Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is one fabulous primer for lashes. I have used primers in the past but because they tended to be white primers, I could never get them to look right, plus they used to make my lashes quite stiff. Not with this primer. It goes on fairly clear (as long as you don't use too much of it), then do not let it set, just let it go slightly tacky, then apply mascara. This only takes a few seconds to go tacky too, which means no waiting around. To me, this makes my lashes very full (I have quite sparse lashes), and I do not experience any clumpiness at all. I do feel it does condition my lashes too - I have experienced less lash fallout during the two months I have used it. I am still on my original wand, so don't know how much longer it will last as I use it almost every day. The only negative thing I would say is that it does make mascara a little harder to take off at the end of the day.
This is rather expensive (around 20 in the UK) but to me I really do feel, this time, you really do get what you pay for :o)
Edit: Jan 2013 Yes, this is till rather spendy but I am still using my first tube and have had it 6 months + (almost daily usage) and it is still going strong.

on 5/24/2012 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I never tried the original mascara base so I'm not going to be hard on this review. I curl my poker straight lashes and I apply this base. Woah, it's a miracle! My lashes did not uncurl! I don't notice any physical difference with the base improving the mascaras I wear. For some reason it makes it easier to remove mascara from my lashes. But what I do notice is the my lashes are much softer and stronger now then when I never used the base. I don't buy a lot of high end items, especially make-up but this primer (or base) is a must buy for me.

on 5/23/2012 10:59:00 PM

Had to try this because of the reviews. Just to warn, this stuff plus waterproof mascara on top equals VERY waterproof. I tried putting the base on, waiting a minute, then putting on mascara and it was a mess. I had tons of those weird pointies (those things that stick out in odd directions) on the tips of my lashes. Not good. Then, I tried not allowing the base to dry whatsoever. That worked alright. I noticed a little more length on my lashes, but it wasn't amazing. I'm actually split on whether I'd buy this again. BTW, unlike other bases this is a smooth, clear gel.

on 5/16/2012 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Still on my first tube, I received this as a sample first, tried it out on my short asian lashes and this worked great, it separated my lashes individually and made prepped them before i applied my shisiedo mascara...since then i'VE TRIED OTHER mascara bases from lancome, clinique, this is still my favorite..the brush is the perfect size for my bottom lashes as well...never touches my skin..

on 5/2/2012 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have never felt a need to review a product before this one. This is by far the BEST primer on the market! I have tried Clinique, Lancome, MAC, Estee Lauder to name a few. I have very short fine lashes that will not hold a curl. After reading the reviews I figured what the heck I'll give this one a shot. WOW!!!! My lashes look AMAZING!! The primer holds the curl and makes my mascara go on beautifully in only one coat. It is a little pricy but I'd pay double for what this has done for my lashes and in the long run it'll save me $$ on buying different mascara's looking for THE one! Looks like I've found it!!

Works just as well as the old formula for me. I have found any significant difference in the performance. I love that it hold the curl in my lashes and prevents mascara from running/smudging. Adds some length and volume, too.

on 4/19/2012 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This does not compare to the original formula. At best this holds a curl fabulously, but I can accomplish that with a waterproof mascara. This adds ok length, but it did nothing for volume like the old formula. This really works no better than using a lengthening waterproof mascara as a base then following with a second masacra. I can get the same effect for under $10.

on 4/10/2012 1:27:00 AM

I'm not very experimental with make up mainly because I like the simple but put together look with neutrals AND because I understand makeup to girls is like tech tools is to guys, impossible (figuratively speaking) to keep up with and can be very expensive. So I keep whatever works for me and am very loyal to it with the occasional straying which more often than not disappoints. So yeay to product loyalty and money saving.

So I mention money saving quite a bit here because this was SUCH a novelty idea to me. A mascara base? Really? Needless to say I tried the UD primer potion and didn't think it was necessary at all. So like every case of 'I finally caved in', it was due to rave reviews...and so I caved in and got myself this nourishing mascara base.

For some reason, I wasn't as skeptical with this product. Not sure why, but I was very excited. This paired with Lancome's L'Extreme mascara and BAM! I have the longest non false lashes I have ever seen myself have my entire life! LOVE! I first curl my lashes, use the base, then the mascara and when my lashes have 'set' I use a heated lash curler to just lift it a bit more and to push the tips down to have them curl (hard to describe). It adds a bit of volume to the L'Extreme which is specifically for lengthening which is great too!

Definitely an HG routine I'm sticking to for a VERY long time.

on 3/21/2012 5:56:00 PM

I love this stuff. So much better than the MAC mascara base; it makes my lashes look way longer, less clumpy, and thicker. I don't have issues holding a curl but my eyelashes could always stand to look longer and healthier. I got this as a gift and don't think I'd buy it though, cause of the price. Idk though, let's see toward the end of the bottle.

on 3/19/2012 4:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I have used both of Shiseido mascara bases, the discontinued one and this one. In a nutshell, I think this has better formulation with its smooth consistency and holding power. I agree with other reviewers that the Nourishing Mascara Base holds a curl really well, is smudge and smear-resistant, as well as volumnises and lengthens. All qualities expected of a mascara base, this one delivers, and more.

But, this is not what amazes me about this product, I have tried other mascara bases that deliver satisfactorily. No, the thing about this product that got me hooked, and got me vowing to repeat-buy until they discontinue it (God forbid!), is the NOURISHING quality. The Nourishing bit in the name is no gimmick, it actually delivers!! I totally did not expect this when I bought it. I have long but somewhat sparse lashes. I have been using this product for about 3 months now, everyday before I apply mascara like I would do with any other mascara base, and I swear I'm not imagining things but my lashes are even longer, and thicker. I am completely wowed, and I am usually a skeptic when cosmetic companies claim to nourish, revitalise, repair etc. I repeat, this is something I did not expect at all and am beyond pleased with. My lashes are now longer, thicker and healthier-looking, although still straight (doubt I can do anything about that besides using an eyelash curler). LOVE!

Mascara base is a necessity for me, but when I find one that delivers more than expected, it becomes a product I am completely loyal to. Packaging may be a tad unimpressive, but who cares?

Anybody else using this product with similar results? Any added growth to your lashes?

Popular Mascaras