September 16, 2014 | 1429 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Mega Shine Top Coat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by cjx3pooh

I purchased this after emilynoel83 on Youtube talked about this a few years ago. It does well in keeping the polishes from chipping, but I noticed that after a week's time the surface of the polish looks cracked, not in a good way like the OPI Shatter or China Glaze Crackle.
I have not experienced this with any other top coat, and I am not sure why it would do that... But do beware. For those who change up their polish every few days it wouldn't be a problem, but I am very lazy and only remove my nail polish after a month or two (sometimes not even that) to repaint.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2011 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Annie225

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

1) My Nails: I have strong nails and I get 3-4 days out of a manicure before it chips, and I only use inexpensive polishes (dollar store finds).
2) Packaging: I'm on my first bottle of top coat and I'm not crazy about the bottle design. The bottle being flat on one side and the silver-like coating that they've applied are not practical.
3) The Consistency: Not thin and not thick.
4) The Application on Dry Polish: One coat was easy to apply and it dries within a minute or so. No shrinking of polish was noticed.
5) Lasting Power: Minor chipping has occurred on some nails on the sixth day. Given this is the sixth day of wear, I'm ready to change my color, but I'm curious to see how much longer I can wear this manicure before it looks shameful.
6) Shine: There might be a little bit of hype here, as I didn't need to wear sunglasses while admiring my nails. ;)
7) Given my first manicure with Mega Shine I would recommend this top coat for it's lasting power. Shine ability is comparable to other top coats, in my opinion.
8) 8th Day Update: Two of my left hand nails have definite chips in the polish. My right hand nails are still looking very good even with the slightest of chips at the tips - nothing to be embarrassed about.
9) Eight days of wear is pretty good, and if they claim you can get ten out it, it may be possible if you apply a second coat a few days into the manicure. Anyway, the box says, "reapply as necessary", so I'll give this method a try next time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2011 4:37:00 PM More reviews by jootje

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow, when I wear this topcoat my manicure stays on perfectly for FOREVER! It's been a week and it has not chipped anywhere. It looks exactly the same as when I just put it on. I've used it with several previously not exceptionally longlasting polishes underneath and everytime it stays on perfectly, so I'm sure it's the topcoat. Without this topcoat I can get a day or 3 out of my manicure without chipping, so this more than doubles the longevity. I end up changing my manicure every week because I am bored of the color. Not because of chipping.
It also does add a nice shine (that I get complimented on), but the main reason I use it is because of the lasting power.
What is really important though, is that you have to apply a THICK layer. It says this on the back of the bottle, and it is true. I've noticed that if I apply a thin layer it will crack, like some other reviewers have mentioned. I can see that the topcoat has 'shrunk' and that causes cracking. But if I apply a generous layer, it will not crack at all! Even with a thick layer it dries as fast as regular polish. When applied in a thick layer, my manicure stays -perfect- for over a week.
This stuff is amazing, I will never go without it anymore.
I bought this while studying in the US and now that I'm back in my home country (netherlands) I have to purchase it online, but it's so worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2011 7:13:00 PM More reviews by lovejkras

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this topcoat because I wanted an alternative to the toxic carcinogenic cult-favorite topcoat, Seche Vite. I heard all over that this was supposedly a dupe but without all the harmful chemicals. I can tell you it's not a dupe...it does dry fast, but no where near Seche Vite fast where you slap it on top of wet polish and it dries almost instantly.

The "Mega Shine" claim of this polish is accurate...I don't get this same type of glossy finish with other top coats. Lasting power here is average...I never have a manicure for longer than about 3 days anyway.

The problem here is the packaging. You think, "ooh, pretty reflective mirror-bottle!" But no, this is a pain in the ass. After using this a few times, the silver paint on the outside of the bottle begins to mix in with the topcoat from the twisting motion of screwing/unscrewing it to open. This is pretty cool if you want a naturally silvery sparkled topcoat, but I typically don't want this look unintentionally. Additionally, it gets a bit thick toward the end and the brush doesn't seem to be long enough, so I end up tilting the bottle horizontally to get the product out.

Would I purchase this again? I'm going to try out a few more topcoats, but I wouldn't be opposed to going back to this one. If they changed the packaging, it would be a HG for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2011 8:33:00 AM More reviews by pulitzer

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Breaking news: My manicure has lasted 10 days without chipping! Haha sorry for the sensationalism, but this has never happened to me before. I'm surprised at the negative reviews and I can think of a possible reason why?

On my first nail that I used this, I sort of wanted to 'paint' it on like a coat of nail polish (over my 2 completely dry coats of color polish). The result was a streaky finish - but not wanting to do my nail over again I just let it be. Then I noticed that the back of the bottle says you have to apply a thick coat so on my next nail I glooped it on..not major gloop but sort of set the brush on my nail without wiping off too much excess polish in the bottle. (I hope this is making sense). I did the same for the rest of my nails and waiting time for my nails to completely dry was relatively long, but the end was nine perfectly shiny manicured nails.

The nail that didn't receive high standard top-coating chipped earlier than the rest at less than a week. The rest of my manicure survived some extreme beach/ocean sport recreation, 10 days of showers and pretty much anything else that my manicure normally would not have lasted under.

One more note: I think applying this on COMPLETELY dry nail polish is key to its effectiveness as well. This is not a dupe for Seche Vite and is not supposed to dry your nail polish (or itself) faster than the average polish.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by teefeey

i have to say, this is the worst top coat i have ever used
not only does it create dents and smudge all your nail polish, it seems to make everything shrink on your nail to the point where it begins to flake off at the sides
never buy this product, you'd be better off with a cheap dollar store nail polish

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2011 6:48:00 PM More reviews by sundaypancakes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd give a lower rating but this product does have some good qualities. It dries quickly and does not leave marks or dents. I actually have zero complaints except for just one major thing. It chips in GIGANTIC pieces. When used on some nail polish, i dont get any noticeable chipping in a week. But on most nail polish, it chips in a matter of a day or two. It seems like the topcoat is able to bond and then lift up with the polish beneath, thus creating major chipping. Once my whole nail chipped off and it was horribly embarrassing. For the shine and drying abilities, this top coat is still not worth the buy!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2011 4:22:00 PM More reviews by EozS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I want to like this top coat but it just doesn't work for me. It dries quickly and shines beautifully, but the shrinkage is very noticeable around the tips (even if I wrap them) and cuticles, even if the nail polish underneath is pretty dry. I wouldn't recommend this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2011 6:08:00 AM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This top coat is ok. I'm using seche vite before this and i'll compare this with seche.

This is not as quick dry as seche, it takes maybe 5 minutes for the surface to dry so its a little inconvenient as you have to wait a while before doing anything.

This is super shiny but you need to apply a thick layer as instructed on the bottle. The consistency is thinner than seche, apply maybe two layers will look more glossy and shiny. One thin coat looks shiny but not glossy. Seche is a thick consistency, so one coat is enough to create a really shiny and glossy appearance. I feel with Seche, my polish seem to chip faster than Mega shine.

I really liked the brush. Its flat and wide, really easy to use. Seche's brush is just a "normal" round brush, which i really hated as because Seche is a thicker consistency, i feel a flat brush would be easiler to work with.

I really hated SH's bottle, its a flatter bottle which makes it wobbly when i place it on my bed. I keep worrying it'll topple over and spill. I also hated that the bottle is opaque, i cannot tell if the brush is dipping into the liquid or not and many times i realised i when i brush my nails that i did not get enough polish. Really annoying.

I can't say much about lasting power of this as nothing lasts on my nails, my nails chip the next day or at the most two days after i apply a new polish. But I do think that Seche chip faster compared to Mega Shine. I can definitely say that this is better than Opi's top coat, the shine just don't compare nor last. Essie's good to go is also a good option.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by loriyu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have been a faithful user of seche vite for years, but was frustrated by how quickly it chipped. this review will mostly be a comparison of the 2 products. i have the newer packaging of the mega shine - mirror shine.

1. drying time: seche vite > mega shine. nothing beats how quickly the seche vite top coat dries. the mega shine does take just a bit longer, but much faster than normal nail polish on its own.

2. shine: seche vite > mega shine. seche vite gives such a glossy finish...i think it is one of its highest qualities. the mega shine is pretty dull and not as smooth as the seche vite. the whole "mirror shine" aspect is definitely lacking.

3. texture: mega shine > seche vite. the mega shine is much thinner in terms of consistency, which makes it much easier to spread over the nail.

4. scent: mega shine > seche vite. i have no idea why the seche vite smells so strong. the mega shine doesnt smell good by any means, but it is typical for nail polish and not so severely offensive as seche vite.

5. packaging: mega shine > seche vite. i LOVE the wide, flat brush that the mega shine comes with. i can coat my entire nail w/2 swipes.

6. price: mega shine = seche vite. i'm a little confused here since seche vite is supposed to be "high end" and sally hansen drugstore, but they are both $9 wherever i go. sure, there are always coupons for sally hansen in the sunday paper, but ulta also has sales on seche vite from time to time. neither top coat has the clear advantage here.

7. durability: mega shine >>> seche vite. when i use seche vite, my polish chips probably starting the 3rd day...with weird shrinkage towards the tips of my nails on the first day. i have had the mega shine last on my nails for a full week without ANY chipping (and i am a notorious cuticle picker). i don't know about 10 days, but i have has my polish last a full week.

i know that the seche vite gets incredibly thick and goopy once it passes the halfway mark, but i don't know if this is true of the sally hansen just yet. i've used this for about 5-6 manicures so far, but i'm not at the halfway point. it's something to consider cuz previous reviewers have mentioned it.

bottom line: mega shine > seche vite.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No