September 23, 2014 | 1809 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Mercier - Pressed Setting Powder - Translucent

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2008 6:58:00 AM More reviews by babykitten9

The powder case is nothing to write home about - boring cheap brown plastic. You would expect something more elegant for such a price.
But the powder itself is outstanding! Silky, light, very fine and doesn't build up like lots of other powders do. It barely shows on your skin so if you need more coverage you have to look for something else.
For me it has become a HG (keeps oilies at bay, no breakouts, no morphing colors etc) and I will definitely repurchase!
Update: half a year later. I am still halfway through with my first powder! Normally with other powders I have to buy a new one every month. This is definitely a winner!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2008 10:16:00 AM More reviews by dstath

This is my HG powder! At first I was wary about trying a translucent powder, but it works for me! It doesn't add unnecessary color and it holds back the oil. Definitely creates the "flawless face."

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2008 5:55:00 PM More reviews by Enrilynne

Didn't like this product at all. The LM Translucent Loose Powder works much better. I returned this.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by jeanbean14

This is a very fine milled translucent (whitish) powder. I use this to set Clinique's Superfit Foundation. It does apply translucent. It glides and applies very well into my skin. However, I don't use the sponge it comes with, instead I use my own regular face brush. It definitely gets rid of sheen from my foundation. I don't know yet how it will hold up with shine throughout the day. Will update...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2008 12:48:00 PM More reviews by na8i

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Description from LM website: "Laura Mercier Translucent Pressed Setting Powder is a lightly, fine-milled French "cashmere" talc powder, formulated like the Loose Setting Powder, in an easy-to-carry compact with mirror."

I got this in a swap, but normally it retails for 30 USD for 0.28 oz. Pretty expensive. I have used this almost every day for two months, and I can already see the bottom of the pan. Chances are I will finish this in another two months. The compact is pretty, less streamlined than I expected, but the burgundy-brown color is a nice change from the usual black. LM recommends using the sponge in a "pressing" motion. I recommend using a nice powder brush instead. Application looks more flawless and silky. The sponge easily leaves white residue, and if you have slightly flaky skin, it will be accentuated.

I have not used many powders in the past, so I am not sure what to expect from a powder. However, this powder did not break me out nor accentuate fine lines and pores. It looks nice and silky when applied with the right tools. According to LM it controls unwanted shine without drying the skin. I am partially agreeing with this statement. I do get oily after a while in the t-zone (8 hours or so), but I feel this powder slows the process a little and the longeviety of my makeup have been vastly increased. A very nice product from Laura Mercier, but I do think there are better, yet cheaper alternatives available.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2007 6:17:00 PM More reviews by candy_hunter

The perfect powder for touch-ups. A little goes a long way, after touch-ups, face looks refreshed, not "another layer of powder on my face." I actually find the sponge satisfactory, it distributes powder on my face well, and very easy to tap off excess powder off the sponge too.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2007 6:21:00 PM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Excellent all around powder. Easy to apply and provides a very even and silky finish. I use this about twice during the day on the t-zone area and it does not cake or cause my foundation to fade. On of the best products from this line.

Only draw back is the applicator sponge. Could be better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2007 1:29:00 PM More reviews by Eolo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Ever since I tried Laura Mercier's Oil Free tinted moisturizer that I fell in love with the brand and I'll want to give anything that is suitable for my skin type a try.

Also, right after eyeliner I loved pressed powders and will try them out quite frequently, although I should stick to the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule of thumb.

Laura Mercier's translucent pressed powder seemed like an ideal opportunity to change powder for something that would control the oil and not as agressive like MAC's blot powder sometimes is on my skin.

First, I hate the sponge, I find it unhygienic I don't like the way it dispenses the powder on my face and find that I always need to touch it up with my brush. I gave up on it after three disastrous uses.

I also find that this transluscent powder is rather chalky on my complexion and takes its own sweet time to set and by mid-morning the powder migrates enhancing lines I wasn't even aware existed, it's definitely something that stays on my kit for touch-ups on someone not cursed with oily skin like mine.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2007 8:57:00 PM More reviews by cnugent

I may buy the loose powder next because I know someone who looks flawless in the loose powder. The sponge is useless so I use a kabuki type brush to dust around my eyes and nose, and tzone to eliminate oil. It feels like Im not wearing anything. I use a color, 002 or something, not translucent, and I love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2007 10:06:00 AM More reviews by dictatorprincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The loose powder is far superior. Being a Laura fan I bought this five times until I migrated to the loose powder. I won't make that mistake a sixth time. This is a good product for touch ups but not much else. Hate the sponge.
If you have money to burn on Laura there are other things. I think it is just the translucent that is "average" because her other pressed powders are more than fine, even excellent. I wouldn't kick this powder out of bed if I got it for free but have now converted to the loose powder if I'm buying.
If you want to buy a pressed powder for portability, T Leclerc's translucent or banane is a much better buy. Yes it pains me to say that because Laura Mercier can do no wrong, but I am here to say the truth even if it hurts.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No