December 20, 2014 | 1661 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2011 3:30:00 AM More reviews by clp53

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It changed color on my face where my skin is more oily :s soo embarassing . It went darker on my forehead and nose, I looked ORANGE. Gross, never use it again

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by MandySaysHaii

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I put this product on over my NYC Smooth and Natural Matte Powder Foundation last night when i went out, and when i got home, i barely had a shine to my face! :) its non-comedogenic so it wont clog your pores and its oil-free. Ive used this product for a day, and so far im happy with it! :) as of right now i will repurchse.
If anything changes i'll write an update!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2011 2:46:00 PM More reviews by sillychicken

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I can give a comparison to MAC Blot Powder which I used for a few years.

This powder has a more natural look to it than Blot. Blot would start to look cakey after re-applying the 2nd or 3rd time of the day and this powder doesn't do that, Blot would oxidize on my skin as the day wore on and take on a orange hue and this powder doesn't change color, Blot would cause my skin to look oilier when I wore it (maybe it increased oil production?) and this powder doesn't, I had to remove Blot after a few hours with a wipe and then reapply to keep it from getting that cakey oxidized look but with this powder I just use blot sheets and reapply lightly to t-zone as needed. I like the color Translucent for my fair skin because it blends in so well that you can't even see it vs. in MAC the Medium looked "dirty" especially in photos and although the next shade Light was a closer match to my skin it was more heavy/chalky looking. This powder doesn't really add any color but it does get rid of the oily look especially from using sunblock so my skin looks the same color except matte.The only thing better about the Blot was that the compact was well made and more presentable for times when I need to whip it out to check something in my eye or whatever in public while the NYC compact is cheap looking with the way the logos are plastered all over the front cover and doesn't have a proper hinge (the compact in the photo looks a lot better with a more discreet logo than the one I bought which has shiny silver words covering most of it).

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by XsqueegeeX

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What ISN'T there to like about this powder? Super affordable, doesn't cake on my super oily skin (of course I use oil blotters first to remove the excess oil before applying), does a decent job at keeping the oil at bay, and it doesn't look/ turn yellow or orange on my super pale skin! So much cheaper than the M.A.C. blot powder, yes it isn't as fine in texture, but for the price? I can live with that (:

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2011 11:42:00 PM More reviews by ashleycohen3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's too pink-toned. I am very yellow (similar to an Asian female) and this just makes my face look pink in natural lighting. Don't get this if you are warm-toned.

Also, I have used this for a while, and I am very oily. It wears off very quickly and that's a problem for an oily person like myself.

I'd recommend this for a dry/normal-skinned girls who have pink undertones. Otherwise, don't buy it. Seriously.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 8:10:00 PM More reviews by sarah1208

This is a great pressed powder, and you can't beat the price. The powder might look chalky on those with darker skin tones, but on me it looks great, and works very well at setting undereye concealer.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by darksunnygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a really smooth powder. It doesn’t look cakey or wear off easily. When used over luquid foundation it sets foundation for hours. It smells nice, comes in sleek but flimsy packaging. I have already repurchased. Great price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 3:03:00 PM More reviews by Juliet7781

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I used to use MAC Blot Powder until I tried this. It's the same translucent finish without the pricey tag. Also, I notice that this lasts a lot longer product-wise. I used to run out of Blot Powder almost every 3 months and I've been using my current compact for about 5. Definately worth giving a try if you like to use a pressed powder to combat oiliness throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/24/2010 2:50:00 PM More reviews by Jewelx17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use to like using only high end brands on my skin since I'm so acne prone and I can easily break out if I'm not careful about what I'm using. But lately I've realized you can still get skin-friendly products at the drugstore, you just have to be careful about reading the ingredients.
Also, I've been noticing how difficult it is to find a truly translucent powder. I like using translucent powders because I don't wear foundation but I also have to wear some kind of powder because my face is super oily. I was using Laura Mercier's setting powder but that costs $30! I just can't spend that kind of money anymore, with the economy I feel ridiculous. Other than the few like LM's, even if it says translucent it's not, it has some color in it. I understand why, it's to prevent the white chalkiness but LM's just disappears without adding color. Drugstore-wise, there is almost no products that carry translucent powders. This is one of the few that has a true colorless powder and it's comparable to LM's and for a lot cheaper at only $2.75! I bought this back in 2009 in Maui when I needed something cheap because I forgot my compact. And another positive is that the ingredients look pretty harmless and hasn't caused problems with my skin. It does leave the slightest grey cast right after application but that fades in 10 minuets or so, or at least it does with oily skin. Anyone with dry skin might want to opt for the one with color added. A definite find!
PS. I have the loose powder too which I also love and has now replaced my BE mineral veil which has no oil control and sucks! I use the loose first thing in the morning and carry the pressed version in my purse. I think I am going to stick to all drugstore brands from now on.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2010 3:01:00 PM More reviews by BananaPanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Ahhh. I was uber excited to get this product, from the reviews on here, and even before I bought it I started calling it "Heavenly Powder", because it sounded like everything I've wanted and more in a powder... and it is. It's just perfect. It's compressed which means that it's not gonna be goin' everywhere in your purse. It has a handy-dandy mirror. It shuts tightly and won't break. Though the pink sponge monstrosity is something that belongs in your trash can.

EDIT: found something better that helps with oil SO MUCH MORE. It keeps the oil at bay basically all day and it's packaging is better by about 100. It's by Maybelliene (or however you spell it...) and it's called Dream Matte Powder. Check it out!