April 20, 2014 | 959 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by Gogogo

I love this stuff. So much better than the MAC mascara base; it makes my lashes look way longer, less clumpy, and thicker. I don't have issues holding a curl but my eyelashes could always stand to look longer and healthier. I got this as a gift and don't think I'd buy it though, cause of the price. Idk though, let's see toward the end of the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 4:18:00 AM More reviews by redcoat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have used both of Shiseido mascara bases, the discontinued one and this one. In a nutshell, I think this has better formulation with its smooth consistency and holding power. I agree with other reviewers that the Nourishing Mascara Base holds a curl really well, is smudge and smear-resistant, as well as volumnises and lengthens. All qualities expected of a mascara base, this one delivers, and more.

But, this is not what amazes me about this product, I have tried other mascara bases that deliver satisfactorily. No, the thing about this product that got me hooked, and got me vowing to repeat-buy until they discontinue it (God forbid!), is the NOURISHING quality. The Nourishing bit in the name is no gimmick, it actually delivers!! I totally did not expect this when I bought it. I have long but somewhat sparse lashes. I have been using this product for about 3 months now, everyday before I apply mascara like I would do with any other mascara base, and I swear I'm not imagining things but my lashes are even longer, and thicker. I am completely wowed, and I am usually a skeptic when cosmetic companies claim to nourish, revitalise, repair etc. I repeat, this is something I did not expect at all and am beyond pleased with. My lashes are now longer, thicker and healthier-looking, although still straight (doubt I can do anything about that besides using an eyelash curler). LOVE!

Mascara base is a necessity for me, but when I find one that delivers more than expected, it becomes a product I am completely loyal to. Packaging may be a tad unimpressive, but who cares?

Anybody else using this product with similar results? Any added growth to your lashes?

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by catwoman1275

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is miraculous at holding curl. I have always had a problem with mascaras not holding curl. I have heard that Asians swear by this as they have stick straight lashes. I'm Caucasian with long lashes, but they're fine and straight. Most (if not all) waterproof mascaras hold curl, but they're too drying for everyday use, my lashes break and it's difficult to remove it, even with an oil based eye makeup remover.
Now if I use this primer I can use almost any mascara and the curl will hold. My all time favorite is Max Factor 2000 Calorie, but it's no longer available in the US so now I use MAC Plushlash. Shiseido, please don't ever discontinue this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2012 11:35:00 AM More reviews by nikkilovescici

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love this mascara base. I had lost a lot of lashes in the middle of the upper lid and after using this base my eyelashes have grown back in and also are thicker and longer. I see that this base has castor oil in it which I read helps the lashes to grow. HG for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by jlee2

This is a HG item for me - I am very impressed. With two coats of this mascara base, my eyelashes stay curly, separated, long and defined throughout the day. I have stick straight eyelashes and monolid Asian eyes, so getting my eyelashes to stay curled has always been an obstacle. Applying the base and letting it dry before putting on another mascara also reduces the inevitable smudginess that comes with 8 hr+ wear. I will definitely repurchase.

EDIT: I have found that when I use an eyeshadow primer, such as Stila Prime Pot or Urban Decay Primer Potion, the curl does not last all day - maybe five hours. Since I have monolid eyes, it is inevitable that the eyelid rubs against the eyelash and transfers the product. So I took off two lippies.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Lily21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My lashes: Short, straight, asian lashes. Without a base and mascara, they're pretty much non-existent. I definitely need a mascara base to help hold a curl. I was a BIG fan of the original Shiseido Mascara Base and was really disappointed when I found out it was discontinued. Great brush, great formula, kept a curl, and prevented smudging...why would they discontinue such a great product?! Anyway, as gross as it may sound, I kept my using my old one for some time before I finally tossed it and even then, it took me quite a while before taking the plunge and trying the new nourishing mascara base because I thought it wouldn't be as effective. I finally bought it after receiving a Christmas gift card and I'm glad I did!

Packaging, in my opinion, is sleeker, and the brush is slimmer, but still effective. As far as 'nourishing' my lashes, I think it's too soon to tell, but it doesn't contribute to any stiffness (perhaps that has to do with my mascara though). The formulation appears...lighter, smoother, and less clumpy than the original. I can't remember the price of the old Shiseido Mascara Base, but if I recall correctly, I paid about $25 CAD for this new one.

Bottom Line: I'm glad a took the plunge on this! It performs just as well, dare I say even better, than it's predecessor. It is on the expensive side, but for me, it's worth its price tag.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Goldenstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This isn't even remotely close to the old formula (which WAS holy grail). The old formula made all mascaras seem better than they actually were. I got used to only having to apply one coat of mascara, because it intensified my lashes so much. The new formula is just OK...nothing fantastic. It's a thinner formula & doesn't give any kind of "wow" effect concerning lash fullness. My lashes don't feel any more conditioned than they were without it. I'm really disappointed that the company changed the product. What in the world were they thinking??? I don't think they were. Stupid.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by HeCallsMeGorgeous

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Just as wonderful as Shiseido's previous mascara base which was darn near perfect. Wait... I take that back... this formulation is BETTER than it was before!!! The brush is skinnier so I can get to each and every lash. The product is a bit thinner so there's no issue with potential clumping. Best of all, it holds a curl just as good as it ever did. After using Shiseido's The Mascara Base for years,I was devastated to find it had been discontinued and had begun the ridiculous trial-&-error process of finding a new one that I loved just as much. After I tried and returned the first awful one (Lancone Cils Booster... yuck) I was so grateful to the MUAer who told me Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base existed. THIS STUFF ROCKS!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2011 10:13:00 PM More reviews by sunshine880

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was a big fan of the previous version of this product and was disappointed when they changed the formula. At first, I was not impressed with this. However, I read some reviews and realized the problem. You MUST let it dry before applying mascara (unlike the previous version). After I started doing this, it provides the same length, volume and curl-holding power as the previous version.

I cannot wear mascara without this. It makes my lashes look so long. Love this!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2011 1:10:00 PM More reviews by nettersbetter

I hate to say it, but I was a bit disappointed with this product. I was expecting volume, length and curl. I have STRAIGHT lashes that will not hold a curl. I tested this out by wearing it on one eye and not the other under my mascara and while it did hold the curl longer than the eye without the base, the curl still fell a significant amount at the end of the day.