February 1, 2015 | 2123 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 3/19/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by flyingcolours

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Good for oily skin! I've been using this for a few weeks and I feel it's helped to control how oily my skin gets. It's kind of strange at first to use what seems like a bar of black soap to clean your face, but it really does work! From a couple of the reviews here it seems like people are trying to rub the bar directly on to their skin - don't do this! It comes with a sort of gritty coating, so it's slightly exfoliating, but this does mean the bar is rough and it'll scratch your skin. Lather it up into your hands first and then apply and you'll be fine! I would definitely buy this again as it's worked well for me, and the bar lasts forever.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by ManhattanMermaid

This is a very HARSH cleanser. DO NOT rub this directly on your face, as I scratched up my face this way. =/ I have oily skin, but this is too harsh for me in the dryer winter months. But, I will try this again in the summer, as I'm sure it will work much better for me then. I will also use this on my back and chest to prevent acne.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/11/2012 6:07:00 PM More reviews by scp15

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hated this product so much. I found it to be way to abrasive and it literally left scratch marks on my face. Didn't do much in the acne department either except made my skin extra oily.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:39:00 PM More reviews by sweetiepea161616

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

This product is nice if you like your face squeaky clean. It foams nicely and leaes your face totally stripped of all oil. This could be bad or good depending on your skin. I find that it strips too much oil and leaves my skin dry and tight. It smells a little weird, like licorice and something I can't put my finger on. It's just okay. I didn't think it really did anything for my skin though. I wouldn't buy again. As far as Lush products go, I will stick with my Herbalism, which is like the total opposite of coal face but I like it much better.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:31:00 PM More reviews by brilliantine

I've been using this for 2 weeks now and absolutely love it. It smells good and cleans better the anything I've used before, getting all my makeup off easily. My skin feels soft and clear after using it. I find the solid format enjoyable to use and it's easy to cut small pieces off as and when needed. So far I've used less than a quarter of my 5 chunk so I can see it lasting at least a couple of months. My only small gripes are that it can sting your eyes so I have to keep them closed when applying it, and it makes my skin feel a bit 'squeaky' when rinsing- this is nowhere near as bad as with normal soap though. Overall a great purchase - I can see this becoming a long term favourite.

EDIT: This ended up irritating my nose a bit and making me sneeze so I stopped using it :-( Still got some left so may give it a go as a once in a while deep cleanser.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by kwinki

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this soap a lot and it is my go to cleanser. I like my cleansers to be a little gritty and this has that and is not irritating although it can be drying sometimes, Works wonders for my acne prone skin along with herbalism.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:32:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I used Coalface religiously when I was an acne-prone, oily-skinned preteen/teenager. It has a great amount of scrub, the charcoal is very cleansing, and there's something almost kinda glamorous about using a black soap. I usually followed up with a small amount of virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer, and the combination left my skin very happy and balanced.

Sadly, I can't use it anymore. Maybe it's just the fact that it's winter and I'm spending a lot of time in my heated, dehumidified house, but Coalface dries out my skin WAY too much these days. Even when I moisturize with coconut oil afterward, my skin protests from the dryness and I break out and have that "tight" feeling.

Such a bummer, since I LOVE the scent of Coalface (maybe because of the nostalgia I have associated with it). I'm using Angels on Bare Skin now, which works much better for my skin type at the moment. My boyfriend, who has oily skin, uses my bar of Coalface sometimes, and it seems to work great for him.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2012 2:42:00 PM More reviews by silvia85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this... I adore Lush soaps and the masks are quite nice, too. However, it dried my skin and it made me break out so much I could not believe it! I rarely break out after using a product so I tested it about 3 times and my skin was horrible....I stopped using it and my skin is clear and soft again! I had to throw it away.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2011 6:57:00 AM More reviews by adrianamelie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this after I ran out of my facial soap that no longer makes any. Sales assistant said it worked wonders for oily skin, so I gave it a go. I didn't care much about the odd sliced shape. It smelled all right, and felt nice on your face... but only for an hour or so. Afterwards my face started to oil again, as if I haven't cleansed my face at all. After 2 hours, it became quite oily, and after 5+ hours, my face was super oily. After 2 weeks of using this, my cheeks started having red spots (not pimples, just spots) and the skin on my T-zone started to become very rough. Will stop using this now and find a new facial soap. This did not work for for me at all. It did not keep my face dry for more than an hour and actually made my face quite worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by playdirty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

After many years of searching I have finally found it, my HG cleanser! Not only is this stuff cruelty-free and reasonably priced but it ACTUALLY works! For $15AUD you get a big chunk of this shimmering black gold and you really only need a small 10c piece chunk for each use so it lasts quite a while. I first got this as a sample, chopped it up and got atleast 8 uses out of it and in those few washes I had realised that I had found my skins' saviour. It has quite a noticeable licorice smell but nothing strong enough to put me off and is also slightly grainy for light exfoliation. Rubbing the black lump between your hands produced a grey foam that you can feel instantly cleansing away any oil or grease (meaning it is drying so moisturizer is a must) leaving your skin feeling light and slightly tight. My skin felt fresh and a couple of days later it was obvious my pimples were either gone or in the process of and I'd like to thank coalface for it all :)