Albolene cleanser

4.3

Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Ceresin, Beta Carotene

on 2/2/2012 3:46:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I've used this for years. Every time I try something else, I end up being underwhelmed, and return to this wondering how I ever gave it up in the first place. I have normal/dry skin, so I can't speak for oily people here, but this works so well for me. It takes all of my makeup off, and leaves my skin feeling super soft, which is a miracle in the winter time. I also haven recurring patches of eczema around my eyes, and I notice it always returns when I stop using this. I haven eczema on my hands too, and I find that if I put a good layer of this on my hands, then sleep with gloves on, I can keep it under control.

on 1/17/2012 2:57:00 AM

I am not reviewing this product as a makeup remover, but as a treatment for eczema (it is marketed as this as well). I have not really used it as a makeup remover but after reading the reviews on here I may give it a try. I had this weird rash on my arms for months, it was very very red, itchy, bumpy, and irritated. I went to the doctor several times and they gave me cortisone treatments (creams) of increasing strength to try to get rid of the rash. They did not work. Although I and the doctors were not certain, it seemed like it may have been a bad case of eczema. After about a month of experimenting with the different cortisones, I started getting nervous about my skin thinning, etc. Plus it wasn't really getting any better. So basically I stopped using any cleanser on the area in the shower (it was just my arm/elbow area so no biggie) and then after getting out of the shower used albolene. My skin got better within a couple of weeks. It stayed better for quite a while, and only recently my rash has come back a bit (I had stopped using the albolene). So I started using it again and it seems to be keeping the problem under control and very minimal. So, long story short I would recommend this for treatment eczema. I found it to be more effective than the aveeno baby stuff I tried for eczema. I use this on my face now as a moisturizer too. I use it at night after I wash my face, and then a tiny bit in the morning before I put on makeup. It works really well. If I am going into really cold weather I slather it on my face heavily and it really helps protect my skin. I absolutely love this product.

on 1/8/2012 11:52:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am in love. I was originally using Ponds, and thought for sure it was my HG. While going to pick some up at Rite Aid I saw this on sale, looked at the ingredients and thought why not try it. Boy am I smart! It completely removes my Revlon Colorstay and my impossible YSL mascara. I have lots of black heads all over and bad breakouts only around my chin/mouth area pretty much constantly. Somehow this cleared those up?! It keeps my skin hydrated but not greasy and makes it nice and smooth. Thank you Albolene! The thing that really makes this better than ponds to me, is that you don't need to use neeearly as much, so although its expensive, its worth it! One jar lasts forever.

on 12/1/2011 4:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm pretty sure a can of Crisco shortening would be cheaper. I think it's the same stuff! Ick. Grease on my face.

on 11/27/2011 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have oily acne prone sensitive skin. This product does not break me out, however it can be tricky to use because it is so goopy and oily. I usually smear it all over my face, rub it in, then use a warm cotton face towel to remove the product (along with my make-up). It is not great at removing mascara, but otherwise leaves my skin smooth and clean--without over drying (which many cleansers tend to do). I would definitely recommend as a gentle and moisturizing cleanser, especially if you are using prescription strength acne products (as I do) which tend to dry and irritate the skin. I found it at DR.

on 11/17/2011 10:13:00 AM

I love this product, I have been using it for years. I only wish it came in travel size because the airlines don't allow carry on baggage with anything over 3 ounces. I could check my bag but I don't usually do that so I have to buy albolene when I get to my destination and when I leave I have to throw it away because I can't take it on board.. does anyone else have this problem?

on 10/26/2011 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I use cold cream (Walgreen's store brand) to cleanse my skin and remove my makeup, and I'm extremely happy with that routine. I decided to try Albolene after reading glowing reviews. It comes in a large, industrial-looking tub for around $12. In the tub, it looks like clear vaseline. Upon contact with skin, it somewhat liquefies so it is very easy to use. I apply it to my dry face, massage it in thoroughly, remove with a hot, wet wash cloth, and follow with toner. I find that it easily removes all of my makeup, and leaves my skin feeling soft and extremely clean, but not at all stripped or dry. It easily removes even the most stubborn waterproof mascara (Ulta Amped Lashes, I'm talking to you!) and long-wearing foundations. It has no fragrance, so it isn't irritating. In fact, this is often recommended by dermatologists. My skin is somewhat dry, and this does seem to be very nice and moisturizing. I think this would work well for normal to dry skin types, but perhaps not so well on oily skin. The tub is quite large, and I find that I use less of this than my cold cream, so it will last quite a while. It also works nicely for fighting blackheads (oil vs oil and all that). I love that this is a vintage product that has been around since at least the 1940s and hasn't changed formulas. It works great, and is wonderful for your skin. I love this product and will definitely repurchase.

on 10/17/2011 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hate to be the downer in this swarm of positive reviews, but this product was an epic FaiL for me. First of all, I had to hunt to find this, then when I finally did, I wasnt too thrilled about the $13 or so price tag. I thought to myself, "this better be good" and with all the great reviews I couldnt wait to try it. I would describe this as 'glorified Vaseline,' but I would not insult Vaseline that way. I have put actual vaseline on my face before. I have used sugar/olive oil scrub on my face, and sometimes I even moisturize with various oils and they have never done my face so wrong as this goo. This broke me out and left a general dirty feeling to my skin...could I be allergic or smthng, idk... And as far as makeup remover goes, this doesnt hold a candle to regular old J&J baby oil IMO. So now not only do I have this big tub of wasted $13 laying around, it wont be cheap to swap bc of its weight (which I currently have listed under my items if anyone is interested). Needless to say, I will never be purchasing this again.

on 10/6/2011 10:21:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I love this product bc it moisturizes while melting your makeup off! Very gentle on the skin! Seems oily but its just protecting your skin by not drying it out as other products do! Excellent for w/p mascara!

on 10/5/2011 11:23:00 AM

Love this stuff... I use cleansing oils primarily because I have combo skin that has an extremely oily tzone and dry cheeks .. I also use prescription Retin A... I hesitated before trying this because of the mineral oil but I have to tell you that I use no other cleanser now... this liquifies on contact and removes all of my heavy duty waterproof eye makeup and long wearing stuff easy... Best of all, it does NOT irritate my very easily irritated eyes... I can open my eyes with this stuff smeared all over them and it doesn't burn or sting and does not cause the film in the yes that oils sometimes can. I smear this all over my face and neck and then wipe off with a warm, wet microfiber face cloth and then use my Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel for a toner and my skin is perfect... just enough moisture and no oily residue... love love love and can not recommend highly enough.