October 1, 2014 | 1858 users online

Pressed Powders - Chanel - Poudre Universelle Compacte

rated 2 of 5 on 10/2/2010 4:59:00 PM More reviews by dcappelut

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

terrible at controlling oil!

although it is good on my acne prone skin, it does nothing for my oily skin.

I love the packaging just because it is chanel :)
sleek, elegant, something that looks pretty in your make up bag.
but other than that, powder puff is terrible! i use my own brush to apply this powder.

overall, this is nothing but a pretty box to me.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2010 12:59:00 PM More reviews by Scherery

I bought this spur of the moment along with my chanel vitalumiere foundation and their illuminating concealer. This is a great powder to go along with these. You can wear it alone, with concealer, or with your foundation and you'll still have a beautiful satin finish. It's a wonderful product. Worth the price.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by constantonian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

By far my favorite powder compact to date. Of course, the packaging is beautiful and elegant. It's like the LBD of purse makeup or in a collection in general. I was concerned that Chanel wouldn't have a color that would match my golden/slightly yellow undertoned Asian skin, but Natural matched me perfectly. The coverage is sheer yet buildable for a natural finish. I use it for touch ups during the day and to keep the oilies at bay. No matter how many times I touch up or how much I apply, it doesn't become cakey.
The only shortcoming would be the puff that came with it. However, I'm not disappointed anymore by these cheap little sponges and puffs that even the high end make up lines include in their products. I have seen the light and now keep a retractable kabuki (Ecotools, love) in my mini on the go make up bag. I don't think I'll ever go back to those sponge applicators. Yes, cumbersome, but oh so worth it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 12:32:00 AM More reviews by ditzygrrrl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Pros:
- Comes with a cute velvet pouch
- Chic black compact with Chanel logo on top
- Very finely milled powder
- Fits my skintone very well (I'm NC30 and I use 30 Naturel ; Translucent 2)
- Feels like I put NOTHING on my face
Cons:
- The plastic material the compact is made of is not as great as I thought it SHOULD be.
- Compact is prone to fingerprints and can get greasy and SLIPPERY! I bought this from the Chanel counter and opened it up at work a few hours later to powder my face and the compact slipped right out of my hand which leads to my next con...
- The rim around the powder almost popped off the first time I dropped it. I would've been very very mad if it broke completely but thankfully I pushed it back in and it's like-new again
- Compact attracts lint
- Expensive!! $46 at Bloomingdale's
- Doesn't control oil any better than my MSF does

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 6:32:00 PM More reviews by RoliiloR

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to try this powder for a while, but could not justify the price. My bf was heading back to Canada from Vegas and bought it for me for $40 US. After trying MAC mineral pressed powder and MAC studio fix, this is my HG. It honestly does not compare to anything I've ever used before. I didn't even take any lippies off for price, because you get what pay for. It goes on a little light, but after a few minutes my skin looks so matte, smooth, just perfect.

Take a chance and purchase it, any Chanel counter will take it back if you don't like it. If you are unsure, ask first.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros:

+ Translucent
+ Doesn't cake up or settle into pores; great for touchups & setting foundation
+ Gives a natural look
+ Good color selection (though the color is very light since the powder is translucent)
+ Compact design is very attractive

Cons:

- Doesn't control oil well
- Hard to keep the puff inside on top of the plastic cover
- Puff itself isn't too great
- Mirror only opens up to 90 degrees
- Expensive
- Contains talc

I've been using this powder with my Chanel Mat Lumiere fluid foundation I've been trying out. While I like the powder itself, I don't see the justification in paying $44 for something that doesn't perform any better than MAC Blot Powder (which is $22). I also didn't expect such a luxury product to contain talc, especially since MAC Blot Powder contains no talc and is half the price. The colors are slightly better than MAC because they have more yellow in them IMO, but considering they're both translucent powders, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I wanted to love this powder, but it isn't very remarkable. I'll give it a little longer and try it with a different foundation, but I don't think it'll perform any better. I think if you have normal to combo skin, it would be a good product to try out. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 6:43:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

UPDATE: I've had this for a while now and I never reach for it. It just doesn't do anything any more. It doesn't mattify. Expensive rubbish, reduced to 1 lippy for the nice packaging. (contrary to the Mat Lumiere foundation which is wonderful). **** This is a good powder, but Iím not convinced itís worth the price (around 35 euros). For that price it really has to be more than just "good".
First, the compact. Indeed it is very chic and has a large mirror, but unfortunately the lid only opens 90 degrees so itís less than functional. The ďpuffĒ is laughable, really, itís so bad. I apply the powder with a big fluffy brush though a kabuki would be better (I donít have my kabuki at the moment, long story...).
So the powder itself. I was looking for something light, translucent mainly for matifying my t-zone during the day Ė although since Iíve run out of loose powder Iím temporarily using this to set my foundation too (Chanel Mat Lumiere). It certainly does that job. On my skin - ML in 20 Clair during the winter, now using it mixed with a tad of bronzing gel - this powder in shade Translucent 02 is virtually sheer, unless applied excessively. There is no "powdery" finish, just a nice, natural matte look. It doesnít cake on reapplication.
Any cons? Apart from the ridiculous price, the powder is sort of difficult to get onto the brush Ė although itís finely milled I have to work a little more than usual to get enough onto the brush, and Iím a bit worried that Iíll use it up quickly. But maybe that is why it looks natural and non-cakey... The colour could be even more yellow-toned for me, and it could have a tad more coverage, but these are moot points since I only use this for matifying during the day and its so sheer. The second "con" is that it doesnít control oil very well at all. Still, I prefer having to pat on powder regularly to the cakey, unnatural look.
So, all in all, would I buy this again? Well, probably not, provided I find something better and/or cheaper. For example I used, and liked, powders from Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and Giorgio Armani in the past...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugh... just not what I expected.
Pros:
- Super classy packaging
- BIG mirror
- really mattifies for 8 hours (NC skin) and causes no blackheads
Cons:
- Not so finely milled (comparing to Lancome's powders for example). Overall, it's good, but hey it's Chanel, I expected more for that money!
- Translucent 2 is not really translucent. Maybe it's just not good over Bobbi's foundation((
- awful, thin, cheap looking puff, which ruins all the impression and always falls out of the box!

4 lippies mostly for packaging. For me it's just a classy looking mirror in the cutest box ever. Won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 6:01:00 AM More reviews by llbeanpole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG and I've gone through countless of these compacts. It is one of the finest powders I've used and it keeps the complexion smooth, matte and air-brushed. It also keeps makeup from migrating around. The compact is wonderful - classic, well-constructed, extremely hardy with no scratches, loose or broken parts despite that fact that I carry it around with me all the time and have dropped it several times. The other pressed powders I've used have never survived my constant "abuse".

The only downside is that it might contain some fragrance and silicone and my sensitive skin itches a little when I use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 3:01:00 AM More reviews by blooicee

HG powder. Even if the foundation I'm using doesn't match my face perfectly, this powder will help it settle and match my skintone (I'm NC20, and use this powder in translucent 1 clair 20). It also has pretty good oil control, and won't accentuate any dryness my face might have. However, it does look powdery when first applied (I use a kabuki brush to apply it), so I always use a spray after I'm done applying it. After the spray, my skin looks pretty glowy and the powdery look is completely gone. Would definitely repurchase.