be my HG shampoo. :)

on 6/16/2010 9:20:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I do not have enough bad things to say about this product - and I SO wanted to love it. I'll start with the (very few) positives: it smells delicious (as others have said, it's rather like green apples), lathers well and the packaging is sleek and easy to use.

Sadly the good stuff ends there. I was prescribed this range by my HD as I have previously bleached blonde, now dyed brunette shoulder-length hair. The ends were sensitised and needed 'rebuilding', so the Resistance range seemed to fit the bill. I used the BdF, following it with the Ciment Ant-Usure. The 1st few times I used this combo I saw no difference in the condition of my hair, just my 1st ever case of dandruff (!); in spite of this, I thought I'd give it a fair shake and stick with it for a while. The next couple of times, my hair felt perfect - smooth, silky, just the right amount of weight. After that sadly short-lived spell, my hair began to feel lank after washing (I wash every other day) and took an increasingly long time to air dry. I stuck with it, and now - 1 month since 1st using these products - I have:

a) An irritated, spotty, flaky scalp (delightful)
b) Glossy roots, ok ends - but the length in-between (approx. 4 inches) feels as though it is coated in wax
c) Faded colour - although I'm not sure whether the BdF is entirely to blame, the water in my area is terrible for stripping colour

I tried just using the BdF to see if the conditioner was to blame, but ended up with the same disastrous result: clumpy, waxy, stiff hair that somehow also manages to look frizzy. Dream come true!

I had heard so many rave reviews of this shampoo and thought it would be perfectly suited to my hair's 'problems'. It has actually managed to make matters worse. I am studying at the moment and as such, not awash with cash - I invested in these products because I really believed a prestige brand like Kerastase could do more for my damaged hair than any drugstore brand. I have no idea how to get rid of the waxiness (which, incidentally, rubs off on my hands when I try to style it and is seriously difficult to wash off) - I have tried two different shampoos so far but no joy yet. I went to a Kerastase salon for some advice and they claimed never to have seen a reaction like mine so perhaps I'm just one of an unlucky minority - it may work amazingly well for you. They also prescribed the Bain Divalent shampoo so I'm going to give that a try, but I must admit being slightly scared of Kerastase products now!

I'm going to try a clarifying shampoo next - I know it will strip my colour but I would rather be rid of the 'wax' and then re-colour. At the moment, I am forced to wear my hair scraped off my face in a ballerina bun as this is literally the only way my hair looks passable. I'm sorry to have gone on such a rant but this has been a really upsetting experience and I'm nowhere near out of the woods yet. I even have to wash my pillowcase more often as the wax rubs off overnight - and I don't want to have to add spotty skin to my woes!

By all means try it - preferably in sample form - and see if it works for you, but please, please, please beware of the build-up! You will be stuck (in every sense) with it for a while!

on 4/20/2010 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This product was amazingly bad in my opinion. I experienced little to no lathering, it sucked out all moisture out, while somehow left my hair feeling unwashed. I have never experienced the act moisturizing my hair after a shampoo such wonderful relief. I detest moisturizing shampoos, that leave my hair weighed down and dirty; but I don't really want a moisture sucking tangling formula that does little in the way of actually washing my hair. I'll stick with my L'anza, thank you very much.
For ref, I have thick and very long hair.

on 4/8/2010 11:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Normally, I would NEVER review products after one use but I just have to say that yesterday I bought the Bain de Force shampoo, Antiusure conditioner and the Ciment Thermique treatment (leave in, use before blow dry) and I'm blown away!!! In my 33 years I have never used a product that has made such a difference on my hair in just one use (or made it look like this after multiple uses). I have long, straight, color treated hair that has been getting a lot of split ends lately and I was thinking I may have to cut a good inch off (which is horrible when you're trying to grow it)....Literally, after one use, my hair is so soft, shiny, perfectly straight and though the split ends are not completely gone it feels mended and stronger. I spent over $100 on the three products which is RIDICULOUS!!! But for products that really work, I will definitely make room in the budget so I can always buy this stuff!!

on 2/16/2010 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I bought this shampoo after I bleached my hair. My hair was in very bad condition before and now it looks a lot healthier! I used Bain de Force along with Kerastase Ciment Anti-Usure treatment. After I use the shampoo, my hair does feel a bit brittle but then I use Ciment Anti-Usure treatment, which makes my hair soft and healthy looking. I recommend this product, If your hair is very damaged!

on 2/5/2010 7:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Excellent, amazing product. It really strengthened my tired, over-processed, fine hair in a couple of months. Excessive use of flat irons, excessive coloring and poor care from my part had led my hair to become very weak. I had more than split ends I ever had. That's the only shampoo (combined with Ciment Usure) that reversed the situation. Fast forward 1 year and now my hair is in full health! A little goes a long way, so in the long run it's not more expensive than super-market range shampoos. Oh! and it smells divine!

on 2/2/2010 1:44:00 PM

I don't know, I feel like I saw more breakage than before with this product. It was recommended to me, and I wanted to like it, but I didn't. Anything with Sodium Laurel Sulfate can't make your hair that much stronger. Nice smell though.

on 1/31/2010 4:35:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I like this shampoo for everyday use - keeps your hair strong, clean, doesnt strip your colour and keeps your hair healthy. Only downside is that its not ultra moisturising (plus its mega expensive). Will continue to purchase, along with bain satin 2 for special occasions. Also plan to try bain mirror. Have tried bain chroma riche but it leaves a coating on your hair which builds up.

on 1/24/2010 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I've been using the "green line" of Kerstase for months, and am very impressed. I have fine, very processed hair, and the shampoo and conditioner really seem to have made a difference - my hair although not perfect, is so much easier to manage, and is definitely smoother and has increased in shininess by about 40%.
It's pretty pricey, but worth it if you have hair like straw! As of this month, I'll be alternating these products with Kiehl's line of thickening shampoos for more volume, but Bain de Force will remain my mainstay.

Top Rated Kerastase Products