October 22, 2014 | 1154 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 3/13/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by missbrightside08

Sorry to report that this doesn't actually work for me. I used it for three months with the intense hydrator and reconstructing conditioner and no noticable results--i still have damaged hair and split ends. I don't like the liquidly consistency of the product because it runs right out of the bottle when you open it, you have to be verry careful not to spill it, and its awkward to apply it to your hair and make it stay. The banana smell was overwhelming at first and gave me a headache the first time. The packaging is also inconvenient because it is a tube, and like i said the product is so runny that it spills out everywhere since the opening of the tube is on the bottom. I also dont' like how for the k-pak system you have to wait 5 minutes and then rinse it out, then apply the next product for another 5 minutes, then rinse and do it again. thats 3 times!! what are you supposed to do in between while you wait in the shower?

Ultimately though, the product didn't help repair my damaged hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by fazli

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Keeping it for more than 5 mins, and then the next Kpak step for further 5 mins gives only average results. Too much hassle for poor results. On its own hair without shine, only next step electrisized hair.

I have used better stuff definitely, for similar price and much better outcome is Klorane papyrus or magnolia.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by moee323

This product is simply amazing if USED CORRECTLY. People who don't like this are either using it too frequently or in the wrong way. Number one point- this is a reconstructor not a conditioner. This is meant to build up hair that is weak and damaged. I have naturally auburn hair and every 4 to 5 months I get bleached highlights. I straighten my hair other everyday. I also blow-dry it every other night when I wash it. Naturally, my hair is fried. First things first I cut off around 5 inches. This will not fix your split ends, nothing does. This will reconstruct the hair that is damaged. It adds protein and has the same pH balance as your hair does and uses amino acids and keratin to build it up. It is simply amazing at what it does.

TO USE: (only use once, MAYBE twice a week)

Wash hair
Towel dry hair
Squeeze out two quarter sizes
Apply throughout ends and work up
Leave in for 10 minutes
Rinse
ADD conditioner after !

If you use it this way it is perfect for those who are looking to strengthen your hair and improve the texture and health. It is so worth it. You won't regret it

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2012 5:20:00 AM More reviews by juliet1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've only used this product three times over the last month (once every ten days) so if I notice any difference with continued use I'll edit. My long dark hair is pretty damaged from constant heat styling and living in a hot climate, so I was interested to see what a protein product would do for my hair. The first time I used this I followed it up with a normal conditioner because i've heard that this product can be drying if used on its own, and the further two times I followed it with my L'oreal intense repair treatment. I followed the instructions and washed my hair, applied the product then left for just under 5 minutes, rinsed then followed with conditioner. I have to say that I've noticed absolutely no difference whatsoever to the condition of my hair, and I think that if i'd just used the intensive conditioner alone I would have had the same results. I was hoping that this would strengthen my hair so that in further washes (i wash my hair every two days) I'd notice that my hair is stronger and less fragile, but I can't see any difference at all - after my follow up wash a couple of days later when i just use gentle shampoo and conditioner my hair is pretty much the same - still pretty damaged at the ends and breaking easily when i brush and blow dry. This certainly hasn't damaged my hair or dried it out, but I just don't notice any improvement or change at all, and for that reason I wouldn't purchase again. Smells awesome, though, which makes it nice to use, and I'll finish the tube. Hopefully I'll see some results with more extended use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Lins112

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a licensed and practicing cosmetologist I have used many (many!) "reconstructors" but I keep coming back to this one. The smell is more than a little off-putting, but if you can hold your breath while you apply it's a small price to pay. The difference it makes is noticeable even in the shower and with continued use it can remedy the over-processed "mushy" feeling that comes with too many chemical treatments.

A word of advice: it is essential to use the accompanying K-Pak Moisture Intense Hydrator Treatment to avoid the "dry" feeling some commenters have experienced. When using a reconstructor you are adding protein back into hair that has been chemically treated (and in turned stripped of the natural proteins) which can in turn make hair feel "dry." Using the the Intense Hydrator immediately after rinsing the Reconstructor will replenish the moisture and give that soft & silky feeling we all associate with "healthy hair."

Hope that helps a little - Joico's KPak line is a God-send for my long, chemically-processed hair!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2012 2:40:00 AM More reviews by girlgaga15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I actually like this product. It does make my hair dry if I use to much do really use a little and rinse with cool water I like to follow it up with a deep mask :)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/14/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by sullengurl

With extremely over processed, past my shoulder hair, I was hoping the hefty price tag and reputation Joico has would mean an effective product. Boy, was i wrong! The formula of this is extremely strange and not thick and coating. It's like somebody took a watered down conditioner, poured egg whites with it and didn't blend it properly. I've used this product for a year (one bottle does last a long time if you are concentrating on damaged ends) and my hair only looked strawlike and felt dried out, my split ends got bigger (i didn't have more but the ones i did got worse). It doesn't even detangle. I still use it because it's costly and i want to finish the bottle and can only make it work for my hair if i load up on leave in conditioner afterwards! Not impressed and would NOT recommend to any body! Useless!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/9/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by lorifunorie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is by far the best protein reconstructor i've tried yet. i've been on a mission of sorts, trying a bunch of different ones..and this one has been the best!
my hair feels fantastic, and i can already see a major difference in the health...
BUT..holy mother of...curl?
my hair is starting to have a really pretty curl/wave to it. i used to have this kind of wave when i was a child, but as i grew up it kinda just straightened itself out...is this product restoring my hair to the health it had like 15 years ago? I don't think so, maybe this was a one time deal..but hey, not complaining!

I took away a lippie because of the smell and texture of the product..it smelled like bannanas (i love to eat them, but hate that kind of fragrance) and it felt and looked like runny oatmeal. It also took the WHOLE package to coat my fine-thick (means i have fine hair, but TONS of it) and medium length hair (but i did have the smaller 5oz bottle).

For the price, since it is REALLY expensive, i probably won't repurchase this one. however, i hear Sally's Beauty Supply has a GVP (generic value product) that is just as good if not better, and it for sure will be easier on my wallet!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by Vinadet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My natural hair is thick, black, 3b curly. I recently went through a phase and recklessly decided I finally wanted to try bleaching my hair. I soon regretted my decision after TRIPLE processing my hair in the same week. I had bleached it twice, then dyed it chestnut brown to cover up how awful the "blonde" looked on me.

This *completely* ruined my hair. I had the all the signs of extremely damaged hair: When my hair was wet, it felt mushy and weak. When it was dry, it felt rough and straw-like. Originally, my hair would form natural curls right out of the shower, and I would simply put in gel and diffuse-dry. At this point, it was so fried that all it did was stay straight, even if I scrunched it with lots of gel.

Finally, after doing some research, I went out and bought Aphogee's 2-Step Protein Treatment. I did 2 treatments. The first time, however, I forgot to shake up the bottle (duh), so I tried again two days after to see if I would get better results. I did see some change. However, my hair didn't respond to it as well as I'd hoped, and it still had a bit of a mushy feel to it in the shower. Diffuse-drying with gel was awkward because the curls wouldn't hold well and I would end up with weird-looking sections that were looser than the others.

Today I decided to look for another treatment that I could try in the meantime, as the 2-Step treatment is supposed to be done only every 4-6 weeks. (I'd say I did the 2-Step about 1 1/2 weeks ago.) I saw the Generic version of Joico's K-Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor (for $5.49), and I remembered reading about it on some message boards. I was glad to read the ingredients and see that there was no silicones; however there is mineral oil.

Before using this product, I washed my hair with Suave's clarifying shampoo twice. I towel-blotted my hair and then applied the K-Pak generously, combing through and then leaving it in for 10 minutes. After that, I rinsed it out and followed it up with a good conditioner. As others will tell you, this product is NOT meant to be a "conditioner" so much as it is a "reconstructor." If you don't follow-up some sort of a conditioner, your hair will likely end up being drier than you expect.

Immediately after, I didn't feel any *huge* improvement, but it felt as if my hair was retaining less water (was less mushy). My hair still didn't form its natural curl pattern on its own and was mostly straight. However, I applied gel to it and diffuse-dried as I normally would have.

I almost couldn't believe it. When my hair was completely dried, the look and texture of my hair was almost exactly what it had been before I bleached my hair at all. My hair was curly-looking again!

This is only my first use, and I'll update the results as I continue to use the product. But I hope this will be a heads up any other curlies out there who are thinking of bleaching--Even though I'm now able to achieve the curly hair I had before, I have to put in extra work (and money) to keep it this way. If you love your curls, don't take them for granted! If you decide to bleach, *please* don't be impatient. Make sure it's really what you want, and take the steps necessary to prevent as much damage as possible. But if you've already crossed that bridge, don't lose hope. There are plenty of good protein treatments (such as this one) that can significantly help as you recover from your mistakes.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2011 3:44:00 AM More reviews by deanna424

It smells great- just like bananas but really didn't do anything for my hair. It made it overly dry and didn't help at at all with breakage. My hair also got greasy really fast.