Aubrey Organics GPB Conditioner

4.2

Not tested on animals

Aqua, cetyl alcohol, alcohol denat. (38b, lavender*), aloe barbadensis leaf juice*, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, milk protein, glycerin, myroxylon pereirae (balsam Peru) oil, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil*, brassica campestris/aleurites fordi copolymer, citrus grandis (grapefruit) extract, salvia officinalis (sage) oil*, glycoprotein, tocopheryl acetate, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) water, equisetum hyemale (horsetail) extract, tussilago farfara (coltsfoot) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, ascorbic acid, glycine soja (soybean) oil, daucus carota sativa (carrot) root extract, beta-carotene. *Organic

I started my organic/natural personal care kick last week, so I purchased this conditioner from vitacost.com for about $8. It's about twice as much as I normally would have paid for a conditioner (non-organic, anyways) although it certainly doesn't break the bank either, so I gave it a 2 out of 5 for price. Packaging was just fine, I rather like the plain packaging; shiny new bottles don't ever sway my mind as to whether I buy anything or not. When I squeezed some product into my hand, it had a dense, heavy cream-like texture and consistency to it, not watery in the least. Since I have hair down to the middle of my back, I used about two quarter-size amounts when I applied it to my hair. It seemed like the product soaked right into my hair as soon as I began applying it, but I continued to work it in with my fingers and wash it out after about 2 minutes. I usually let my hair air-dry, and the two times I've used this so far I have not tried to blow-dry my hair, so I imagine my results would be different had I done so. However, this product makes my hair incredibly soft and smooths all of my fly-aways. It does seem to weigh my hair down a little bit, but I prefer that since I'm not big on volume and it doesn't make my hair feel or look greasy in the least. In my opinion this is probably the best conditioner I have used in a long time; I have color-treated hair that I've been growing out since this May so it definetely moisturizes the areas of my hair where it was drier from my highlights. I will attempt to update once I actually blow-dry my hair to tell if there is a difference. So far I give two thumbs up, definetely a good buy for color-treated, dry, or long hair in particular.
I also forgot to mention: I've read some people's responses on how weird and nasty this stuff smells. It does smell very herbal, definetely NOT like anything I have ever tried before. I do not find the smell offensive in the least; I rather like the natural smell it has, and it certainly isn't overpowering once my hair is dry, although the smell does last the whole day in my hair. I don't mind it at all!

on 6/18/2009 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using this for about a month. At first when I used it it was just mediocre, nothing to rave about. Then I did a little research and found that olive oil and coconut oil are great moisturizers for hair because they can penetrate the hair shaft. So, this morning I decided to add a teaspoon of olive oil to about a tablespoon of the conditioner and 4 drops of tea tree oil(to help with seborrheic dermatitis). Left it on my hair for about 5-7 minutes and then rinsed with warm water. My hair was the softest it has ever been (I can't stop touching it). This is definitely an HG for me. I towel blotted my hair and put some of my hair moisturizer (added some more olive oil) for a leave in. (see my notepad for my hair moisturizer) This bottle will last me a long while since I only condition my hair with this once a week. I highly recommend trying it. :)

Update: My only problem with this product is the extremely strong scent. This scent lingers a lot for days. I smell it in my sleep. I have to mix it with some of my Cantu shea butter to cut down on some of the smell or I get a headache.

on 5/26/2009 11:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

One of my absolute faves. I used this when I had relaxed hair and I still use it now on my natural 4a/b. I usually use it on the shower maybe once a week. I love the all natural ingredients. It makes my hair super soft, strong, replenished (moisture), and tangle free. The bottle last quite a while also - and I really slather it on!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

My hair usually despises protein, so I was very hesitant to try this. I used it after clarifying and was AMAZED when it immediately melted into and softened my hair!!!! I left it in for 10 mins while I finished my shower. Heaven! Soooo soft and moisturized, I couldn't believe it! The absolute BEST protein conditioner I've EVER tried and I'm a huge product junkie!

on 4/25/2009 2:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

Love the price. Love that it is all natural good-for-your-hair-and-scalp organic ingredients. Love how it hydrates and balances my hair after use. My best results come when I follow the directions - using it on DRY hair. My favorite way to actually use this conditioner: When I get home from work, slather it through my hair, place in a low ponytail, sleep overnight in it, (yeah it dries a bit into my hair by the time I wake up) then wash it out in the morning. For the brave at heart that find it hard to deep condition with heat, and are comfortable deep conditioning over night, this is a miracle worker. This stays in my rotation of favorite moisture & protein-based deep conditioners.

UPDATE OCT 2009: STILL A STAPLE!! LOVE IT!!!

on 3/20/2009 12:47:00 AM

I am so impressed with this product - I've never used a conditioner that *melted* into my hair....luxurious, moisturizing, wonderful! I bought this on sale at Whole Foods for .99!!!!

on 3/5/2009 10:19:00 PM

This conditioner is very moisturizing on my fine, shoulder length, layered hair that's slightly dry at times. It has a very strong wheat germ/ balsam scent. Does anyone remember how some of those hair products in the 70s & 80s, like Faberge Organics, or Flex, had that balsam scent? It's like that, only this one isn't synthetic, but made from 100% natural ingredients. It's very smooth and silky and has a pearly sheen to it, and I find that I only need a tiny bit. My hair soaks the protein right up. After rinsing my hair well & blow-drying, my hair is shiny, silky, smooth and full of body.

This product is cruelty free and natural, but it's not vegan due to the milk protein. It's a very nice, high quality conditioner, but beware that this scent is strong, though I personally really like it. This cost about $13 for 16 ounces at vitacost, the 11 ounce bottle you can find for around $10.

Ingredients: Coconut fatty acid cream base, organic aloe vera, wheat germ oil, lactalbumin, organic rosemary oil, organic sage oil, horsetail extract, coltsfood extract, nettle extract, amino acid complex (cysteine, methionine), glycoprotein (from oyster shells), balsam oil, aubrey's preservative (citrus seed extract, vitamin A, C and E).

Edit 11/14- the company has been taken over by the founder's children, who changed the ingredients of this & their other products. Different formula & not a fraction of the quality and effectiveness as the original. Boo!!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is one of my favorite products! Use this with the shampoo for amazingly smooth, strong hair. Love it. Love. It!

I've definitely recommended this to many friends.

on 1/21/2009 7:02:00 AM

When my first time use this, i just "what's that hell!" it's looks shinny and creamy, more like nail polishes than conditioner. Even now, when i apply this on my hair, i still look for the word"conditioner" on the bottle to ensure i didn't take the wrong one. But i really love the effect, my hair just so smooth and pump~~

After all, the smell is totally disaster for me. i think i will try another type in this line next time.

on 1/20/2009 7:14:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love the way this conditioner makes my hair feel, and it's all organic which makes it an even more desirable purchase. It has very thick and creamy texture which caused me to use too much at first, since I have super long hair. But, I've learned that I only need about 2 quarters-sized dollops to cover my hair from midshaft to tip. Despite it being creamy, it actually has a nice slip and leaves my hair soft.

But I cannot stand the cloying smell it has and leaves in my hair for many hours after washing and drying. It actually gives me a headache. I'm so sad. I've finally found a successful product that has good for your hair ingredients and is not harmful to the environment...and it literally stinks for me! People at A.O., please change the frangrance somehow!