December 21, 2014 | 1896 users online

Liquid - Illamasqua - Skin Base foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 12/1/2012 10:14:00 AM More reviews by ElectricBlack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I bought this product in SB12 since I got tired of my Chanel Perfection Lumiere (50BeigeClaire). Mind you I loved Chanel's coverage but it doesnt last on me, after 6 hours its gone and I do not like wearing primer on my combination skin since it feels too heavy.

The other con I have with Chanel was that it oxidises on me so Im done with covering my neck and face, what a waste of product.

So I went to my local Sephora in Toronto and bought this Illumasqua since it got loads of rave.

Pro: Great coverage and it lasted on my face all day.

Con: (probably not the producta fault but more the lady who matched me)...it was too damn dark! Thos foundation is also very thick and feels very heavy.

I might go back and try a different brand and also try this in a different shade. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 5:38:00 AM More reviews by sophielovesnaps

My absolute HG foundation, you only need the slightest amount for a natural yet full coverage finish and as always with illamasqua the shade range caters to my lighter than NW15 complexion!! love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by babyschla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I am NC35 with combination skin. As I get older, I've gone from wanting really MATTE make up to wanting really dewy youthful looking skin. I tried a lot of more natural products, but nothing really quite gave me that perfect, flawless HD finish that I wanted. Then I tried skin base (I'm no 9 in Skin Base). It's gorgeous! I use he laren luke foundation brush to buff it into my skin and the result is flawless and lasts all day. I love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2012 4:06:00 PM More reviews by PrincessGizmo

It is really hard to truly find a foundation that matches my skin tone since I am a really pale ginger, but this product seems to get really close. The color is honestly what drew me to it. I really enjoy the way it feels, but it is a very heavy foundation, very full coverage. The only real problem I had with this foundation was that it seemed to make my skin a little oily, which does not happen with other products I have used. That is honestly the only problem I have with it, but is easily fixed by using a setting powder. Even though it is a heavy foundation I do not really feel like I am wearing anything on my face at all. I would definitely buy this again and recommend to others.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2012 10:42:00 AM More reviews by LadyKolie

For Reference my skin is NC/NW 07+10 or Nars Sheer Glow Mont Blanc. I have Acne prone, extremely sensitive, combination, oily skin. I have a lot of topical and internal allergies/ intolerances.

So far I have had no immediate issue with skin reactions or acne using this foundation.

My Foundation Check List:
Correct shade match ::check
No Sunscreen ::check
Versatile Coverage ::check
Lasting (10+ hours) ::check
Good for Combination skin ::check
No reactions, acne, or topical reaction ::check
Transfer resistant :: Check
Pigmentation :: high to medium (a half a pea or a whole pea)
Finish :: demi/semi to dewy (depends on skin type)
Application recommendation :: a damp brush

I have nothing but amazing things to say about this foundation. I picked this color up in shade 3.5. I will admit when this came in the mail, I was incredibly surprised by how small the foundation bottle looked. It is 1 ounce, but it just seems so small. Granted, that means it is easily to travel with so I really do not mind. I would say this coverage is versatile and build-able. I can sheer it down to a tinted moisturizer level of coverage, or dab a little on a red stop as a concealer, both last me a ten hour day with out any issues (granted it is fall right now).

What surprises me the most about this foundation, is actually how it looks so incredibly natural. I love Nars sheer glow, it gives me great medium coverage, but I feel it doesn't look as nice when I try to sheer it down, it is what it is on my skin. Nars was the most comfortable foundation I had put on my skin, I barely felt it, but I could still feel it enough to know it was there. Only after about 10 hours would I feel like I really NEED to take it off. I still love my Nars SG, but... this is better. I applied it with my fingers first but I didn't really like how it was spreading, or not spreading. It seemed like my skin sucked up the moisture and made it a bit difficult to apply. So I dampened my Expert Face brush with a little bit of water, dotted about the amount of a pea or less of foundation around my face and blended it in. It went on flawlessly. It covered my tinge of redness, but still looked like my natural skin. It also felt like I had Nothing on my face. Which is incredibly odd, and I am still trying to get used to not feeling it.

I read so many mixed reviews about this foundation, I wasn't really sure it would work the way I wanted it too. I really was looking for a foundation that was light to medium, but wouldn't be greasy. It is inspired by BB creams, but contains no sunscreen which is wonderful for me because I am super picky about what type of sunscreen I use on my skin. I cannot wait to use this when summer comes around again. I want to see how it holds up over my sunscreen and all day in NC heat. But so far, I really really love this foundation, and it is doing a great job on my skin right now. I will definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2012 3:06:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I think I will break this down in to pros and cons since this product does a lot of things well, but doesn't necessarily meet expectations in other areas.

Pros:
-a TON of shades, especially very light shades
-has a nice feel on the skin
-creamy texture
-did not cause breakouts
-a little bit goes a long way
-amazing coverage and finish (like perfect porcelain doll skin)
-mixes nicely with other products
-easy to apply with a brush or with your fingers. I personally didn't like using a sponge for it all that much, but YMMV.

Neutral:
-it smells like Creamsicles (orange & cream)
-for me, the tube is VERY hard to squeeze (I have a lot of problems with my joints and the plastic on the tube is a little more rigid than I would like. The package is really pretty, however, fitting in with Illamasqua's sleek yet luxurious packaging theme.)
-not all shades are available in the US. I use 2 and 3, and they're only available on Illamasqua's site.

Cons:
-does not really wear well unless you use a lot of powder, setting spray, etc. Even then you're lucky to get 10 hours out of it. This is NOT a performance foundation for combo or oily skin.

I think that it probably does last longer on dry skin, but on the best days during the summer it only lasted about 9 hours before it started getting a bit melty. I can't wear this every day because it does not last, but otherwise I do think it is a good product. It looks very nice and it covers the redness and acne that I have very well.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2012 10:55:00 PM More reviews by GeorgiaEllen

I love this! I am very pale and have had some serious issues trying to find shades that are exactly right in the past, but this is perfect! Range of shades is amazing, the coverage is really really nice and if i feel like I need a bit more coverup I use two xoats as this doesnt cake or go gross with two! In australia this is reasonable at $41 a bottle. I have oily/acne prone skin but this is my favourite for controlling shine. It gives me the perfect porcelain skin look I love.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2012 12:36:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

IMO this is theatrical makeup, not for normal people for everyday wear. I mean, just look at the models in their ads. Scary.

The consistency of this is like a cross between Estee Lauder Double Wear and MAC Studio Sculpt. That is, it's full coverage but not quite as matte as EL DW and not as dewy as Studio Sculpt. Having oily skin, I would of course call this too dewy. But I think someone with normal-dry skin could handle this. The consistency is thicker like Studio Sculpt.

Pros:

-Full coverage
- Variety of shades, esp catering to very fair tones and doesn't oxidize
- Acceptable performance throughout day (lasted 5 hours on my oily face, whereas most foundies last only 3)

Cons:

- Smells, feels, and looks like pancake batter
- Accentuates fine lines and pores, with or without primer
- Shades almost run a little TOO light (I'm an NW25 and one of the darkest shades, Shade 11, is a match for me)

Unfortunately, that first con I listed outweighed everything, despite me having very dark acne scars to cover. I may have scarring but I'm not a drag queen or a stage actress, and I can't have all this pancake mask sitting on my face throughout the day. While I appreciate that Illamasqua is one of the few companies that recognizes the need for more coverage and more shade variety, this is a little overboard for me. I would've rated it one star higher if it didn't settle into my pores.

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/3/2012 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Chinadoll3

Ahhh, I want to love this foundation so badly after spending almost £30 on it, but i just cant! I have oily skin, and although this claims to suit all skin types it just creates an oily mess on me that turns cakey when i blot with powder and is removed all together with a blotting sheet. The MA at the counter matched me with shade 5 and i think this is slightly too dark and pink/orange toned for my skin (around NW15/20 in MAC) I am really disappointed. I have been applying with a real techniques stippling brush, but i will try with a sigma F82 and update. I dont use a primer and i set with rimmel stay matte, and this will last less then 5/6 hours. The finish is gorgeous, dewy and light, whilst providing medium coverage, if only it were more long lasting and held its own against oil then i'd love it. This will probably become an evening foundation only - although this does photograph VERY shiny, even with powder, i dont think it has an spf though.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by Sammie1990

After so much hype around this foundation I decided to give it ago!
In the UK this is £27 so not by any means cheap but not as much as much as the Chanel Matt Lumiere I used (and loved!) previously.

I initially bought this product in shade 8 on the advice of the SA. When I returned home I really liked the finish but the colour was just too pink for me. I decided to buy it again in shade 7.5 and it is now too yellow!

I do like the finish on the foundation although some may think it is a little 'flat'. I would say that when it is applied it is more of a matte finish. I like this the best when it has been on for about an hour as it looks slightly more dewy, however this does not last the whole day. As a teacher I do not always have time to touch up my makeup but if I don't with this by the end of the day it is an oily mess.

Overall it is an okay foundation but nothing to rave about.
I am still searching for a foundation that can replace my discontinued Chanel matte lumiere! :(