MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

If you are looking for a bright red or a true red, this is not it. Although their website describes it as a "vivid bright bluish-red" I did not find this to be the case. It is a lighter version of a brick red and is sheer. For me, I found it to be a very cheap looking red and the finish left much to be desired. This is not that old-time Hollywood glamour or pin-up girl type red. It is not vibrant so don't think this will be one of those bright lip colors that are in now that brighten up your face. Definitely not "candy apple red" but more like that deep dark red you see on clowns (I'm not saying that to be mean but that's really what it's like). For reference, I tried this when I had red hair (like Ariel/Little Mermaid) and you could really see that the lipstick was a dark crimson color compared to my hair. Also, the color seeps and spreads which is NOT the case with all red lipsticks so it must be this specific shade/formula - or maybe because of the sheerness I applied too much and that's why it got messy. Hope this helps anyone looking for the right red thinking this might be the one.

on 5/21/2011 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

HG red! I tried this on at mac but decided to wait and see if I liked it before buying. I loved it but got back to find the store had closed! I tried at another store but they were out of stock and even online- that's gotta be saying something! Anyways, I finally got it in the end and let me say this is beautiful! Blue based, very vintage looking in my opinion. The finish is satin so its lovely on your lips. Non-drying and very smooth with the light vanilla scent so its a pleasure to apply. I'm nc40 for reference.

on 4/3/2011 1:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I am of dark complexion African American. I am guessing, but I think I have blue undertones. This is an awesome red lipstick on me. I get many compliments every time I wear it, compliments from men and women alike. It has long staying power on me. I work 9+ hour days and it definitely remains after eating and drinking. I have worn it with and without a liner. I prefer it with a liner. I always wear a gloss on top (Dazzleglass Bare Necessity by Mac). It does not have a natural shine, it is more matte. I wear a gloss b/c I LOVE shine. Maybe I should try the Brave red by the Cremesheen line for additional shine. I would highly recommend for a sexy, real red look. Very clean. Very red.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was looking for a red lipstick that didn't leave me looking like I work the street corner. I went to my local MAC counter and asked the S/A which one she would recommend for my NW20 skin tone. I explained my situation to her, that I've tried other brands of lipstick and many of them were either "hooker/clown red", or looked red in the tube but upon application was more magenta. She suggested that I try this. I had her apply it at the store and wasn't sure whether or not I liked it. So I bought it and tried it at home in different lighting. I wasn't in love with the way that it looked, mainly because it had an orangey tint to it? (or maybe it's just me). So sadly, I returned it and asked for Russian Red, of which they were out of.

I found one that I do like, and is cheaper, but I'm the type that can never have just one of something (which may explain why I'm lacking in the financial department).

I hope this helps any one who isn't sure of whether or not to purchase this!

on 1/1/2011 9:31:00 AM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Yesterday I tried it for my first time and it stayed on really good but after a few hours it did show some red peels over my lower lip. Perhaps next time I should hydrate more my lips (they were a bit dry and peeled). Nevertheless, cool lipstick!

on 11/20/2010 11:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

I became a real MAC addict since today! bought it and i like it wayy more then russian red! matches great with MAC'S rougemarie :-D

on 10/23/2010 10:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is such a beautiful color, and it stays on FOREVER! But in the end it was just too drying on my lips.

on 10/23/2010 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is seriously red. Like, red all the way. It's not an orange red, or a yellow red, or a burgundy red, or a wine red, or a brown red, or a plummy read, or a blue red. Ok, you know how when you see a naked person you're like "wow, they're naked"? This is how surprisingly and even shockingly red this is. And satiny/glossy as well. Not for everyday use (for me at least), but boy will this shout out "look at me, I'm stark naked!" - I mean, stark red. Damn, that's what they should have named it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My HG red, I have Russian red but its too drying on my lips. This not as dry as Russian red and it has more of a pink undertone and nice sheen compared to Russian red and is more flattering on me compared to Russian red. Mac red works well with my mixed Chinese and European light/olive skin and jet black hair. Only thing is it expensive at $36 Australian a pop. Ladies be warned u need a good quality lip brush to apply unless u are very good at applying lipstick straight from the tube, I have the Mac 316 lip brush however it isn't as good as my liner brush that is made in Australia.

on 9/27/2010 11:29:00 PM

My first red lipstick and my favourite! NC10-15 and I feel like a pin-up model in this! doesn't bleed or cry out my lips. It is very intense with my pale skin so I don't use this for every day wear. I love it. Total sex-pot lipstick

Popular Lipsticks