Urban Decay NAKED Basics

4.4

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I'm so late to this party & I got here in a really roundabout way. First, I always thought I was a shimmer-only eyeshadow person & second, I've held a bit of a grudge against UD since my first high end purchase ever, the Ammo palette, was such a bust. That palette is impossible to use because the fallout is outrageous, and I never thought I would purchase another Urban Decay palette because of it.

So, instead I purchased Lorac. I love Lorac, & I own both Pro's & the Unzipped. I found quickly that the only part of the Pro palette's I was using was the matte shades. Then, the Naked Basics palette started popping up in a bunch of recent blog posts & YouTube favorites videos & it felt like fate. I needed to give this palette a shot.

Bought it as a treat for myself last payday & I've only used it once, but once is enough to know that I'm IN LOVE. I thought Lorac quality couldn't be beat, but these matte shades are incredible. They're soft as butter & so easy to blend, with the added bonus of no fallout whatsoever. I'm visiting home next week & I think this palette will be the only one I take. It's that good.

I'm very happy that UD found it's way back into my heart and now I'm thinking I may need to check out Naked 3. I've been eyeing it for awhile but was so traumatized by the awful fallout from that Ammo palette that I've been avoiding it. Here's to second chances!

on 8/29/2014 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm a neutral kind of girl, and this palette is by far my favourite out of all the ones I have so far. The eyeshadows are smooth, the colours are great and they show up nicely. They also stay on all day, even if I don't use an eyeshadow primer. It's also small enough to place into a travel bag. I love this palette and I would recommend this to any new makeup users out there!

on 8/28/2014 5:32:00 AM

Amazing, I use faint on my brows. Venus is my all time fave from the pallet

on 8/27/2014 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

im kind of late on the band wagon for this. i love all things make up related EXCEPT eye shadow. im just not into it. especially shimmery glittery unnatural colors. so when urban decay came out with this simple palette, i was excited. the reason i love this so much is because i use it for so many things! the lightest shade i use as a highlight wherever i want. the next two shades i use as an all over lid wash. and the next beigey shade i use to contour. and not just my eyes. my nose or cheek bones also. the last two shades which are a dark brown and black color i use as eye liners with a wet brush. its just sp practical for someone like me and its the only palette i want and need. the packaging is darling and its great for travel! the color payout is great as well

on 8/25/2014 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Let me preface by saying I have never been a big fan of neutral mattes. They have never really done much for my green eyes, dark brown hair and fair cool complexion. I read so many great reviews on this palette that I thought it might change my mind. It didn't. These colors are far too warm for me, and there is nothing wow about them. The formula is nice and pigmented, but looks dry when used with the UD eye primer. Staying power is great. I find myself using the same 3 shades everyday, and it's just boring and doesn't do anything to bring out my eyes. I am giving two lippies though, because the color Venus is gorgeous and I will probably purchase it individually and give my mom this palette.

on 8/18/2014 3:58:00 PM

Love this palette!!!!!!! It was my first e/s palette and it is named perfectly. Everyone needs this in their collection. It works great for a matte eye look or in conjunction with other eyeshadows.

on 8/16/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

This palette is the greatest answer to all those shimmer/glittery eyeshadow palettes that need moe depth in their looks. Looks great on my NC42 skin tone. Can't wait for Basics 2 at the end of the month!

on 8/11/2014 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I bought this palette for everyday use, as I tend towards neutral-brown smokey look for my grey eyes. Overall you can definitely tell these eyeshadows are more high-end then, say, a Coastal Scents or ELF palette--they're more buttery in texture and less chalky. Venus is the perfect browbone highlight shade for my pale skin; just lighter and a tiny bit of shimmer. Foxy is beautiful on the inner corner (on me at least, I find yellows to be more brightening for that part of the eye). WOS is a perfect nude on me, being about the same tone as my skin. I use it along with Naked 2 to blend out my lid color. Crave is a true, matte black which is long-lasting and lovely smudged along my lower lashline. Faint, however....the only shadow from this palette that I didn't like, and ironically the one I bought it for originally. I thought it would be a beautiful medium brown on my lid, perfect for a daytime smokey eye. However, it resists both blending and layering, becoming a bizarre taupe-y grey in little patches. But I wouldn't let one bad shadow out of five deter you from buying such an excellent neutral palette! 7.5/10.

on 7/29/2014 7:07:00 PM

This is a perfect everyday eye shadow palette and I have kept it my everyday makeup bag ever since I bought it.
For me one of the best things is the packaging. It is sleek and compact which is surprising when compared to the unneeded bulk of the other naked palettes. It can easily be fit into a makeup bag making it perfect for traveling which is a priority for me.
There are only 6 shadows making it the smallest of the naked palettes, however all of the shades save venus are completely matte. I prefer working with matte shadows but it is hard to find quality one that are chalky and urban decay delivers. I love all of the shadows however I find faint can be a bit patchy and difficult to work with.
My main complaint with this is price. Compared to other more expensive brands this isn't an expensive palette but I feel that when compared to other naked palettes it seems a bit pricey. At $28 naked basics is just over half the price of the other naked palettes which makes sense given it contains half the shadows. However with the bigger palettes you receive an extra such as a brush or eyeliner making those a better value.
Overall I recommend this palette to anyone who is looking for either a good neutral everyday palette or quality matte shadows. It will not disappoint.

on 7/24/2014 2:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love it. I use it every day.

Packaging is sleek and tight and not matte. I use mirror for all my makeup routine as it opens wide all the way (not like hourglass ambient light palette). There's lots of product it it. Use it, close it, forget about it till the next time.

Eyeshadow quality is outstanding: highly pigmented, blends like heaven, applies smoothly and does not fall off of the brush even with the fluffiest brush. Can be applied wet (has the same color intensity as applied dry (!)). You get exaclty the color you see. Staying power is also very good. I have very oily eyelids and it does need a touch up during the day as all eteshadows do, so no miracles here.

Overall I am glad that I bought it. I use it for my eyes as well as for countouring and for my brows all the time. It's my go to palette. If you're looking for high quality product in excellent packaging for a reasonable price take Naked Basics!

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Simple Daily Makeup Tutorial (Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette) by Anna Boroshok

Top Rated Urban Decay Products