MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 5/8/2012 4:19:00 AM

The brush does its job very well. You can easily apply eyeshadow. I think this is a must have brush. I don't have the 217 so I can't compare them. But I definitely recommend buying this one.

on 4/29/2012 2:05:00 AM

I loved this brush up until I had lost it a couple weeks ago. Thinking about buying a new one and just in case the other turns up having two. I love this brush for eyeshadow!

on 4/17/2012 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

If you want a brush to pack color on the lid you can't get any better! I usually use my 217 because I prefer a more defused look for every day but really, 239 is so conventional too, no complains!

on 4/16/2012 1:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This brush is a must-have! I didn't think a shading brush could stand out but after buying this one it really does make a difference. I love it for packing colour on the lid and it's the perfect size. I now own two of these brushes because they are that good!

on 4/11/2012 2:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a fantastic must-have eyeshadow lay-down brush, for packing the color onto the lid. This brush works better than any I've tried at packing on powder eye-shadows. It packs the color on with the least fallout and with the most true to pan color payoff. Mac 242 is a similar and also fantastic lay-down brush that is made of both natural and synthetic bristles. The 242 is flatter and longer in shape but they both pack on color in an excellent way. The 239 handles powder shadows the best since its made of all natural goat fibers and the 242 works best with cream shadows and primers since it has some synthetic bristles in them. The 239 also works well to get color across the lower lash line and is a good smudger. I find that with the 239, there is no need for a pencil brush for going on the lower lash line. If you have brows that don't need too precise of filling, the 239 also gives a very natural brow finish when turned onto the tip and used as a brow brush. I think the 239 works well with cream products too, it's just that the 242 handles creams better. I think both brushes are must haves.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Whenever somebody asks me what are my top recommended eyeshadow brushes, I tell them: "MAC 187, 129, 217, and 239." There are other MAC brushes that I use and like (such as the 219 and 209 brush), but if I had to choose my top 4 brushes, those would be it.
The 239 Eye Shader Brush, honestly, really isn't that special. The concept isn't new; it's actually pretty traditional. But out of all the regular eyeshadow brushes, this one of best.
The bristles are white, soft, packed, and dense. The density allows for easy eyeshadow application. But please note that this isn't a multi-purpose brush. This brush is made exclusively for packing eyeshadow onto the lid. I also use this brush to apply MAC Pigment (which is a loose, concentrated powder that can be used as basically anything. I use it as eyeshadow though) onto the lid. Although, who knows? There might be other undiscovered uses that I don't know of.
The price, which is about $25, is rather expensive, but that's the kind of price tag you expect from MAC. I'm not sure if it's worth that much though (more like $15-$20).
Would I repurchase? Yes, but I doubt I'll need to.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Here's what I love about this brush - the application is so smooth. Yes, it can be a bit shy with some colors, but even when you layer, the application is so smooth and even. It's slightly large for my crease area, but I angle it a bit, and it works great. I love it for my lid above the lashes, and have two - one for light and one for dark colors. I've had mine for over 20 years, and they're still fantastic. While some people like the 242, because it's smaller and more generous with the depositing of color, the application to me is grainy.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is a versatile brush. I can use it on the eyelid, in the crease, under the eye for smudging. I have even used it as a concealer brush. I thoroughly recommend it, the bristles are very soft and they dry fast after cleansing.

I love this in applying lid colors. Very soft. Doesn't bleed or shed. Dries very fast. Will purchase again if I lost my current one.

on 3/20/2012 9:03:00 PM

Ah, 239, where would I be without you?

I have a lot of make-up brushes and tonnes of applicator brushes and (unless I'm using creams) the 239 is the one I always reach for.

Great for:
Packing colour onto the lid
Going under the eye
Doing a soft brow
Smudging the crease colour (if going for quite a defined crease look).

Have had this for years and it's never shed and it hasn't lost its shape. It's easy to clean (one caveat, see below) and dries quickly following a deep clean. It's dense. It's stiff, but not too stiff so you can smudge with it.

The single complaint. White hair?? It looks classy when it's new but it can stain. I have serious OCD when it comes to stuff like staining so I have spent the hours to get mine clean again. I wasn't going to bother but when I dipped my green stained brush into a pale champagne eyeshadow guess what happened..? Yep, puke green eyes. I guess my experience shows that it can be cleaned again - mine look white as new now - but the upshot is that I now don't use the brush with some highly pigmented eyeshadows or bright pigments that it should be fine for.

Popular Makeup Brushes