April 19, 2014 | 1803 users online

Pressed Powders - Chanel - Poudre Universelle Compacte

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2010 7:10:00 PM More reviews by c2yoshi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros:

+ Translucent
+ Doesn't cake up or settle into pores; great for touchups & setting foundation
+ Gives a natural look
+ Good color selection (though the color is very light since the powder is translucent)
+ Compact design is very attractive

Cons:

- Doesn't control oil well
- Hard to keep the puff inside on top of the plastic cover
- Puff itself isn't too great
- Mirror only opens up to 90 degrees
- Expensive
- Contains talc

I've been using this powder with my Chanel Mat Lumiere fluid foundation I've been trying out. While I like the powder itself, I don't see the justification in paying $44 for something that doesn't perform any better than MAC Blot Powder (which is $22). I also didn't expect such a luxury product to contain talc, especially since MAC Blot Powder contains no talc and is half the price. The colors are slightly better than MAC because they have more yellow in them IMO, but considering they're both translucent powders, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I wanted to love this powder, but it isn't very remarkable. I'll give it a little longer and try it with a different foundation, but I don't think it'll perform any better. I think if you have normal to combo skin, it would be a good product to try out. continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2010 6:43:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

UPDATE: I've had this for a while now and I never reach for it. It just doesn't do anything any more. It doesn't mattify. Expensive rubbish, reduced to 1 lippy for the nice packaging. (contrary to the Mat Lumiere foundation which is wonderful). **** This is a good powder, but Iím not convinced itís worth the price (around 35 euros). For that price it really has to be more than just "good".
First, the compact. Indeed it is very chic and has a large mirror, but unfortunately the lid only opens 90 degrees so itís less than functional. The ďpuffĒ is laughable, really, itís so bad. I apply the powder with a big fluffy brush though a kabuki would be better (I donít have my kabuki at the moment, long story...).
So the powder itself. I was looking for something light, translucent mainly for matifying my t-zone during the day Ė although since Iíve run out of loose powder Iím temporarily using this to set my foundation too (Chanel Mat Lumiere). It certainly does that job. On my skin - ML in 20 Clair during the winter, now using it mixed with a tad of bronzing gel - this powder in shade Translucent 02 is virtually sheer, unless applied excessively. There is no "powdery" finish, just a nice, natural matte look. It doesnít cake on reapplication.
Any cons? Apart from the ridiculous price, the powder is sort of difficult to get onto the brush Ė although itís finely milled I have to work a little more than usual to get enough onto the brush, and Iím a bit worried that Iíll use it up quickly. But maybe that is why it looks natural and non-cakey... The colour could be even more yellow-toned for me, and it could have a tad more coverage, but these are moot points since I only use this for matifying during the day and its so sheer. The second "con" is that it doesnít control oil very well at all. Still, I prefer having to pat on powder regularly to the cakey, unnatural look.
So, all in all, would I buy this again? Well, probably not, provided I find something better and/or cheaper. For example I used, and liked, powders from Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and Giorgio Armani in the past...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2010 1:36:00 PM More reviews by chaosgreeneyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ugh... just not what I expected.
Pros:
- Super classy packaging
- BIG mirror
- really mattifies for 8 hours (NC skin) and causes no blackheads
Cons:
- Not so finely milled (comparing to Lancome's powders for example). Overall, it's good, but hey it's Chanel, I expected more for that money!
- Translucent 2 is not really translucent. Maybe it's just not good over Bobbi's foundation((
- awful, thin, cheap looking puff, which ruins all the impression and always falls out of the box!

4 lippies mostly for packaging. For me it's just a classy looking mirror in the cutest box ever. Won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2010 6:01:00 AM More reviews by llbeanpole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my HG and I've gone through countless of these compacts. It is one of the finest powders I've used and it keeps the complexion smooth, matte and air-brushed. It also keeps makeup from migrating around. The compact is wonderful - classic, well-constructed, extremely hardy with no scratches, loose or broken parts despite that fact that I carry it around with me all the time and have dropped it several times. The other pressed powders I've used have never survived my constant "abuse".

The only downside is that it might contain some fragrance and silicone and my sensitive skin itches a little when I use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 3:01:00 AM More reviews by blooicee

HG powder. Even if the foundation I'm using doesn't match my face perfectly, this powder will help it settle and match my skintone (I'm NC20, and use this powder in translucent 1 clair 20). It also has pretty good oil control, and won't accentuate any dryness my face might have. However, it does look powdery when first applied (I use a kabuki brush to apply it), so I always use a spray after I'm done applying it. After the spray, my skin looks pretty glowy and the powdery look is completely gone. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2010 6:08:00 AM More reviews by alicebt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

My HG compact powder. Gives you a natural finish (not "powdery") and allows you a number of touch-ups without ever becoming cakey.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2010 2:32:00 PM More reviews by c0lap1nada

Pretty decent for oil-control but I'm pretty darn oily so it doesn't work the best. You can cake this stuff on without it looking like a cake-face. I have this in no. 55 peche and it's a little too dark, so this is a go-to in the summer only. Another minus is that the puff included is pretty disappointing.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by jenlieu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the best compact I have as a cover powder. Never cakey, not drying, very fine coverage. I love it. I have it in the 30 Natural Translucent 2. Expensive but tres chic in my bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 5:38:00 PM More reviews by bcoolnchil

Firstly, the packaging is sleek and compact, as a compact should be (Diorskin forever take note!). I like that it's simple and doesn't have bulky multiple layers or anything, just a classy looking compact. Inside, the powder is extremely finely milled. At first, I saw the bits of sparkle and felt turned off thinking, "I want powder to make me look less shiny" but when I tried it, I looked perfectly matte. However, this is not the matte that makes the face look flat and calls out for highlighting, the subtle unnoticeable sparkle keeps my nose matte yet dimensional and the powder lays completely flat on the skin: no powdery finish or need to spray with Evian/fix plus. It is the opposite of that horrible MAC studio fix powder, heavy, obviously makeup-ey, cakey, flat; a little tap of the sponge keeps oil at bay for a long time (I get greasy quickly and used to have to touch up after just an hour from when I put on my makeup) which is nice since MAC's powder had my touching up every five seconds leading to thick makeup and clogged pores. Awesome.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2010 10:08:00 PM More reviews by ebijou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one great powder. Every powder I have tried so far (name it... every one of them!) haven't gave me a matte look all day long. I always got oily T zone aroung mid-day, and in the afternoon too. With Chanel's powder, my skin was matte (but not cakey!) and fresh all day long. I chose a darker color then I would have picked normally, because I was looking for a powder with very little coverage, just not transparent. I have translucent 2 (I am MAC NC20) and the color is a perfect match. I really like this powder and strongly suggest it for oily-combo skins.