August 1, 2014 | 1047 users online

Foundations - Tarte - Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full-Coverage Foundation SPF 15

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2014 7:03:00 AM More reviews by gaiLyghia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

1 star for good coverage, and another 1 for matching my skin tone perfectly. I'm using this foundation inconsistently for almost a month. Whenever I use this my face will be AWESOME for the first five hours and after that it will start looking dry and blotchy but my T-zone is shiny and oily.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by jarona

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

As I get older, my skin has gone through so many changes that I find myself on the constant search for a foundation that is friendly to dry, aging skin. This search isn't easy. My favorite foundation used to be the MUFE High-Definition liquid foundation, but either the formula has been changed or my skin just did some fast-track changing. It doesn't work for me anymore.
Other foundations oxidize on my in a matter of minutes making me look like an Oompah Loompah--and even others make my skin look cakey and even more dry...not a good look on a woman in her very late '50's if you catch my drift.
Surprisingly enough, I came across this Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-hour Full Coverage foundation from a suggestion of a S/A at Sephora. I explained my desert-like, arid skin and my foundation dilemma and she walked me over to the Tarte section. At first I was a bit taken aback, but then she worked her magic and I've followed suit and I'm telling you, this is a keeper!
Here's how it rolled: I'm extremely fair with pink undertones. She picked out the very lightest foundation, which I thought would work--but it was too light. Next she picket out the Light/Medium Beige--which is best suited for light skin with pink undertones. Darned if it wasn't an exact match. She worked the foundation in with the Tarte Airbrush Finish Foundation Brush..which costs $32.00. In the past, foundation brushes were too stiff for me to work and blend foundation in--however, this brush is nice and soft and surprisingly, did a fantastic job. NOW--ladies over 50--listen to me. She also mixed a bit of moisturizer in with the foundation..she said if I had a moisturizing BB cream that would work just as well ( HINT: Yves St. Laurent BB Cream is what I have at home and it works wonderfully)..after the blend in with the brush, I was amazed at how nice and glowy my skin looked.
Fast forward to a few days later. I had been following the instructions to a T. Two women at work asked me what makeup I was using b/c my face and skin looked so glowy..my hand to god I cannot make this up! I was floored!!!
This really is a great foundation..and it's kind of deceptive because it comes in a tube which I thought would be soooooooooooooooooo thick and cakey..You don't need much and when blended with the brush really gives mature skin a nice glow.
PS--this may be a bit off-topic but for my older women MUA friends--I prep my face with an SPF 30 moisturizer, then I use Lancôme Genefique serum..then I wait till it dries and use Smashbox primer..then I wait till it sets in and apply the foundation.
I may have found my HG of foundations but you never know *shrugs*--the darn skin changes so much!
Anyway, this definitely deserves the five lipstick rating--I highly recommend it for more mature skin--and don't forget to purchase the brush as well.
Thank you for reading my review and happy beauty to you!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2014 9:35:00 AM More reviews by SweetestCandy404

Kinda expensive

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 12:45:00 AM More reviews by jennaryan10

I really liked this product in store (Sephora) especially since the lady at the store said it would add moisture to dry spots and dry out oily spots. So I needed a new foundation and bought it. It was a bit pricey at 49$ but if it was going to work that's alright. I bought it and when I got home I realized it was clinging to my dry spots and making them look worse than they were. I tried it with 2 different primers;
1. may have been the primer but the foundation looked like flakes all over my face. I had to wash it off and start over.
2. it felt like it never dried, which is weird since it dried out my face so much.
I have had this product for a week and tried every way I could think of to make it apply nicer and it just doesn't work for me. I think it's going to be returned.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by tC_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this foundation for a week so far and I'm pretty happy with it. My previous foundation was MAC Studio Fix Fluid but I wanted something more natural that wouldn't clog my pores so much. I read a lot of reviews and it seems that Tarte's Amazonian clay is good for acne-prone skin, as in it wouldn't irritate it. I'm also an oil slick and love Tarte's other products so figured I'd give it a try.

Pros: large color selection, good coverage, no scent, oil-free, no parabens, nice packaging and you get a lot of product, good oil-control and doesn't make me break out or oxidize

Cons: a tad pricey than what I'm accustomed to paying for foundations, hard to layer without getting cakey, coverage isn't as full as I'd like it to be, can accentuate flakey skin so definitely exfoliate and moisturize well prior to application

I apply this foundation with my beautyblender and I can get it to look very natural. I still need concealer to cover up old blemish scars but that's with any foundation. Overall, my favorite part is the wide range of shades. It's hard for me to find a yellow-based foundation and most tend to turn orange or pink on me throughout the day. For reference, I'm NC 30 in MAC and I wear Tarte's Medium Sand. It's a perfect match.

EDIT: I ended up returning this foundation. I liked it at first but after a week, felt it was too drying for my skin (even though I'm super oily). It sucked all of the moisture out of my skin and would just sit on top. Furthermore, it's hard to layer because it will look extremely cakey. I also feel for the price, the coverage should be better. I'm using MUFE HD foundation and liking it much better.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by Jackierose1987

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Ok, so I was put off a little bit by this foundations texture. But, it really is nice. Really great coverage but it doesnt feel like I have lots of product on my face.

I bought this in light, and it matches me well. (Im a nc15) I have applied with my fingers, a flat top brush, and also with my knock off beauty blender (real techniques sponge) all ways it looked wonderful. But my personal fav was with my brush. I plan on repurchasing this off qvc because its the same price ($38) and you g re t the flawless face brush with it!

It gives a flawless look, not too dewy, not too matte. I hate really matte foundations, I feel like they look powdery, cakey, and just fake. So yes, I'd repurchase
pros:
beautiful coverage
Great texture/feel on the skin
really natural look

cons:
pricey

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 3:13:00 AM More reviews by PerfumeShoesPolishBaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Completely worth every penny! I used this almost every day for six months (1 tube)!!! Not impervious to oily skin but a fabulous, well blending product that is a superb value!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 2:41:00 AM More reviews by mayag719

I love this. I first bought the airbrush powder version over the summer, recommended to me buy the sales girl after I did the Sephora color IQ. I needed a little bit lighter color for the winter, so I decided to try the liquid formula (I prefer liquid/creams over powders for the winter). I'm using this now in "Medium Sand", and I love it. I have oily-combination sensitive skin, and it works great. It doesn't break me out and has great staying powder. You should definitely buy the brush that comes with it (or at least use a stippling brush), and you'll be able to get great coverage without using too much at once.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/10/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by pinkgirrl12

I work at Ulta so I literally try every foundation there because I'm in search for the perfect one for me, I put it on and it looked great! the texture was great it had no smell and was paraben free which I LOVE. so I bought it. through the day I would touch my face and it would come off.. transfers on clothes and doesn't really last 12hours. of course by the end of the day it was alright i always look dewy or oily which I didn't really like. I had high hopes for it and it didn't pull through. if I don't find a better foundation that looks better then this i would probably buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by sunblair99

Iam not a fan of the price... But it's well worth it!! I have problem skin and the coverage is awesome!! A little goes a long way. I've been using for over a yr now.