July 28, 2014 | 2176 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Matte Anti-Shine [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2009 3:14:00 PM More reviews by ocervantes88

Didn't really think it would work... but i decided to give it a try! and now i love it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2009 5:59:00 PM More reviews by eav5445

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This DOES work!
    I have pretty oily skin that drives me nuts; I have the gross shiny look I would get midway through the day, plus makeup would never stay on me. However ever since I got my first tube of this I use it everyday!
    I've found it works best to use it after moisturizing, but before foundation. You can even mix it with a normal primer if you wish, I do this on special occasions.
    It does have a somewhat weird consistency, it's not meant to be rubbed in all over your face, but lightly smoothed on in places where you need protection.
    It's expensive, but the tube really does last forever. I use less than a pea-size amount everyday, that's all you need!
    If you have oily skin, just go to sephora and try it. It has made such a difference with my makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2009 2:01:00 AM More reviews by Fluffypuff

Let me say that I have such oily skin, it's absolutely disgusting. I can wash my face in the morning and then apply makeup, and I'll have a fully oily face before I leave the house.

I've tried a great variety of oil-control products, and this one is the best so far. I know that nothing will completely get rid of my oil, but this does a fair job. I can go almost 10 hours without looking overly greasy (I don't mind a little bit of oil, it gives me a glow).

I would not recommend putting this on with your fingers - I tried it and it dries very quickly, and if you don't put it on the right way, you end up getting all these eraser-like bits on your face, which is kind of nasty. I actually put it all over my face with a foundation brush, which I find is more effective. Sometimes if it dries, it leaves some whitish marks, but once I put foundation over it, I can't see the white anymore.

I'm not going to lie - it's an expensive product and the tube is fairly small, and I have to use quite a bit to get results. However, it works better than I ever expected, and that's why it's so great.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/7/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by heatherly81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have an oily t-zone and bought this stuff to keep me from getting so shiny at work in the afternoon. I was not terribly impressed with it's blotting abilities.. in fact I find it didn't do much at all. Works for the first hour or so but I went to check on how it was working and noticed I was getting shiny already. I was able to return the product if I found I didn't like it and I ended up doing just that. I did try several different application methods (small amount well blended, even smaller amount well blended.. then thought maybe it was too little and used more) and found no difference other than a heavy mask-like feel. Not a fan and won't buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Meljolie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is amazing. I usually use powders to control oiliness but I have never tried using a lotion or cream type product. What sucks about powder mattifyers for me is that it seems to "melt" off my face and I would have to reapply it constantly. I really don't like that, especially when I go to school still. At first, I found the price tag ridiculous but my friend convinced me to try it out because she is an absolute Smashbox addict. Anyways, here goes:

TEXTURE: I like the consistancy. It feels like a smooth, creamy gel and dries to an almost velvety, silky finish. I like how it feels light.

APPLICATION: I use my fingers to apply this stuff. It works efficiently. I haven't tried using a brush or sponge because fingers just gets it done good. I don't use much of this. I just squeeze a little onto my fingers, dot it onto my forehead, nose, chin and cheeks. Then I blend blend blend!

Throughout the day, I don't need to blot or reapply powder or anything! This is wonderful. I don't even need to worry about whether or not my forehead looks like an oil slick. I don't wear foundation to school but I just put this on after I let my moisturizer absorbs into my skin. Then I powder Maybelline's "dream matte powder" on top to give sheer coverage. I really really do like this product! : D

PACKAGING: Love it! Easy, convenient and very hygenic. The amount given is decent. I'm guessing it would last me a very long time. So well worth the money.

PRICE: This was about $36 with tax and that's super expensive for an oil controlling product, IMO. However, with its wonderful (WONDERFUL!) results, it's well worth it. I prefer using this to MAC's Blot Powder.

This is one of my new fave products. One of my can't live without makeup products!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/6/2009 2:54:00 PM More reviews by jjkrh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

On my second tube of this. It is very thick but it does mattify pretty well. I will say that my oily skin will never be mattified fully, but this does a good job. Just remember that a little bit goes a long way. When I first started using this, I had too much and my nose was white and filmy. My makeup wouldn't even go on. I would say use a light hand and pat it in. Seems to work best for me like that.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/19/2009 5:25:00 PM More reviews by manduhzsecret

I like how this product instantly mattifys my tzone (cause that's the only area I put it on). Through out the day I still get oily and shiny there but its less than it was before. Always have blot papers on hand!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Carrol

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I dug this out of my makeup drawer this morning. I'm not sure why it got stuffed to the back, because this product does work well for my super oily skin. It's impossible for me to think that ANY product will cut my oilies all day, but this product does it's best and succeeds in my my books. On a good skin day, I can use this alone with a little concealer. On other days, it serves as a very good base for my Lumiere mineral makeup. I also love the packaging - the little tube is very hygenic and makes it easy to pop into your purse. Like I said, I think us super oily types need to realize we will never be shine free. However, Smashbox Anti-Shine is a great product for our arsenal.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2009 4:59:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What it Claims:
    "A Smashbox innovation, ANTI-SHINE has revolutionized the way people with oily skin wear makeup. Designed to keep skin matte under hot studio lights, this gel-to-powder formula is the ultimate in oil control with its light formulation and oil-absorbing properties. Dab on oily areas, over or under makeup."

Claims - True or False?
    1) Ultimate in oil control: False.
    2) Lightweight formula: True (mostly).

Packaging:
    A tube package with a twist off cap. Not the most brilliant packaging, but it works. Simple design, clear plastic allows you to see its contents, and is portable. Includes the ingredients, so it's great if you need to know what is and is not included.

Smell:
    A very faint scent, both pleasant and clean. Not so strong as to make you uncomfortable, but strong enough to smell it while applying. I really like the scent, almost a fruity clean aroma to it.

Consistency:
    I would not call this a gel-to-powder consistency. More like paste-to-powder. Quite thick compared to their other primers designed to be mattifying, but smooths out into a thin layer on the skin. I find that it can be sticky for a few moments, so I doubt it would be a good product to add OVER makeup.

Ease of Use:
    Easy enough to use. Be sure that hands are clean (hand sanitizer works fine) and pat onto skin, blend. Easy to dispense, easy enough to blend, but dries quickly so a fast hand is needed.

Bang for your Buck:
    If used only on one of two areas on the face a few times a day, it should last at least 4-5 months. I've owned my tube for SO long because I never use it, so I'd say it's a good deal.
    For 1 fluid oz, it will easily last a good long while, and is cheaper than their other primers.

Final Consensus:
    I would say this product is best suited when worn alone, as it is not an all-over face primer. I no longer use it, although I may try it again. It may cause me to break out, although I am unsure of this. Would I repurchase? Probably not, at least not at this point. *EDIT: I am pretty sure this breaks me out, especially along my nose.*

Overall Rating: 3/5
    Price: 3/5
    Packaging Quality: 2/5
    Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/31/2009 8:33:00 PM More reviews by missannabelle

This supposed *revolutionary* product of Smashbox is really just milk of magnesia with thickeners, preservatives, water binding agents and parabens added to it, no bells and whistles, but essentially an effective oil control product. Those of you who find Philips milk of magnesia a bit too tricky to apply, the Smashbox version will be alot easier due to it's lotion-gel like texture. I don't use this stuff on my whole face, as it just creates a mask-like appearance. But when dabbed and blended *thoroughly* on my very oily areas (folds and tip of nose, between eyebrows, center of forehead, cupid's bow.. etc), it makes a world of difference and renders the need of blotting throughout the day virtually obsolete.

Yes this is rather expensive for a simple oil control product, yet I won't mind shelling out the money due to its convenient packaging and effectiveness; a small tube will also go a long way for me, as you really don't need to and shouldn't pile this product on. When compared with Clinique's Pore Instant Minimizer, Clinique's version is slightly easier to blend, feels silkier and more breathable on skin, and is cheaper by a almost 10 dollars. But while Clinique's version is also a very good oil controller, I do find the Anti Shine just a bit more effective; with Clinique's version you might have to reapply it on top of your makeup to absorb excess oil throughout the day. Though with Anti Shine, it is quite difficult to reapply on top of your makeup, you really won't have the need for it.