April 23, 2014 | 1316 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:30:00 PM More reviews by katautumn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

During the Holidays, everyone in my beauty inner circle wanted to know if I planned on purchasing the new Naked3 palette with my Christmas money. I really gave this a lot of thought, but I decided not to for a couple of reasons. The first being that I already have similar rosy gold neutral shimmer shades in other brands. What I really needed were some basic matte neutrals, something my collection of shadows was severely lacking. So, I went to Ulta and they had up at the registers the Naked Basics display. I bought it and fell in love instantly.

There are six shades in this palette: Venus (the only demi-matte in the palette), Foxy, W.O.S. (Walk of Shame), Naked2, Faint, and Crave. Foxy and W.O.S. are the only two shades in this palette that aren't Basics exclusives. This palette retails for $27 and, unlike its larger counterparts, it does not come with a brush or any of the Primer Potion samples.

Let's go over the pros and cons of this palette:

*PROS*
~The soft, buttery texture most of us have come to know and love from UD.
~Excellent color payoff.
~Little to no fallout. I know this isn't as much of an issue with mattes, but still. There is virtually no powder left behind after sweeping a brush across these.
~The compact is super sturdy, very sexy with a high quality generous size mirror inside and a cool rubberized outer case. It's also small enough to carry in your purse or makeup bag.
~For those who don't have it in their budget to purchase any of the full-size Naked palettes, this is a more affordable product while still getting the luxe quality of Urban Decay eye shadows.
~It's super versatile. If you had only a tube of mascara and a lipstick you could add this palette and create any look you could imagine. Crave can be used wet or dry as a liner color. Venus makes a gorgeous highlight. Naked2 or Faint can be used to color in eyebrows.
~I love that the names are printed under the pans.

*CONS*
~I found that with these, even when using a good primer on my lids, they require a light hand. They don't blend out as easily as their shimmery eyeshadows, so it's better to build up crease intensity.
~The three lightest shades are very similar in color. In fact, besides the slight shimmer to Venus, it's really hard to tell them apart when swatched.
~I wish it had come with a small brush. I wasn't expecting a Sigma quality, full-size, double-ended brush in this palette, but maybe a shorter application brush would have been a nice and convenient bonus.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/21/2014 2:22:00 PM More reviews by lakshana1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like how this palette is all matte is accept one. I get use out of this palette everyday and the shade crave and the matte brown are really good as eyeliners. I wish the w.o.s shade and foxy shade were more pigmented. This palette is a must have for travel. The packaging is really sturdy. If you are new to makeup and want to invest in a high end palette this is a great option. I love this palette and really recommend it

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2014 2:12:00 AM More reviews by GirlyGirl143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like my naked basics palette but find that I do not reach for it as often as my other palettes. None the less, this palette is ideal for travel because you can get any look from a very basic every day eye to an intense smokey eye for a night out.

All of the colors are very pigmented, smooth and blend well.

I am very fair, NW10, and I have to say that W.O.S and Foxy do not show up super bright on me. However, I do use all of the colors except for Foxy because it is a bit too yellow for my liking.

Venus = vanilla cream white, matte
Foxy = neutral yellow matte
W.O.S = neutral yellow matte
Naked 2 = taupe brown matte
Faint = warm chocolate brown matte
Crave = deep, dark brown/black with itty bitty sparkle, still matte on the skin

For UD makeup this palette is very well priced, i spent $27 for mine over a year ago and I have barely made a dent. I gave only 1 lippie for packaging because I find it very hard to open and it can easily ruin a good manicure. I gave 4 lippies overall because I do not like every single color. If I ran out I would probably buy it again because it is truly a decent collection of matte neutrals that is inexpensive and not bulky to carry around.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2014 1:00:00 AM More reviews by eyesarahclops

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The matte shades give the perfect natural look. Love this palette!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by leahmarie365

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love this palette. It is my everyday palette and it has such good natural colors. I love the creaminess of the shadows. They apply so easily! The packaging is great and protects it! I know people have complained about the smell, and it definitely smells interesting, but it doesn't bother me. The only way I smell it is when I put my face to close or something like that. I think it's pretty good price, saying that other Urban Decay singles are more than half of this. I will repurchase it (if I ever run out! I haven't even made a dent yet!)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 5:28:00 PM More reviews by darlingvikki2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this for Christmas and I absolutely love it!! It is great for everyday wear and travel. I use the black shade as eyeliner and just dip it in water and it goes on so smooth. The only problem I have is that foxy doesn't really show up on my skin because I am olive with yellow undertones but I use it more to blend with the other colors. Definitely an HG palette totally worth the price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by dirtyblondeee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

i love this kit!! i was tempted to buy the full size Naked pallete, but I decided on this one because I felt these colors I'd use more. I usually don't wear a lot of eye shadow, and when I do, its either nudes or a smoky eye. this compact gives me everything I need for any look I go for. I use WOS (Walk of Shame) all over the lid, and Venus under the brow bones and on my lower lashes for my day to day look. I would repurchase this again, but I don't think I'll have to for quite some time as these are highly pigmented and will last a lonnnng time. in a perfect world it'd be a bit cheaper, but for higher end products, its actually on the affordable side, so I can't complain too much.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2014 4:43:00 PM More reviews by dstar12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have the original Naked palette and definitely use this one more often lately. I've recently been wearing less makeup, and the matte shades in this palette are perfect for completing a natural look.

I think, though, that this palette could be improved: First, the w.o.s and foxy shadows (light yellow-ish and light pink) look exactly the same on my pretty fair skin. It would be useful to have something slightly different. Second, to me, the black shadow doesn't make sense in this palette. I know the point of the palette is to give you six basic shadows to act as the base for any look, but a black eyeshadow just seems out of place compared to all the other natural colors.

In any case, I do like this and will get a lot of use out of it. UD should do more matte palettes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 6:01:00 PM More reviews by JenniferBalesteri

This is the only eyeshadow palette in my makeup bag, I can't even remember when I bought it, use it every day and it never fails! The only color I don't use is "Faint".

The color pigmentation, range of colors, staying/non-creasing power is tops!
I use WOS (walk of shame) mostly, then Foxy, Venus for inner eye, browbone brightening, and the darkest (Crave) to line my brows, prior to my Gimme Brow.

I would LOVE to just be able to purchase WOS, b/c I use that one the most, but I would def repurchase this short palette! Gets 5 Lippies for overall everything!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Sagerina

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just got this in the mail and i already love it! My mother has the Naked 1 and it's nice but honestly I wouldn't use all the colors, so i decided to buy this one, plus I prefer matte. My only problem with this is that it is hard for me to open, I have to dig my nail into the lock thingy, but other than that I love the packaging and how soft it is.