January 24, 2015 | 1917 users online

Brows - Maybelline - Master Shape

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by materialface

I thought I would end up loving this brow pencil, but I guess not. I purchased this several months ago, and I still have just less than half of it left.

- because this isn't a wooden pencil, it is EXTREMELY difficult to sharpen, even with my handy NARS sharpener.
- once i do get it sharpened, its always a retarded shape and never pointed enough. the formula of the kohl is too creamy because it seems like its mostly wax
- I do love that there is a spooly at the other end, you will definitely need to use it as the wax from this pencil clumps your brow hairs together and FLATTENS them which I can't stand.
- the color range of these pencils is very limited. If you're asian with sparse black hair and you want a LIGHT brown pencil but not necessarily blonde, just light brown, you're out of luck with these pencils. I bought the dark brown pencil and its way too dark for a natural look.
I won't be repurchasing this

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 7:04:00 PM More reviews by oneclassy_broad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Absolutely love this eyebrow pencil! Probably my HG unless I find something better! I was surprised at the amount of bad reviews but regardless this product has worked for me. It has a waxy consistency and glides on very smooth, no need to add too much pressure to get the product to glide on. Gives a natural look, and it keeps my eyebrows in place. Fills in my eyebrows nicely and makes it easy to shape! I have had no problem sharpening this product as others have complained about and I use a crappy sharpener at that! Love it! Only thing I would say that might be a downfall is that I feel like I go through these pencils super quick!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:13:00 PM More reviews by trish7210

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh...it's hard to decide where to start with this.

I usually use Define-a-brow, but the dark brown color is a little too warm for me, and it's becoming increasingly hard to find. (it's always missing at Target) I decided to stick with the same brand and try the Master Shaper in Deep Brown. The color is great. It's a nice and dark brown, suitable for cool-toned brows. It doesn't seem to have much, if any red tones. Awesome. The little brush on the end is also awesome. It puts brows right into place, especially since the pencil formula is a bit waxy and holds brows nicely. Again, awesome. However, there are big downfalls, too. Like most have said, this is a PLASTIC pencil.....that you sharpen. Awkward. I mean....why in the makeup god's name..?! I have no idea. So besides being the worst design ever, it doesn't have incredible staying power, either. I rectify this by setting my brows with a bit of brow powder, but I don't feel like I should have to do this. Amazing color and nice formula, but seriously.....it's like a caveman designed this pencil, so I won't buy it again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by joongielover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

if only i have come on to read reviews because i was really confused about how i could get more product. sharpening plastic? really, maybelline? that is a bunch of BS. i couldn't comprehend that initially and now i'm going to return this.

i'm asian and have black/deep dark brown hair and it's difficult to find a dark brown without red in it. i love the color (deep brown) and i don't mind the waxiness, nor (what some people dislike) lack of pigmentation. i don't use enough to feel how waxy it could be, and i like that it's not a strong color right off the bat. i have visible brows which aren't too full (and i fill it in with something everyday) and so this gives the perfect amount of color for mine.

with that said, because of this ridiculous packaging, which is not convenient or efficient at all, i will be returning this and continuing my use of rimmel's easy brow in black brown (which i can't find anymore so that's why i was trying to find an alternative. this maybelline one is more expensive but more easily accessible. and i thought it would be easy because i thought it is retractable. nope.) maybelline has been really disappointing me with their eyeliners/pencil products

rated 3 of 5 on 2/28/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by cassblondie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The first time I tried this, I loved it! I have the light brown shade and it matches my dark blonde eyebrows perfectly. The nice point kept the pencil precise. But, when it came time to sharpen, what a mess! Who the heck sharpens plastic!? And no I'm not getting a "special" sharpener online. After the first use, I ended up with a dull pencil. I tried to sharpen it, but it doesn't really work. The nice sharp, defined point was gone so the application ends up too thick and waxy. I think with this formula you need a defined point. Plus, I end up being scratched by sharp pieces of plastic. Definitely some of the worst packaging I have ever seen.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by vinniewhat

I have this product in Deep Brown, and it works really well on my Asian brows, no red at all. The problem I encountered was that the product is incased in plastic. I knew I was going to get it everywhere and make a mess of the pencil if I sharpened it, so what I've done is take the pencil apart (yank off the spoolie, then yank off the plastic cap). I then squish a q-tip and pushed it up the pencil slowly, until more product comes out the top! Viola! Then I set my brows with a dark brown eyeshadow. I quite like doing this as you don't get any product wasted inside the sharpener. Haha you can tell I was desperate to get to the product. Product is quite expensive for the amount of stuff you get, it's around $14 AUS.. watch out for specials though, Priceline always has it's products on sale.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by cosmeticjunky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I agree with everyone on the sharpening. For a makeup company as big as maybelline it's absolutely ridiculous to have a product in a plastic tube and expect people to know that you can sharpen it with a sharpener when historically, that's never been the case. Hey, Maybelline, how's about some directions on The package! Now with that being said, I will still repurchase this product. I've used every brow definer out there and usually hate them. Powder looks more natural but is almost impossible to use alone and get the definition you want. Pencils from drug store to department store always end up way too harsh, you may as well draw them on with a Sharpie. This product however (once you get it out) seems to have nailed it. It's a pencil so I can draw the shape I want but it doesn't look like you drew your eyebriws on, it looks very natural like powder. In my opinion, Great product, horrific packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/13/2013 12:13:00 AM More reviews by rainydays1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I doubt that I'll repurchase this. I like the color a lot. It's hard for me to find something that leans more toward red hair since I have auburn hair and light brown almost red eyebrows. I'm so glad that someone posted about how to sharpen this pencil because it's encased in a plastic sheath and I was so confused and kept trying to twist the pencil but I guess I'll try sharpening?

Great color, thicker line than I'm used to and not sure about the consistency but I agree with another reviewer that loved the spoiliee. I agree, it's a great tool but what a shame that I just spent $10 on something that I can't take back and I'm not too excited about. Not sure if I'll even use it that much...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 3:29:00 PM More reviews by lygophilia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I was so excited to buy this product in 'Auburn' as it's hard finding a redhead friendly brow product at the drugstore. I really wish I would of read the reviews on MUA as it could of saved me $8! Probably the worst brow product I've tried in awhile as it's extremely waxy greasy, lacks pigmentation, difficult to apply as the tip is thick and not precise, and migrates and smears all day. Complete fail!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 6:07:00 AM More reviews by Ciaofiore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I had to google what to do with this pencil...can it be sharpened? Am I supposed to twist the product up? As it turns out, you can sharpen it with a normal pencil sharpener. Good to know, since I forced myself to give it another try. And yep, still horrible. The brown color is good, they got that right. But it is waxy, the point is too wide to fill in the sparse areas of my brows, and the staying power is horrible. The spoolie on the end is the only reason this is not in the trash, I use that. Blech, I wish I had read the reviews before I even tried. Lesson learned.