December 21, 2014 | 1789 users online

Fragrances - Thierry Mugler - Angel

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

A warm, dark candy scent that reminds me of an expensive chocolate bar that's melted over and mixed into fried cotton candy at a summer county fair on a very hot, humid night. You dip your fingers into this outrageous candy delight in the night air, enjoy the sweet taste sensations while your other senses are assaulted by the lights and sounds of the carnival. There's a sensory overload that you put yourself through because you want to, because you like where you are, knowing you want to absorb everything that's there. That's what Angel is all about.
This is an inviting scent that lingers for a number of hours with a dark chocolate liquor flavor. About one hour into settling, Angel gets comfortable, drunk on cherry chocolates, languid, sweet and syrupy. After its run of about eight hours, she quietly slips away. Her booziness is gone.
When I first went to inquire about this perfume, the SA at Macy's told me she had so many complaints about this complex fragrance, she was hesitant to have me spray-test it on myself. She instead handed me a number of samples with judicious eyes and told me to try it out at home.
I have absolutely no complaints about this complicated frag. It's different and I like that. It's a gourmand and you must enjoy a food type fragrance if you will associate yourself with Angel. There are so many delicious notes for your skin to absorb from Thierry Mugler's scent each time you apply it, you really should give it a try a few times to see what flavors become you.
As with any frag, especially a gourmand, go lightly. Unless you go to bed with it. Then you get to snuggle to your own delight with as many sprays as you'd like, cuddle up to it and enjoy the scent.
I find the bottle a pleasing addition to my own perfumery. Art deco in design maybe, modernistic perhaps, certainly not run-of-the mill. Definitely a keeper.
The notes that are prominent for me are coconut, bergamot, cotton candy, plum, red berries, tonka bean, amber, patchouli, musk, vanilla, chocolate and caramel. This is a quite a mix.
Top Notes: Melon, Bergamot, Mandarin Orange, Coconut, Cassia, Jasmine, Cotton Candy.
Middle Notes: Honey, Apricot, Blackberry, Plum, Orchid, Peach, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-Valley, Red Berries, Rose.
Base Notes: Patchouli, Musk, Tonka Bean, Amber, Vanilla, Dark Chocolate, Caramel.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by GoDawgs

I LOVE Angel. It's one of my favorites. I love that it's puzzling; I can sniff and sniff and nothing is exactly identifiable. I also love that one person can describe it and the description sounds like an entirely different perfume from another person's description.

I've heard Angel described as decadent and desserty, but I don't agree. There are so many different notes that I smell nothing very literal. For example, when I sniff SL Jeux de Peau, I make out butter, salt, and even popcorn. With Kilian's Love (don't be shy) I smell honeysuckle and sweet, sticky honey. But with Angel? It's like a weird meld of so many different things that it creates it's own distinct scent. Yes, it's gourmand, but less like a comforting baked good that I want to devour, and more like something intriguing that I've never seen, that seems like it's edible but might turn out to be poisonous.

In the beginning I smell red berries, but not yummy, sweet berries. It's like wild berries found in the woods that I probably shouldn't eat. I think it's the red berry scent that throws me off on this smelling like something truly edible. There is also a peppery scent that is so strong at first it tickles my nose. When the scent dies down I can smell a bit of the vanilla and caramel, but it's still not distinct and is melded with so many other scents.

Sephora describes Angel as pure, soft, and innocent. Huh? I disagree. It's sexy, daring, almost dirty but with a sweetness at the core, and keeps you guessing.

The longevity is crazy. I can smell this on me 12 hours after spraying.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/23/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by AMSClassic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

This perfume smells like you went into Sephora and sprayed no less than 10 fragrances on you at once. Also the sillage is extremely high and just a small drop is known to induce headaches for you and everyone you come into contact with.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2013 3:56:00 PM More reviews by cahoody

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've usually found with department store perfumes, if I use them at all, I get through one bottle and that's it. I'm probably on my fourth of this. Gorgeous with a lingering patchouli-type base. I hadn't worn it for a while, but the last couple of times I did lately, was complemented by a friend and a stranger. A rich, powdery type oriental scent.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by MadisonBryan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

*EDIT*
Tried this again about a year later.. It's growing on me but I still prefer Alien to this.
*********

I just could not get on with this fragrance.. It smells like perfume mixed with mexican food. Alien is far better in terms of fragrance.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by picklemesoftly

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My all time favorite winter fragrance. Beautiful, warm, a bit spicy, a bit peppery and woodsy. Alluring and mysterious. Too heavy in the summertime but in the wintertime, a soft spray and out the door I go with the fragrance lasting all day long.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2013 10:50:00 AM More reviews by Dolly444

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This perfume has been haunting me for about ten years. In high school, a friend brought in a small star and gave me a couple of squirts and I could smell the scent on my uniform for days after and even after a couple of spins in the washing machine!

I didn't have my own little bottle until I was eighteen and even then it is so expensive, it took me a while to save up! The good thing is you don't need much at all in order to smell the scent. I was fine with one or squirts and that would see me through the day. Because the perfume is so concentrated, I hardly use any and that bottle lasted me well over a year (despite it only being 15ml or something).

I then went without Angel for three years or so until there was offer at Boots and I could 't resist. I went for a bigger bottle at about £50 (on offer) and treasure it! Angel tends to make an appearance on special occasions only though (as I have some other cheaper perfumes for daywear). I have also discovered you can get a refill for a dirt cheap price too, so I made sure my new bottle was a refill one and when it's empty, it is refillable at the 'source' ;)

The smell is quite distinct and I know for a fact some of my friends really dislike it. I guess it's either a love it or hate it perfume, but I was definitely a big fan and I am still in love with it now. I have since converted my mum, sister and grandma :)

Beautiful perfume, not so beautiful price though! :P

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 9:33:00 AM More reviews by delish288

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

yesterday I was shopping for groceries when a woman near me picked up 3 large boxes of premade pizzas. The smell wafted from her to my nose and I just literally stopped what I was doing to be overtaken with such a delightful fragrance. At first I thought wow she must be wearing Avon's Skin so Soft bec it had a soft warm woodsy smell but it still had some spice some vanilla to my nose yet it had some resinous note but it was barely noticeable yet such a lovely delight to my nose. I walked closer to this woman and told her how lovely and delightful she smelled and asked if by chance she was wearing skin so soft or had used it while showering this morning and said how delightful and mysterious she smelled and also said how expensive her perfume notes my nose were capturing not to insult her should it not be skin so soft. Now I love skin so soft and ran out some time ago and have been wanting this again. She was very approachable and said I love skin so soft also but I am wearing Angel by Mugler. I was shocked and had never worn Angel bec of all of the negative feedback on it. However I am on my way out the door to find Angel and will pick up a bottle of it bec this perfume has just made me want it so bad. Hope it smells as good on me as her bec this was a golden moment.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A friend recently brought be a Thierry Mugler Alien gift set and it that gift set I got some samples of Womanity and Angel. I just can't stand Theirry Mugler scents at all!
This is a very strong, long lasting, super super super sweet and generic scent.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/21/2013 1:30:00 AM More reviews by Maryso

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Nope:(. A very unusual smell that I do nottt like.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No