November 27, 2014 | 1484 users online

Fragrances - Auric Blends - Egyptian Goddess

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 11/6/2009 12:14:00 PM More reviews by mbm452

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I get horrible fragrance-related headaches and am constantly on a quest to find ones that don't trigger them. After trying another Auric Blends scent with luck, I figured natural oils were worth taking a better look at.

Everything I knew about it (including the name and logo) made me think I wouldn't like it. Musk? Woodsy notes? None of those sound like things I like. Yet once I smelled it, the descriptions made sense. For me, the standout adjectives would be fresh, natural, clean, and cozy though. (I don't pick up a much in the way of pencil shavings as some reviews mention.) A touch of the hippie chick about it, but thankfully just a touch.

To put it another way, I've always favored scents that smell "clean." This one does too, but in a totally different way, one that makes the others seem a little synthetic and antiseptic. This seems to radiate from the skin. I've smelled this and similar notes on people before and never thought it was perfume. In that sense it feels a little too...personal to me--I don't really want people to think they're just picking up on a mixture of my soap and body chemistry, which is what this reminds me of, but better.

Fortunately--or not--this stuff wears pretty light on me. I'm pretty sure the only people who have ever noticed it are myself and my boyfriend. It also only lasts a few hours for me, hence the deducted lippie. And yet, I still love it. It's like slipping out of the shower and into nice pajamas.

EDIT: I've since tried Auric Blends Love and have come to prefer it in a big way. It's made with EG but also has a crisp, green layer that works to make it smell a little younger and more purposeful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2009 11:43:00 AM More reviews by auntnett

I love the Egyptian Musk scent of Karen's Body Beautiful products, but it doesn't last. I came here looking for something similar then looked for it at Whole Foods - I was actually looking for Kuumba (sp?), but they didn't have it. This smelled very similar to the KBB musk, so I bought a bottle for about $25. Smells good at first, but it doesn't last well at all on me. The bottle seeps oil no matter how tightly it's closed. It's just not worth the money. If the oil hadn't leaked all over the label, making it look old, I'd take it right back - plus I can't find the receipt, LOL.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2009 2:00:00 AM More reviews by dizzied

I think this smells nice. Musky, but easy on the nose. Most musks smell gnarly on me, but not this one. In a way, this scent is not far off from Philosophy's Amazing Grace. It has that same ambient, woman smell that stays close to the skin, wafting just enough. I wouldn't douse myself in this, because I find that my nose gets used to this scent very quickly and I can no longer guage how strong the throw is any longer. I wear this a lot, but I would refrain from wearing it to a job interview, lol.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2009 8:47:00 PM More reviews by lipsticknut

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Thought I'd try it after all the raves. But all I get is a rather cheap, synthetic, plasticky, cloying smell. And it's way, way too thick and sticky.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by Vixen7

I first found this at a Good Earth store in FL years ago and I have used it ever since. It's a perfect sultry musk that stays close to my skin leaving a wafty yummyness wherever I go.
Very sexy, I love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2009 10:04:00 PM More reviews by makeupchic70

I wanted to like this just because of the great reviews but...
#1 I was sniffing so much just to smell the product on my wrist. The scent is very, very, very mild to the point that you can hardly smell it. And,
#2 It is very oily. There is no way I am putting this on the pulse points my ears.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by youdroppedabalmonme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had originally rated this 3 stars because it's powdery, clean, white-musk-y and soft but not "sexy" or "goddess-like," and then I tried it as a base for another scent (Jovan Woman, to be exact) and holy moley, the combo is unbelievable! My husband said, "You smell really good!" and he is normally almost completely anosmic. Then I realized the true beauty of EG: wear it on its own as a soft musk skin-scent, or layer it with a spicier or chypre scent to give a gorgeously rounded fragrance experience that has both sillage and skin-scent, teasingly wrapped in one. I would describe Egyptian Goddess as a white musk without the usual sweetness--it even has a smoked-wood note to it that reminds me of snuggling by a campfire. Good stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2009 9:31:00 AM More reviews by dascha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought another bottle of this on ebay for five bucks, after getting one that I think was old or "off" somehow. Anyway, I couldn't smell it. Perhaps my nose has gotten better, because I do smell this one, and I really like it. The nearly universal raves are justified, I think. I've been looking for a very unobtrusive, non-perfume-y, clean but not laundry-detergent-smelling "work scent." It's been tough going. The other musks I've tried have been vetoed by my musk-hating husband. This one is technically a musk but it has a woody-resin-lead pencil quality that is quite unusual. The scent in general is difficult to describe, and I suspect, like most musks, it interacts quite a bit with one's body chemistry, so it's very subjective. I do not detect much sweetness or vanilla. On me it's quite dry. There is a touch of something softly fruity to my nose, but nothing overt. Seems like this one would be great for layering. Very nice and just what I was looking for.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2009 5:48:00 PM More reviews by bobbictx

I am soooo confused by the raves about this. I'm convinced I must have gotten a bad or rancid bottle or something. I'm not really *that* picky about scents, if it's sweet, but not too sweet, I'll probably like it. Even if I don't like it much, it's unlikely that I'd hate it.

That said, this stuff is awful. I got the roll on bottle, it was about $7 or so, and I had to pay another $6 for shipping, all for .75 oz of very sticky oil. When I put it on, it smells almost like bologna. After it fades some, it smells VERY similar to that generic Giorgio perfume that everyone wore in middle school in the late 80's. Then there's a VERY SLIGHT musk scent hiding under the cheapness.
I was expecting a sweet, musky sandalwood type scent, and I couldn't wait for it to arrive after the reviews, but I'm soooo disappointed.

I don't know if I should see if I can return this to drugstore.com, or throw it away, or what. And the oil is soo thick and sticky. Almost gummy even.

I don't get it.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2009 10:47:00 AM More reviews by redhead2000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like my musks super sweet. This isn't it. I really don't smell any musk. I detect some sort of "smokey" note that I do not care for--almost like a forest fire. The only good thing about this fragrance is that it is inexpensive, and the container is a roll-on. I think I'll stick to Kuumba Made.