April 16, 2014 | 879 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo 24hr Cream Gel Shadow in Tough as Taupe

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2013 1:14:00 AM More reviews by beautycalls09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This wasn't taupe on me at all--more like a matte blue-gray. It applied really patchy and I couldn't get it to blend to save my life--it ended up flaking off like dry skin. I'll try it again with a primer under it, but this one's a fail.
I did buy this in Bad to the Bronze and the application is MUCH better, so maybe it's something to do with how matte this shade is.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2013 5:06:00 AM More reviews by ylingsbling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes I love this!!!!!!! Its shows up gray-blue on me. Not taupe. So it was a surprise that its not tan. On olive asian skin, it is as close to a natural gray blue that is flattering. I have 3 of these tattoos, this is the only one I love! Its creamy and blends nicely! Beautiful look!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2013 10:30:00 PM More reviews by lca1987

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The product itself is really great... good consistency, easy to apply, and long lasting. I didn't like the color on me... it came off as more of a gray color than what I would consider taupe. If you're looking for a gray, then I would definitely recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2013 9:09:00 AM More reviews by kmg85

Surprisingly great drugstore product! These are very comparable to MACs paintpots. The only difference is that MACs blend a little better.
I only have the colour Tough as Taupe, but am planning on purchasing a brighter colour for summer.
I apply an eyeshadow primer underneath, because without it the product will crease...whereas the paintpots don't.
I like using Tough as Taupe all over the lid (I apply it with a synthetic shadow brush) then I apply MAC eyeshadows in Kid and Soft Brown into my crease. Then I apply MACs Dazzlelight into my innercorners and browbone. I have gotten lots of compliments on this look!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 11:57:00 AM More reviews by kgloverii

I'm super pale, and I'll be honest, this color, alone, on my eye, looks like someone punched me. A big bruised eye. BUT, I don't use it for the color, I use it as a base. I can load up any color on top of it (I love it under a shimmery pale pink), and my eyeshadow LASTS ALL DAY. It has lasted through swimming!! Go figure!
I have tried all of the primers. I loved Urban Decay, but this whips this primer 100%.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2013 11:34:00 AM More reviews by peachykeen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yet another rave review for this product. I've used MAC Paint Pots and the MUFE Aqua Creams, while this particular Color Tattoo isn't as creamy as those other products, for the price point and the color payoff, you really can't go wrong.

This is a matte color, and on some skin tones I can see why some may not like the look of it. It can look a bit ashy and flat.

I don't have oily lids, so I can use this without a primer and it will stay on 13++ hours and still look as good as it did in the morning after application.

I use MUFE make up remover to get rid of it - soak a cotton pad and let it sit on your eyelid for a few seconds before gently wiping it off. This stuff doesn't wipe off easily!

Thank you to those of you who said it was a great eyebrow filler - you were right, I usually use powder but that comes off so easily . This is a perfect color and lasts ages.

Would I buy again? Absolutely. In fact, I think I need more colors now.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2013 7:47:00 AM More reviews by waasp

The product dries out so fast and it's hard to control how much you pick up and it applies patchy and creases even with primer on very oily eyelids. Wouldn't purchase again. The colour is nothing like how it looks in the glass on your skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2013 9:49:00 PM More reviews by sabrinalovesmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I own a lot of these color tattoos and I have to say I love them! They are really good to be from the drug store!! I would tell anyone to give these a try!only 5 dollars at Walmart!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2013 9:45:00 PM More reviews by amtn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

For reference, I am an NC20-25, Bourjois Healthy Mix 52, so I do consider myself to be on the paler side. This was $7 at Chemist Warehouse in Sydney. Usually it is $12 at Priceline.

I have been using this everyday for a week and I can now say, it is a great, versatile product. The colour is ugly, yes but if you give it a goood shot, it can do wonderful things for you. Pigmentation is great, so great the colour is evidently ugly. On my skin tone, it pulls a mushroom grey, hint of brown colour when blended out. Heavily swatched though, I look bruised. The purple tones show through when heavily swatched and as someone wrote, it does look like wet concrete. On my eyelids, I would not use this alone but as a base for other shimmery/satin eyeshadows it works wonderfully! I blend out a thin layer across my eyelid. A second layer through my crease, blended out. Then I apply any boring beige eyeshadow (Urban Decay's Virgin or Wet N Wild "Browbone" colours) for example. My look is transformed. The colour looks great due to the dimension created by the base Tough As Taupe. I use this technique with all my eyeshadow now. It saves time from using 2-3 eyeshadows to define crease, outter-V etc plus it looks like I put a lot of effort into my eye makeup.

Other uses which have worked for me include:
Contouring hallows of cheeks - sometimes I mix this with my foundation to concoct a ashy colour, I then use this to contour my face!
Contouring nose
Filling in brows
Gel eyeliner on top lid.
Eyeliner gently applied in bottom lash line. Nice definition without looking obvious. Just fuller looking lashes.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2013 3:37:00 AM More reviews by PaperAlias

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a matte, cool grayish taupe cream shadow. This one seems to be a bit drier than the Color Tattoos I have with shimmer (Bad to the Bronze and Audacious Asphalt), so it's a little harder for me to blend with fingers (a brush makes it a little easier).

I like to use this to define my crease or outer corner, as a lid color for a smokey eye, or as a base for powder shadows in a similar color family. This will crease on me after a few hours without a primer, but on primed lids this stays put all day.

When I heard about this I thought it could replace my MAC Paint Pot in "Quite Natural" but this shade is much cooler. Very gray; it doesn't look as flattering on my warm skin tone all by itself, but I think it's a nice transition color and base color.

Fairly inexpensive; USD$6-$9. No scent. Lovely glass jar packaging. I think the quality is good for a drug store product. I think I would repurchase again because I like using it with other shadows.