December 18, 2014 | 1681 users online

Cleansers - Albolene cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 11/17/2011 10:13:00 AM More reviews by jl54olds

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this product, I have been using it for years. I only wish it came in travel size because the airlines don't allow carry on baggage with anything over 3 ounces. I could check my bag but I don't usually do that so I have to buy albolene when I get to my destination and when I leave I have to throw it away because I can't take it on board.. does anyone else have this problem?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2011 1:38:00 PM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use cold cream (Walgreen's store brand) to cleanse my skin and remove my makeup, and I'm extremely happy with that routine. I decided to try Albolene after reading glowing reviews. It comes in a large, industrial-looking tub for around $12. In the tub, it looks like clear vaseline. Upon contact with skin, it somewhat liquefies so it is very easy to use. I apply it to my dry face, massage it in thoroughly, remove with a hot, wet wash cloth, and follow with toner. I find that it easily removes all of my makeup, and leaves my skin feeling soft and extremely clean, but not at all stripped or dry. It easily removes even the most stubborn waterproof mascara (Ulta Amped Lashes, I'm talking to you!) and long-wearing foundations. It has no fragrance, so it isn't irritating. In fact, this is often recommended by dermatologists. My skin is somewhat dry, and this does seem to be very nice and moisturizing. I think this would work well for normal to dry skin types, but perhaps not so well on oily skin. The tub is quite large, and I find that I use less of this than my cold cream, so it will last quite a while. It also works nicely for fighting blackheads (oil vs oil and all that). I love that this is a vintage product that has been around since at least the 1940s and hasn't changed formulas. It works great, and is wonderful for your skin. I love this product and will definitely repurchase.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by LNSklnjr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hate to be the downer in this swarm of positive reviews, but this product was an epic FaiL for me. First of all, I had to hunt to find this, then when I finally did, I wasnt too thrilled about the $13 or so price tag. I thought to myself, "this better be good" and with all the great reviews I couldnt wait to try it. I would describe this as 'glorified Vaseline,' but I would not insult Vaseline that way. I have put actual vaseline on my face before. I have used sugar/olive oil scrub on my face, and sometimes I even moisturize with various oils and they have never done my face so wrong as this goo. This broke me out and left a general dirty feeling to my skin...could I be allergic or smthng, idk... And as far as makeup remover goes, this doesnt hold a candle to regular old J&J baby oil IMO. So now not only do I have this big tub of wasted $13 laying around, it wont be cheap to swap bc of its weight (which I currently have listed under my items if anyone is interested). Needless to say, I will never be purchasing this again.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 10:21:00 PM More reviews by chexican87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product bc it moisturizes while melting your makeup off! Very gentle on the skin! Seems oily but its just protecting your skin by not drying it out as other products do! Excellent for w/p mascara!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2011 11:23:00 AM More reviews by katieqr0918

Love this stuff... I use cleansing oils primarily because I have combo skin that has an extremely oily tzone and dry cheeks .. I also use prescription Retin A... I hesitated before trying this because of the mineral oil but I have to tell you that I use no other cleanser now... this liquifies on contact and removes all of my heavy duty waterproof eye makeup and long wearing stuff easy... Best of all, it does NOT irritate my very easily irritated eyes... I can open my eyes with this stuff smeared all over them and it doesn't burn or sting and does not cause the film in the yes that oils sometimes can. I smear this all over my face and neck and then wipe off with a warm, wet microfiber face cloth and then use my Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel for a toner and my skin is perfect... just enough moisture and no oily residue... love love love and can not recommend highly enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

For DRY and Sensitive skin - this is the BEST product I have ever used.
A- if it were any less expensive, they would have to give it away free
B- if you have sensitive skin, it never irritates or makes your eyes red
C- if you need to remove makeup without working yourself into a tizzy, this product is for you
D- there is no packaging, except the jar it is in, so no waste
E- it Never dries your skin out, so you do not have to worry about any damage being done

I put it on, and then remove it with a wet washcloth. Yes, of course it does ruin a good number of washcloths, but I just launder them and keep using them.
It can of course be used with tissue, it is just that I prefer the wet cloth method.

The best for the least - it does not get much better.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by wiseowl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Asian cleansing oils had gotten too much for my budget. (Not to mention, when my mild rosacea is flaring up, cleansing oils are a little too good at what they do; I've learned that as I get older, being squeaky clean w/stripping cleansers doesn't help my rosacea.) The fragrance in Pond's had become too much for my mild rosacea.
Then, I stumbled across Albolene. I don't get why this isn't better known. Love that it has no fragrance--makes such a difference. I'm able to wipe off all my makeup without it feeling too stripping on my skin and then I follow with a gentle cleanser. I get why some might think, "hey, this is glorified Vaseline", but the truth is it's not. When you rub Vaseline on your face, it stays thick--acts like a barrier, which is why you see it used around the hairline for coloring hair with henna to prevent henna staining your skin. Albolene, on the other hand, turns into a liquid-y oil and you're able to move makeup off your face. In fact, I even use Albolene on no makeup days prior to my gentle cleanser: it gets off my Shiseido sunscreen, as well as all the grunge of pollutants. Because I'm a very light user of makeup, one to two fingertips' worth of small smudges of Albolene are enough to remove my everyday makeup(undereye concealer, talc-free powder on my t-zone, a coating of mascara on tips of lashes, and some lipstick). But if you use a little more makeup than me, I'd suggest dabbing a second application of Albolene and doing a second sweep just to get a feel for how much Albolene you'll need to use in general. I'm not going to criticize the fact it comes in a pot/jar because I'm already an obsessive handwasher who washes her hands before she applies anything to her face. Though, I do think Albolene's jar is a much better design than Pond: you can fit your whole hand in and reach the bottom unlike the Pond's jar. Oh, if you need to avoid fragrance like I do, be sure you get the Albolene with the blue lid. The one with the red lid has fragrance in it. But if you're a germaphobe, here's a good option. Ben & Jerry's and Hagen-Daaz both do these individual sized, dixie cup style ice creams, coming with little plastic paddle spoons. Treat yourself to ice cream and then save and wash the paddle spoon for dipping into Albolene. There, I just gave everyone an excuse to buy ice cream, aren't I nice?
Here's why I'm taking off one lippie. This is not for people with oily skin. In fact, Albolene says this on their website, though they don't mention this on the jar! I have combination skin, but my skin is happier with less stripping products due to my mild rosacea: anything with foam causes me to run to the hills. Also, if things like mineral oil, petrolatum, or paraffin clog your pores, don't use this product. The very chic blog Ars Aromatica has a great article on mineral oil if you get confused about mineral oil. Cosmetic companies love to play on women's fears and get us to shell out loads of money for products because the items are "mineral oil-free". Here's the thing. If mineral oil clogs your pores, a product like Albolene will seem hideous. If mineral oil doesn't clog your pores and you have something like mild rosacea, Albolene will seem like a great budget option for makeup removal.
This stuff costs more than Pond's, but there's a lot of product per container and it seems to last me way longer than Pond's and gives me way more bang for the buck than Pond's.
Teenagers with hormonal, highly reactive skin should maybe hold off on trying this. I remember back in the day it was hard for me as a teenager to figure out whether mineral oil clogged my pores or not thanks to all the surging hormones--sometimes tricky at that age to figure out when it's an ingredient or your hormones responsible.
One last thing, people in performance art-related stuff should really consider this product: the way Albolene liquifies would be really great when you want to break down and cut through greasepaint, tv sticks, etc.
Update 7/12/2013: I just discovered in one of those mega-stocked CVS Albolene packaged in a squeeze tube with a quantity I'd estimate to be about 2-3 oz. I would say the pricing was about half the price of Albolene's regular last-you-a-year tubs. I think this packaging could be possibly useful for regular travelers: the amount will last you multiple trips. So, check ds websites and drugstores that are especially well-stocked to see if you can spot the squeeze tube option.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by dollief

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Looks like vaseline but does NOT act like vaseline! Once you scoop it out and begin to massage into your skin, it liquifies and so does all the makeup! Unscented, perfect for sensitive skin, whether oily or dry. Takes off makeup very well, and I really do think it is helping clean out my pores which had gotten clogged from the cocoa butter in Merle Norman cleansing cream. My skin is very acne prone and oily and this is helping very much to calm it down. I follow with gentle use of J&J Head to Toe.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by kstraigh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE this stuff! I have acne prone, very dry and very sensitive skin and this stuff is amazing! It takes all the makeup off (including eye makeup w/o burning) and moisturizes my skin as well. I just wipe it off with a dry wash cloth or tissue, no rinsing. My skin feels soooo much better! Most (including Proactive) skin cleansers just irritate my skin more and then even after applying moisturizer, my skin looks bad, feels brittle and dry. However, with Albolene there is no problem. I noticed a big difference right away and after 3 days I'm convinced it's the best! I have not gotten any more acne from not completely rinsing this product off my face. In fact, my face is cleaner than ever and looks great!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by shcjeunbyeol

I usually like all the high rated mua products. but this one, i really dont like it and cannot agree with the majority. this cleanser is wayyy too greasy. it's unbelievable. it will never get off from my face. it's very greasy so you def can't remove it with water. it's just like oil and water. they will never get combined and will never be removed. so i have to use some cloth or cotton pad or something to remove it. but it's still on my face and my face is actually greasy and i still have thin layers of albolene no matter how much i swipe my face. it really doesnt work for me.