December 21, 2014 | 1950 users online

Liquid - MAC - Select SPF 15 Foundation

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2011 12:25:00 AM More reviews by msmanetti

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this in NC25 for 3 years now as a daytime sheer to medium coverage foundation. I recently re-discovered my Prescriptives Custom Blend sample pot and compared the two. OMG! What a huge mistake I have been making. While the Custom Blend was a very slightly too ash for my face (for reference I am a pale redhead with neutral to yellow undertones, def not pink), the coverage was just beautiful compared next to the MAC select sheer. Prescriptives was moisturising, glowing, natural. The select sheer came up too yellow, streaky and sooo patchy (even after I moisturised very well and used a foundation brush). It highlighted my pores and any little dry/flaky bits terribly. Luckily I have been at home raising kids for the last 3 years and have not worn this out to any important events. I have no idea what I was thinking?? For good occasions/night time, I have been wearing MAC studio fix in NW20 - ahem - watch out Studio fix - you are next in line for a lashing! In any case, I won't be buying this again and am now on the hunt for a new sheer/medium foundation.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2011 3:32:00 PM More reviews by linnalikescats

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

So I've been using this foundation (NC25) for almost a year now and I wanted to share my impressions: I strongly dislike this foundation.
Its consistency is very liquid and it also smells kind of funny. The smell is noticable for maybe five minutes after application so it's not too annoying. Application is quite okay, just a pretty liquid foundation I guess.
What I don't like about this foundation is the following:
1. It turns orange on me after a while. Really ugly orange, oompa-loompa-esk.
2. It doesn't seem to really set. Whenever I touch my face during the day (not too sanitary I know...) my fingers leave a mark which looks just so wrong.
3. It is NOT matte. Not at all to be honest. I only had one class today and it's a cold, rainy day where I live. By the time I came home (which was about two hours after I left it) my face was so shiny, I could have been mistaken for a puddle. Not lying.
4. Despite leaving me overly oily, this foundation somehow manages to emphasize the one dry spot I have on my face. So picture an oily, shiny face with one weird dry patch, both of these features emphasized to the extreme.

Overall MAC Select SPF 15 failed for me. I def. won't repurchase.

Oh, and FYI I do take good care of my skin. I cleanse, tone and moisturize twice a day and I also exfoliate once or twice a week. No other foundation has made my skin look this bad.
So I really don't know whose fault this (the oily-shiny/dry mess on my face) but this foundation is not going to be purchased again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with oily or combination skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by deardiary

Been using this foundation for many many many years... have tried other things, NOTHING does the job like MAC studio fix fluid... covers all imperfections without making it LOOK like I'm wearing a ton of makeup... The perfect foundation =)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2011 1:59:00 PM More reviews by maha2008

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this foundation 4 years ago. I liked that foundation, since at time my skin was better than now.
This Foundation is a medium coverage foundation, quite natural looking on skin. I did not buy it again just because I wanted to try different foundations.
I am Goden beige and Warm beige in Revlon Colorstay combination skin foundation.
Mac I used to be Nc 40 4 years ago, now with all mac new foundations and my skin is lighter due to using Alpha Hydroxy lotion, now I am Nc35-37.

over all a good foundation, for skin that do not need a lot of coverage, light weight,natural looking, wearable in hot weather too.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2011 12:10:00 AM More reviews by racmal01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know what the big deal is with MAC foundations - so far they haven't impressed me and each time I get suckered into trying one it always disappoints.

I find them too yellow (like Bobbi Brown) and they almost always make my skin break out (especially on my T-Zone). I like the packaging (solid glass bottle with the pump dispenser is always a thumbs up).

Oil control was poor - multiple touch-ups needed through out the day.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/27/2011 12:45:00 PM More reviews by hwshin2

This seems to be my "go-to" foundation (it's been that way for the last 3 years)... I have tried many other but I always seem to have this one as my "back up" in case the new foundation doesn't work out...

My skin is combination (more oily than dry though) and I'm Asian with yellow undertone. I'm not sure if it's hard for other Asian ladies out there to find the right foundation shade but for me it's always the hardest thing to do especially in North America where cosmetic products are generally made for Caucasian ladies (IMO). Anyways, I use NC 30 which is the PERFECT shade for my face (but be careful cuz different MAC products have slightly different colours). This is a good foundation if you want a sheer to medium (you can build up to medium but no more than that) coverage. This is a water-based foundation (kinda similar to Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation) but the consistancy is not as watery as BB Skin.

This never broke me out but as a oily-combo girl, I always have to blot throughout the day (no matter what foundation I use). But I find that using different moisturizer makes a slight difference (hence, the hunt for the best moisturizer continues). Also, blot powder is a good way to keep the matte look during the day (but you all know that). Anyway, it's not my HG by any means but I always go back to it if I know there's nothing better at the moment cuz I know it works and it won't damage my skin as other foundations might...

Oh and one more thing... I always get compliments from people when I have this on (strange cuz it's not my HG). I guess it looks natural and the colour matches my skin.

Pros:
- Lots of shades to choose from (for me NC 30 is the right colour)
- Sheer to medium coverage for those who don't like the "made-up" look
- Not that expensive considering the size of the bottle and the brand name
- Easy to blend

Cons:
- No pump... I personally don't understand this but you can buy a seperate pump for $7 CAD
- Doesn't last all day if you have oily skin like mine

Hope this helps...

For reference, I'm NC30 in this, NC25 in MAC Pro Longwear, 4.25 Natural Tan in Bobbi Brown Natural Finish Long Lasting, 3.5 in BB Skin, 3.5 in BB Oil-Free Even Finish Compact, 120 in MUFE HD

rated 2 of 5 on 6/8/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by oceanfoam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this foundation for about 2 months, trying really hard to like it and to make it work but it's just not happening :(. It's a nightmare to blend and clings to dryness a lot so it ends up looking patchy. It matches my skintone perfectly though, so it's really too bad.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/8/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by EmJems

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Black

When I first bought this product I absolutely loved this foundation. I bought it in Nw45 and the colour was absolutely amazing suited my skin and gave me a light to medium coverage.
I applied it all over my face. I continued to do this for a few days until I developed a rash all over my face, eyebrows and over my eyelids.
I went into store to return it which they did with no problem.
I would recommend this product as it looked really lovely till I developed a rash. I would just suggest that you try a sample first before you purchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2011 1:02:00 PM More reviews by ScarHeartsYou

My previous foundation purchases have not been successful so my mum bought be a MAC foundation almost two weeks ago in hope that this purchase would be better and so far, I am really happy with it! The woman working at MAC was so friendly and helpful in helping me find what I needed. It gives me a light-medium coverage which is exactly what I need for school and it really matches my skin. It also works well with my skin tone. Lots of people in previous reviews mentions that it slips off your face and does not last for long and I have found this, but it is uncommon during weekends when I am home, but sometimes happens when I am at school. However, I believe this is due to the fact that I am very active at school as I walk to and from the train station and my school and I am constantly moving between classes. Also, I bought a powder today so hopefully that will help my foundation stay for longer during the week. Overall, I am pleased with this product and find the packaging looks very nice and although I do not have a pump, I just put a bit of the foundation on the back of my hand and apply with my foundation brush. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2011 6:13:00 AM More reviews by CandeeCane07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Have been using this foundation for a few weeks... and ive been loving it!
I have the colour in NC37 which matches my darkish yellow asian skin : )
I also have normal - dry skin

^ and the staff in the mac counter are so friendly! they helped me pick the right colour and even provided me a free face (only) makeover!

I use my MAC 188 brush to blend the foundation and it gives an airbrush finish

Foundation seems to be medium - sheer coverage

PROS
Its water based, which feels thin and NOT cakey! :)
Its also not 100% matte, so looks natural- perfect for everyday
Photographs nicely - Wore this to my school formal occasion and my face did not look pale!
No breakouts
Can be mixed with moisturizer to make it into tinted moisturizer
Packaging is amazing! - many people say they had to buy a pump separately but when i bought the foundation they gave me a free pump hhmm...
has spf
long lasting- with moisturizer & primer I had this on for 7 hours one night (and i was dancing heh)

CONS
NONE!