December 18, 2014 | 1830 users online

Cleansers - Neutrogena - Naturals - Purifying Facial Cleanser

rated 3 of 5 on 3/7/2013 11:25:00 AM More reviews by texasbeautyaddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I like this face wash. It claims to be "natural", and to some degree it is. It uses willow bark as its salicylic acid source (versus a chemically made one- willow bark can also be used as a pain killer when acetylsalicylic acid is derived from it ((Aspirin)).

Actually, let's be honest- they probably don't use willow bark but are just toting the product to be natural because it's trendy, haha. BUT IF IT IS TRUE...the willow bark is a legitimate source for the acne treating ingredient.

Anyhow, I've been using it for a month and a half or so. It has kept a lot of my pimples at bay, and though not perfect (as it doesn't keep them ALL at bay), it is effective and has not caused me to have any violent, cystic acne or strange pustules. I don't know if my skin has changed or if the concentration of salicylic acid is low (it's not listed as to what percentage is in it), but it has not caused any irritation like I expected it to.

As far as blackhead/white head prevention, I haven't really noticed it particularly helping, but I also use a moisturizer with sunblock everyday so I don't think I will. However, I haven't noticed any crazy new amounts of comedones forming, so I would imagine if I WASN'T using sunblock everyday I probably wouldn't have an issue...but I'd rather have clogged comedones than skin cancer/wrinkles.

Overall- pretty decent cleanser. Average price (I paid around $6 - $7 at my HEB) , and a little seems to last quite a while. A light push on the pump dispenses a suitable amount, and it lathers well (which I know some people complain about but lathering just makes it SO much easier for product use). Haven't noticed any product leakage either and the pump does lock, so that's a plus for the frequent traveler. The product does have a scent- sort of like...apples? It's sweet, but I don't find it overpowering.

4/5. Not perfect, but it works well for me.

Edit: I'm giving this face wash a 3/5 now. I have since switched face washes (for about two months) and did not realize how DRYING this face wash was on my skin. It was also not helping white heads at all.

I am much happier with my Cerave face wash.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

I have no problem with this cleanser. I ran out of my clinique liquid facial soap and wanted a quick (and possibly cheaper) alternative, so this fit the bill. I find it to be gentle enough for my morning facial cleanse. I didn't want a soap that did anything crazy, just something to wash with. For the record I have combination skin that can be oily. I like the pleasant scent. Oh and I was surprised that this does remove makeup pretty well too! Definitely a bonus!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2013 2:09:00 PM More reviews by Jinxicat9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm surprised by how many poor product ratings this received. I have super sensitive skin and even at fifty years old I'm still prone to break-outs now and then. I use this sparingly in the morning, rinse well and my face feels fresh and clean. I haven't had near the break-outs with this as I have had with much more expensive products. One thing I would suggest with any facial cleansing product, particularly product with lots of natural ingredients is rinse, rinse and rinse again well.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/31/2013 5:45:00 PM More reviews by kruss

I would NEVER buy this product! I purchased this product and developed cystic acne and pimples! Be careful because I did not immediately develop the acne. It took a few weeks and then boom! I had horrible skin. I have always had "flawless" skin, no issues with pimples or acne but shortly after using this product I had horrible breakouts that consisted of cystic acne and pimples. I finally figured out that it was this product causing the issue since it was the only new thing introduced into my skin routine and within one week of using it the acne had subsided. I haven't used this product in over 6 weeks and my skin is almost back to normal. I will have to purchase creams to help lighten the scarring left from the acne. I would not purchase this product and read other reviews! It has caused a lot of Cystic acne in other users as well!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2013 7:40:00 PM More reviews by feerose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was a really polarizing product for me. Normally I like Neutrogena and the products they put out but I am certainly not a fan of this. It left this crazy residue feeling on my skin, and dried it out causing a lot of irritation. The one good thing about this product is that it does take off makeup pretty well, but it doesn't overshadow the gross feeling you have on your face afterward. Nothing really feels natural about this product, it burned my skin the first time I used it. I'm not a fan of gel cleansers in general, have not had good luck with them.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2013 11:35:00 AM More reviews by Cerla

I too bought this because my CeraVe ran out and it was on sale at the drugstore so I thought I'd give it a try. After reading the reviews that the product causes redness and dryness, can I suggest to you that you splash lots of water on your face first then only use a quarter of a pump of the cleanser to wash your face. That trick worked well for me and it still effectively removes my makeup. Still, I wouldn't repurchase as I think there are far more gentle cleansers out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 10:10:00 PM More reviews by beauty121

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This cleanser was amazing for my skin! I have senstive, combination skin with horrible acne, and decided to grab this at the drugstore. The first time I used it, my skin felt really smooth and noticably less red. After using it for a month, I STILL see those results and more: my acne is almost comepletely cleared up! It contains Willowbark extract, a natural source of salicylic acid, which I'm sure played a big part in it.

This cleanser actually IS all natural, aside from only two ingredients, which Neutrogena says were neccessary. Perhaps that's why it didn't irritate my skin (It also does an amazing job at removing makeup). The pump bottle is also 50% post-consumer recycled. I will continue to buy this as long as Neutrogena continues to make it.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2013 9:55:00 PM More reviews by odarlinclementine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

it burns your skin, makes it red, and drys it out. the minute i put it on and felt that burn i was like, "uhh...natural?"
bizzarre but predictable since it's not entirely natural (that's what those astricks indicate on the back.)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/9/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by cheekymonkey828

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Purchased for change of pace. Drugstore-wise, usually buy Purpose. Also for use with Clarisonic Mia 2. Therein lay the problem. Stung my eyes and tasted horrible (couldn't help getting on my lips). Returned to store. Bought Boscia black that warms; like that. Also use Lush AoBS.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/26/2012 2:11:00 AM More reviews by meganmcc

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have had a horrible horrible experience with this cleanser this past week. So let me start by saying I only bought this as a temporary face wash because I ran out of my CeraVe facial cleanser and they didn't have it in stock so I just bought this because I thought it was a simple cleanser. When I initially used this, I felt a little sting. I checked the ingredients and saw that it had "naturally derived salicylic acid" from willow bark extract.So over the past few days I noticed that the longer I leave this cleanser on, the more it stings. It also leaves my face sensitive and red as a frickin tomato. I've been noticing a lot of dryness, and I started developing a rash on my neck and jawline. It's really inflamed and itchy right now. At first I thought it was because the sal. acid was too harsh along with my acne meds (clindamycin phosphate and tazorac) I finally realized that I'm probably allergic to the willow bark extract because I had the same reaction to the Burt's Bees acne solutions line, which boasts willowbark extract. This cleanser has DEFINITELY not been right for me, but hey if you're not allergic to it you might have success. I wish Neutrogena would advertise it on the front of the bottle that it contains salicylic acid though...if they had, I would have opted for a different cleanser. Sad to see my $10 go to waste :(