The Body Shop Coconut Body Butter

4.1

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cyclomethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Glycerin, Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) Butter, Clyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Lanolin Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Caramel.

I love this product. Its smells like coconut, and it really moisturizes my legs. I don't have any complains for it. I also bought the coconut oil and I love it just as much, it dry super fast and gives your legs a delightful shinnyness.

on 2/21/2013 1:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

I got a mini tub of this body butter as part of a gift set - I'm sure everyone has had a Body Shop Body Butter for Christmas before!
I love coconut scented products since they remind me of being on holiday somewhere warm, ideal when I'm using this in freezing cold February, and this butter has a lovely coconut scent to it. The product is thick and creamy, ideal for dry areas on the body.
I used this on my legs after shaving for extra moisture since shaving dries my skin out so much. The butter does take a while to rub in which isn't always ideal when you're in a hurry, but fine if you have the time & patience! The lovely smell stays, which is great if you love it, although my legs felt greasy for a while after application so I'd recommend waiting ideally half an hour before getting dressed properly if you've covered a large amount of your body in this product, such as arms and/or legs. One annoyance is that the product goes lumpy over time rather than staying a smooth butter-like consistency so it's best to buy in smaller tubs; it still smells and works the same but doesn't look or feel nearly as pleasant!
Although Body Shop's body butters aren't an HG product for me as other brands offer superior moisturising power (I prefer Palmers, E45 cream and a good body oil to combat my occasionally dry skin) I do find myself coming back to them every year or so since they're frequently on offer and are made in such a wide range of gorgeous-smelling flavours - cocoa butter, shea butter and strawberry all smell divine, almost good enough to eat. Definitely one of those products everyone must try for themselves.

on 2/19/2013 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have a love-hate relationship with this product. There are times when I adore the smell and the creamy texture and there are other times when I hate it. It's weird... I bought a big jar of this several times and I never finished it; so I threw it away when it expired and felt bad for spending 20$ on something I didn't use. And then I got trapped again... and again.
- The main thing I love is the smell and the texture; it looks and feels like cake-filling :) It moisturises my skin and it gives a slight glow; and the scent lasts all day.
- The main thing I hate is the smell and the texture: it's overpowering at one point; and it's greasy. It doesn't absorb into my skin completely and i sweat smelling like a coconut, while my body is shiney and oily.
So yeah... I'm not convinced: do I like it or do I dislike it? I think I might need to repurchase and find out :))

on 1/29/2013 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this butter in this scent. It is a light tropical coconut scent that I adore. I have itchy dry skin that I would need to take a prescription but it wouldn't work and leave a dry ugly finish. I tried this on a whim and it actually healed my skin. Leaves my skin smooth & soft all day into the next. Doesn't feel greasy but leaves a nice glow. I have tried other TBS butters but this is my favorite.

on 1/13/2013 12:14:00 PM

A co-worker of mine recommended this product to prevent my skin from peeling after a tan. Sure enough, this is the only product I have ever found that prevents and/or slows down peeling.

The product is thick and not at all runny. It has a creamy, slippery consistency, but not greasy. I personally wouldn't use it on any areas of the skin that are not super dry. The Body Shop does make other body butters for normal skin, but the coconut scented one is for very dry skin only.

This product has a pleasant coconut scent. It will however become rancid over time. A jar will last me about one-season.

The Body Shop sells Coconut Body Butter in a large and small sized jar. If you're using it on small areas, it may be more feasible to purchase the smaller size for maximum usage before the product expires.

The packaging is well made with hard-plastic, and is unlikely to break when dropped (I drop mine all the time). It comes with a screw-on top, which is easy to open. Tip! If you’re travelling with this product, expect the body butter to shift when moved. Be sure to fasten the top securely, and open it carefully.

It is pricey, but well-worth the investment.

One negative comment; as I mentioned earlier this product is great for suntanned skin. However, if you are using this product during the summer or in humid climates, it will attract mosquitoes. I learned this the hard way. When I applied the product and then went outdoors, the mosquitoes were more attracted to me that usual. I would recommend only using this when indoors or at least way in advance of going outdoors.

on 12/6/2012 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This one smells very nice! It's like summer. It's a stronger-smelling body butter from the Body Shop, so you can't really roll your whole body in it like the Shea Butter one, so I reserve this one for my hands only. I don't think I'd want to use it in summer though since it's so thick, but using it reminds me so much of the warmer months.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

At first i really like this product. The consistency was good, i loved the smell and i was obsessed with using it. After about 2 months, the consistency completely changed, not to the point that it was useless, but it's harder to spread around. I'll have to leave it in a warm room for awhile just to get it to work. I still love the smell, i like tropical smells anyway. For the price, it was pretty expensive. I think i paid $20, so i definitely wouldn't buy it again. I found an off brand of body butter at costco that works a little better than this one, and i paid $20 for four tubs of them!
I'm not saying don't buy this, just be careful.

on 7/13/2012 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

-After about a month, the butter hardened and became impossible to spread/blend! Gaw!
-I initially liked the smell, but I quickly got sick of it... Too sweet and artificial.
-For the first month it was moisturizing and absorbed ok.
-I haven't experienced the butter hardening with strawberry, cherry, and papaya scents.

Go to summer lotion
- greasy on the skin for 30 minutes after application
- strong beachy coconut smell that lingers through the day (love!)
- felt like it helped when in the sun (gain some color) and sun repair (so moisturizing)

on 6/24/2012 3:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

The body butter was luxurious, and really moisturized my legs and body. It was cheap and did last a good amount of time before I put it away.
The only problem I had with it was the smell. ugh! It was quite overpowering and I couldn't handle it. I didn't even finish the tub (6.7 oz). Maybe it was because it was such a large tub. It did lessen once you rubbed it in but I just didn't like the scent. So besides the scent it did a great job. It just depends on whether you appreciate the more heavy, warm scents.

Popular Lotions / Creams