April 16, 2014 | 1991 users online

Moisturizers - Desert Essence - Jojoba Oil - 100% pure

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 3:53:00 AM More reviews by khloe101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as an extra hydration boost added to my moisturizer (CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion). I just add three drops to every pump of my lotion. It helps with flakiness and actually balances my oily skin. Jojoba oil is much like the oils found in human skin. When you get dry, your glands go nuts trying to produce more and more sebum. By using jojoba oil, it's basically tricking your skin into thinking you don't need to produce so much sebum, which makes your face waaay less oily. Give it a try if you suffer with dry or oily skin. I suffer with both and jojoba, along with CeraVe lotion helped alot.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Jojoba Oil is a staple in my natural products cabinet. When I am choosing an oil-cleansing method, I find Jojoba oil best if I need to clean off my make-up.
I have always rated cleansers on these pros and cons:
Does it take off my makeup? If it doesn't, I don't think it's worth my time. I'm not interested in second steps or double-washing.
Does it make my face feel squeaky clean? I'm not talking dry, just clean.
Does it over-dry my face or leave it feeling soft and dewy?
Does my face feel stripped of its' oils after I've rinsed?
Jojoba Oil for me is the HG of makeup removal. A few swipes with a cotton pad and my mascara is off. Even stubborn mascara and liner that may remain on my bottom waterline can be easily removed by rolling a cotton swab along the length of it once. The less pull on the bottom of my eyes the better.
I use a cosmetic sponge with warm water to remove the oil. My skin feels refreshed, and looks dewy. It feels clean, but Jojoba oil does make it feel it a little oilier than some of the other oils. I don't think this has to do with the amount I'm using, since I compare different oils and others I like better. I've also used a cotton pad to remove my makeup after massaging the oil into my skin, then I'll wash with one of my regular cleansers. I know that this oil can remove all traces of cosmetics ingredients like heavier foundations, primers, the added sunscreens that I put on, plus all the eye makeup. It never fails me.
As an eye makeup remover, it beats all the others and that's what I use it for consistently. The less stress and pull on the delicate eye area , the less chance for fine lines and wrinkles to show up later.
I've tried using it in my hair. I have bleached and color-processed hair. It's also very fine. I notice that it makes it limp, no matter the amount I use. For me, it just doesn't work as a hair restorative.
As a moisturizer on my body, it's also a greasier feel. A little goes a very long way. It certainly has its benefits. I will always keep a bottle around and will repurchase. If the only use I have for it are my eyes, that's ok with me. It's inexpensive, and the bottle will last forever.
When I make my body butter, I add a few drops, also, so it does go into that recipe. All in all, I'd say if you're into home recipes, it's a staple because you're going to use it in a variety of ways. You just have to figure out in what way your body is going to accept it the best.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:36:00 AM More reviews by rebonjour

Me: Acne-prone, sensitive skin, prone to becoming dehydrated. Tends to get cyst-like breakouts when using oil-based products. Largely prefer 'natural' or 'simple' products.

A few years ago, the oil cleansing method was all the rage in the skincare field. People absolutely raved over the glowing, healthy nature of their skin. Though I was fascinated by the concept of OCM, I recognized that the lack of exfoliation associated with that routine would just cause acne for me. However, still interested in using oils on my face, I spent some time researching non-comedogenic oils and stumbled upon jojoba oil.

Many of the reviews I'd read claimed that jojoba oil nearly mimics the chemical composition and nature of our skin's own sebum. As a result, it would not clog pores, but instead, would help to regulate the skin's natural oil production. Sebum, a wax-like substance itself, does feel very similar in texture and fluidity to jojoba oil. I also learned that jojoba oil is used as a natural fungicide, along with other common anti-acne substances like tea tree oil.

The oil is a bright golden colour and absorbs quickly into the skin - something I was surprised at, considering that my skin typically takes a long time to absorb any form of added moisture. It doesn't provide an instantaneously moisturized skinfeel. Rather, after a couple of uses, the skin is noticeably softer and more moisturized. A bit of an oily residue is present for about 20 minutes after application. I would recommend using an amount slightly smaller than a dime. It should also be noted that an appropriate sunscreen should be used with this product, as any sort of oil on the skin can magnify and retract the rays of the sun, increasing UV exposure and sun damage.

The product can be used on all parts of the skin. I've found it to be an incredible effective moisturizer for the lips. It's excellent insofar as it can be used underneath a drying lipstick without changing the lipstick's sheen or consistency. It is also particularly beneficial as a cuticle oil for the nails. I have not experienced any breakouts as a result of this product and find it to be an effective, inexpensive all-purpose moisturizer.

I am also very happy that jojoba oil is (obviously) free of the silicones that tend to plague a lot of the moisturizers and serums on today's cosmetics counter. These tend to clog my pores and cause break outs. As a result, this oil is definitely a staple in my skincare cabinet.

A single bottle of this oil will last forever - with daily facial use, 4 months or so. Considering the price point of ~$15 (in Canada), it's a very inexpensive product. This product is packaged in a small, palm-sized clear plastic bottle with a pop cap. Jojoba oil doesn't oxidize that easily, so a clear bottle is appropriate in terms of packaging. However, I would prefer to see an amber-coloured glass bottle to prolong the shelf-life of this product (as it lasts forever).

BOTTOM LINE: An inexpensive, natural, quick-absorbing moisturizer that can be used on all parts of the skin. Does not clog pores or cause acne. An incredibly useful investment for skin of all types, though not a replacement for the more luxurious skinfeel of high-end moisturizers.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2013 3:42:00 PM More reviews by LostInWonderland

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this generally to stretch my ears, very versatile product. Great to have on hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2013 7:29:00 PM More reviews by lylasmum

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using pure jojoba oil last summer after I read so many online reviews singing praises about it. BACKGROUND: I developed this strange irritation on my calves last summer for some unknown reason. I found that many people were experiencing the same problem I had, and many of them have gone undiagnosed even after seeing several doctors. I initially used Elocom cream on my itchy skin and although the cream provided immediate relief, it didn't completely clear up my skin. I was also worried about its side effects.

Then I read that that jojoba oil can help clear up skin irritations (acne, dermatitis, etc). So I decided to give it a go. I was so suprised that jojoba oil provided me immediate and drug-free relief and it's much cheaper than my Elocom cream. Jojoba oil completely cleared up my legs and I haven't had problems since. Now I use jojoba oil to moisturize all over, even my face. This wonder oil calms the oil glands on my face and I now find that even if I use it under make up during the day, my face doesn't really get shiny. And because my oil glands now don't overproduce oil, I seldom break out. Somehow my face also looks brighter when I use this oil under make up. My only complaints are: (1) The bottle cap is not good at all (after you remove the foil seal, the oil just leaks all over), and (2) this oil is not very cheap so I just always watch for it to go on sale. Also, I prefer organic but it does cost more than non-organic so I always just wait for it to go on sale then I buy 2-3 bottles each time. Having said that however, I think the cons outweigh the pros. I usually order mine from Well.ca.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/3/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by lukivo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited to start using Jojoba oil! I read reviews online on how people had tried everything for their acne, and this was their saving grace. I used it as a makeup remover/cleanser, and steamed it off with a warm face cloth. Then if my face felt a little dry I would apply a teensy amount. At first, my face was glowing! It was looking clear and beautiful... but after about a month of use, I started getting SERIOUS whiteheads on my t zone! It was so sad:( I've tried other OCM and none of them seem to work for me. If you struggle with whiteheads, I do not recommend this product for you. It is a nice moisturizer for your hair and body though, so that's how I'll be finishing the bottle off.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Sugacube

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Super moisturizing! I love jojoba oil, however there are better brands for this oil. I prefer to buy organic jojoba oil from rosemountain.com or oil blend serums from http://www.etsy.com/shop/Arysa

This one is good but I rather use one that is free of pest.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2013 4:41:00 PM More reviews by dwautier

Made me breakout immediately and did not leave my skin feeling moisturized at all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2013 6:08:00 AM More reviews by nadeen4ever

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

cant say enough good things about tthis oil and can't recommend it more...love it ..gonna be staple in my skin and hair care regime ..LOVE

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by Pinky911

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my holy grail! Seriously, it doesn't make me break out...and trust me, lots of products do. I tried other oils and was not impressed (Argan Oil made my skin feel dry for some reason and I have oily, acne prone skin).
After I get out of the shower in the morning I apply this directly to my face and under my eyes. I also mix it in with my body lotion (I use an inexpensive Johnson & Johnson Cocoa Butter body lotion) and apply pretty much all over my body. Its great. Especially in the winter time. It sinks in to your skin (careful how much you use though...it can leave you oily if you use too much) and leaves me feeling sort of glowy and very moisturized. I think this is the first winter in a very long time that I haven't suffered from itchy rashy legs/skin and peeling on my face (typical winter side effects for my skin).

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No