OPI Start to Finish Base & Top Coat

2.7

on 8/12/2008 7:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use this as a base on my toes and as a topcoat on my fingers. I love it! It gives my toes a smooth even base for polish and leaves my fingers with a pretty finish. It's not super shiny, but everything else about it is so great I don't mind!

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Neutral

This is a fairly good, but expensive, base and topcoat in one. One lip off because as a top coat it's not very wet looking and it still takes a long time to fully dry.

on 6/17/2008 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've used this for years and even though I've tried other brands' base coats I always went back to this. It paints on in a nice even coat and dries quickly and thoroughly in about 20 minutes.
I notice Opi even started making this with a slightly wider brush than they used to and I'm so happy with that. The new brush is the *perfect* width.

Edit: I did notice, like other reviewers said, that the brush will pick up a tint from certain polish colors but I haven't noticed that affecting any of my manicures. The brush doesn't get blue tint from one polish onto my pink manicure with another polish, for example.

This *does* drag the color a teeny bit but I use a lot of frost an metallic polishes that sometimes don't paint on perfectly even so I like that the top coat will drag a bit and smooth out my not-so-pefect application.

on 1/20/2008 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I think that this polish far surpasses many others with it's shine factor. As a top coat, it does a great job making it look like your nails are freshly done and still wet all of the time. Application however, is tricky. I usually put on my regular OPI polish and then wait about an hour for it to fully dry before I put on this top coat. Even in spite of the long drying time, the top coat somehow ends up wiping off a lot of the color polish off, and I end up with these terrible streaks. I'm not sure if it does the same thing to my color polishes in other brands but it definitely does it to all of the OPI ones which I thought was so bizarre because you would think that the company would make sure that all of their products would react to each other well. I'm not sure if it's the brush or the formula itself that causes this to happen. I'm sure that there are a lot of other great top coats out there that won't do this and will also provide the same great shine maybe even for a much lower price. At $12.50 a bottle, this is definitely a disappointment.

*edit* I found that this actually makes a pretty decent base coat. It actually makes my manicures last for about a week before I get any chips. I don't use it as a top coat though.

on 12/16/2007 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

i didn't like this. i used it with opi nail polish and it made the colour chip and flake off, which never happens with opi. ridiculous. my only consolation is that i spent $10 on it... not a huge loss. still looking for a good top/base coat that will save my polish from tip wear as much as possible.

on 8/19/2007 7:18:00 PM

I do my nails at least once a week, and I thought that since I really like OPI polishes, this would be a good product to get to save money on buying everything.
It's decent as a base coat, but whenever I used it as a top coat, it would sometimes drag the polish color and it was always stuck on a brush. I've only used it three times and the bottle's not even the same color as it was when I got it anymore.
I'm using Orly's Bonder and Won't Chip, and I like them much better than the OPI base/top coat.

on 6/21/2007 12:45:00 PM

I bought Start to Finish BC & TC for my business trips since sometimes I get into the traveling weekly rut (as a consultant). Seems like a good choice, convenient double duty product from OPI and I love their polishes. Well, as with all OPI treatments I've tried, this was a disappointment too. As a base coat, it's ok. I don't have any complaints in that area. As a top coat, it's lacking in many areas - takes a long time to dry, the consistency is watery, it drags my polish unless I wait a good 15 minutes for my polish to dry, and it's not that shiny. Furthermore, my polish dulls after a full day and I have to reapply another coat. Ok, I'm out of town for work and don't have time to work on my nails every night which is precisely the reason why I wanted I expected more from this product. That and it's expensive too (around $14.00 a bottle). I kept this bottle because I can use it as a base coat but that's all it's good for. The Sally Hansen Double Duty product works much better and it's a 1/3 the price.

on 5/16/2007 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am surprised by OPI, becuz this Start to Finish Base & Top Coat really sucks- for lack of a better word! Every time I use this as a top coat, my nails wind up getting smudge marks (sheets, socks, etc.)- even up to 12 hours after a single coat of this! Unbelievable! It's like, this stuff never dries or something. I will stick with ORLY top coats from now on, as I have given this OPI brand far too many chances, and it failed at every one.

on 4/17/2007 11:30:00 AM

It's the best start-to-finish I've ever used, but it is very expensive. After a while, the formula started to take on the nail polish colours I'd been using. I don't know if I can clean the wand/brush with a nail polish remover before putting screwing the brush back into the bottle, but I don't want to get polish remover into the formula. I've stopped using it as a top coat and just use it as a bottom coat to prevent colour transfer to the bottle.

on 3/12/2007 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

wow! i'm suprised at all the bad reviews! i dont usually use a base/top coat, but when my nails started to become stained i thought i better start. I used this as a base coat, then my nailpolish choice, then this again as a top coat and my nails didnt chip for a week! My stains are also going too! i havnt got one complaint about this product, i really like it.

Top Rated OPI Products