October 23, 2014 | 1938 users online

Eye Shadow - Maybelline - Color Tattoo - Tough as Taupe

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2013 12:17:00 AM More reviews by Kalady

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE (8/7/2014)
Man, do I love me some eyebrows. Over the past few months I've gotten even more obsessed with the brows, and now my technique has also improved a bit. This is a really quick and effective brow product now for me- one of my previous gripes about it. The pot itself seems to last ad infinitum- mine hasn't dried out, if not shrunk a bit. This is definitely my go-to brow product when I want my makeup to last- whether at prom, while swimming, on a hot day, while working out, etc. Definitely still the best match for my brows color-wise as well, and I highly recommend it for any brunettes or blondes with very cool-toned brows. Still love it.

_________
The Basics:
PROS: inexpensive, complex color, solid packaging, lots of product, travel-friendly, long-lasting, PERFECT BROW COLOR FOR COOL-TONED BRUNETTES
CONS: extremely quick drying time, difficult to control the opacity of the color, can appear chalky on the eyelids
Tough as Taupe is a beautiful grayish-brown with a bit of purple, and on the lids it appears a cool, purple-toned gray. I bought this product thinking that I would use it as an all-over lid color for some quick definition... Unfortunately, for a very fair, mascara-lip-balm-and-concealer kind of girl, this color was a little too statement/makeup-y for my everyday liking, as beautiful as it is. I had no idea what to do with it. Interestingly enough, I had recently gotten more into filling in my brows as a way to keep my makeup natural but polished, but I could not find a brow color to suit me. I'm very fair with dark hair, and my eyebrows near black-brown. All the brow colors I had - the Wet 'n' Wild kit, the Coastal Scents set, the Japonesque Brow Kit - were far too brown and far too warm, making my brows look suspiciously unnatural and reddish. I decided to try this on my brows and voila - a match made in heaven. This is totally undetectable (even on my fair skin and gaps in my brows), it dries matte, and it doesn't rub or smear. I love it. Make sure to remove the majority from the brush before doing the front of the brow (so it doesn't look too artificial), and blend with a spoolie as you go (as it dries quickly). Besides brows, this color is great on the lids, crease, or as liner so long as you work quickly and blend before it sets- because man, when it sets, it stays forever. Overall, very wonderful, versatile product. 4/5

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 6:13:00 PM More reviews by annhf24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This color is very matte and difficult to blend, but it works perfectly when used with a little of the shimmery white Color tattoo to smooth it out. I have oily eyelids, and I do find it creases if I don't use a primer first. I use a the Too Faced eye primer in the blue tube, let it set, then use the Taupe in my crease / as a contour, and use the shimmery white to blend it and in the inner corners. After letting that set, I put a little eyeshadow powder on top, and it seriously lasts all day and all night long.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2013 7:34:00 PM More reviews by AleMarisol1212

I was ready to throw this away, BUUUT...I decided to read the reviews in here and give it a last try, tough as taupe to me is too dry and uneven , but I tried it on my eyebrows and it's perfect !!...no wearing off..before giving up on this one try it on eyebrows, it's great!..:-)

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/18/2013 11:49:00 PM More reviews by realitydust

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a few of the color tattoo shadows, expecting Tough as Taupe to be my favorite as I'm a sucker for taupes and muted browns. Well, first off, this shade is NOT a true taupe when applied as it looks in the container. It's a matte GREY (think Copperplate by MAC), which is okay, but not the taupey color I was expecting (something close to Groundwork paint pot). It does not apply as smoothly as the other shades, so I cannot wear this by itself as I was hoping to since it does not go on evenly and wears off quite easily. I guess I will use it as a neutral base for layering shadows, because this thing does not look flattering on its own; it gives a tired/sullen look almost.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by distinewatso123

Just like all of the other color tattoos, I like this best applied with my fingertips. It is a drier formula than the other color tattoos but it has held up just as well as the other shades I bought as the same time (well over a year ago). Tough as Taupe should be called Good Ol' Grey in my opinion as it is a perfect cool toned, matte grey (no brown that I can see) that can be worn alone for a simple, matte look (always over a primer for me) or topped with shadows if you want a look with shimmer. My quick 2 minute eye look lately has been a medium brown in the crease, Tough as Taupe on my lids topped with a shimmery shadow (MAC Grand Entrance 90% of the time), liner, & mascara. If you want a quick, wearable "smokey eye" apply Tough as Taupe on your lid, a grey/black shadow in the outer corner, blend everything out with the crease color of your choice, add liner & mascara and you are good to go.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:23:00 AM More reviews by surfinjan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy the few color tattoos that appear as matte or satin. They are the easiest to apply from the set and the matte base it provide enables any color going over these to pop - both in color and in texture.

Tough as Taupe can also serve as a one-and-go shadow on the lid, providing either a smoky finish or a very sheer hint of color to the lid. Highly blendable and buildable - however, as a cream, you'll want to watch the degree to which you build if you have oily eyelids. It can also be used as a crease shade for many fairer skinned individuals (I range from NC40 to NC44, depending on sun exposure and product used).

I prefer these to MAC paint pots. For me, the MAC paint pots crease but the Maybelline color tattoos do not. Maybelline Color Tattoo cost less as well. Very versatile but I had not rate them only a 4 on the packaging as they are sold in glass containers that are not practical for travel or busy, somewhat clumsy individuals like myself. That being said, I had one drop about 32 inches last night and the jar did not crack.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by ellejay1616

Unfortunately cream eyeshadows do not work for me as my lids are very oily! Even if I use NARS eye primer under it I still see creasing by the end of the day. I wish I loved it because the colour is nice and very buildable. If I want it sheer I can do it, if I want it darker and bolder I can do that too. It does fade throughout the day, and with my oily lids it fades considerably. I do like to wear this under my lashline, or for a very simple barley there look I grab a angled brush and line my top lashline with this. The colour is nothing incredible, except the fact that it's matte and from the drugstore! I do LIKE the colour, and I'm sure the formula works for those with normal skin/lids. I would not repurchase just because it doesn't work my skin type, and I can replicate the barely there liner look with a powder eyeshadow. I don't think I'll ever be in a position to have to repurchase it because I barely use it and if I do it's only a little bit, so I probably won't run out haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tough as Taupe isn't super sexy or exciting, but I keep picking it back up. It's great for my everyday, I-totally-just-woke-up-like-this look that I can slap on without even thinking about it. It's a cream, not a shimmer, and goes on the lids a greyish brown. Some other reviewers have compared it to mud - that's not far off, but it turns out mud looks pretty good on my eyes. I use just a little bit all over the lid, building it up a little more towards the lashline and then blending it out at the crease. Sometimes I add liner, but that by itself gives my eyes some natural looking definition, and with a little mascara it's the perfect subtle work makeup. I have also used an eyeliner brush to blend a little onto my lower lashline, and it looks nice and soft, and not overly "done".

The texture is much dryer than some of the other Color Tattoos I own, and I've had the best luck applying it with my EcoTools concealer brush - the brush picks up a good amount of product, and it applies smoothly and evenly, then I finish blending it out with a fingertip. I have tried using another primer underneath, but it just seemed to make it harder to blend out. I get 4-6 hours before it creases, but since I usually wear it by itself, I can blend it out with a finger and keep it looking neat for a full work day.

Knocked off a point for the creasing and the dryer texture, but it's a solid workhorse that I keep on hand for those crazy panicked mornings (like, at least three times a week.)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

For those having trouble blending these shadows, try using Sonia kashuk's duo fibre eye shadow brush. It works like a mini MAC 187--perfect for creams. I've been using Jessie's girl or fergie for WnW as a primer under cream/liquid shadows lately, and my supremely oily eyelids are crease-free for a good 8 hours.

Tough as taupe really went above and beyond the competitors by being double-duty. I have tried and set aside both benefit cream shadow and MAC paint pots, but I enjoy color tattoos. On my dark brown brows (neutral), tough as taupe is surprisingly awesome. It also makes a great base for my new favorite eyeliner, rimmel taupe. Wonderful combo for a bottom lash liner.

Even the packaging is wonderful, very sturdy. Highly recommended, for brows and eyes!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by songy67

I'm an NC15, dark brown hair. I use Tough as Taupe on my eyebrows and it works phenomenally well. It's a great match, looks extremely natural, and stays put all day even on my oily skin. I had been eyeing the MUFE Aqua Brow when I realized all I needed was a matte cream product with neutral undertones. This product is waterproof as well and much cheaper than MUFE. For those who find it too "muddy" as an eyeshadow, might I suggest re-purposing it for your brows?

I personally enjoy it as an eyeshadow too and find it works very well with my skin tone. It's beautiful on its own and I tend to sheer it out all over the lid and build it up a bit in the outer crease. I also smudge it onto the outer corner of my lower lashline to enhance my eyes and give them depth. I find the best way to apply is with my fingers, which gives me the most control over both placement and color intensity. I tap it on first to place the color, then use a light touch to blend.

The first one I got months ago hasn't dried out on me yet. I store these on the side and once in a while I will take a clean tissue and wipe away a thin layer so the product stays creamy and easy to work with. It's such a good buy. I would recommend this to anyone.