Almay Get Up and Grow

3.5

Aqua (Water), Paraffin, Stearic Acid, Cera Alba ((Beeswax) Cire D'Abeille), Isododecane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Hydrogenated Polycyclopentadiene, C30-45 Alkyl Dimethicone, Cera Carnauba ((Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax) Cire de Carnauba), Trisiloxane, Triethanolamine, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Bis-Vinyl Dimethicone/Dimethicone Copolymer, Hydrogenated Olive Oil Stearyl Esters, Isosteareth-200 Linoleate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer, Phytantriol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Nylon-6, Simethicone, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Black 2 (CI 77266), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, 77492, 77499).

on 4/1/2013 7:03:00 AM

There have been a lot of negative reviews on this product, even on Beautipedia, but Emily Noel gave it a thumbs up, so I decided to give it a shot.

I really like this mascara. I am impressed with the formula and the brush. I haven't had any problems with it smudging or flaking (even after a two hour nap!), but I have normal skin with out any dryness or oiliness. I also use an eyeshadow primer (NYX HD) to keep any oiliness on my eyelids in check.

As for the formula, I am a falsies girl and this builds a LOT of volume without clumping, but you have to take your time with it. I can do up to three thin coats without a single clump. Usually, I curl my lashes, use Mary Kay's Lash Primer, then add two coats of Get Up and Grow in Blackest Black. I wait for it to dry down, then I add my falsies and add a final coat to blend everything together. I can't really say how much length it adds because my lashes are fairly long to begin with, I really just need the thickness.

The final thing I love about this mascara is the softness it imparts on my lashes. I don't like crunchy lashes, no matter how good they look, and this mascara stays pliable.

I gave it 4 lippies because I rarely give anything more than 4, so that is really my highest rating.

Good job, Almay!

I've never tried this product in the waterproof version, but the normal doesn't stick around very long. Given, for some reason my mascara smudges under my eyes even though I only wear mascara on the top. I have Asian eyes so maybe that has something to do with it, anyway. I love this to put on under my covergirl lashblast; I feel like this nourishes my lashes to prevent them from falling out because lashblast on its own can be pretty damaging to my eyelashes. I also like to wear a super super thin layer of this on my top and lower lashes at night because I know it will definitely wear off by the time I wake up, but I feel like it nourishes my lashes overnight as well. One night, I was really bored and so I experimented a bit with this mascara. I kept putting layer after layer of mascara on, and it looked pretty fabulous; I'll give it one thing, it does not clump! I absolutely hate clumpy lashes and this definitely does not clump. That experiment also proved how mcuh it smudges though, because before I was done putting on about 50 coats of mascara on, it was smudging under my eyes. I know that blinking can transfer product, but I've never had a problems with product transferring after I blink so this was a new experience for me. Overall, I do think this nourishes my lashes because i noticed a slight difference in strength, but it's not worth buying if you want it to be your one and only mascara.

on 3/26/2013 10:20:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Nice concept, but smudge city

on 3/16/2013 12:55:00 PM

This was my very first mascara. It was summertime, so I bought it in the waterproof version. I HATED this. It was very messy to apply, clumped quite easily, and smudged quite a bit. I won't repurchase in the future.

on 3/13/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Natural finish macara that lengthens and holds a decent curl. Does not give a lot of volume, but most natural finish mascaras do not. I like the old school bristley brush. (The new rubber ones are hit and miss.) I give it a 5 because my lashes are noticeably longer! Ive used lash growing products that did not work as well.

on 3/8/2013 10:01:00 PM

I have the waterproof version. First day of wearing this and I'll be returning it tomorrow. The brush is a bit awkward because it's so long. Was hard to get in the corners of the eyes without getting it on my skin. Checked my makeup in the mirror in the parking garage at work before heading in and I had black smudges all under my eyes. This was less than 2 hours after application. All day at work I've had to go and wipe away the smudges and flakes about once every hour. Theres basically nothing really left on my lashes because it has flaked and smudged to the point it doesn't even look like I'm wearing any mascara. My contacts are also blurry and scratchy. The hunt for the perfect mascara continues......

on 2/21/2013 7:10:00 PM

I really tried to like this one. I picked up the waterproof formula and haven't tried the non-waterproof- it doesnt seem like I will try it either.

It was dry, more dry than what I like plus it flaked all day long.
The volume it gave was alright but no length or curl (even when using an iron) My eyelashes look pathetic and I gave it a little while to "air out" using it for about a week. It is easy to remove, I'll give it that and nice for sensitive eye balls.

It is NOT comparable to higher end lines such as Clinique and dare I say.. I have a bit of smudging on lower lash line

on 2/13/2013 12:31:00 PM

I also bought this on emilynoel83's recommendation, but was sadly disappointed. The real deal-breaker is the smudging- I want a mascara that will wear all day and not leave black under my eyes.

PROS:
very little clumping
holds curl fairly well

CONS:
smudges like crazy!
adds very little volume

And although I haven't noticed any negative affects on my lashes from using this mascara, I haven't noticed anything positive either. I don't think it's made a difference in my lash growth.

on 2/11/2013 11:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I too got this mascara based on emilynoel83's review. This one didn't do it for me. The formula is very dry and not buildable. Your lashes have already dried into little clumps by the time you are ready for the second layer. The brush is long and kind of hard to work with. It lengthens and volumizes a little bit -- pretty average in both. It doesn't flake at all, but smudges a little bit on my lower lid.

on 1/31/2013 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I also bought this due to Emily Noel's recommendation. At first, I was sorely disappointed. It didn't seem to do anything. I still used it regularly, determined not to waste my money, and about 3 months later I noticed an improvement in performance. It started to lengthen and define my lashes quite noticeably. The texture must be too wet for the formula when new..so if you don't like it and can't return it, give it a few months and hopefully your purchase won't be in vain. I won't be repurchasing, but I am finally content with the product.

Video Reviews & Tutorials