December 21, 2014 | 1838 users online

Concealers - Kevyn Aucoin - The Sensual Skin Enhancer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2012 12:11:00 AM More reviews by HunterGray

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have an admittedly massive collection, but this is one of the rare items I use every single time I do my makeup. I was a bit skeptical about this, but after reading dozens of reviews, and watching a ton of youtube videos about how to use it, I bought a pot from Dermstore. The lovely ladies here on the makeup boards directed me to shade 3, which is a perfect match for my (quite yellow toned) NC15 skin.

I've tried quite a few different methods of getting this to work for me as a foundation, but I haven't found one that works well enough to make it worth the effort of mixing ingredients. Where I've found this product really shines is as a blemish concealer. At least for me. I still experiment from time to time with different things to use this as a foundation, and if I find something I really love, I'll update this review.

This is the most full coverage, but natural looking, concealer I have ever come across. The pot is small for the amount you pay, but it takes such a little bit that it'll easily last you years. I use this after foundation. Wherever a blemish or post-acne mark is showing through, I'll put a tiny dot of the SSE on it. And I mean tiny. I use a fine liner brush to put the smallest dot right in the center of the area I want to conceal, and then I tap it with my finger to blend it out. I've used a Beauty Blender to do this, but I find that the warmth of my finger really helps to melt it into my skin and make it look super natural. I find that this stays put decently well, but if I want it to really be long wearing, I'll mix it with the tiniest bit of foundation like Estee Lauder Double Wear, or Revlon Colorstay. This doesn't work that well as an undereye concealer for me, but again, that could just be an issue of what I'm mixing it with. The really awesome thing about this product is just how customizable it is to your individual needs. You can sheer it out as much as you want, or wear it full strength for incredible coverage.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 2:45:00 PM More reviews by scunagorelik

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love this. I feel like an alchemist whipping together a beauty potion. I like mixing this with moisturizer or primer and apply using the Elf powder brush. I saw this method done beautifully on Youtube by Camiloveskiwi. This method worked very well for me as well. I'm a shade 7 even though MAC MUA's have told me that I'm an NC40 (with which I disagree). I don't understand why MAC SA's always tell me I'm darker than I actually am. I'm fair to medium and the KA shade 7 is perfect. This doesn't slide down my face after hours of wear either (unlike all MAC foundations).

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 6:29:00 PM More reviews by lipstickpowderpaint

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this...despite the crazy price.

I bought it in space.nk and the mua demonstrated mixing it with primer or moisturiser. After some trial and error, my favoured technique is to put a tiny blob on the back of my hand, along with a blob of primer. Using a foundation brush, I mix a bit of the product into the primer and brush all over my face. I then pull in the remainder of the product blob to what's left of the primer mix and use that under my eyes and around my nose as a concealer. As i do with all foundations, i then smooth over with my fingers, and set with loose powder

If I'm being a perfectionist, I'll use a foundation brush and a concealer brush. If I'm in a hurry, I'll just use my finger tips, though I prefer not to stick my fingers in the pot for hygiene.

I find it really fast to apply, especially as I'm doing primer, foundation and concealer at the same time. It really is all my foundation needs in one tiny pot and is as sheer or as full coverage as I want it to be. The pot will clearly last for a vey long time.

Most importantly, it looks great. My dark circles are hidden and my complexion looks flawless, which it ain't. I find it adheres really well and lasts brilliantly. I'm utterly sold.

As an aside, I'm really pleased that this range has been relaunched. I remember being appalled when I saw the cheap and nasty looking stuff on sale when I lived in New York a few years ago. The UK prices do make my eyes water, but I'm happy that the products and packaging are now worthy of the Kevyn Aucoin name.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2012 4:18:00 AM More reviews by MyMajesty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so sorry I have to say this, but this concealer is a totally miss for me. I was very enthusiastic to try this "baby", I paied a lot of money for it and it was a huge dissapointment. First of all: yes, it covers very well but the effect is very unnatural and it cakes through the day. It also sets into fine lines and pores, which is awful!
Can I also say that it broke me out like crazy? I have patches on my face where I never ever broked out in my whole life. Well, after applying this stupid product, the next day my forehead was full of tiny whiteheads. I am so sorry Kevyn..., but I will stick to my beloved MUFE Full Cover Concealer which is way way waaaay better!

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

THIS, this is a little pot of magic. After much research and debate, I took a chance and ordered SX07 sight unseen from Strawberrynet as KA is impossible to get in NZ and not even Myer in Sydney has the full range (the mascara is fab, BTW).
I have light medium, yellow based skin tone and this is pretty close to perfect, Dior Nude Glow in 021 Linen is slightly paler but in the same ballpark as far as tone goes.
OK so, the pot is very small, 18g of product in what looks like a lip gloss pot. The container itself is classy and well made a simple black composite tub with a plastic lined (metal?) burgundy screw cap. Simple, easy to use and functional. Very nice.
Product - thick, slightly goopy looking but stiff, pigmented like whoa. You only need a very small amount to get full coverage, I'd advise using a slightly damp rubicell sponge or dense foundation brush to apply (blend, BLEND!) if you want absolute max coverage but I have found mixing a fingertip dab of SSE on the edge of my palm (to help warm it) with a blob of BB cream or sheer foundation gives the best result. I've applied with both fingers and an angled foundation brush, both work fine but good blending is IMPERATIVE. This "sets" reasonably quickly so you don't have time to faff about but within a couple of minutes, it's looks smooth, natural and lasts all day (I use a primer but YMMV).
Used as a concealer - amazing! I use a teeny tiny (like a pin prick amount, we're talking microscopic here people) on the every end of a fine tapered tip brush, sweep lightly to apply and then dab with a fingertip to blend. I mostly use this as a concealer over tinted moisturizer or a BB cream and it looks very natural as long as it is blended in.
I have also successfully mixed a blob into a foundation that was a tad too pink and light for me and it has given it a much better tone and more coverage (it did require some fairly heavy duty shaking to mix and it was a reasonably thick consistency to begin with, I wouldn't attempt it with a very fluid matrix).
So, not a one step, cure everything, all in one miracle product (what is?!) but it is very effective and extremely versatile (this and a tube of BB cream can give at least three different levels of coverage, no need for an extra concealer either) and be used to customize the perfect foundation if you're willing to experiment a little and find out what works best for you.
Great for traveling, can be mixed with SPF, moisturizer (tinted or not), BB cream, other foundation, etc, lasts very well and has an amazingly natural "skin like" finish.
Definitely worth it for me!

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by goldenbrown

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

:) hello, just wanted to say that having researched this product it has no acne causing or irritating ingredients in the first 8 listed (first 8 being the highest amount, thus most important :)).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by BizzyBunny

I have sx 03 and 07. I use 07 the yellower tone to help with undereye circles and 03 as a foundation face concealer. It is a wonderful product- super pigmented and there is a learning curve to this product--so the instant gratification ppl wont like this at all, but the makeup mavens will LOVE the results. Ive found nothing better that covers imperfections.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 9:16:00 AM More reviews by Euniqued

Still quite on the fence about this product to be honest.

It works quite well as a concealer, however not on the occasional cystic acne as others have mentioned - it highlights flakes and dry skin around those areas, making it look worse and it doesn't cover up the redness very much.

However, it covers pores if you work it into your skin well enough, and looks quite good as a product to just throw on if you don't want a full face of foundation (ie. like a concealer, but better).

I wish I could make it work as a foundation however as it's so thick I'd be reluctant to try just in case it broke me out.

I'm in SX8 and MAC 25-30 for reference. It doesn't slip off throughout the day although does get slightly oily around my T-zone, which is nothing new for my combination skin.

Worth a try, however I wouldn't expect miracles

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2012 8:35:00 AM More reviews by CandyRain9247

I bought it off strawberrynet, but it is still expensive but nowhere near as expensive as ByTerry or even Chanel or YSL.

I have been on the hunt for a foundation that would go well with my skin (normal to dry), would look perfect and natural on me, with the perfect match to my skintone, and one without an SPF or even a small amount of SPF.

Ladies and gentlemen... THIS IS IT!!

I heard a lot of rave reviews of this product. I first saw it in gossmakeupartist's channel on youtube. Because I trust him and his opinions, so I thought I'd have a go at it.

I went and have a look at Mecca Cosmetica (it's practically like Australia's Sephora store) because Myers nor David Jones stocked his brand. Unfortunately they don't stock the sensual enhancer despite them stocking some of Kevyn Aucoin's beauty products.

So I went to chase it in strawberrynet.

I had to choose VERY VERY carefully which shade I would go for. I was stuck with either SX8 or SX11. After a few research, I went with SX11. My undereye concealer from MAC was an NC35. So I thought that I would be an NC 40 with heavy gold undertones.

omg it was perfect!! I could not believe it.

Now why would I want something without an SPF?

I barely go out and soak myself in the sun. I love the outdoors but as a Law student, I'm stuck at home studying or out in the University library.

It was a good thing I watched youtube videos about this product because if I didn't know what I know now, I would hate this product.

The best way to apply this would be using a beauty blender.

I take a very VERY small amount, since it's so pigmented, the size of a grain of rice and dot it carefully and evenly around my face.

Now this foundation/concealer takes a long process of blending but trust me it is worth it. It would give you a photoshopped look.

I then dab it with my damp beauty blender sponge and push it into the skin. DON'T drag the sponge. You have to use pushing and dabbing motions to get the perfect application.

Trust me, you only need the tiniest amount!

I am buying another one to stock up just in case this gets discontinued :P

I am never buying another foundation again. NEVER EVER!!

This comes in such a small pot that I can just use pop it in my hand bag and bring my beauty blender sponge, which I can use for practically any formula and beauty product.

I love this and my beauty blender!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

21 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by vrinda

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I need to start by mentioning I have medium to light dark skin tone with yellow-olive and slight pink( cheeks) skin tone. Almost neutral but leaning towards a warm base tone. I have this in sx11 and sx13. Needless to say, my skin color is in tune with the sx11 and the sx 13 is too reddish-brown for me. Although I got both of these in sale I was ruing the $13 something spent on the sx13. Somehow this second shade sat in my dresser for months until I remembered the number of BB creams sitting on my shelf unused as well. Except for the Missha no.27 and some slightly usable skin 79 bbs I was ruing the $$ spent on the others as well. But, a light bulb went up somewhere and I tried the technique of taking a grain sized of the sx13 in my finger tip and then taking my lighter shaded bb and mixing and warming the two between my thumb and index finger and then applying in a tap-tap motion without rubbing it on...just tap- tap..and thats it. I get a nice light bronzed look I am loving right now. So, I am quite happy with both of these shades now. The look that I get by using the bb and the skin enhancer is a flawless, glowy, professional look.