October 26, 2014 | 1077 users online

Cleansers - Ponds - Deep Cleanser Cold Cream

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Alright guys, I'm going to use this for longer before I finish my official review, but I just have to say something.

Firstly, I used this only as the new formula, having just started recently. I have to tell you, I am HIGHLY reactive to chemicals (and even some non-chemicals like argan oil) and clog very, very easily. I try to keep to a simple routine, using aloe and lavender oil, maybe some sulfur or clay as main daily products in my routine. I have tried **everything**, cleansers, moisturizers, treatments, drugstore, HE, even prescription and most dry me out and break me out. I am fairly natural when it comes to food and products, HOWEVER: I really think people over hype some of the chemicals in products. I get wanting to be natural and being wary, definitely doing research is great. But for me, for example, I do not react to DMDM hydantoin. Yea, it's a derivative of formaldehyde, which is a little scary. (A lot of nail products have *actual* formaldehyde in them) But chemistry is very interesting in that 'a derivative of' does not mean it's the same thing. In chemistry, you change one part, the whole thing is different. Often they will have similar properties though, and in this instance this chemical is a preservative, used in very small amounts, (and only shown reactive in doses over 0.2% *to those who have an allergy to it*) to prevent mold and fungus from growing in your jar. Please understand that I'm not extolling the virtues of this chemical, I'm not. I'm only using it as an example and stating that it really is about each persons personal allergies and reactants, not necessarily the product itself. Do I trust that every corporation is careful to never put toxic ingredients in their products? No. I don't trust them that much. I just don't want people to be overly scared of something just based on name and rumor only. Remember how bad and scary botox was (and is) as a freaky facial injection? Well there is research now that people use botox injections to fight migraines and cerebral palsy. That's a big freaking deal. So do I love botox, hell no. But it has it's uses and can be beneficial. That's all.

So onto my review. :D *Personally*, this has been the best thing I've ever tried and I'm so amazed at my previously devastated, broken out and over dried skin that I don't even want to jinx it with a review. lol. I have only used it for about a week so I'm waiting to use it further to complete this, but I wanted to write my little chemistry disclaimer first.

I do use this after wetting my face, I just can't put it on dry. I use it morning and night, and to remove it, I use a warm wet washcloth. I have found that is the best way. Like I mentioned, I react to everything, so I don't currently have a moisturizer I trust. So having a 'cleanser' that is so emollient is really helping me fight the dry, cold weather (it's been around 9 degrees lately!!) I also use aloe (like, cut from the plant) all over afterward, and lavender, sulfur, first aid cream, jojoba and/or Queen Helene clay as spot treatments if needed. That's it. Previously I was using Olay sensitive foaming face wash and it was the only thing that didn't break me out (and has the DMDM hydantoin in it, interestingly enough). I had used that for YEARS and when I started my quest for something better, I only screwed my face up, for a long long time, even using "sensitive", "non-comedogenic" products (yea, right. I'm looking at you, Cerave, Paula's Choice, Murad.) But that Olay wash was a little drying. This is way better. My skin glows and looks so clear and soft. I'm sooooooo happy, and I'm glad the new formulation is ok on my skin as well. I do have some clogs still, which I have regardless, but so far its the same amount as usual but my skin is less dry when using this which makes it worth it. Usually, the spot treatments are fairly drying and other face washes are as well, so it's very hard to get a balance with moisture/fighting breakouts in the skin barrier. I think I will use the Olay wash sometimes, maybe either AM or after the cold cream in the PM and possibly the witch hazel toner as well just to be sure I'm not leaving mineral oil in my skin which probably would cause someone like me to clog.

UPDATE: It's been a little while and I still like this. I still wet my face first, even if I have no makeup on, and I still use a warm wet washcloth. I think tissues are too harsh. Also the witch hazel is a bit much so I only spot treat with Burts Bees toner or lavender or something where there is a blemish. I feel like I'm going to stick to this for AM because even though it's supposed to remove makeup, I do still feel a little weird rubbing it on, and I do have that other cleanser that gets makeup off really well. Also it hasn't totally combated my dry skin so I did have to use a moisturizer (which it's hard for me to find a safe one) but if I have to use one for either cleaner anyway then it matters less. But overall I do like this and I will continue to use it.

Now it's been a little longer and *something* is causing problems. Idk if it is this because I have been using this for a few weeks and suddenly I'm clogging again. It could just be me or something else I'm using, but I write everything down and haven't tried anything new. It could just be how I am, I always seem to find something that starts to work and then I clog up again and feel like everything I thought was great turns out to be just 'ok'. So Idk...I'm going to pause using this but not retrun it yet. $%&# This is so frustrating. At least my skin wasn't dry and flakey, but the bumps never go away. So if anything, this didn't stop it either. So I'm a lot less impressed with this now that I know at best it didn't help and at worst it caused clogs. Idk I just can't do so greasy, prob going to return it. :( Sad.

8 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by cjhalfthai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

All the magic you need in one jar. I've tried so many make-up removers but I will always go back to this one. I prefer using a cold cream that baby oil as a cheap option to wipe off makeup. I dab some cream on my face and rub it gently on my eyes for a few seconds, next thing I know all my heavy makeup is gone in an instant. My grandmother has been using this and according to my mom, this was the secret to my granny's youthful glow. Why purchase an expensive product when you can have a cheap drugstore product like this that does great wonders? Will repurchase this over and over again.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/24/2014 3:06:00 PM More reviews by labesitos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I didn't like it. It didn't feel like it left my face clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 6:57:00 AM More reviews by erodrig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ponds Cold Cream
I have used cleansers from the most expensive to the least and when I started to use the Ponds Cold Cream to take my make-up off, found that it not only removed the make-up but my skin felt soft and clean. This product removed all traces of make-up, all. Follow up with your ponds cream day and night and you will never regret it. Experience it yourself and you will testify for yourself to your friends and family.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2014 9:35:00 AM More reviews by ultraVIOLETnikki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is very YMMV. Having used their Makeup Remover with Cucumber cleanser and liking it a lot, I decided to try this since my skin gets drier in the winter, figuring it would be better since it is a richer formula. I love using a makeup removing product first, and then washing my face with my usual cleanser aftewards. I've tried many, from several cleansing oils (my personal favorite) to creams like this. I love how it's so easy to find (in every drugstore) and it is a classic, but it just doesn't work for me. Despite the fact that I wash my face afterwards to remove any residue, every time I've used this I've ended up with clogged pores. Not sure what is in this that causes it (the cucumber cleanser doesn't affect my skin this way) but this is definitely the culprit. I love the thick feel of it though, and even the scent, just can't use it. My skin is particularly sensitive to clogging and blackheads though. Worth a try, and it is a classic for a reason! Just be careful and watch for signs of how it may be affecting your skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by karinp099

I love Ponds Cold Cream. I am 36 years old and have had issues with acne / breakouts ever since I stopped taking birth control pills a few years ago. I have tried everything under the sun to clear my skin - prescriptions, proactiv, drug store products, department store products and "natural" remedies. Some helped a little but I still never felt confident in the results and the breakouts would always return within a few days, sometimes worse than before.

Ponds however, had changed my life. I know that sounds dramatic but its true! If you have acne, it really can put a crimp in your relationships, social life and most important, your self-esteem. Within one week the breakouts stopped and within two weeks, I was seeing supple, clear skin. Its amazing and I will never stop using this product.

Here is how I use the Ponds: PM - scoop some out and massage into skin for about 1-2 minute(s), rinse off with hot water / washcloth.(I use older, softer washcloths for the cold cream removal) and then pat my skin dry. Then, I take a little more and to use as a moisturizer. I have the same routine for the morning, except after washing off the cold cream I use the Ponds BB Cream for daytime SPF. The cold cream really is an all-in-one product and I love it!

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Gailmakeup

I had to use this in a pinch and I broke out in zits and blackheads in one day.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by heifervescent

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Like I always say....fight fire with fire. I tend to be oily. When I put this on at night and in the morning, my skin is less oily. I don't even know why I stray away from this. I try other facial care products, washes, serums, etc....when the only thing I need for cleansing and moisturizing is this jar. I love this stuff. I can't say anything more that hasn't already been said, but I have a suggestion that works great for me. For a moisturizing mask, I slather a THICK layer of this all over my face. Then I heat a damp handtowel in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. I take out the cloth and wrap around my face. This helps the cream to really sink in and plump the skin. I leave it on for about 5 minutes, then I wipe the excess off. It helps to get rid of my blackheads and unclogs pores. There's a reason this has been around for so long.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 11:30:00 AM More reviews by checotah44

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!! I was desperate due to clogged pores and breaking out...I started looking on trusty MA for something new to try and realized this gets lots of positive reviews and I had a jar on hand from prior use as a makeup remover...I took the scarey plunge...thinking mineral oil bad....and used it as a cleanser day and night for three days only but the results are ASTOUNDING! I just rubbed it on my face for little while and night and took off with a warm damp washcloth...lot less mess than splashing all over the sink! And in the morning I just rubbed into skin and rubbed with warm washcloth in shower and rinsed off....I am shocked....in three days, all my clogged pores...and I have large pores that clog overnight I swear....THEY ARE ALMOST ALL GONE....this is a MIRACLE I tell ya! NOTHING has ever done that and I honestly figured I'd be broke out in the morning....crazy. My only conclusion must be that this does such an excellent job removing makeup that it's a mircale in a jar....will keep you updated if this turns south but for now....I"M SOLD! FOREVER! WOW

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2014 10:13:00 AM More reviews by kieferz

For those of you looking for a dupe for the ORIGINAL Ponds cold cream, check out Merle Norman gentle cleansing cream. The ingredients are almost exactly the same as the original Ponds except instead of ceresin it has paraffin (which from what I understand ceresin is mostly paraffin anyways) and the added ingredient of cocoa butter.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No