Garnier Dark Spot Treatment

3.2

Aqua/Water, Glycerin, Ascorbic Acid (Pure Vitamin C), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Cyclohexasiloxane, Potassium Hydroxide, Dimethicone, Sodium Styrene/MA Copolymer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Alcohol, Benzylsalicylate, Biosaccharide Gum-1, Carbomer, Citral, Retinol, Citrus Medica Limonum Extract/Lemon Fruit Extract, Disodium EDTA, Gentiana Lutea Extract/Gentiana Lutea Root Extract, Geraniol, Glyceryl Caprylate, Hydroxyethylpiperazine Ethane Sulfonic Acid, Arbutin, Limonene, Linalool, Nylon-12, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Salicylic Acid, Sodium, Anisate, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Levulinate, Sodium Methylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Parfum/Fragrance

on 12/14/2012 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I really wish that I had more to say about this product. It's strange that I don't, seeing as I've been using it now for about 3-4 months and are finally coming to the end of my tube. Still, I'm just not sure that this product alone is to account for the dramatic change in my skin during those months.
The first week of using this, I had a very minor break out of tiny, slightly itchy red bumps across my forehead that soon became flesh colored and then disappeared altogether and never flared up again. So, I too can vouch for some of the claims that this causes break outs. I can imagine them being more severe for someone who is acne prone or extra sensitive. Please watch out if this describes you.
After the initial break out was gone, I did notice my skin looking a bit more bright than it had been before. Over time it seems like all of the more shallow reddish marks on my forehead have cleared completely yet the deeper, slightly indented brown marks on my cheeks still remain. They're fading slowly but I have the feeling that it's got more to do with time than this treatment. I kind of feel like the more shallow 'marks' I had were actually just irritation from products I had been using before switching to a more mild cleanser and this cream. However, my skin is DEFINITELY much less red and splotchy than it was prior to making those changes.
I like that unlike other 'fade' type products this one is not greasy and doesn't contain hydroquinone. It's also pretty readily available at most drugstores and the packaging is appropriate for a product of this type that can oxidize. It's got a serum type consistency that is neither extremely heavy nor too light. I still have to layer over it with another moisturizer at night as this can get kind of sticky if you use too much of it, but it's perfect for daytime if you plan on staying inside. It does have a smell that lingers and can be kind of strong. The closest thing I can compare the scent to is raw potatoes. Strange, I know.
Overall, I'm just not sure how I feel about this product. The vitamin C in this can't do anything but good for my skin but I doubt very seriously that it's done absolute wonders either. For the price, I'm just not sure that this is a justifiable re-purchase for me.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

When I first bought it, it had just come out and was a little expensive (18.99) but I immediately saw results for my acne spots after 2 weeks of using it. Continued using it but nothing seemed to change after that. My spots had become less prominent but it seems to stop working after about 2 weeks, like it can only fade it so far. Now I use it in hopes that it might be continuing to fade my dark spots, but I mostly use it as a moisturizer after washing my face.

I got a second one as a gift when they finally put it on sale for 13.99...so now I apply it more liberally because I know I have a second one. If you pile it on too thick, it makes your face feel a little greasy after an hour or two (not the bad kind of greasy...you still feel clean it's just weird)

If anything else, it can make your spots less prominent (of course it can't get rid of them completely). More natural remedies like lemon/exfoliation/green tea or drinking more water will give you better results.

on 12/7/2012 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

After using this every night and day for 6 months, my acne scarring lightened slightly, but probably not much more than if I had used nothing. I did end up stopping this at night because the orange stained my pillows.

I still have a lot left in the tube and won't use it.

In the past I have had better luck and faster results using a combo of philosophy's microdermabrasion treatment and Mario badescu's healing cream along with their whitening mask a couple times a week.

on 11/16/2012 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this bc I have very fair skin and am very prone to hyperpigmentation. I have oily skin and it did make me shiny, which I could live with bc practically everything does. however, this broke me out in big under the skin pimples. and it was def from this. im pretty sensitive to silicones and im sure that's why. if silicones aren't an issue for you, you could give it a try.. otherwise don't bother!

on 11/11/2012 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I'm pretty ambivalent to this product. I don't hate it, but I don't looooove it either. I use it once a day/AM as a serum after I wash my face, before putting on my moisturizer and it provides a nice moisturized feeling to my skin. I don't have super dark spots or uneven skin tone, but I have noticed that my skin looks brighter and it hasn't broken me out. My only gripe is that the metal tube sometimes can get little dents that causes product to escape (and the cream to oxidize to turn a brownish color). For the price, I have repurchased this at least twice but am keeping my options open.

on 11/5/2012 1:31:00 AM

After using this product after two weeks I decided it was not suitable for my skin as it made me break out around my mouth,cheeks and forehead,I guess it's not for people with sensitive skin.It did however start to lighten one or two dark hormonal spots I have and my skin felt so soft and silky,just a shame I had a bad reaction to it otherwise it would of been a winner!

on 10/21/2012 10:34:00 PM

I have a few dark spots from acne that I have here and there, nothing crazy. I decided to try this product because there was big rave about it and also because I had a $10 discount coupon. Any way, I've been using this product for over a month and has done absolutely nothing to my face. I feel like I'm putting it on just cause I need to finish it. But once I'm done I won't buy it again.

on 10/11/2012 4:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Having never used garnier products before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I'm so glad that I decided to give this a try. I've been using it for a month now (only at night) it fades newer scars quickly, has cleared up the redness on my cheeks & old acne scarring is significantly lighter! And not to mention it gives my skin the most wonderful healthy looking glow. Very happy :D

After the first application - LOVE.

Seeming it is nearly summer, I don't want to gain any more freckles! I purchased this, and after the first application... I was amazed.
My skin was vibrant, with no redness and it was silky smooth. My freckles had faded quite a bit, and so I was so happy!

I put it on day and night, and nothing else makes my skin feel fresh, awake, smooth, clean and energised!

It has helped my sun damage (hyperpigmentation) fade and my skin, it's just so clean looking! And feeling!

I have gone a week with no makeup having to hide anything thanks to it. It must be the Vitamin C in it that has helped my skin.

I will definantly be re purchasing again and again!

on 9/27/2012 6:34:00 AM

I've only been using it for two days so not so much of a comment about its effectiveness (or lack thereof) just yet - but I've spent all day sniffing at my hands / hair wondering what the weird odor I could smell was (I blamed it on a coconut oil mask that I put in my hair overnight) and it's totally this stuff! For some reason it starts to really reek on my skin after about 10 minutes.. Hoping I'll get used to it or it will fade with use - it's not offensive, just a weird, sorta grassy smell?

Review will change after I've been using it for longer :))

Popular Treatments (Face)