September 18, 2014 | 1373 users online

Other - MAC - Back-2-MAC Recycling Program

rated 4 of 5 on 5/2/2011 4:01:00 PM More reviews by hersupernature

This is a great idea, because although MAC cannot recycle its virgin plastic into new MU containers, it can do so for other products other companies manufacture. (Way to save the planet!)
The only issues I have with B2M is that some places do not take empty containers, or shadows with depotted pans. Why the inconsistency?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2011 3:54:00 PM More reviews by rsantos2

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great concept! I'm not so much of a MAC person, but over the past 4 years or so I've accumulated 12 pots. (8 eyeshadow pots I depotted and 4 blot powders). It's nothing compared to some of you girls! I exchanged these at a Nordstrom MAC counter. I got 2 free lipsticks to try, that I never would have bought myself! I'm happy I got to try these. I love free items! Back to saving more containers for the next few years...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2011 5:45:00 PM More reviews by myra86

It is actually a great program.
The only reason I gave it 3 stars is that MAC does not bring this program to every country its being marketed.
It does not make sense!
Why a program that is supposed to be beneficial for the environment is not available world wide??!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by briestoll

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I judge a company on two things , not the product , the product is a separate thing , the company : Appreciation of its customers and corporate responsibility.
Now I can only speak for myself but as company I love MAC's VG program and the B2M , both show customer appreciation and corporate responsibility.
Every thing else I feel has been expressed but I do question people's aggravation over the "price" since with any other make up it just becomes trash?!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 11:07:00 PM More reviews by malston81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Free is for ME!!! I really like this idea of turning in your empty containers for a lipgloss, eyeshadow or a lipstick however I wish you didnt have to wait to empty 6! Another thing is I wish it wasnt just limited to a ls, lg or es, if your returning something as big as a foundation bottle you should be able to get that in exchange, esp at a mac store! Also other mu companies should start doing a program like this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 1:33:00 PM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

i use back2mac quite frequently. as soon as i bought an eyeshadow in pot form, i'd quickly depot it & save my empty. same with lipsticks; because i prefer to apply my lipsticks with a brush, the majority of mine have been scooped out of the tube & placed into a flip-top 5g jar. it works perfectly for me & i receive free goodies out of it.

the reason i lowered the score for a few things is this;

packaging quality: first, i'll say that never, ever have i had an issue with returning a pan-less eyeshadow pot. that is absurd & anyone experiencing these issues needs to contact MAC right away & let them know you are being limited. the pan doesn't even get recycled, so why these places are somehow requiring it is beyond me. i did once have an employee question what one of my jars was (it was a chromaline that i split up & swapped off) but other than that, i've never been questioned or refused. but the simple fact that all these counters/stores are having issues is just beyond me. having worked for mac for 6 months, i never heard from anyone that we were to refuse pots with missing pans. so if you are having this issue, i suggest emailing MAC customer service & either printing that email out or accessing it from your phone. they will tell you it is unacceptable for MAC employees to refuse your empties. so the next time you go in, you now have proof from MAC that they are to be accepting your empties, pan or no pan.

pricing; i labeled this as a 3. and it sort of goes in conjunction with my ranting on empties without pans. a pan eyeshadow from a MAC store is $10. a mac potted eyeshadow (and ALL LE eyeshadows) is $14. a mac lipstick is $14. so let's assume you purchased a new line of LE shadows, all in pots. you assume your empty is worth about $4, right? because that's the difference in price between a pan & a pot. you need 6 empties to redeem a free lipstick/lipglass/eyeshadow (depending on where you return them) 6 x $4 =$24. that's $10 more than these items originally cost. now, by NO MEANS am i saying this is a rip-off, because, yeah, MAC doesn't have to offer us free lipstick, etc. i love this program, but when you figure in the cost of it all, MAC is still making money, regardless of if you are receiving a free item or not.

overall rating: i marked as 4. like i said, i am not against this program & i use it often. but there seems to be a lot of hoops people go through when trying to redeem their product. myself, i've probably redeemed 30-40 lipsticks/eyeshadow/lipglass using this & i'm glad my empties are being recycled. if you are having issues bringing these in, or questions, i would suggest calling the MAC you are choosing to bring your empties to. that is the best way to receive the answer of what they do & do not accept, as every MAC seems to have different guidelines. but if you are having an issue with pan-less pots, then definitely get confirmation from MAC CS & bring that in next time you redeem empties.

either way. this is a program i will continue to use. i'm personally happy with it & haven't ever had an issue.

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by yessisbfc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is just amazing. People CAN NOT complain about getting FREE items! They are FREEEE!

I'm happy just to get a lipstick as that's all they apparently give you in the UK. I know there's the whole argument about eyeshadow pots without the pans etc. Well, if you're going to depot your eyeshadows, try and see if they take them. If they don't, try another place. If that fails, buy some empty pans that are used for pressing and just put them in there. They're really cheap, plus it's a huge saving off of a lipstick you'd otherwise (maybe) pay for!

It's really worth it and I love MAC for it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 5:42:00 AM More reviews by Jenstarlast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

B2M is a really great concept and I love it. I wish I had known about it sooner, but I find that the freestanding stores are a bit more interested in educating their customers as I had always just gone to a counter inside stores and never heard of it before :( Other than that I love it and it really makes me want to be more loyal to MAC products because once I have enough empties I get something. It feels great getting something 'extra' for free. Truly a mutually beneficial offer!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2011 9:32:00 PM More reviews by jillirific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Amazing idea in theory and I wish every company had something like this. However, in practice, it is very hit and miss. Their inconsistent rules about whether pan-less empties are acceptable is enough to knock off two lipsticks from the rating. The fact that they don't even recycle the pans (therefore, you don't get two-empties-in-one like MAC seems to think will happen if they accept the plastic without the pans) really adds to the irritation. I have even been told once that I wasn't able to hand in more than 3 sets at a time. What!? I also don't understand why the policy for what you get varies by location (counters are lipstick only; stores are lipstick, lipglass or eyeshadow). Otherwise, great idea. Good way to test out new products you've been wanting to try or to replace a favourite. MAC just needs to get its act together with rules and/or training.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2011 3:29:00 PM More reviews by KTcoleman30

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE B2M! Just took back 30 empty eye shadow pots w/o pans and no questions asked. Picked up 4 of my fav lipsticks and an eye shadow! Woo!