October 24, 2014 | 1874 users online

Primer/ Corrector - DHC - Velvet Skin Coat

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2009 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Brisajama

I love DHC velvet skin coat! I have oily/combination skin, tend to get a zit or two in the summer. I love Dr. Brandt's Pores No More Pore Refiner but it is a bit pricey. I started mixing my Bare Escentuals powder foundation with the DHC Velvet Skin Coat and bingo! Perfect for use in the summer. Stays put, no shine, does not wear off and skin feels great. I recommend this product. Does anyone else do this? How is it working for you?

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2009 2:11:00 AM More reviews by aceh76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I received a sample of this a while back, tried it, fell in love, bought it, and have been using it ever since. I have tried a handful of primers over the years and never repurchased any of them because they were all so so. I use MMU and I was ready to go back to liquid foundation because as I get older, MMU was settling in my fine lines and it wasn't a good look! This has drastically improved that problem. It also helps keep oil at bay, it smooths out my skin, and really helps my pores look smaller. I like the packaging so far, but I haven't gotten to the end of the tube yet...at least I won't have to dig the last little bit out like I did with Smashbox or BE Prime time!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2009 3:01:00 AM More reviews by kaxel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is an under-makeup skin primer. Many users state that they use this alone (with no makeup) and it makes their skin look great. Possibly, these people are 22. However, as a 46-year-old with uneven skin tone, I can say that it does a great job of preparing your skin for foundation. This product comes out of a little tiny pinhole in a tube. Just a little goes a long way. It's almost like a clear, dry gel (hard to describe) and goes on feeling powdery. I don't use this everyday, but I do use it when I have a long day, a big event, am meeting a client or otherwise want to ensure that my makeup stays put. I find that it makes my skin look glowier and brighter. I tend to use it more in the winter, only because in summer I feel like it's too many layers....One tube would probably last you a year or more, unless you're like an on-air newscaster or someone of that ilk. I also like the petite, compact and easily transportable tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by wbraun

I work long days, typically not washing my make-up off until 10:00 at night. Because of this fact I live my life in the constant search for a primer that will keep my make-up looking fresh for hours on end and won't clog my pores. At long last I have found it! This product makes my skin look and feel flawless. I have some acne scarring and this totally smoothes over my little scars and evens me out. I can't say enough about this product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2009 11:29:00 AM More reviews by kiaboo1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the BEST primer out there for us oily girls! I got a sample of DHC Velvet skin coat a long time ago and decided to finally use it last night. When I applied this to my skin, my skin literally felt like velvet. It was so smooth and my liquid foundation went on effortlessly and evenly. It instantly absorbed the oil. There was no oiliness or shine on my face all night long and I live in the hot and steamy South. I even went salsa dancing and my skin was still velvety and shine free! Let me tell you, I applied my makeup at 5:00 p.m. and my face still looked fresh at midnight. Usually my skin looks like I rubbed a jar of vaseline on it by the end of the night, so this is a HUGE deal to me. I didn't have to blot away oil or use powder. I could actually feel my skin tightening throughout the night, so I wouldn't say this product is for dry skin. For reference, I have extremely oily skin in warm weather and combo skin in the winter. I'm also acne prone. I used less than a pea sized amount and got these great results.
I also used a dab on my eyelids and my eyeshadow went on smooth and didn't settle into the creases. My eyelids get oily too, but the eyeshadow stayed on all night. I use inexpensive, drugstore brand eyeshadows that aren't the best in quality and color payoff, but this product made them work better.
I have been so disappointed in other primers (MAC, Makeup Forever) that I have just given up, until now. The fact is, oily skin needs a primer or your makeup is gonna melt off, especially in warm weather. I would use this without wearing foundation just to keep my skin from getting oily. I'm going to buy the full sized tube. I just love when a product actually works. I must say that I am truly impressed with this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 12:09:00 AM More reviews by tawnyinthepink

I LOVE DHC!!!!!! I have been using this off and on for years! I will admit though that during the winter/fall I DO NOT use this product because my skin tends to be a bit dryer. But for spring/summer, when my skin has more moisture this works like a charm!!!!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2009 12:01:00 AM More reviews by shou7444

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have a dry skin, and I don't think it is the right one for dry skin...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 5:55:00 PM More reviews by snake_hips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This stuff is pure magic. I got a sample in my catalogue and I can't even believe how awesome it is. I have combination skin with large pores and some fine lines. I smoothed this on and everything went instantly velvety matte, pores were filled in, lines were filled in, everything was softened and my skin looked AMAZING, and this was BEFORE putting on my foundation. I then went to put my Studio Sculpt over this, and my face looks PERFECT. Not only that, but I never even had to touch up during the day. I will definitely buy a whole tube once I use up this sample. It's awesome. What more can I say?

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2009 5:16:00 PM More reviews by thekeeg

This was my first primer ever, I used it in high school when I got a sample. I only needed to use a tiny bit, those samples would last me about 10 uses which I saved for my extra special occasions. I didn't know what to expect but I was amazed at the difference. I had smooth, soft, matte skin. Even without foundation it looked better. My makeup went on totally flawless, lasted, and the product didn't make me break out despite having quite oily skin. It didn't get cakey or feel particularly heavy either. The primer and an average coverage foundation will just feel like a full coverage foundation. This is one of my favorite products ever! I'm glad I got their sample in the catalog.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2009 4:06:00 PM More reviews by dmcg

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got a sample of this product and was amazed. When I went to purchase it I was even further amazed. The product itself isn't too highly priced but in order for me to get it, here in Canada, I'd have to do mail order and that adds to the price significantly. So... I checked what y'all had to say and found out about the Monistat Chafing Powder-Gel. I went to Walmart and bought it. It works very well. I have had no skin breakouts and I have sensitive skin so that's good. Anyway, I called Monistat because the coupon inside was outdated. I was worried about the product being outdated. The rep checked the lot number and told me all is well. She offered to send out a couple of coupons and said that people can call monthly to get coupons sent out on any of their products. Imagine that! A great product and coupons, too!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No