July 30, 2014 | 2043 users online

Treatments (Face) - Elizabeth Arden - Eight Hour Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2012 6:09:00 AM More reviews by ero2t

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is for the new FRAGRANCE FREE version. I've used the original version for years and just love it, it's great for everything: burns, dry skin, sunburn, chapped lips, intensive moisturising, cuticles...the list goes on. Thought I'd treat myself to the new fragrance free version this time around. Well. Not impressed. It's a thinner consistency, not as rich feeling and just doesn't do the job. After applying to my lips last night, I've woken up to chapped lips! Huh?! How does that work?! It feels just like the Vaseline you get in the little tins and at 25 GBP a pop I'm not impressed. I think I threw the receipt away as well so can't take it back as a complaint. I'm going to double check the ingredients so if there is something else they've left out as well as the fragrance. I used to quite like the fragrance actually as it smelt medicinal and old-fashioned. Grr.

EDIT: Just rummaged through the bin (gross) to find the receipt and packaging so I can take it back and try and exchange for the original. Here are the ingredients for the FF version...

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Mineral Oil, Acacia Decurrens extract, Dipteryx Odorata Bean extract, Vanillin, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, BHT, Salicylic Acid, Ricinus Communis, Vegetable Oil, Corn Oil, Benzyl Alcohol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492)

So, a completely different product really. Recommend avoiding if you like the original.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2012 3:49:00 AM More reviews by runitsjess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Found it on sale after reading about it from Lisa Eldridge, so I took a chance on it.

For the price, there's nothing fancy or unique about the packaging.

When I used it, it smelled really bad and was really oily and greasy. I have Eucerin and Vaseline products that I can just use to the same effect that don't smell as awful and are cheaper. I ended up returning it the same day.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 3:36:00 AM More reviews by celegia

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I read tons of fashion magazine from the US, UK, France, Japan (yes, but I only look at the images). There is always the same advice: Eight Hour is the wonder cream that you can use on every inch of your skin. (even if it contains parabens...)
So I overcame my rejection of parabens and I decided to buy it.
Actually, in Italy this cream is more difficult to find than a Japanese who doesn't love Prada, but after a long research I found it.
After one week of use I can say that it's smelly, sticky and oily but it is really effective.
The first night I warmed it in my hands then I splatted it everywhere: face, lips, elbows, knees and heels. Gross! I disgusted myself (and sadly my husband too), but the morning after my face glowed and my body was supersoft.
And I slept just four or five hours!
Nothing like that happened when I use La Mer or Sisley or La Prairie.
Of course, its effect depends on the condition of your skin, but if you have normal/dry skin without any problem like me, you'll be amazed by Eight Hour!
UPDATE 12/10: WARNING! After two weeks, I have noticed some pimples on my cheeks and around my lips.
So please, be careful!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:17:00 PM More reviews by Ally112

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been purchasing Elizabeth Arden's 8 Hour Cream for about 7-8 years and it really is worth the price, I started using this product when I was 16 and working in a department store, a friend who was working oppisite on the Arden counter suggested I use it on my dry lips and face during winter one day and I've never looked back!
I like to use it as a moisturizer and for chapped lips and it looks fantastic as a lip gloss!

Put it on your Xmas list for sure!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2012 10:28:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been using Eight Hour Cream since way back when it came in a pink metal tube. I always have a tube of this on hand for things like chapped lips, applying to my hands, cuticles and nails overnight when they're looking like they need a little extra TLC. I even used to smooth it through the ends of my hair way back before there were better products for this sort of thing. It's a great all purpose product and while some say it's just gussied up Vaseline, I prefer not to agree (I could be wrong but what the heck - I'm the one buying the stuff). While it's not the greatest foot cream in the world, in a pinch, it's perfectly fine for slathering on my feet at night and putting on a pair of socks. I even like the slightly herbal/medicinal smell. When we take quick weekend trips away, it is great to toss in to my bag and for a short time, it means I can pack a whole lot less "stuff" because it's multi-purpose.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/12/2012 1:22:00 PM More reviews by junelove

I purchased this product about 3 months ago and since then have found so many different uses for it. As most people have already mentioned its really great for dry hands/feet, chapped lips, and even eczema. Even though it is expensive, it lasts a long time IF you are using it the way it should be used- and that is sparingly. It is not as effective is you are putting more product than you need to with the thought that the more the better/faster it will heal up you dry skin. This is definitely not true, and a little bit of product goes a long way. The only reason I rated it 4/5 is because it is quite oily and on some occasions I have broken out- but only a smalllll amount.
**TIP: If you are into the natural look- I like to apply foundation, and then put some blush on my cheek bones, and then add a very small amount onto my finger and gently dab it on top of where I've already applied my blush. I think it gives a really great 'dewy' natural look and keeps your face looking clean!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by xxhna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a no frills ointment. I use it for a variety of things on all parts of my body. Dry chapped hands, cracked lips, eczema patches, dry elbows, irritated skin (the only thing that will not irritate it but still protect it while keeping it moisturized.)

I love this stuff. You can really do whatever you want with it. I recently used this on a burn mark (from curling iron) and it soothed my skin so much! I left a pretty thick and just slept. Next morning my face didn't hurt anymore!

Truly an all around beauty product for maintenance and care. Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2012 2:56:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

I've been hearing about this product so much over the years, i just had to get it!

When someone described it as vaseline on steroids, they were quite right. I've had it for a few days and already, i've found several uses for it. I have really terrible eczema that flares up all the time, and right now my hands and literally flaking because they are so dry and itchy. I've tried all the creams but none of them seemed to work - i'd have to wake up several times during the night to moisterise! But i put on a layer of this on my hands before sleeping and they were much softer and hydrated by the time i woke up. However, i used this on my neck (which is also prone to really bad bouts of eczema) and it got really itchy and red/bumpy so be careful about where you put it!

I also use this on my lips and on dry patches on my face (no problems with breakouts or pore blockage). While the cream/gel/ointment is quite thick, its not disgustingly so if you use it sparingly.

Another thing that seems to put a lot of people off is the scent. It smells a bit medicinal - a little bit herbal and a bit like the smell of band aids. It doesn't faze me too much though and the scent does fade eventually.

I really think this is worth getting if you feel like vaseline doesn't do the job for you - this is more intensive, soaks into the skin a lot better and the results are much faster!

EDIT: bumped this up to 5 lippies because it healed my face after using a particular product that broke me out into a dry, painful red rash on my face. After a shower when my face was still damp, I warmed a pea sized amount in my hands then pressed it into my skin. Did the for 2-3 nights then my face was back to normal! Hooray!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 12:39:00 PM More reviews by miamiamaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I wrote a review for the original one (under a wrong topic, but whatever) and the bottom line was- I loved it.

However, what's up with the fragrance free one? It just isn't as sticky and thus effective. I don't like it! It doesn't work for anything- chapped lips, nicks on skin. It just sits on the skin for like a minute or two and then I feel the need to reapply which was not the case with the original one.

I regret buying the fragrance free version.

Edit- the rating is for the original version of the cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2012 12:35:00 PM More reviews by lushorchid

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For reference: I have combo/dry sensitive clog prone skin.
I'm constantly on the hunt for basic rich moisturizing treatments that don't clog my skin. After finishing embryolisse, I finally gave in and have been trying eight hour cream the past month.
The product comes in a tube, and is the texture of soft thick honey translucent vaseline (it's 58% petrolatum). The herbal scent reminds me of weleda everon balm, not a hint of sweet or floral just slightly bitter smelling medicinal but fades relatively soon after application. I use around my eyes and on lips overnight and wake up with moisturized skin. I'll finish the tube, I'm not sure I'll repurchase because I've found other similar products more effective. For lanolin based products: lanisoh (unscented, thicker balm texture) and bag balm (best bang for buck, slight lanolin scent, similar texture) work as well if not better and I can always mix in a bit of my standby, vaseline. I don't find the extra ingredients noticeably effective enough to justify repurchasing (Mineral Oil, Tocopherol, BHT, Salicylic Acid, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Castor), Vegetable Oil, Zea Mays Oil (Corn)... etc. (preservatives)