July 30, 2014 | 2026 users online

Scrubs - St. Ives - Apricot Scrub

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 8:15:00 AM More reviews by beautifulxoxdisaster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this product. I have very sensitive acne prone skin so I thought when I first tried it it was going to strip my skin bare but I was so wrong. I had a massive breakout all over my face about a week ago and by using this every night after my make up remover and hot cloth cleanser my face has cleared up a treat. My skin is not perfect but it is 10 times better than what it was. I only gave this product 4 lipsticks for the packaging because I find it always goes all over the lid and goes all hard. Yuck! Except that I love it and have repurchased it about 4 times! Love Love Love!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2014 6:11:00 PM More reviews by ceebee90

For one of the most popular scrubs on the market, it doesn't have the best reviews! I was expecting to see people raving, but I can see how this one's not universally appealing. That said, mines will be a rave review.

My skin can take a lot of abuse. Products don't inflame my skin or cause any reaction. I can use harsh, abrasive exfoliants, loads of fragrance, alcohol... Really just about anything, although I try to keep it simple just in case.

That said, this is one of my skin care staples. I've been using it since junior high (a little over a decade) and I still run to the drugstore whenever I run out. I use it maybe once or twice a week for a really abrasive, and effective, exfoliant. After using it, my face feels totally soft and brand new. I find that makeup looks better after using it because it scrubs away any clinging dead skin cells or patches. I find my skin tone looks more uniform, too. I also like the feel of the walnut shell powder scrubbing my face. Unlike with more "gentle" scrubs, I actually feel like this one is doing something! It doesn't have a lot of overpowering fragrance, which is also nice.

All that being said, those with sensitive skin should obviously stay away from this. Most dermatologists recommend a gentle scrub with more rounded little beads, as opposed to the jagged nature of walnut shell. This scrub contains a number of ingredients that may inflame sensitive skin. But if you're like me, and your skin can take it, this scrub is a classic and a best-seller for a reason! Just use it once or twice a week and don't scrub too hard or for too long.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by MissNolasco

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall, this apricot scrub is worth 4 stars, I think it is nice smelling and actually works on acne breakouts, but the smell is a little bit overpowering which is why I knocked off one star. I would buy this for my brother, who has acne like I do and he would love it, I know he would and that is very hard.... Finding a product which my brother would love! 4 stars well deserved!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/10/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by lulu6789

This is horrible and abrasive. It gave me hundreds of acne ice pick marks and make my spots 1000x WORSE! The smell was bearable but not pleasant at all. Never ever buying again. If you have skin that is extremely tough then this will still harm you

rated 1 of 5 on 2/5/2014 10:02:00 PM More reviews by janaoo4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

The packaging is the only good thing about this product. I used to go from store to store trying to find the best exfoliator, and ladies and gentlemen, this is not it. People always think that this stuff must be gentle because heck! It's apricot seeds! How could that be damaging?

Well it is. I wish I knew what I know now back then. All of these products like this, or LUSH's Ocean Salt all have exfoliating agents that are far too large, and too sharp to actually do any good for your skin. They should be renamed grinding agents. The apricot curnels literally have sharp edges on them from where they were broken, so instead of being a mild abrasive that helps sluff off dead skin, this stuff is just tearing up your poor skin leaving it raw, and unhealthy. Not to mention all the perfumes in this stuff that only serve to cause further irritation. You're scratching your skin, and causing micro gouges, then dumping perfume into those fresh wounds, it's a bad combo that will leave you skin dull looking.

Cheaper AND BETTER option. Use Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and baking soda. I've said this before, but this is something that you can make for pennies at home AND it will work MUCH better than St. Ives, LUSH's or other scurbs. All you have to do is mix the baking soda and olive oil into a thin paste. The cold pressed EVOO retains a chemical structure which is very similar to human sebum (oil) so it doesn't clog your pores. Instead, it removes excess dirt, and oil, and even helps break up dirt and oil that is clogging your pores (you can use this all over your body, including your face). The oil leave your skin very clean and moisturized. The baking soda is a very, very mild abbrasive. The particles are so fine that it gently helps slough off dry skin, polishing it to a healthy glow, instead of the dry, dull mess that these other scrubs seem to leave you with. Baking soda also helps kill bacteria that causes acne, so it's great if you have acne on your face, chest or back. Though I will say, because it has a basic pH, it can sting just a little if it gets into an open wound. You can switch baking soda out for fine brown sugar if you have issues, but it won't kill bacteria. After you're done, you just rinse, then use a mild soap to remove any excess oil (though it's ok, and actually pretty good to leave a bit of oil on the skin).

You can make this scrub at home quickly, and cheaply. I've seen boutique versions selling for $30 a bottle! But you can make it at home for pennies! Plus you can always use your left over St. Ives bottle. It's the only good thing about this product. I make a small premix, and pour it into the empty St. Ives bottle to keep the shower. Anyways, that's my two cents. I didn't like St. Ives, or any products like this. Felt they were ripping me off, I suggest you try the EVOO scrub for yourself, but to each their own.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by Madridista

I have combination skin and lately I noticed a LOT of whiteheads and blackheads on my face. This scrub did an amazing job clearing my skin without any irritation even if I have sensitive skin. You ABSOLUTELY have to tone and moisturize after using this because it has salicylic acid in it. I use witch hazel as a toner and cetaphil moisturizer after... And this scrub is just AMAAZIIING !!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Keyra89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the only face scrub I use. I have used this since middle school once a week. Works so well to get rid of blackheads. When I stop using it, I always get blackheads and once I start it back up, my blackheads clear out. its inexpensive and works wonders. I been purchasing this product for 12 years.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by 26cyj58

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Brilliant product. Cheap as chips. Really brightens the skin and leaves it feeling smooth and glowing.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2014 12:52:00 AM More reviews by heykiddo

Forget these harsh painful scrubs that abrade your face to death.
Brown sugar. Honey.

You're welcome. I just saved you pain, your face, tons of money, and all the chemicals. (Trust me just try the brown sugar + honey mix, you will never go back)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/27/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by AYko

I bought it expecting it to be a miracle, after reading other reviews. I did everything right, read directions both online and on the package, to find the correct way to use it, but it still was too harsh. Maybe I will try the sensitive skin one. It didnt help my skin either, just made the bumps irritated, probably is a better scrub for skin with smoother surface.